[Guide] Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia) Hackintosh: Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura & Sonoma macOS installations with Open Core Legacy Patching

deeveedee

295 posts in this topic

The OCLP-AMFIPass Beta period has ended, so hopefully this means that the next release of OCLP includes AMFIPass (AMFI and Library Validation enabled).

327600650_ScreenShot2023-07-26at8_09_29AM.png.9a8f13910085529e8813bdc7dc3352bd.png

• Like 1

OCLP 0.6.8 has been released.  This new release is supposed to include AMFIPass (eliminating the need to disable AMFI).  Here are a few things I am noticing about the new OCLP 0.6.8 release:

• It still uses OC 0.9.2 to build Open Core EFIs
  • It does not include the RestrictEvents.kext (sbvmm) fix (and thus still patches kernel for VMM spoofing

EDIT: I will be using a "Hybrid" OCLP solution that employes OC 0.9.3 and the RestrictEvents.kext sbvmm (revpatch) fix, while applying post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.8.

EDIT2: OCLP 0.6.8 successfully applied post-install patches to Ventura 13.4.1. My HackBookPro6,2 was previously patched with OCLP-AMFIPass-Beta4. WithAMFI and LV fully enabled (and AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1), the OCLP 0.6.8 post-install patches applied without any issues. Great job Devs!!!  The transition from the OCLP Beta branch to the production branch was painless.

I am currently running with the following "hybrid" configuration:

• Open Core 0.9.3 EFI with latest Acidanthera kexts (including RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.2 and BluetoolFixup.kext 2.6.8 [DEV])
  • revpatch = sbvmm in OC config.plist (a RestrictEvents.kext property that eliminates the need for VMM kernel patches)
  • AMFI and Library Validation fully enabled (AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1)
  • Post-install patches applies with OCLP 0.6.8

EDIT3: I was unable to perform a clean Ventura 13.5 install with revpatch=sbvmm.  Attempt to install resulted in 'unsupported' platform. I needed to revert to VMM kernel patches (revpatch=none) in order to perform a clean install of Ventura 13.5.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

PhotoBooth is now working on my HackBookPro6,2 patched with OCLP 0.6.8 (AMFI and LV Enabled). This is the first time that PhotoBooth has worked on my MBP6,2 in any macOS newer than Big Sur. Well done, Devs!

• Like 1

I am testing a clean install of Ventura 13.5 with OCLP 0.6.8 in a new APFS volume (leaving my other volumes untouched).  Ventura 13.5 has fixed the Microsoft Remote Desktop "clipping" issue that appeared in Ventura 13.4x.  So far, Ventura 13.5 with OCLP 0.6.8 appears to be a winning combination on this old HackBookPro6,2.

About This Hack: Ventura 13.5 (OCLP 0.6.8, OC 0.9.3, AMFI & LV Enabled, AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1, RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.2, revpatch=sbvmm)

Spoiler

1022751216_Screenshot2023-07-27at2_58_14PM.png.7764047ddea7e7576d982428344d1b04.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Leaving this post for historical purposes.  Newer developer builds of OCLP-Sonoma do not remove the VMM kernel patches.

==============================================

@1Revenger1 I hope you don't mind me pinging you, just wanted to make sure you knew this:

When AMFI and Library Validation are enabled in the OCLP-Sonoma GUI, OCLP generates an Open Core EFI without the following kernel patches and with property revpatch=sbvmm (for RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.2).

• Reroute kern.hv_vmm_present patch (1)
  • Reroute kern.hv_vmm_present patch (2) Legacy
  • Reroute kern.hv_vmm_present patch (2) Ventura

I have found that this EFI (without kernel patches) does not permit a clean installation of Ventura 13.5. I need to revert to an EFI with VMM kernel patches in order to perform a clean install of Ventura 13.5.  When I attempt to perform a clean install of Ventura 13.5 without the kernel patches, the installer fails with "unsupported platform."  If I add the kernel patches to my OC EFI, I am able to perform a clean install of Ventura 13.5 without issues.

