[Guide] Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia) Hackintosh: Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura & Sonoma macOS installations with Open Core Legacy Patching

deeveedee

295 posts in this topic

I upgraded to OC 0.9.2.  No issues.  Currently booting Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura with OC 0.9.2 patched with OCLP 0.6.5.

I had a free minute, so I took some time to inspect my ACPI patches.  The SSDT-PNLF patch that I was using for this OC implementation was from Acidanthera and is WAY overkill.  In my original CLOVER implementation, I was using CLOVER's PNLF option.  I replaced my SSDT-PNLF with a simple version that sets UID = 0x10 (the value that I observed in Registry when using using the Acidanthera SSDT-PNLF).  Behavior is unchanged with the simpler SSDT.

I discovered that I no longer need to disable FeatureUnlock.kext.  With FeatureUnlock.kext version 1.1.4 enabled, this hack boots just fine.

EDIT: I am able to boot Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura with the same OC 0.9.2 EFI including FeatureUnlock.kext 1.1.4 and patched with OCLP 0.6.5.  All three macOSes boot and run well.

EDIT2: I am finding that I use Monterey more and more on this hack.  Monterey is more responsive and MS RemoteDesktop works better in Monterey (on this hack) than it does in Ventura.  At this time, I need Ventura only for XCode 14.3.  With the progress being made by the OCLP devs, I am sure that Ventura performance on this hack will only get better.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Upgrade to 13.4 from 13.3.1 was flawless.  Used the standard Apple OTA.

Spoiler

1958057830_Screenshot2023-05-18at3_58_09PM.png.7f9a6464e1411803db29de8f936339a0.png

My current EFI is a hybrid of my own custom EFI that I have been posting and documenting here, combined with the MBP6,2 EFI generated by OCLP 0.6.6 Beta (17 May 2023 nightly build).  EFI is built with Open Core 0.9.2 and the latest Acidanthera kexts.  I have applied post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.6 (17 May 2023).

Edited by deeveedee

Upgrade to Big Sur 11.7.7 completed successfully and without any issues.  Now booting Big Sur 11.7.7, Monterey 12.6.6 and Ventura 13.4 with the same OC 0.9.2 EFI, all patched with OCLP 0.6.6 Beta (17 May 2023).  Of the three, Big Sur is the most responsive and really does work very well on this hack.  It really is amazing how well all three of the latest macOS versions run on this legacy hack.  Many thanks to the OCLP developers who have restored the fun of hacking for me.

About This Hack

Spoiler

1638323878_ScreenShot2023-05-20at11_44_33AM.png.085af77809a1bfaa6e1838905b3178b3.png

When I was running Mojave and Catalina on this hack (using DosDude's patchers), I was able to improve system performance by disabling Spotlight, and enabling Display Accessibility Preferences "Reduce transparency" and "Reduce motion."  I have found that enabling "Reduce transparency" in OCLP-patched Big Sur causes System Preferences (and possibly Finder) to crash in a manner that is not recoverable within Big Sur.  The only way I have found to recover is to boot from another macOS volume and edit Big Sur's com.apple.universalaccess.plist (/Volumes/BigSur - Data/Users/<User>/Library/Preferences):

BigSur com.apple.universalaccess.plist - change reduceTransparency to "No / False"

426516218_ScreenShot2023-05-20at1_04_31PM.png.3ad416bbb736457e21f3c58efb8613b9.png

Enabling reduceTransparency in Monterey and Ventura does not cause any problems, although I'm not sure it helps.

• Like 1

EDIT: Bluetooth is working again in Ventura 13.4 with this fix.

===========================================

Currently experiencing BlueTooth issues after upgrading to Ventura 13.4.  See here.

Edited by deeveedee

I successfully used OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 to generate a new OC EFI (with AMFI and Library Validation both enabled) for my HackBookPro6,2. I then used OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 to apply post-install patches (after changing Host Model to MacBookPro6,2). My hack works so well that it now believes it's a real Mac and insists on being called a dMBP6,2 ("d" for Dell). My Hackinstein has achieved consciousness. It's alive! . Thank you OCLP developers!!!

