[Guide] Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia) Hackintosh: Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura & Sonoma macOS installations with Open Core Legacy Patching

deeveedee

295 posts in this topic

@FirstTimeCustomac  Yes.  I reported the issue on Discord and Dhinak fixed it.

Discord

Spoiler

1404354875_ScreenShot2023-06-18at9_37_50PM.png.c7651a63873bb207d85b7317ec7c66e1.png

The EFI changes from Beta3 to Beta4 are as follows:

• OCLP-Version = amfipass-b3 -> amfipass-b4
  • AMFIPass.kext 1.3 -> 1.3.1

EDIT: I am now booting Big Sur 11.7.7, Monterey 12.6.6, Ventura 13.2.1 and Ventura 13.4 with the same OC 0.9.3 EFI (AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1, AMFI and LV enabled). Thank you, OCLP Devs!

EDIT2: I've learned my lesson and won't post this on Discord or MacRumors: Sonoma boots fine with AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1, AMFI and LV enabled).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4

On 6/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, deeveedee said:

AMFIPass Beta3 EFI changes

• EFI/OC/config.plist
    • NVRAM > Add > 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 > OCLP-Version = amfipass-b3
  • EFI/OC/Kexts
    • AMFIPass.kext 1.2.1 -> 1.3

Good morning. In the hack, OCLP-Version = amfipass-b4 is also required or only AMFIPass.kext 1.4?

Edited by miliuco

@miliuco Unlike the numbered versions (e.g., 0.6.6 or 0.6.7), it doesn't appear to me that the AMFIPass Beta versions care about OCLP-Version.  I am just setting it to amfipass-b4 since that is what OCLP does when it generates the EFI.  When the AMFIPass Beta branch is merged with the main OCLP branch, I will change OCLP-Version to the number of the version.  It can't hurt anything to set OCLP-Version to amfipass-b4.

• Like 1

Ventura upgrade from 13.4 -> 13.4.1 proceeded without issues.  I was prompted to install the update (via OTA) and accepted the upgrade.  With OCLP-AMFIPass-Beta4, the OTA upgrade downloads the full macOS 13.4.1 installer and applies the upgrade.  Be patient with a bunch of reboots, but the upgrade did eventually finish.  After the upgrade, OCLP automatically prompted to re-install root-patches and automatically downloaded and installed the new KDK_13.4.1_22F82.pkg.

About This Hack: Ventura 13.4.1

Spoiler

680440318_Screenshot2023-06-21at5_20_21PM.png.1cda55050aafbf7c5e0e5310852c26b2.png

Same smooth upgrade experience for Monterey 12.6.6 -> 12.6.7 (with Safari 16.5.1 upgrade).  Booting with same EFI and applying post-install patches with OCLP-AMFIPass-Beta4.

About This Hack: Monterey 12.6.7

Spoiler

414635814_ScreenShot2023-06-21at7_16_32PM.png.58000395af74b2092362eee1ec61d71c.png

Same smooth upgrade for Big Sur 11.7.7 -> 11.7.8 with Safari 16.5.1.

About this Hack:: Big Sur 11.7.8

Spoiler

1191747658_ScreenShot2023-06-21at9_27_21PM.png.a21e24765b07ebda2d918f161e6cd166.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

You have done a great job getting the first generation i7 to finally boot and install.  I installed Ventura on another Mac to make it quicker and try to boot Asus G51JX in my signature.  It is a i7-920XM I upgraded from a i7-720M, runs hotter more heat-sinking done as you did.  I am curious when you had the reboot or stall which you finally solved, was this in verbose mode maybe you can remember where it stopped or what point in rebooted?  I have a screenshot of mine included is my config file and debug txt file.  I cannot for the life of me tell where things are going wrong with Verbose screenshot nor the debug txt file?

Asus has disabled the iGPU so its only the Nvidia GTX 330M and this is supported by OCLP it instals the tesla drivers.  I have a real MacBookPro with nearly the same specs but Dual graphics and is working perfectly with the GTX 330M.

Config and Debug Boot file.zipVerbose_screenshot.thumb.jpg.4b85ff9a2b154fbeea227a6c615bee06.jpg

Sonoma Beta 2 installs without any issues.  See here.

@oSxFr33k Maybe you could start with reviewing issues and my solutions here.  I was careful to post each issue I encountered in this thread, so you could also review this entire thread to see if anything helps.  Your CPU is in the Westmere family and your dGPU is natively supported by High Sierra, so your hack should work fine.

Since I'd rather not debug other hacks in this thread (leaving it exclusively for the Latitude E6410), if you don't solve the problem, start a thread for your hack and ping me from there.  I'd be happy to help if I can.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

I have to go back through pages 1 through 3 again and further mentions with Sonoma, but you mention you have changed Max/Min kernel for some kexts in the config, do you keep the same Max/Min version with updated versions of the kexts?

