A Guide to 8.8.1 SSE2

mcfresh

31 posts in this topic

Hi!

After a few hours and many reboots i finally got 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 kernel (beta9) and SSE2 only running. As i had to do a few thing which were not mentioned yet, ill try to explain what i did.

remember that the sse2 emulation isnt 100% finished yet, so be aware that all you will get will behave more like a 10.4.8 with the old kernel and titan working (but thats great, isn't it?)

Im on Intel P4 Northwood, so as for AMD things may be a little different. You'll also only need 1 partition to do this, no need for a second one.

heres what you need before you start:

- Jas Intel (or AMD if you wish) 10.4.8 SSE2 combo update (u know where to get it)

- Original Apple 10.4.8 combo update

- AppleSMBios.kext and IOATAFamily.kext (get it from paulicats blog)

- the beta9 kernel

- titan.kext

I did this from a 10.4.6 install with only the needed patches to run it (combo and SSE2), other versions should also work.

I wont mention any backup steps, you can figure this out on your own.

1. Boot into working 10.4.x install

2. Apply Jas combo update, reboot to test if its working

3. Use Pacifist and Extract the big archive file from Apple combo update (we gonna need this as a resource, so keep it)

4. Locate Extensions folder in archive and copy all extensions over /system/library/extensions , you may need to force it a little bit (if it doesnt want to replace a file, delete it and copy it over by hand)

5. Delete AppleintelCPUPowerManagement.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext

6. Install applesmbios.kext and ioatafamily.kext into extension folder (repair permissions)

7. put the beta9 kernel into root

EDIT: to be on the safe side, repair permissions for the kernel. go into terminal and type the following:

chown root:wheel /yoursse2_kernel

chmod 644 /yoursse2_kernel

8. remove r2d2.kext from extensions folder

9. Go to /system/library/frameworks and replace opengl.framework folder with the one in your archive (the one from step 3)

10. install titan.kext (repair permissions)

11. run "diskutil repairpermissions /" in terminal and clear kextcache

12. reboot

13. Hit F8 and type in name of you beta9 kernel. If it works you can use it as your mach_kernel later

You should be fine now. There are some issues like crashing "about this mac" and so on, like in the original jas combo update release, but there are ways to solve them.

I hope this helps some ppl out there.

After using it a while for now, i have to say that it's more unstable than the 10.4.6 with the old kernel i used before (quite some apps like to crash). But we all know that this Kernel is BETA, and its also a first unfinished release of the emulation, so i think its somehow the best you can get out of it, i guess. Also i dont know what is relateted to the kerne and what may be bec of other things.

edit : Pls, if you follow my guide, dont expect wonders from what you get. This is not the way to a fully working 10.4.8 with a 8.8.1 kernel, as this would require the whole apple update to be applied and every bit of it working. This is to be considered as an early beta of true 10.4.8 on sse2, nothing more.

I'm also running on a Northwood P4 and a 6600GT. Would love to get full acceleration of my graphics card, thanks for this guide. I'll see if I get time for doing this :). So you can get like divx movies fully running without a hitch fullscreen with titan? Though I might wait a bit till the SSE2 kernel reaches a bit of a further stage, since what you have told about apps crashing. Currently on my 10.4.7 some applications also tend to crash.

I'm also running on a Northwood P4 and a 6600GT. Would love to get full acceleration of my graphics card, thanks for this guide. I'll see if I get time for doing this :). So you can get like divx movies fully running without a hitch fullscreen with titan? Though I might wait a bit till the SSE2 kernel reaches a bit of a further stage, since what you have told about apps crashing. Currently on my 10.4.7 some applications also tend to crash.

Acceleration is working very well, i tested it with a DVD Movie and i could watch it with expose shifting it around etc. Most annoying atm is, that adium and skype crash when is try to send a message to anyone. If anyone has an idea how to make this thing more stable, id appreciate it.

UPDATE: It seems to be the case, that it needs a few more frameworks and stuff from the orignal apple combo update to make this thing stable

i now replaced webkit.framework with the original one, and now adium and skype and other things WORK.

but theres something wierd in skype. when i write a message to someone, he/she will get it, but the message window is still empty, like the text is invisible. So this seems to be work of trial and error with frameworks and stuff.

edit: this also happens in adium for me, i cant see what ppl write to me, thats soo weird....

I followed this guide and got it working too! Seems "everything" works good including skype without any extra messing of frameworks besides OpenGL.

works.th.jpg

w00txd9.th.jpg

EDIT: just found that the quicktime version that comes with the 4.7 can playback some videos, but at least .mp4 and .mov's that are h.264, video goes wacky ...i'm not sure if its safe to try to update quicktime so i will leave it for the future, here is a screenshot what it looks like:

quicktimefr3.jpg

okey, this maybe a noob question but:

when i type my kernel name at the loader an press enter, it flashes for half a second, some text pop up, and straight back to where i type in the kernel..

is this a file permission thing?

I've got beta9 running on my intel915-based notebook using JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 and Apple original kexts.

I had to use AppleRTL8139Ethernet from 10.4.7,

AppleIntelIntegradedFramebuffer from 10.4.5

AppleIntel915* from 10.4.5

IO80211 from 10.4.5 for wireless Atheros miniPCI card impersonating Airport

There are some issues, but I don't know if they are sse2/kernel related:

- "about this mac" crashes and logs me out instantly

- Finder and Mail only show dates like 01-01-1970 - System clock is correct

- selected text background is black insted of blue

- quicktime does start, but won't play

OT: today i got kicked and banned without warning from #kernel because of my nick (which i've been using in irc and insanlymac since august 2005 and it's not going to change). There are some really bold BOFHs in irc who would'n even think about asking.

So this is for that BOFH if he can read: I am _not_ that leopard guy that called himself N.O.R.A.D. . I did not and will not pretend to be.

okey, this maybe a noob question but:

when i type my kernel name at the loader an press enter, it flashes for half a second, some text pop up, and straight back to where i type in the kernel..

is this a file permission thing?

Yea I made the same mistake having the wrong file ownership/permission for the kernel file.

Say I want to fix this by booting from a install DVD, what are the commands to mount the hdd onto /Volumes and fix the permission problem?

I've been googling but found nothing solid

I can't boot into single user mode due to the permission problem, I'm now booting from a DVD hoping to fix it, but first I need to mount the harddrive into /Volume/ then I'll be able to read and write.

I'm not quite sure how the command mount works, need further instructions.

Thanks =)

EDIT: Forget it, im re-installing

The correct command for mounting the filesystem is shown on the screen when you boot into single-user mode.

You do not need to mount the filesystem when booted from the install DVD and using Terminal. Your OSX partition can be found at: "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)"

Use the quotes if your partition name has spaces in it.