Patching with OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 proceeded without a hitch.  The EFI changes for OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 (with AMFI and Library Validation both enabled) are as follows:

EFI Changes from OCLP 0.6.6 to OCLP 0.6.7Beta2
EFI/OC/config.plist

•  NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > boot-args: Remove amfi=0x80
  •  NVRAM > Add > 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 > OCLP-Version: 0.6.7, OCLP-Settings: Remove  -allow_amfi
  •  Kernel > Add > Item23: AMFIPass.kext
  •  Kernel > Patch: Remove Item1: Disable Library Validation Enforcement
  •  Kernel > Patch: Remove Item6: Disable _csr_check() in _vnode_check_signature

EFI/OC/Kexts

•  Add AMFIPass.kext
  •  Update Bluetooth-Spoof.kext (not sure if there were any changes)
  •  Upgraded Lilu.kext 1.6.5 -> 1.6.6

image.gif

EDIT: I used this new OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 EFI to perform a clean installation of Ventura 13.4 with a migration of apps/data from another Ventura volume.  I then applied the OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 post-install patches to the new Ventura 13.4 volume.  I fully understand that this installation on a hackintosh (with AMFI and Library Validation enabled) is not supported by the OCLP developers, so for me it is a proof of concept that I may not be able to upgrade and patch with future versions of OCLP.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 is working much better than I expected.

I am now booting and running Ventura 13.2.1 (the best Ventura so far in my opinion) on my dMBP6,2 (Dell MacBookPro6,2 :) ) using my OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 EFI (AMFI and Library Validation fully ENABLED). My current Ventura volume was previously installed with AMFI disabled and Library Validation disabled and patched with OCLP 0.6.6 (Release). After updating my EFI (to enable AMFI and enable Library Validation), I booted Ventura and applied post-install patches using OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 (after changing Settings > Host Model to "MacBookPro 6,2"). 0.6.7 post-install patches applied without any issues and now Ventura is running perfectly (for my purposes). I am able to transition existing volumes from AMFI-disabled/Library-Validation-Disabled to AMFI-enabled/Library-Validation-enabled without issues. I understand that this is just an indicator of progress and may not be true with future versions of OCLP. To me, this is an incredibly positive development.

Set Target Model

Spoiler

979961845_Screenshot2023-05-24at12_01_22PM.png.b63e76b093b5b16fd49bf36a41764893.png

Apply 0.6.7 Post-install patches over 0.6.6 patches

Spoiler

1067455517_Screenshot2023-05-24at12_01_51PM.png.a8f90a06c636f1573b4e0cedb9bde75e.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

I am now running Monterey 12.6.6 on this dMBP6,2 with AMFI and Library Validation fully ENABLED. I used the same procedure that I followed here for my Ventura volume. My Monterey 12.6.6 volume had been previously installed with AMFI and Library Validation DISABLED and patched with OCLP 0.6.6 (Release). I simply updated my OC 0.9.2 EFI to enable AMFI and Library Validation, booted Monterey 12.6.6 with the new EFI and then applied post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.7Beta2.

I was unable to perform the same "in-place" upgrade of BigSur 11.7.7 that I used for Monterey and Ventura, but I was able to perform a clean install and patch of Big Sur 11.7.7 with AMFI and Library Validation both enabled.  See details here.

EDIT: I am booting Big Sur 11.7.7, Monterey 12.6.6, Ventura 13.2.1 and Ventura 13.4 with the same OC 0.9.2 EFI (AMFI and Library Validation Enabled).  Granting app permissions (e.g., Microphone, Camera) no longer requires tccplus in all three versions of macOS.   Prior to enabling AMFI, I needed to use tccplus to grant Microphone and Camera permissions in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura.