EDIT: After installing macOS, I can remove VMM kernel patches and restore revpatch=sbvmm.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I attempted to use OCLP 0.6.9 [DEV, 07.27.23] to install legacy wi-fi patches for Sonoma Beta 3.  Patches install, Sonoma boots and my Wi-Fi is "on," but no networks are detected.  Details here.

EDIT: Same non-working Wi-Fi after upgrading to Sonoma Beta 4 and re-applying OCLP 0.6.9 legacy-wifi patches.

Edited by deeveedee

The OCLP Devs have once again done an amazing job with the release of OCLP 0.6.8.  I am currently running Big Sur 11.7.9, Monterey 12.6.8 and Ventura 13.5 all booting with a single OC 0.9.3 EFI and all patched with OCLP 0.6.8 post-install patches.  My EFI includes RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.2 (with revpatch=sbvmm, no VMM kernel patches) and BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.8 [Dev] kexts.  AMFI and LV is enabled (with AMFIPass.kext 1.3.1) and remained enabled during each macOS OTA upgrade.  Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura are working extremely well on this 2010 Dell Latitude E6410.  The transition from OCLP-AMFIPass-Beta4 to OCLP 0.6.8 was virtually flawless.  Well done, Devs!

About This Mac: Big Sur 11.7.9

Spoiler

2077309102_ScreenShot2023-07-27at7_57_07PM.png.2bcf84bc270aef2010cb13d872c4d6d8.png

About This Mac: Monterey 12.6.8

Spoiler

106692697_ScreenShot2023-07-27at10_51_11PM.png.0ba59bb546ecb6b24b47fbab50008de6.png

About This Mac: Ventura 13.5

Spoiler

1022751216_Screenshot2023-07-27at2_58_14PM.png.7764047ddea7e7576d982428344d1b04.png.5b97a7a0f903d1aebf9c1f9f59aaa893.png

The only "hiccup" I experienced during the OTA upgrades was that during the Monterey upgrade (from 12.6.7 to 12.6.8), Open Core boot picker did not automatically choose the "macOS Installer" menu item after the first Monterey installer reboot.  I needed to manually select "macOS Installer" from the menu and then the rest of the Monterey 12.6.8 upgrade proceeded without issues.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I was able to get Wi-Fi working in Sonoma 14.0 Beta 4.  See here and here.  See here and here.

Note that I am now persona non grata in the Sonoma Discord after asking what I thought was a simple question about BCM 94532HMB Wi-Fi (a question that was not answered and was of no help).  I really tried to make sure my questions in discord were relevant to both hacks and real Macs, but the Devs didn't see it that way.  I can't blame them.  The OCLP Devs (and OC Devs) are doing an amazing job.

Edited by deeveedee

I am performing a clean install of Sonoma to confirm my installation steps for this documentation.  A clean install of Sonoma requires VMM kernel patches just like a clean install of Ventura.  revpatch=sbvmm with RetrictEvents.kext is sufficient for a macOS upgrade but NOT for a clean macOS install on the hack.

I only need to add the kernel patches. I don't need to remove revpatch=sbvmm (or make any other config.plist changes).

EDIT: After re-installing Sonoma 14.0 Beta 4 from scratch, I am still able to patch my BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi with OCLP 0.6.9 post-install patches.  In order for OCLP to discover my Wi-Fi for patching, I must spoof the Wi-Fi device in a real MBP6,2 (not really a surprise, since OCLP is designed only for real Macs).  This device spoofing requires binary rename of PXSX -> ARPT and changing the device name to "pci14e4,4353" (that of Wi-Fi in a real MBP6,2).  See here and here.

Edited by deeveedee

EDIT: Leaving this post for historical and educational purposes, but the easier solution will be to use a modified OCLP patcher that forces "modern_wifi" patching.  Hopefully the OCLP GUI will offer the "modern_wifi" forcing as an option.

EDIT: I have simplified the Wi-Fi spoofing (necessary for OCLP 0.6.9+ to detect Wi-Fi for patching).  See here.  With this new discovery and simplification, there is no need to modify OCLP code.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I am so paranoid about providing misinformation regarding Sonoma installation on this hack, that I performed yet another clean install and patching.  I have confirmed that Wi-Fi spoofing via ACPI patches is required in order for OCLP 0.6.9 post-install patcher to detect the BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi on this hack (SMBIOS MBP6,2).  The steps that I performed for a clean installation of Sonoma on this hack are listed below.  You may need to adapt these steps and the attached files to your hack.

