[How to] Fully working - Beta9 SSE2

mathdude1284

99 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have gotten beta9 to boot to gui with my P4 Northwood 2.0GHZ. iTunes, Quicktime, About this Mac, System Profiler all work as well as all the programs i have tested so far. It is rock solid!

Steps:

1. Installed a bootable system with JaS 10.4.6 install disk with the neccessary patches (10.4.6 combo update & sse2 base system.)

2. Applied "JaS SSE2 10.4.8 Combo Update with Semthex SSE2 Beta9 Kernel". EDIT: There is a package release by JaS that includes the beta9 kernel with the combo update. Ask in #kernel. Its basicly 10.4.8 combo update with the new kernel included.

3. Reboot and enjoy!

There are two beta 10.4.8 8.8.1 sse2 combo update pkgs available for download through the kernel channel only.They are only to help people get this kernel working because I saw how much trouble people were having setting up a test system.Do not release these on any torrent sites or rapidshare or anywhere. They are not ready for prime time!

One for amd sse2 and one for intel sse2.These packages are built off of the original 10.4.8 amd and intel sse2 combo update+ beta9 kernel + new extensions

Disclamer These packages are beta and as such are provided AS IS.,I will not be supporting them.use at your own risk"

Mine Fully working:

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/884/picture1za2.png

for proof...

I have a Pentium 4 Mobile 1.60GHz

My Steps:

1. I installed JaS 10.4.7 Repack through vmware with the correct packages (I used the 10.4.7 Combo, Intel SSE2, and Wireless Networking Support). Native should work also.

2. I booted it up and set it up.

3. After I was done setting up and i saw the desktop, I restarted it to make sure everything is working and everything loaded correctly, as I don't know if System Setup loads all of them.

4. After it was done restarting, I installed the JaS 10.4.8 with SemtheX Beta 9 kernel Combo Update, not restarting it when it was done.

5. Before I restarted, I repaired permissions with Disk Utility and updated prebindings in terminal using the following commands:

sudo -s
(password)
update_prebinding -root / -force

6. I then clicked restart on the JaS installer, and my computer restarted.

7. I booted with the bootflags:

-v -f -x

and made sure everything went through O.K.

7. When I saw the Desktop, i immediately tried About This Mac, and it logged me out and in.

8. I used Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/)to extract the loginwindow.app located in /System/Library/Coreservice/loginwindow.app from the JaS 10.4.7 Combo Update, located in the JaS 10.4.7 DVD.

9. I repaired permissions, and restarted.

10. I booted with the bootflag:

-v

and made sure everything went through ok.

11. I saw the desktop and opened About This Mac. Perfectly working, with my CPU speed correctly displayed (it mis-displayed with the 8.4.1 kernel).

12. I installed MacVidia from MacVidia's Site: http://macvidia.starchaser.org/

13. I restarted my computer with the bootflag:

-v

14. Everything seems to work now!

Thanks JaS!

Mine too working fully.

Here is the proof.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8302/picture1ig4.png

(1) I have P4 2.6 with ASUS P4P800dlx, ASUS Radeon 9600SE. I had already 10.4.7 installed on my system.

(2) I installed the JaS 10.4.8 with SemtheX Beta 9 kernel Combo Update, not restarting it when it was done.

(3) Repair the permission from diskutil

(4) Updated the prebinding

(5) Restarted

Working alright, not tested fully, but looks snappy.

Thanks to Semthex and JaS. Highly appreciate the work done by Semthex.

CanMac

With this package applied on a fresh 10.4.6 install i got a stable system with QE/CI with my 7800GS and P4 (SSE2 Only). It's a nice thing. The only things i did, to complement it, were adding original apple 10.4.8 nvidia kexts (seems that they weren't included?) and replacing opengl.framwork with that from apple .8 (+titan of course)

I now dont have all the problems i had with adium, skype, dashboard etc, it really seems to be enjoyable stable. With that in mind, im sure that the finished sse2-kernel will be rock solid. GREAT work guys. thx Jas, semthex and other :blink:

R.I.P.

My install didnt work using the jas update sse2 B9 kernal.

After intalling i wanted to try to repair the permissions just to be sure. But the installer didnt let me do anything else then reboot first. So un der protest i rebooted, first i saw the grey apple screen with that rotating thing under it. Then the screen gets fully grey for 1 second and then the upper half stays gray and the lower part seems like black lines with white dots in it. It stops there nothing happened for a few minutes so i shut the pc down. Secodn time i got the same result.

So is my installatition now toast and do i have to reinstall or is there another way?

I did a boot with f8 -v after that i saw it loadings lots of stuff, no errors, no kernal panics, until it gets to the part were it says something about loading airport driver or something. I guess 1 second and 2 lines after that the screen gets corrupted, lots of black and white dots. No errors that i can read what went wrong, it hangs just there. Dont know what comes after airport but after that sits my problem.

Doesnt osx write a logfile from its last startup maybe i can find a error in there?

Nope, it repaired a lot of files so i was hopefull it would work. But it hangs at the same place. I rebooted 3 times to try to read what went wrong. But its to quick. i see it loading without problems for a long time the last thing i could read / remember before my screen gets corrupted is something about loading the 8139, thats my onboard network chip that normally works under 10.04.7.

Any more tips??

Try booting -v -f and read messages

-- or --

Try booting -s so you can better see the messages. Read messages, then at the prompt, type: exit

and read more messages

didnt work, tried both. Rebooted 10 times with my nose against the screen so i have a headache now.

The last thing i could read so quickly, each second it adds 2 lines with messages. I cant read that quick.

But i saw something about dnsresponder after that there were 2 lines so after that it must crash. Maybe someone with a digital fotorecorder can record and see what lines comes after that.

Also the -s didnt work, i got to the root promt without problems, then i "exit" and is see all those lines written on screen 2 lines a sec. and then after 100 lines r so the screen corrupts.

Without some sort of logging there is no way to find what went wrong here. :D

Rebooted 10 times with my nose against the screen so i have a headache now.

Lol :D

Mine didn't work, too. Tried all of the -x, -s, -f - no go. When I startup with -v, there's a huge flood of loading extensions, impossibly fast to read. Then just restarts.

Going to reinstall everything and retry.

Yeah the strage thing is can use the pause button of my keybord for those fast loading extensions. But when it switches screen form 30x40 characters orso to that smaller lettertype then it is over, the pause doens work anymore some like enter for each line to execute would be nice.

I have tried the update on my test partition, i waited till the update went to the end, repaired my permissions and the hit reboot. but it boots only to a grey screen where is writen reboot your computer in many languages. I didnt do the update prebindings command. what should i do? is that because i didnt prebindings command?

Bild(113).th.jpg

sorry for the poor quality, mobile phone cam