Installing Sonoma/Ventura/Monterey/Big Sur on all X79 Motherboard like Huananzhi, Chinese, Gigabyte, Asus etc and PowerManagement

RoberT_XeS
84 posts in this topic

Update:

You can use the following EFI to install Ventura or Sonoma. First use the EFI as it is. If it does not work then use SSDT-X79 and check. If that doesn't work then you can use my DSDT if you have Chinese X79. If you have your own DSDT then you can use that as well.

You need to enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock, AppleXcpmCfgLock and AppleXcpmExtraMsrs if you are getting kernel panic.

Download:

EFI_VENTURA_AND_SONOMA.zip

SABERTOOTH_EFI.zip

Those who have AMD Graphics can try this

image.png

First of all a great thanks to @MaLd0n for all the help that he gave me by editing my DSDT.

This guide is for those who are using X79 Motherboard and are

1. unable to install mac

2. Unable to boot if they enable HYPERTHREADING in thie bios.

3. Having random reboots while booting.

4. Powermanagement Issue.

You can use this EFI for Mac OS Monterey or Big Sur

Installation:

1. Download the EFI Folder given in this guide and do the necessary changes mentioned in the Changes to the Config File section given below.

2. I am not going to cover how to install Mac. For that you will get lots of guides online.

3. I am Just going to give you my EFI folder. Use it and it will boot and install without any issue.

You need to do the following after downloading the EFI.

Changes to the Config File

1. Please add you own Platform Info

2. You can use the following  USBMap.kext to get the USB Working if it is not working for you then you need to follow the steps given below.

USBMap.kext.zip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above file is not working then you need to create a USB Mapping file in Windows or Mac.
Steps for creating USB Mapping For Windows or Mac

i. Download USBToolBox (This is the tool to create USBMapping).

ii. Run as an Administrator if you are on Windows.

iii. Select Discover Ports (Press D)

iv. Now take a USB Drive and insert the USB Drive into every USB Ports one by one. (This step is very important please don't skip it. This will highlight all the ports in whichever you are inserting the USB Drive)
v. Go Back (Press 'B')

vi. Now select the option 'Select Ports and Build Kext' (Press S)

vii. Select 'Enable All Populated Ports' ( Press P)

viii. Select 'build UTBMap.kext' (This will create a UTBMap.kext file)

ix. Now download USBToolBox.kext

x. Now copy the UTBMap.kext and USBToolBox.kext file into the EFI/OC/Kexts Folder

xi. Add these kext entries in the kernel Section.

xii. Now when you boot into the Mac you will have all the USB Working properly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. SSDT-X79 included in the EFI folder already has everything needed so please don't change any settings in config. It will go smoothly.

4. Reboot

Enjoy....!!!

Note: For some motherboard using CpuTSCSync.kext causes Kernel Panic,

Solution: Use VoodooTSCSync.kext instead

Bios Settings: 

1. If you still have issue with USB while using my EFI then go into the Bios and Disable EHCI and XHCI Handoff or vice versa.

For PowerManagement do the following:

1. Create SSDT-PMC, SSDT-PLUG from windows using SSDTTime.exe

2. Create SSDT-PM using ssdtprgen method

3. Place these files in ACPI folder and also enable them in the config.plist. 

4. So you should have SSDT-PM, SSDT-PMC, SSDT-PLUG (Optional) ACPI and  SSDT-X79 (Note: For some users SSDT-X79 is breaking power management so disable SSDT-X79 and add SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-UNC.aml instead))

5. Enjoy your PowerManagement

For Sandy Bridge CPU please enable 2 options in the Kernel > Patch Section 

751AB9 to EB13B9  

3E7539 to 3E9090 

7513B9 to EB13B9 

Patches_For_SandyCPUs.plist

The entries are already added just enable it. This is needed for Sandy Bridge CPU to get PowerManagement Working

Once again please don't change anything in the config other than what is mentioned above

Audio:

Follow my guide in the link to get the Audio Working

OR 

You can try to use one of the following SSDT-HDEF Patch. It may or may not work for you. Also you would require SSDT-HPET.aml along with it which you can create using ssdttime app.