EDIT: DhinaK set me straight on Discord.  She suggested installing OCLP0.6.7 Beta2 post-install patches to Big Sur BEFORE enabling AMFI/LV.  That worked!  
Lesson learned: If you have previously applied post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.6 to a volume with AMFI/LV disabled, install post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 (or newer) BEFORE enabling AMFI/LV.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

To revert OCLP root patches if unable to login to macOS after applying root patches: 

• boot recovery mode
  • bless --mount /Volumes/"Macintosh HD" --bootefi --last-sealed-snapshot  (where "Macintosh HD" is the volume name where the flawed patches were applied)
  • might have to force unmount and remount

EDIT: Leaving this post for others who may have experienced this problem. I was able to restore proper macOS upgrade behavior (13.2.1 -> 13.4) by resetting NVRAM. After resetting NVRAM, I am now seeing the 13.4 macOS upgrade after disabling "Kernel > Patch: Disable _csr_check() in _vnode_check_signature"

After resetting NVRAM, the OCLP 0.6.7b2 EFI works as-is with no changes.  The change I describe below is not necessary.  Sorry for the false alarm.

===================================

I noticed that I was no longer receiving upgrade prompts (e.g., 13.2.1 -> 13.4) after applying the OCLP 0.6.7Beta2 EFI changes (enabling AMFI and Library Validation).  I determined that this kernel patch is required on my hack in order to see the update prompts:

• Kernel > Patch:  Disable _csr_check() in _vnode_check_signature

I am currently running with this kernel patch restored in my OC config.plist.  Permission prompts (e.g., Camera, Microphone) are still working after this change.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Content Caching is an option in System Settings (in Ventura: System Settings > General > Sharing) that is only enabled on this hack if Content Caching is enabled in OC config.plist.  To enable the Content Caching option change "NVRAM > 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 > revpatch" from string "none" to "asset"

When set to "none," the Content Caching option is unavailable

Spoiler

Screenshot_2023-06-02_at_11_32.40_AM.png.8136710ab7f9de61aaa71315a2405035.png

When set to "asset," the Content Caching option is available (but still needs to be enabled or disabled)

Spoiler

145406715_Screenshot2023-06-02at12_12_38PM.png.4a7230cc89e5837ee986a851a6c2260a.png

• Like 1

With Ventura 13.4, I found that if I could not turn Bluetooth on again after turning it off.  I had to reboot in order to be able to turn Bluetooth on again.  This solution works for me.  With the solution, I can turn Bluetooth on again without rebooting.

Edited by deeveedee

I have performed clean installations of Ventura 13.2.1 and 13.4 with AMFI and Library Validation ENABLED.  I booted the macOS installers with my OC 0.9.2 EFI that has AMFI/Library Validation ENABLED and AMFIPass.kext injected and then patched the installed macOSes using the AMFIPass Beta branch of OCLP 0.6.7.  macOS installed and patched flawlessly without ever needing to disable AMFI.

EDIT: I am still experiencing minor display issues with MS Remote Desktop running in Ventura 13.4 (top and bottom of remote display are partially cut-off until I minimize and maximize the display).  Other than this, Ventura 13.4 is running very well.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Just installed Sonoma 14.0.  Painless install as posted here and here.

I'm using a single OC 0.9.2 EFI to boot Big Sur 11.7.7, Monterey 12.6.6, Ventura 13.2.1, Ventura 13.4 and Sonoma 14.0.  My EFI sets a MaxKernel limit on the AirportBrcm kexts so that they don't load in Sonoma:

AirportBrcm MaxKernel Limits for Sonoma

Spoiler

537529978_Screenshot2023-06-09at7_53_02AM.png.63abad94d45097de117723168f0d40b0.png

The Sonoma installer would not boot with these kexts enabled.

Edited by deeveedee

The procedure for changing the CPU Name in "About This Mac" is the same in Sonoma as the procedure I posted for Ventura here.

