Sonoma Wi-Fi solutions that do not require disabled SIP (e.g. Intel AX210)

miliuco
173 posts in this topic

Wi-Fi 6 Intel AX210 on macOS Sonoma

macOS Sonoma removed drivers for Broadcom Wi-Fi cards found in Mac models prior to 2017. One of the affected cards is the Fenvi T-919, widely used in Hacks. OCLP developers published a fix that allows these Wi-Fi to work in Sonoma, adding this feature to the root patches that OCLP can apply. In order to apply root patches, OCLP requires macOS to run with some relaxed security features: SecureBootModel disabled and SIP partially disabled. This still represents a certain loss of security in macOS, as some users have noted (a reminder to @deeveedee).

Here I propose a model of Intel Wi-Fi card that by default lacks support but can be used in Sonoma thanks to the work of the OpenIntelWireless site. This is the Intel AX210S PCIe WiFi 6E card. This card can work with regular macOS security conditions without needing to relax Apple Secure Boot or SIP. It may be interesting for those who lack Wi-Fi in Sonoma or for those who want to keep the security of their system without resorting to OCLP patches.

Hardware

The card can be purchased in 2 different ways:

• fully assembled by Ziyituod and others: WiFi 6E Intel AX210S PCIe
  • in 2 parts, card itself on the one hand (WiFi 6E Intel AX210 NGW Bluetooth Card for Laptop with M.2/NGFF Connector) and adapter on the other (PCIE X1 to M.2/NGFF A+E Key Adapter for WiFi Bluetooth Module).

Spoiler

Ziyituod.thumb.png.df1fc82c0108c5ec755ec8449f556a24.png

Adapter.thumb.jpg.9804ceb13ec90e8f2c15ffcb7182fdb8.jpg

Card.thumb.jpg.e675f9b7389be97dfa101f363ca33f9a.jpg

Revert OCLP patch and config.plist changes

In config.plist:

• disable kexts (IOSkywalk.kext, IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext and AirPortBrcmNIC.kext)
  • disable IOSkywalk.kext blocking
  • change csr-active-config to 00000000
  • change Secure Boot Model to a value other than Disabled.

From OpenCore-Patcher >> Post-Install Root Patch >> Revert Root Patches.

Installing wifi module

The 2 kexts are available on the OpenIntelWireless site.

There are 2 ways to install Wi-Fi:

• itlwm.kext: uses IOEthernetController instead of IO80211Family so the connection spoofs as Ethernet even though it works as wifi. It does not use the macOS Wi-Fi menu, instead you have to use the HeliPort application.
  • AirportItlwm.kext: uses IO80211Family so it works like the rest of the system's Wi-Fi connections. It provides minimal Continuity features (Handoff and Universal Clipboard) but appears to have lower stability than itlwm.kext and cannot connect to hidden networks. No HeliPort needed.

Both kexts should not be used at the same time, only one of them. I have tried both and they seem to have worked well, in my opinion the stability is very similar although with AirportItlwm.kext Photos app sometimes displays the "poor network with synchronization paused" message. The card is well detected, as you can see in Hackintool.

Spoiler

Hackintool.thumb.png.45b6c7e9c281016883e55a47c68a65c6.png

I am using HeliPort from diepeterpan, it is a fork of the original but has performance and interface improvements. From the HeliPort icon in the menu bar you can connect and disconnect Wi-Fi networks as well as set it to be added to the startup items.

Spoiler

Heliportmenu2.thumb.png.6a7ef31976db281828c2a367b0cae4c3.png

Installing Bluetooth module

On Monterey and newer you have to install 3 extensions:

• IntelBTPatcher.kext (available in OpenIntelWireless), requires Lilu 1.6.2 >> fixes a bug in bluetoothd by correctly initializing the bluetooth module
  • IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext (available on OpenIntelWireless), at least version 2.2.0 >> load the firmware to the device and set the device name in USB Host Controller to Bluetooth USB Host Controller
  • BlueToolFixup.kext (available in Acidanthera's BrcmPatchRAM package) >> on macOS Monterey IntelBluetoothInjector.kext stopped working due to changes made by Apple to the Bluetooth stack.

Performance

The Intel wifi card has performance not so different from the Fenvi with Broadcom. As for the 2 ways to install it, AirportItlwm.kext gives a better score.

Spoiler

Testitlwm.thumb.png.348d6a191c5b62e3ca762e8cfe3a1c5c.png

TestAirportItlwm.thumb.png.3cbf17d4c7e5f4efa80a4a46d3accdfd.png

Summary

This hardware is a valid option for those who do not have Wi-Fi in Sonoma or do not want to apply OCLP patches. It is not expensive and is easy to install. As a main drawback, the features of the Apple ecosystem are lost (all with itlwm.kext and most with AirportItlwm.kext). Airdrop does not work in any way and this is the feature that I miss the most with respect to the Fenvi.