1. Start with OC 0.9.3 EFI that includes VMM kernel patches (here) and ACPI patches to spoof Wi-Fi.  The VMM kernel patches are required to perform a clean installation of macOS on this hack and the Wi-Fi spoofing is required to apply OCLP post-install Wi-Fi patches.  OCLP post-install patcher is looking for Wi-Fi on a real Mac.  We'll remove the VMM kernel patches and Wi-Fi ACPI patches after Sonoma is installed and post-install patches are applied.  See attached config-install.plist which is the actual config.plist that I used to install and patch Sonoma on this hack.  See attached SSDT-ARPT to see my Wi-Fi spoofing.  I think I modified too many parameters, but since figuring this out was so time consuming, I didn't take the time to minimize the SSDT patches.  It works.  Note that the VMM kernel patches are not required to perform a macOS upgrade - they are only required to perform a clean install of macOS.
  2. Create a Sonoma USB installer
  3. Not sure this is necessary, but you may need to connect your PC to wired Ethernet so that you have network connectivity during the Sonoma installation
  4. Boot the Sonoma USB installer using the EFI in step 1
  5. After Sonoma is installed, install LogoutHook (OC Utilities) (This is necessary on this hack to have emulated NVRAM.  If your hack has natively working NVRAM, you don't need this)
  6. Apply post-install patches for Wi-Fi and Nvidia Tesla using OCLP 0.6.9 nightly build (Nvidia Tesla patches do not provide full graphics acceleration at this time).  With the ACPI Wi-Fi patches to Spoof Wi-Fi of a real MBP6,2, OCLP post-install patcher will detect Wi-Fi for patching
  7. Remove VMM kernel patches and Wi-Fi spoofing ACPI patches from EFI.  See attached config-run.plist to see the actual config.plist that I am using.  After Sonoma is installed and post-install patches are applied to Sonoma, Wi-Fi spoofing and VMM kernel patches are no longer necessary.
  8. Reboot.  Sonoma is now installed and running with working Wi-Fi

EDIT: I am now doing some testing to find ways to reduce my ACPI patching while preserving the functionality of OCLP 0.6.9 Wi-Fi patching.  I am finding that I am able to eliminate the PXSX->ARPT binary rename (keeping just the SSDT-ARPT patch.  Without the binary rename, the OCLP 0.6.9 post-install patcher still detects my BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi.  With the elimination of the PXSX-ARPT binary rename (disable PXSX->ARPT ACPI > Patch in the config.plist), the SSDT-ARPT must be modified so that the device path is \_SB.PCI0.RP02.PXSX.  Again, with only the SSDT ACPI patch (and not the PXSX->ARPT binary rename), OCLP 0.6.9 post-install patcher still detects my Wi-Fi for patching.  I will continue to look for ways to reduce the required patching, with my next focus on reducing the number of patched parameters in the SSDT.

config-install.plist.zip config-run.plist.zip SSDT-ARPT.aml.zip

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, deeveedee said:

I am so paranoid about providing misinformation regarding Sonoma installation on this hack, that I performed yet another clean install and patching.  I have confirmed that Wi-Fi spoofing via ACPI patches is required in order for OCLP 0.6.9 post-install patcher to detect the BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi on this hack (SMBIOS MBP6,2).  The steps that I performed for a clean installation of Sonoma on this hack are listed below.  You may need to adapt these steps and the attached files to your hack.