SSDT-HDEF.aml or SSDT-HDEF-edited.aml

Downloads:

EFI Folder:  This one is with themes 

If the new EFI Doesn't work then use the old one

Updated EFI with Open Core 0.7.7 (28-01-2022) (With themes) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Old EFI with Open Core (This one has themes)

EFI.zip.  (This one doesn't have themes you can add it later)

Bonus: 

Those who are using Huananzhi-X79 Deluxe board can use the following patched DSDT which has all the necessary patches. Even the Audio patch so no need to use SSDT-HDEF.aml

DSDT_Huananzhi_X79_Deluxe.aml

Troubleshooting:

Multible Reboot: Some times it takes multiple reboots to get into the system. It gets stuck in the following  then follow the below given solution.

Untitled.jpg.b41232e4bee000bb87b11dfd7b9a1979.jpg

Updated Solution:

Just use this simple patch

SCK_Patch.plist

or

1. Open your DSDT in Rehabman's MacIasl and remove SCK1, SCK2 and SCK3

2. Also remove unused Cores. For Eg. If your CPU has 12 threads then only keep the first 12 CPU Cores and delete the rest like this. It depends on how much threads your CPU has and accordingly remove the rest. As my CPU has only 12 threads I have only kept the first 12 and will be removing the rest that I have shown in the image below.

3. Save this file as DSDT.aml

188008-screen-shot-2021-12-13-at-11-39-0

4. Place this DSDT.aml in the ACPI Folder 

5. Reboot.

Now there will be no random reboots while rebooting.

Edited by RoberT_XeS
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

• 1 month later...

hi man, i tried ur efi but it paniced :( i have asus sabertooth x79, 3930k, zotac gtx 680 4gb and samsung evo 830 and 960. 

i have never used opencore so not sure what to do and what to change... trying to boot big sur install 11.6.2 from my nvme partition ( https://ibb.co/hYJpsKn ) but for some reason getting panic with ur folder.. when i tried clover from MaLd0n i got much longer but the installer stopped at pci something end.

any idea what i should do ? 

12 hours ago, axonleo said:

hi man, i tried ur efi but it paniced :( i have asus sabertooth x79, 3930k, zotac gtx 680 4gb and samsung evo 830 and 960. 

i have never used opencore so not sure what to do and what to change... trying to boot big sur install 11.6.2 from my nvme partition ( https://ibb.co/hYJpsKn ) but for some reason getting panic with ur folder.. when i tried clover from MaLd0n i got much longer but the installer stopped at pci something end.

any idea what i should do ? 

Please send the screenshot of the panic message

30 minutes ago, RoberT_XeS said:

Did you make any changes to the EFI...?

Also are you using Cputscsync or VoodooTSCSync ?

Share your EFI here

i didnt change anything just copy pasted your efi to my ssd efi partition. im not sure if i should Cputscsync or VoodooTSCSync maybe both is there... 

btw do i have to have big sur install on the same ssd drive/ partition or can i have it on the nvme drive/ partition and opencore can still boot it fine ?

i think there is already nvme kext to enable support in ur efi creation.

efi folder https://easyupload.io/6gull4

On 1/26/2022 at 9:53 PM, axonleo said:

i didnt change anything just copy pasted your efi to my ssd efi partition. im not sure if i should Cputscsync or VoodooTSCSync maybe both is there... 

btw do i have to have big sur install on the same ssd drive/ partition or can i have it on the nvme drive/ partition and opencore can still boot it fine ?

i think there is already nvme kext to enable support in ur efi creation.

efi folder https://easyupload.io/6gull4

Try the new EFI updated in the post it should work for you..

10 hours ago, RoberT_XeS said:

Try the new EFI updated in the post it should work for you..

Great work man the new EFI folder helped me install and boot big sur but the pm still not working properly for my sabertooth x79 and sandy bride-E 3930k 😕

I can't use ssd.plug in that efi or the cpu get locked at 1.2ghz and big sur get very slow and sluggish :( so no X86PlatformPlugin is loading for me.

Does anyone know how to check if the correct turboboost and speedstep is loading and working for my cpu in big sur ?

Edited by axonleo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I've just tried new EFI.

It shows boot selection, I choose install it scrolls some text.

After that it shows for 5 seconds MacOS logo with the progress bar and goes shutdown.