Edited by oSxFr33k

@oSxFr33k Not sure what you mean.  Use OCLP to generate the OC EFI for MBP6,2 and look in the config.plist.  You'll see that OCLP sets MinKernel and MaxKernel for some kexts in Kernel > Add.

EDIT: The Bluetooth problem that you referenced here is an old post that was ultimately solved with updates to BlueToolFixup.kext.  Read through this entire thread and read this to see my issues and the solutions.  You'll need to be patient, but it won't take you nearly as long to read as it took me to investigate, test and solve.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

As I've mentioned before, sleep / wake on this hack only became possible when I added missing ACPI code to turn off the dGPU in Method _PTS.  While I was experimenting to figure out the elusive sleep / wake, I added ACPI patches that were unnecessary, because I wasn't sure any of it would work.  I was reviewing my SSDT-GFX0 and discovered that I have some code that doesn't do anything (e.g., Method _PS3 which executes conditionally on OMPR == 0x03.  OMPR is always 0x02 in my ACPI, so Method _PS3 never does anything.  The ACPI code that changes the state of OMPR is missing (and apparently not needed).  

I'm sure there are other cases like this.  Since this hack is working so well (including perfect sleep / wake), I don't plan to change anything, but it is interesting to revisit memory lane.  At least this error wasn't cringe-worthy like many of my earlier attempts to hack 😂

• Like 1

I was doing some testing of multiple displays in this laptop (built-in LCD, external VGA, external DP).  All 3 graphics ports still work well in Ventura 13.4.1.  One additional thing that I noticed (not sure if I noticed and reported this before) is that the DP port is hot-pluggable.  The VGA port is not hot-pluggable and must be plugged in when the laptop boots and must remain plugged in.  DP displays can be attached to the DP port after the laptop is booted and the DP port accommodates detaching and re-attaching the display without issues.

• Like 1

Very smooth upgrade of Sonoma 14.0 Beta 2 -> Beta 3.  Booting with OC 0.9.3, patched with OCLP-AMFIPass-Beta4 (AMFI and Library Validation fully enabled). Upgrade was available and applied via OTA.  OCLP does not yet offer full non-metal patching for Sonoma, so I'm posting this with Firefox.

About This Hack: Sonoma 14.0 Beta 3

Spoiler

1839163133_Screenshot2023-07-05at7_59_58PM.png.8c3a897ab68c4b94249aac70ca52f29b.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

After taking a long break from posting my latest EFI, I have posted the OC 0.9.3 EFI that I use to boot Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma.  See the post here.

GB6 CPU Benchmark (Somoma 14.0 Beta 3)

Spoiler

1936293284_Screenshot2023-07-08at9_18_51AM.png.8b8d1cc3eb73ca0cb1d30e74ec39d813.png

Edited by deeveedee

Unless there are significant changes in the Acidanthera repo after this post, I don't see any reason to upgrade this hack to OC 0.9.4.  The only significant Acidanthera development that affects this hack is the release of BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.8 which includes Bluetooth fixes necessary on this hack.  Note that I probably will upgrade to OC 0.9.4 (along with any new Acidanthera kexts), but the only compelling upgrade appears to be BrcmPatchRAM from 2.6.7 -> 2.6.8.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I will be removing ACPI patch SSDT-SBUS.BUS0 because of the discussion starting here.  There doesn't appear to be any reason to add Device BUS0 to our hacks.

EDIT: I am currently running without any ACPI patches to SBUS (SSDT-SBUS.BUS0 is deleted from config.plist and from OC/ACPI, so there is no injection of Device Bus0).  I don't notice any difference in the operation of this hack. This reminds me that there are still hacking practices that I do "just because I've always done them" and that are not necessary.

Edited by deeveedee

There is a Safari update available in Big Sur 11.7.8.  I applied the update to Safari 16.5.2, but I have not re-applied OCLP-AMFIPass-Beta4 post-install patches.  So far, it appears that the updated Safari is working fine without re-applying OCLP post-install patches.

Safara 16.5.2 update

Spoiler

940531531_ScreenShot2023-07-13at7_28_23AM.png.58b2e377579a062c332621c7c2479399.png

EDIT: I applied OCLP-AMFIPass-Beta4 post-install patches (even though it doesn't appear that I needed to) and they applied without issues.  This hack continues to run Big Sur 11.7.8 "perfectly."

EDIT2: Same positive Safari 16.5.2 update experience with Monterey 12.6.7.