1. Start with OC 0.9.3 EFI that includes VMM kernel patches (here) and ACPI patches to spoof Wi-Fi.  The VMM kernel patches are required to perform a clean installation of macOS on this hack and the Wi-Fi spoofing is required to apply OCLP post-install Wi-Fi patches.  OCLP post-install patcher is looking for Wi-Fi on a real Mac.  We'll remove the VMM kernel patches and Wi-Fi ACPI patches after Sonoma is installed and post-install patches are applied.  See attached config-install.plist which is the actual config.plist that I used to install and patch Sonoma on this hack.  See attached SSDT-ARPT to see my Wi-Fi spoofing.  I think I modified too many parameters, but since figuring this out was so time consuming, I didn't take the time to minimize the SSDT patches.  It works.  Note that the VMM kernel patches are not required to perform a macOS upgrade - they are only required to perform a clean install of macOS.
  2. Create a Sonoma USB installer
  3. Boot the Sonoma USB installer using the EFI in step 1
  4. After Sonoma is installed, install LogoutHook (OC Utilities) (This is necessary on this hack to have emulated NVRAM.  If your hack has natively working NVRAM, you don't need this)
  5. Apply post-install patches for Wi-Fi and Nvidia Tesla using OCLP 0.6.9 nightly build (Nvidia Tesla patches do not provide full graphics acceleration at this time).  With the ACPI Wi-Fi patches to Spoof Wi-Fi of a real MBP6,2, OCLP post-install patcher will detect Wi-Fi for patching
  6. Remove VMM kernel patches and Wi-Fi spoofing ACPI patches from EFI.  See attached config-run.plist to see the actual config.plist that I am using.  After Sonoma is installed and post-install patches are applied to Sonoma, Wi-Fi spoofing and VMM kernel patches are no longer necessary.
  7. Reboot.  Sonoma is now installed and running with working Wi-Fi

config-install.plist.zip 9.01 kB · 1 download config-run.plist.zip 8.66 kB · 1 download SSDT-ARPT.aml.zip 659 B · 1 download

You have my respect!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

You have my respect!

This whole process really has been a great team effort.  I'm glad to be able to contribute after all that you and others have contributed to this hackintosh movement.  I've said it before ... I'm going to miss this collaboration after Apple completely drops Intel support.  For now, I'll continue to enjoy the ride with you and others on the team.

• Like 3

Creating a working OCLP patching solution for Sonoma has helped me to develop an even greater appreciation for the OCLP Developers.  There are many who wonder why the OCLP Devs don't offer support for hackintoshes.  Think about how challenging it is for the Devs to produce working patching solutions for the numerous real Macs.  Now consider the numerous Wintel PCs and the variations that exist within each PC.  Each Wintel PC has different ACPI.  What's also true is that there is no guarantee that individuals have properly applied ACPI patches to their hacks (in fact, it is clear that many have simply copied their ACPI patches from someone else and have no idea how the ACPI patches are working on their own hacks).

It would be virtually impossible for the OCLP Devs to support hacks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miliuco said:

@deeveedee

Excellent work! Afaik, you are the one who has found a fix to have BCM 94352HMB on Sonoma 👏

You are one of the MVPs of the hackintosh community.  Tirelessly and unselfishly supporting others.  I wish I had your patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For now, I'll continue to use the ACPI patching solution posted in this thread since it allows this hack to use the unmodified release of OCLP for patching, but for others who don't want to (or can't) patch ACPI, this solution with a modified OCLP is a good solution.

When OCLP patcher includes an option to "force" modern wi-fi patching, I'll definitely stop using the ACPI patching solution.  Unfortunately, the ACPI patch affects the behavior of Wi-Fi, so it can only be used temporarily for OCLP patcher, but the ACPI patch must be disabled for normal operation.

Deleted.  There is no need to modify OCLP code as determined here.

Edited by deeveedee

The upgrade to Sonoma 14.0 Beta 23A5301h proceeded without any issues.  See details here.

EDIT: This upgrade went so smoothly that I think I will stay with my Wi-Fi spoofing. I simply swapped my config.plist to the Wi-Fi spoofing config, performed the macOS upgrade and then  swapped my config back to the non-spoofing config.  Very easy and I like using Dortania's official OCLP build.

I am now using the attached SSDT-ARPT without PXSX->ARPT binary rename 

EDIT: There is no longer a need to swap configs for patching and running.  With this simplified Wi-Fi spoofing patch, the patch can be applied permanently to facilitate OCLP's post-install Wi-Fi patching and the patch can remain in place during normal operation.