(the screenshot attached)

CPU: i7 3820

MB: Gigabyte X79-UD3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT640 2Mb

The system running well for years from Mountain Lion and now it is Catalina 10.15.3

With the EFI I've tried BigSur 11.2.3 (downloaded from dortania Open Core Install Guide pages)

I haven't changed nothing in the original config.plist but just added my MLB, SerialNumber and UUID (from running Catalina).

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 18.22.19.png

4 hours ago, Bahir said:

Hi! I've just tried new EFI.

It shows boot selection, I choose install it scrolls some text.

After that it shows for 5 seconds MacOS logo with the progress bar and goes shutdown.

(the screenshot attached)

CPU: i7 3820

MB: Gigabyte X79-UD3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT640 2Mb

The system running well for years from Mountain Lion and now it is Catalina 10.15.3

With the EFI I've tried BigSur 11.2.3 (downloaded from dortania Open Core Install Guide pages)

I haven't changed nothing in the original config.plist but just added my MLB, SerialNumber and UUID (from running Catalina).

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 18.22.19.png

Did you try both the EFI ?

On 2/24/2022 at 2:40 PM, Bahir said:

Yes. I've tried old one after new one. The result was the same.

Some time installer shows progress bar (it goes 5-15 seconds).

And after that shutdown.

Please send me the screenshot of the error that happens when you boot

On 3/8/2022 at 9:02 PM, RoberT_XeS said:

Send me your EFI Folder

Sent you a PM with link for download from drive.

I have changed nothing except:

1. Filled my SerialNumber, MLB, UUID in config.plist

2. Made all operations for PM, PMC, PLUG, HPET, HDEF, DSDT (clks, cores). Added them to config.plist but haven't enabled.

3. Added USBToolBox.kext, UTBMap.kext, UTBDefault.kext but haven't enabled.

4.  Kernel > Patch Section 

7513B9 to EB13B9

3E7539 to 3E9090

These items were enabled in your 0.7.7 EFI config.plist so I haven't touched them.

What does happen.

1. Big Sur 11.2.3 boots OK until it shows apple with progress bar. Couple of seconds and it goes to reboot

2. I tried Monterey as well with no luck. It does not boot kernel at all and shows error 

4 hours ago, Bahir said:

Sent you a PM with link for download from drive.

I have changed nothing except:

1. Filled my SerialNumber, MLB, UUID in config.plist

2. Made all operations for PM, PMC, PLUG, HPET, HDEF, DSDT (clks, cores). Added them to config.plist but haven't enabled.

3. Added USBToolBox.kext, UTBMap.kext, UTBDefault.kext but haven't enabled.

4.  Kernel > Patch Section 

7513B9 to EB13B9

3E7539 to 3E9090

These items were enabled in your 0.7.7 EFI config.plist so I haven't touched them.

What does happen.

1. Big Sur 11.2.3 boots OK until it shows apple with progress bar. Couple of seconds and it goes to reboot

2. I tried Monterey as well with no luck. It does not boot kernel at all and shows error 

Check your PM. I just sent you a Patched DSDT and EFI. Don't change anything in it and try

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello all right, i have one
Huananzhi X79 8D
Two Xeon E5 2620 V2 processors
VGA RX 470 Sapphire 4G

I tried with your EFI folder both the newest and the oldest, and I always get Kernel panic.
I believe, it could be, because I use 2 processors, is there any additional configuration I should do?

On 4/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, Slice said:

I also had BlueToolFixup.kext to be cause of panic.

When is this occurring..?  While trying to install Monterey or while trying to boot Monterey...?

Also sometimes this happens when you have wrong csrutil value.

Also share me your configuration and EFI Folder

On 4/8/2022 at 2:03 AM, luciano_frc said:

hello all right, i have one
Huananzhi X79 8D
Two Xeon E5 2620 V2 processors
VGA RX 470 Sapphire 4G

I tried with your EFI folder both the newest and the oldest, and I always get Kernel panic.
I believe, it could be, because I use 2 processors, is there any additional configuration I should do?

Dual CPU does not work....My friend had one we tried to boot Monterey with it but it never worked...Single CPU should work in your motherboard too...

23 hours ago, mrbongo said:

used this EFI from here and eventually got it to work after about 100 reboots lol and runs nice

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 16.07.26.png

used the EFI from here and got it working after about 100 reboots lol and runs well cheers for this EFI 

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 16.09.57.png

Glad it worked for you..

Edited by RoberT_XeS