[GUIDE] Updating and maintaining OpenCore (NEW METHOD!)

Guest 5T33Z0
49 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I meant the name of the Parent drive.

Understand. Currently I am using the "diskutil list" command to get the EFI partition, I will consider trying other methods.

27 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

But I'd like to grab entries to move them around instead of using the up and down arrows.

Understand. The current mouse grab is used for multi-selection, and I may make improvements to this in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about OCAT. 

Is there a setting that lets us upgrade only to the stable release and not the developer release.
ie, Stable 0.7.3 or Dev 0.7.4 Thanks!

This app is simply amazing, makes upgrading opencore a breeze!

Update: I think I answered my own question, all I have to do is use the version of OCAT for the version of OC that I need. All is good.

Edited by Eligos

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to update an EFI I got off github for my laptop. When I get to " hit "Synchronize OC Main Program" (Recycle Button) it is greyed out. My OCAT is updated and Syncronize works with my other EFIs. I tried to do a occonfig comparison but can't figure it out. Any help appreciated, Thanks johnm

13 hours ago, jmacie said:

I'm trying to update an EFI I got off github for my laptop. When I get to " hit "Synchronize OC Main Program" (Recycle Button) it is greyed out. My OCAT is updated and Syncronize works with my other EFIs. I tried to do a occonfig comparison but can't figure it out. Any help appreciated, Thanks johnm

You need to open the config.plist in OCAT first, save it and THEN synchronize it. It works fine over here – I just tested it. Maybe the downloaded EFI folder itsef is just not correct. Otherwise report an issue in OCAT support thread:

Edited by 5T33Z0

@oldman20

did you read in the instructions CAUTION:

• When updating from version ≤ 0.6.5, disabling Bootstrap is mandatory prior to updating OpenCore, to avoid issues. Disable `BootProtect` (set it to None), reboot, reset NVRAM and then update OpenCore. More details here. My suggestion: don't use Bootstrap unless you really have to (for example, if you have Windows and macOS installed on the same disk, like Laptops often do).

• Not doing this instruction caused my upgrade from below version 6.5 to not work
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jmacie said:

@oldman20

did you read in the instructions CAUTION:

• When updating from version ≤ 0.6.5, disabling Bootstrap is mandatory prior to updating OpenCore, to avoid issues. Disable `BootProtect` (set it to None), reboot, reset NVRAM and then update OpenCore. More details here. My suggestion: don't use Bootstrap unless you really have to (for example, if you have Windows and macOS installed on the same disk, like Laptops often do).

• Not doing this instruction caused my upgrade from below version 6.5 to not work

excuse me, would you explain more clearly? I just using OCAT open config.plist 0.6.3 then press save, check again with OC Validate, run "Synchronize OC Main Program" and compare with Dortania's guide, but still cant boot?

And after press save in OCAT, BootProtect is removed! stuck at this

Edited by oldman20

@oldman20 Sorry, I can't do that. The instructions and the info in the link are pretty clear: if you've used bootstrap in OpenCore prior to v 065 you need to disable it befor upgrading, otherwise you mess up your UEFI Bios and need to perform a CMOS reset to get rid of bootstrap.

Please upload your EFI folder so I cna check it out.

Genereal advice:  with a config as old as yours,  it's recommended to start from scratch with the sample.plist and only copy over existing things you need: ACPI files and entries, device Properties, Quirk and kexts.

@oldman20

You have edit your config.plist first before using OCAT. You have to disable "boot protect" set it to "none" which I took to mean setting securebootmodel to "disabled" in misc. then after you delete the "bootstrap" folder you update with OCAT and I used the Kext updater app that was mentioned. The part about boot protect in the instructions was confusing to me, and I asked about it, but no answer, so the only parameter I could find that was close to it was misc-securebootmodel. Hope if I'm wrong about that we get that straight. I did upgrade from 6.0 to 7.3 to 7.5 now, so working fine here.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@oldman20 Sorry, I can't do that. The instructions and the info in the link are pretty clear: if you've used bootstrap in OpenCore prior to v 065 you need to disable it befor upgrading, otherwise you mess up your UEFI Bios and need to perform a CMOS reset to get rid of bootstrap.

Please upload your EFI folder so I cna check it out.