Thanks @Max.1974

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

@miliuco   :plane: 

Congratulations my dear friend, I'm loving using Intel's Wi-FI 6E cards, both native with my Z790 AORUS ELITE AX, which comes native with the AX211, and like yours, which I put in the Lenovo. Simply wonderful. I only use Broadcom Bluetooth which has HID Proxy and with USB mapping I prevent and block Bluetooth from Intel Wi-FI, and it was wonderfully perfect. Great post-tutorial from you, as always!!!

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.78aebce164e298d514c3374340953496.png

• Like 2

@miliuco Excellent work.  Do you mind posting a link to this thread here?

EDIT: I wonder if OCLP Devs could use a similar approach to enable Broadcom Wi-Fi in Sonoma without the security downgrades.  I suspect there would be compromises (e.g., maybe no AirDrop), but the approach would allow continued use of Broadcom Wi-Fi for those who don't want to disable SIP and break the macOS seal to inject root patches.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Hi @miliuco my friend, im forgot to said that  friend of mine who has a Discord channel - Hackintosh and Beyond - created two NEW Kexts to help users with Intel Wifi and Broadcom as well.

Its functions are to make Bluetooth and Wireless connections native. Opencore does not recognize these kexts like native, but there is no contraindication for use and was very solid performance.

It will make the system much more solid and connective. If you wish, the links are below. 

We use with success LocalSend App from Apple Store that is so much  better than AirDrop, more faster and Multiplatform 

LocalSend App 

https://apps.apple.com/br/app/localsend/id1661733229 

YouTube vídeo Installation 

Spoiler

Airport Utility

https://github.com/hnanoto/AirPort-Utility

Bluetooth File Exchange

https://github.com/hnanoto/Bluetooth-File-Exchange

Discord: https://discord.gg/pUYJeNcE 

Best regards!! 

AirPort Utility.kext.zip Bluetooth File Exchange.kext.zip

Edited by Max.1974
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, miliuco said:

@Max.1974

Airport Utility doesn't work for me. I put it in Kexts folder and config.plist, disabling itlwm and AirportItlwm. Is this the way?

Hi my dear friend, you can use only one kexts from intel, or Airportltwm, or itlwm. It's recommended by developer, but im sure that you know. 

The kexts Airpot Utility and Bluetooth Exchange you can use normally like any another kext. Enable all others kexts mentioned above. Not exclude intel, use all of them together 

So you can see better performance and connectivity with Bluetooth. The same with Broadcom, if you will use on Ventura, for exemple. Can you use together 

Sorry not detailer more than usual. 

Best Regards my friend!! 

:guitar:

Captura de Tela 2023-11-12 às 00.30.33.png

Edited by Max.1974
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@miliuco I'm using itlwm.kext v2.2.0 (stable) with Heliport 1.4.1 in Sonoma 14.1.1 (Release) on my MBP15,2 (HP Envy).  Easy install.  Very clever the way itlwm uses an Ethernet interface so that it does not need macOS 802.11 framework.  I only need basic Wi-Fi capability, so this is perfect for me.  No need to break APFS seal, no need to inject uncertified root patches, no need to partially disable SIP.  This Intel solution has come a long way since I last looked at it.

EDIT: Intel Bluetooth working (in my limited testing so far) in Sonoma 14.1.1 with 

• IntelBTPatcher.kext 2.3.0
  • IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext 2.3.0
  • BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.8
Edited by deeveedee

@deeveedee

Good morning.

I see that the Intel AX210 gets better wifi bandwidth scores than Broadcom Fenvi T919, not much better but consistently.

Its performance in this aspect is excellent, leaving aside Apple's specific functions.

I use Heliport by diepeterpan, especially because the interface when displaying the menu is more developed (with official Heliport sometimes text elements of drop-down menu are clipped or overlapped) but also according to the developer it has some better changes specific to Sonoma. Like you, I have itlwm 2.2.0 stable. If I have to say a (small) drawback, it is that, when turning on the computer, Heliport takes longer to connect to the network than with Broadcom using macOS 802.11 framework but I'm talking about a few seconds longer.
I have also tried AirportItlwm 2.3.0 alpha. Wifi connects faster when starting up, Heliport is not needed and the speed is slightly faster than itlwm but Photos app shows a message of sync paused due to poor network and I have to click the Resume sync button. With itlwm this does not happen.

Regarding Bluetooth, I have the same kexts as you but in a different order in config.plist, I don't know if this has any influence:

• BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.8.

BT works fine with only one drawback that appears to be cosmetic: in System Profiler >> Bluetooth >> Chipset it says THIRD_PARTY_DONGLE. I see users here who have a specific chipset model. I don't know why it happens and I haven't found a way to change it.
I have also tried 2 boot args but I have not observed any differences. Do you have these boot args?

<key>NVRAM</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Add</key>
		<dict>
			<key>7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
			<dict>
				<key>bluetoothInternalControllerInfo</key>
				<data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=</data>
				<key>bluetoothExternalDongleFailed</key>
				<data>AA==</data>
			</dict>
		</dict>
		<key>Delete</key>
		<dict>
			<key>7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
			<array>
				<string>bluetoothInternalControllerInfo</string>
				<string>bluetoothExternalDongleFailed</string>
			</array>
		</dict>
	</dict>

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

@miliuco I don't really know. I only needed to figure out the used Firmware to compile a slimmed down IntelBTFirmware kext that only contains the firmware for my card which drastically reduces the size of the kext.