SSDT-ARPT.aml.zip

Edited by deeveedee

I have simplified my Sonoma Wi-Fi ACPI patch as described here.  With this simple patch, OCLP 0.6.9 can discover and patch BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi without any OCLP code changes and the patch never needs to be removed - the patch is applied permanently so that it remains during normal operation.

EDIT: Stefanalmare and I have confirmed that this ACPI patch can be implemented as an OC DeviceProperty. See here and here.

With either the SSDT or DeviceProperty (choose the one you prefer), OCLP detects Wi-Fi in Sonoma for post-install patching

Spoiler

1283465199_Screenshot2023-08-04at8_24_52PM.png.0fa10edc4b51d3612b9b800b990c1d70.png

and Wi-Fi operates normally in macOS without having to remove the patch.  The patch can remain a permanent part of the EFI.  I am multi-booting Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma with this patch and all work fine.

EDIT2: The advantage of implementing this ACPI patch with an SSDT is that the SSDT patch can be conditional on "Darwin" so that the patch applies only to macOS and not Windows or Linux.  I am not sure if this patch affects Windows or Linux booted with OC.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

It appears that we can spoof any OCLP-supported Wi-Fi.  Details below.

When I was first experimenting with ACPI patches to "spoof" Wi-Fi for OCLP post-install patcher, I started by spoofing the actual Wi-Fi in a real MBP6,2 ("pci14e4,4353") which is also in this table of supported OCLP Wi-Fi devices:

OCLP supported Wi-Fi Devices

Spoiler

1649145555_Screenshot2023-08-05at11_29_45AM.png.3bf4f3fd9e0e9d1fd00c433944548933.png

Early in my experimentation, I didn't understand the difference between OCLP's "legacy_wifi" and "modern_wifi" (and I still don't) so I was guessing at a few things.  Choosing the actual Wi-Fi device from a real MBP6,2 seemed to me to be a way to minimize guesses/variables.

I just re-ran my testing while spoofing a new Wi-Fi device (also in the OCLP Supported Wi-Fi Devices table): "pci14e4,43a3"

My test results are unchanged.  With IOName = "pci14e4,43a3" OCLP 0.6.9 detects "Modern Wireless" for Wi-Fi patching and macOS Wi-Fi operates normally.

My initial guess that OCLP patcher may somehow be matching the SMBIOS Model (e.g., MBP6,2) with the actual Wi-Fi device of that model (e.g., "pci14e4,4353") appears to be wrong.  We may just be able to spoof any Wi-Fi device in the OCLP supported Wi-Fi device table to trick OCLP into applying the Wi-Fi post-install patches.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I have upgraded from OC 0.9.3 -> OC 0.9.4 without any difficulty.  The upgrade was very easy.  I am not observing any differences after the upgrade, but I didn't expect any for this hack.  My OC upgrade required the following changes:

• EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers/*.* (all except for HfsPlusLegacy.efi which did not require an upgrade)
  • EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Tools/*.*
  • EFI/OC/Kexts
    • BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.8 [Dev] -> 2.6.8 [Rel]
    • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext 2.6.8 [Dev] -> 2.6.8 [Rel]
    • BrcmFirmwareData.kext 2.6.8 [Dev] -> 2.6.8 [Rel]
    • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext 2.6.8 [Dev] -> 2.6.8 [Rel]
    • Lilu.kext 1.6.6 -> 1.6.7
    • AppleALC.kext 1.8.2 -> 1.8.4
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Misc > Boot
      • Add InstanceIdentifier (String, empty)
  • Applied new LegacyBoot
  • Applied new LogoutHook (uninstall, install)
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I upgraded this hack from Sonoma Beta 4 to Sonoma Beta 5.  The upgrade was painless.  See details here.

EDIT: Now that I've performed a few Sonoma upgrades, it appears that these VMM kernel patches are necessary for the upgrade (and also when performing a  clean macOS install).  I have two config.plists: one with the VMM kernel patches and one without (no other changes).  For the upgrade, I boot with the config that includes the VMM kernel patches.  After the upgrade, I swap configs so that I'm booting without VMM kernel patches.  If I do not include the VMM kernel patches for the upgrade, the macOS Installer gets stuck in a boot loop.  I have not spent any time debugging this, since the work-around is easy.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1