Edited by deeveedee

Sonoma 14.0 Beta 23A5286i update applied without any issues.  After the update, OCLP automatically prompted me to re-apply post-install patches.  This hack continues to run Sonoma very well, despite the lack of full NVidia Tesla non-metal graphics acceleration (very usable).  As a work-around for the incomplete graphics patching, I am posting this with Firefox.

About This Hack: Sonoma 14.0 Beta 23A5286i

Spoiler

1841640740_Screenshot2023-07-13at11_04_28AM.png.f7032280a8ede4d0be8a1a7d7644fa34.png

• Like 2

Something that still confuses me about this hack's USB port map (although my USB port mapping works without any problems in High Sierra, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma) is the PortType in USBPorts.kext.  If I follow what has become the generally accepted practice of setting PortType for the Bluetooth USB port to "Internal" (255), Bluetooth does not work.  I must set the Bluetooth USB PortType to 2 (which is from Rehabman's original documentation on USBInjectAll.kext / SSDT-UIAC).  Only the USB Hubs (EH01 and EH02) can be PortType "Internal" (255).

When USB PortType is 2, Hackintool reports the PortType as "ExpressCard" (which is not even an available PortType in the Hackintool pull-down menu).

From Rehabman's SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl

// Note:
// portType=0 seems to indicate normal external USB2 port (as seen in MacBookPro8,1)
// portType=2 seems to indicate "internal device" (as seen in MacBookPro8,1)
// portType=4 is used by MacBookPro8,3 (reason/purpose unknown)
//

Note that on my other hacks that do not have USB Hubs, portType=255 (internal) works for Bluetooth.  Maybe this unique portType is only for USB mapping where the ports are children of internal hubs.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OCLP Devs have announced their first OCLP patcher for Sonoma.  This new patcher targets metal-capable Macs, requires AMFI disabled and includes Broadcom Wi-Fi patches and kexts.  I continue to boot with an EFI that keeps AMFI enabled, so the new OCLP post-install patcher is not compatible with my configuration; however, I have confirmed that the new OCLP OC EFI changes do allow AirportBrcmFixup kexts to load in Sonoma.  Wi-Fi won't work without the new post-install patches and I am not going to be applying the new post-install patches to Sonoma at this time (since they require AMFI disabled).

The new OCLP EFI changes are as follows:

• EFI/OC/Kexts
    • Update AutoPkgInstaller.kext 1.0.1 -> 1.0.3
    • Add IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext 12.0
    • Add IOSkywalkFamily.kext 1.0
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Kernel > Add
      • Add IOSkywalkFamily.kext
      • Add IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext
      • Add IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext
      • Move AirportBrcmFixup.kext to after IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext
      • Remove MaxKernel (22.99.99) from AirportBrcmFixup.kext
      • Move AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext after AirportBrcmFixup.kext
      • Remove MaxKernel (22.99.99) from AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext
    • Kernel > Block
      • Add com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily

EDIT: I continue to determine the required changes to my EFI by generating the MBP6,2 OC EFI with OCLP (Build and Install Open Core) and then "diffing" the new EFI with my current EFI (diff the config.plist, diff the kexts, etc.).  I have found that using OCLP in this way works for me.  Others have criticized my approach and say that I should not be using OCLP to generate an OC EFI.  I don't understand why others have criticized this approach, since I believe there is more than one way for hackers to use OCLP. I will continue to use OCLP in the way that I have described, because this way works very well for me.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

The new OCLP-Sonoma generates an MBP6,2 EFI that includes "sbvmm" (replacing "asset") in config.plist:

<key>revpatch</key>
<string>sbvmm</string>

This revpatch property has been necessary on other hacks to ensure OTA's ability to identify incremental macOS Sonoma Beta upgrades.  I'm not sure why sbvmm would be necessary for MBP6,2, since I've had no trouble with incremental Beta updates for Sonoma on this platform.

sbvmm is used to patch in support for older SMBIOSes while still getting updates.

It replaces the older VMM kernel patches that may have affected other apps (such as bluetoothd) which check if macOS is running in a VM.
RestrictEvents now just patches it for the installer apps, and leaves everything else alone.

Also for your question about USB, I believe that port mapping may work differently for EHC controllers, I'm not well versed in it honestly. I've only worked with systems that exclusively used 3.0/XHC controllers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@1Revenger1 Thanks!  I hadn't noticed that the new EFI generated by OCLP-Sonoma eliminates the following kernel patches:

Reroute kern.hv_vmm_present patch (1)
Reroute kern.hv_vmm_present patch (2) Legacy
Reroute kern.hv_vmm_present patch (2) Ventura

Edited by deeveedee

I'm being prompted to install OTA updates for Big Sur (11.7.9), Monterey (12.6.8) and Ventura (13.5).  I'm in no rush to upgrade and will monitor the progress of others patching with OCLP before upgrading.

• Like 1