Genereal advice:  with a config as old as yours,  it's recommended to start from scratch with the sample.plist and only copy over existing things you need: ACPI files and entries, device Properties, Quirk and kexts.

Here's my EFI folder 074 which is cant bootable, thank your help!

4 minutes ago, jmacie said:

@oldman20

You have edit your config.plist first before using OCAT. You have to disable "boot protect" set it to "none" which I took to mean setting securebootmodel to "disabled" in misc. then after you delete the "bootstrap" folder you update with OCAT and I used the Kext updater app that was mentioned. The part about boot protect in the instructions was confusing to me, and I asked about it, but no answer, so the only parameter I could find that was close to it was misc-securebootmodel. Hope if I'm wrong about that we get that straight. I did upgrade from 6.0 to 7.3 to 7.5 now, so working fine here.

Thank, i understand more!

EFI074(cant-boot).zip

@5T33Z0 and here's my old EFI folder 063 can bootable fine!

EFI063(bootable).zip

@oldman20 This is the first time I've seen somebody adding a binary rename patch under ACPI >> add and just "change CRS to XCRS.aml" instead of adding it as a patch. The patch was even wrong and included wrong characters… incredible. How this thing booted before is a miracle to me. This is all I can do for you. If there are any other problems, either follow the OpenCore vanilla guide from start to finish or create a forum post. I am no longer wasting my time with this.

EFI.zip

3 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@oldman20 This is the first time I've seen somebody adding a binary rename patch under ACPI >> add and just "change CRS to XCRS.aml" instead of adding it as a patch. The patch was even wrong and included wrong characters… incredible. How this thing booted before is a miracle to me. This is all I can do for you. If there are any other problems, either follow the OpenCore vanilla guide from start to finish or create a forum post. I am no longer wasting my time with this.

EFI.zip 5.88 MB · 2 downloads

thank so much, even check with OC Validate but no issues, strange :(

Btw, still reboot panic. I will recheck carefully!

Hi there,

about backup current EFI, I am confused about this:

You wrote:

• BACKUP YOUR CURRENT EFI FOLDER ON A FAT32 FORMATTED USB STICK!

While quoted from Opencore wrote:

For the USB, it must be formatted as GUID. Reason for this is that GUID will automatically create an EFI partition, ...

This allows us to keep a working copy of OpenCore in case our update goes south

Opencore suggest format: MAC OS Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID partition Map

Could you explain about the difference of both ?

Thqnk you.

@dionnodeI know what the guide says. Technically it is not wrong, but this is only half the truth. In fact, formatting a USB flash drive in disk utility as macOS extended creates a hidden EFI Parttion which in FAT32 format which is 200 mb in size.

In other words: formatting a USB stick to FAT32 eliminates the necessity of creating an Extra EFI Parition which is hidden and has to be mounted, because the USB flash drive already is the partition!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 7:00 AM, 5T33Z0 said:

EFI.zip 5.88 MB · 5 downloads

thank and sorry about late, your mean these patches? It was created by SSDTTime-Master after running with mine DSDT, is it wrong?

711051651_ScreenShot2021-11-16at23_10_41.thumb.png.fef53acc2027118e8ade745544a132f6.png

• 6 months later...

Until I saw this thread I could not figure out why I could not boot anything past OC v0.7.1 Catalina for Coffee lake CPU/Z390 Motherboard and realized two things that took care of the issue which your Tool takes care of and you mention in the troubleshooting, SecureBootModel boot Monterey would boot just fine with SecureBootModel set to Default but not Catalina.  Also Catalina partition would not show without MinVersion/Date set from 0 to -1.

Is there a way to update the tool from OC v0.7.8 to v0.8.0?

Thanks again for this masterful tool and for sharing this.

Edited by oSxFr33k

OC 0.7.8 shows as the latest version? According to manual I can update the link to the latest Dev version etc nothing on how to update to the latest release version of OC?

Edited:

Never-mind the notes say it will not support online updates.

Edited by oSxFr33k

Yes I know that can be done but what about the release versions?

This is what I read:

https://github.com/5T33Z0/OC-Little-Translated/blob/main/D_Updating_OpenCore/README.md

See last section Notes, second bullet.

Edited:

Sorry never mind I did not see from the drop down a latest version choice sorry about that as soon as I chose latest version it updated to v0.80 but I don't see this in the manual anywhere?

Edited by oSxFr33k