Maybe you need to change the USB Port Mapping so that the port the BT card is connected to is detected as "internal" and not as a "USB2" . Or is it in fact a dongle?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, miliuco said:

I use Heliport by diepeterpan, especially because the interface when displaying the menu is more developed (with official Heliport sometimes text elements of drop-down menu are clipped or overlapped) but also according to the developer it has some better changes specific to Sonoma. Like you,

I have itlwm 2.2.0 stable. If I have to say a (small) drawback, it is that, when turning on the computer, Heliport takes longer to connect to the network than with Broadcom using macOS 802.11 framework but I'm talking about a few seconds longer.

Regarding Bluetooth, I have the same kexts as you but in a different order in config.plist, I don't know if this has any influence:

• BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.8.

BT works fine with only one drawback that appears to be cosmetic: in System Profiler >> Bluetooth >> Chipset it says THIRD_PARTY_DONGLE. I see users here who have a specific chipset model. I don't know why it happens and I haven't found a way to change it.

I have also tried 2 boot args but I have not observed any differences. Do you have these boot args?

I have observed the compressed drop-down menu.  I find that if I unselect and reselect the drop down menu, the menu is fixed.

I have not observed the longer connection time.

Maybe the kext order doesn't matter.  I took the order from here.  I'm just adding the kexts in the order they were listed in the documentation.

My Bluetooth appears as follows.  Its USB port is Internal.  I don't think it matters, but I am replacing DMAR with a modified DMAR that removes XHC Reserved Region.

Screenshot2023-11-26at9_03_34AM.png.cab46c7ce4c484aac007f1b90862920f.png

I do not have the NVRAM adds/deletes (although I did use these before zxystd incorporated these fixes into his BlueToolFixup.kext mods).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@deeveedee

Yes, I have also found that dropdown menu was fixed unselecting and reselecting items. 

I'll try changing kexts order, orderig them as you do and comment.

You have a name in Chipset, where I have THIRD_PARTY_DONGLE. Maybe this happens sometimes although I guess you are also using an Intel AX210 card, right? As me.

@cankiulascmnfye

It's not a real dongle, it's a PICe card. USB port where BT cable is plugged is set as internal in UTBMap. 

From what I have read, there are users who have THIRD_PARTY DONGLE and there are others who have a specific chipset. It doesn't seem to affect the operation but I don't like seeing it like this.

Perfectly ok to keep asking questions.  If I stopped when my hack started working and I didn't continue to tweak and ask questions, how boring that would have been.  I don't know why you see THIRD_PARTY DONGLE but would certainly like to know.

EDIT: @miliuco I don't have an AX210.  I'll have to find the card model number, but it's not AX210.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Hello my friend @miliuco , I had the privilege, even though I didn't know it at the time, of having purchased a Z790 Aorus Elite AX, which comes with an AX211 wireless card, WI-FI 6E M.2 slot: CNVio2. To my surprise, I can use the Pcie Bluetooth that comes with the Broadcom card, isolating the Intel Bluetooth with mapping. And I use both Wireless Cards, whether on the Intel Sonoma or the Broadcom Ventura, which because the latter is native, I don't need kexts, and can boot with just the Intel ones. The correct name appears there. Native Bluetooth BCM_20702B0.

Greetings

:plano:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4dc6915d18d337500468d197631b4b49.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deeveedee said:

My Wi-Fi card is an older Intel  7265.  Sorry I was OT in this thread.

Not, my friend, maybe this thread should have orientation towards wifi card not needing relaxed security on Sonoma, as the thread in MR.

So, Intel 7265, although old, is a valid option. 

@Max.1974

Congratulations, enjoy the new beast. 
A thread with guide to have maOS in this mobo is expected 🙂

Edited by miliuco
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, miliuco said:

Not, my friend, maybe this thread should have orientation towards wifi card not needing relaxed security on Sonoma, as the thread in MR.

So, Intel 7265, although old, is a valid option. 

@Max.1974

Congratulations, enjoy the new beast. 
A thread with guide to have maOS in this mobo is expected 🙂

I will do it for you my friend, soon !! And the good guys here too!! 

• Like 1

Sorry if I'm mentioning something that everyone else already knows (I'm new to the Intel Wireless scene) ... I was able to add Heliport 1.4.1 (stable branch here) to my Sonoma 14.1.1 login items via System Preferences > General > Login Items.

Screenshot2023-11-27at12_16_38PM.png.545adfa7d556638a7dcc1d17db7ea4a6.png

I was not able to add HeliPort 1.4.1 to Login Items via the Heliport "Option" menu.  Once added to Login Items, Heliport does launch automatically after login, albeit with a slight delay as mentioned by @miliuco

EDIT: My initial tests of Bluetooth are promising.  Was able to connect to a Bluetooth speaker without any difficulty.  For those who are looking for a way to enable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in Sonoma without breaking the APFS seal, without disabling SIP and without injecting an uncertified Wi-Fi framework (OCLP root patches), the Open Wireless project is definitely a viable option.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2