About This Hack: Sonoma 14.0

Spoiler

800899932_Screenshot2023-06-09at11_09_17AM.png.3b101bfb9695802a1c70a41c1df6bdc4.png

After testing zyxstd's fork of BrcmPatchRam 2.6.7 (including updated BluetoolFixup.kext), I no longer need to kill bluetoothd to turn Bluetooth back on after turning it off in Ventura 13.4.  I can turn Bluetooth on and off repeatedly and it works without problems when using zyxstd's BrcmPatchRam version 2.6.7 kexts.

At this time, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi does not work for me in Sonoma (Wi-Fi is a known issue.  zyxstd's BluetoolFixup.kext 2.6.7 does not fix Bluetooth for me in Sonoma).

Edited by deeveedee

OCLP Devs have successfully implemented made progress in implementing NVidia non-metal patches for Sonoma.  See the hint here.  We should have full NVidia Tesla acceleration on this HackBookPro6,2 in Sonoma after the next release a future release of OCLP.

Edited by deeveedee

I upgraded my HackBookPro6,2 EFI to OC 0.9.3.  Changes in new EFI are as follows (note that I'm not taking the time to update my EFI attachments in this thread, since experimentation with OCLP is still active).

OC0.9.2 -> OC0.9.3

• EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers/*.*
  • EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Tools/*.*
  • EFI/OC/Kexts
    • RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2
    • BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.6 -> 2.6.7
    • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext 2.6.6 -> 2.6.7
    • BrcmFirmwareData.kext 2.6.6 -> 2.6.7
    • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext 2.6.6 -> 2.6.7
    • FeatureUnlock.kext 1.1.4 -> 1.1.5
    • Lilu.kext 1.6.6 [Dev] -> 1.6.6 [Rel]
    • VirtualSMC.kext 1.3.1 -> 1.3.2
    • SMCBatteryManager.kext 1.3.1 -> 1.3.2
    • CryptexFixup.kext 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > boot-args: Remove -lilubetaall
    • UEFI > Output > ConsoleFont (String, Empty)
    • UEFI > ProtocolOverrides > PciIo (Boolean, False)
  • Applied new LegacyBoot
  • Applied new LogoutHook (uninstall, install)

*** NOTE *** The Acidanthera version of BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.7 does not include the Ventura/Sonoma improvements to BlueToolFixup.kext found in zyxsd's fork here.  Also note that despite the supposed Sonoma improvements in xyxsd's BluetoolFixup.kext, Bluetooth does not work for me in Sonoma.

=============================================

EDIT:  Big Sur 11.7.7, Monterey 12.6.6, Ventura 13.2.1, Ventura 13.4 and Sonoma 1.0 all boot and run as well as can be expected (very well in my opinion) with this same OC 0.9.3 EFI.  All patched with OCLP 0.6.7 (AMFIPass Beta 2 branch), AMFI and Library Validation ENABLED and AMFIPass.kext injected.

EDIT2: The zyxstd fixes for BluetoolFixup are being merged into the Acidanthera version of BrcmPatchRAM.

EDIT3: The nighly build of BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.8 from here is working for me.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

OCLP AMFIPass Beta3 has been released.  I have updated my EFI (changes below) and applied post-install patches.  So far, I don't notice any difference from Beta2.

AMFIPass Beta3 EFI changes

• EFI/OC/config.plist
    • NVRAM > Add > 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 > OCLP-Version = amfipass-b3
  • EFI/OC/Kexts
    • AMFIPass.kext 1.2.1 -> 1.3
  • Like 2

I am currently booting Big Sur 11.7.7, Monterey 12.6.6, Ventura 13.2.1 and Ventura 13.4 with the same EFI.  Big Sur 11.7.7 would NOT boot with AMFIPass.kext 1.3, so my config.plist conditionally injects AMFIPass.kext 1.2.1 for Big Sur and injects AMFIPass.kext 1.3 for Monterey and Ventura.  I left Big Sur patched with OCLP-AMFIPass-Beta2 and I patched Monterey and Ventura with AMFIPass-Beta3.

All versions of macOS are booting and running well with this configuration.

• Like 1