HELP !!! Catalina Install on HP Zbook 14u G6

AJC

115 posts in this topic

Im sorry, that was the wrong EFI I uploaded.

Here is the EFI that I used. again it wasn't made specifically for my laptop so im sure its got a ton in it that I don't need and incorrect settings

BUT I would like to use it and try to adjust it for my laptop if I can, because it boots up fast and smooth and the trackpad ( full gestures) and battery manager work right outta the box ! 

let me know what you guys think. 

Also the big this wrong with this one no audio or WIFI,  ( I noticed it had kexts for intel wifi and I need to set it up for my BCM94352Z)

https://easyupload.io/ghbe05

also I just noticed that it randomly reboots, it was sitting there for a while then went to sleep then after about 10 min of sleep it rebooted it self. 

On 4/3/2021 at 5:41 PM, AJC said:

how do I get my BCM94352z working ?  I know I need to get kexts for it somewhere then do something to the config ?

Make sure your BIOS is not whitelisted against installing the card.

Make sure the card is the correct form factor for your motherboard (i.e PCIe or NGFF/M.2)

Collect your current kexts.

In Open Core make sure kexts are loaded in the correct order after Lilu.kext.

94352Z-kexts.png

I’ve collected the kext I need but how do I insert them into the situation?  I assume I put them into the kext folder in the EFI but then what ? How do I adjust the config.plist to reflect the new kexts ?

UPDATE !!

ive got the WiFi and blue tooth working!!

( turns out WiFi was shut off in the bios ahaha) 

so now all I need to do is get the audio working and map the usb. 
Can anybody tell me how to patch / fix the audio ? The controller in the laptop is Realtek ALC3294

1 hour ago, AJC said:

UPDATE !!

ive got the WiFi and blue tooth working!!

( turns out WiFi was shut off in the bios ahaha) 

so now all I need to do is get the audio working and map the usb. 
Can anybody tell me how to patch / fix the audio ? The controller in the laptop is Realtek ALC3294

Use VoodooHDA. No?

49 minutes ago, AJC said:

How do I use it ? Just get the kext and put it in the kext folder or do I have to do something in the config file as well ? 

Suggest you use AppleALC and modify the config.plist to show the layout-id for your audio.  Don't use the kernel switch.

VoodooHDA may have maximum sound output less than AppleALC.

Here is an excerpt that should help you:

Configuring your Audio Device

Audio devices are much simpler to configure than they used to be thanks to the development of AppleALC. AppleALC is a kernel extension that provides native Apple audio capabilites. To use it, the first thing you will need to know is what audio codec your laptop uses. If you don't already know, or if you're unsure, you can use a Linux live USB to do a codec dump. A codec dump provides a treasure trove of information about your device and the paths it uses to connect things like internal amplifiers to speakers or headphones.

Creating a Codec Dump

If you do need a codec dump for whatever reason, boot from your Linux live USB and find the nearest terminal or command line. The following command will display the details of your codec on screen with a pause so you can read it.

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | less

The first line should provide your codec. It will look something like this:

Codec: Realtek ALC294

If you would like to save the codec to a file so you can reference it again when you're back in macOS, cat it to a file instead and save the file to the boot partition of the USB drive, on another USB drive, or somewhere on your network.

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > /mnt/MyOtherUSBDrive/codec.txt

Now that you're familiar with your codec, let's install AppleALC.

AppleALC Prerequisites

If you're dual booting with Windows or Linux, you should enable the Devices/Audio/ResetHDA property which will reset the audio device on startup to flush any configuration .

Installing AppleALC

Installing AppleALC is simple. You just need to download the AppleALC kext from the project's release page and add the kext to OC/K. You can find it here. You may have it already if you installed it when making the USB. If you do add it, make sure to edit your config.plist

Download AppleALC @ Github

Your new AppleALC kext path should look like it does in the tree below.

EFI
└── OC
    └── Kexts
        └── AppleALC.kext

Before rebooting, let's configure it!

Configuring AppleALC

This is where things can get a little tricky, as just about every implementation of the same codec is different. Knowing your codec makes things somewhat easier as you can look it up in the AppleALC WIKI and find all of the layouts that could work with it.

AppleALC Supported Codecs

If you don't find your codec listed, you might find that it's just a rebranded version of another so it wouldn't hurt to search for "AppleALC {your codec}".

Once you have a list of layouts, but you don't know which is the right one you can test them one by one. Just configure the layout id in config.plist with your favorite plist editor and reboot. If audio works, congratulations! Otherwise, repeat until you've found it.

Open up your plist editor and the config.plist, then browse to DeviceProperties/Add and set the alc-layout-id parameter to your layout id. It should look something like this.

None of the Layout IDs Worked!

Well, you still have some options although none of them will be fun. The first option would be to take that codec dump that we made earlier and build a new layout for your device, or you could try using YoodooHDA instead. Let's talk about both options.

Creating a New Layout for AppleALC

This nets the best benefit for you and for everyone else because you'll end up with native support and others with the same device can use it too. It's the most difficult option though. Here's some documentation to help get you started.

HDA Fix - HaC Mini Hackintosh - by osy (Great guide on how to make your own HDA patches)

AppleALC: Adding Codec Support

Using VoodooHDA

VoodooHDA is an alternative to AppleALC, and it works pretty well but rather than adding native support, VoodooHDA provides its own audio solution. Installing it is pretty straightforward. Simply download the kext, preference pane, and settings loader and add them to your system. The kext goes in C/k/O, if you have AppleALC installed you'll want to remove it. Open (execute) the preferences pane and it should prompt you to install, if it doesn't drag it onto System Preferences and it'll install that way. The settings loader should be installed to Applications, and you should run it once to enable it. They can be downloaded here.

Download VoodooHDA @ SourceForge

As with AppleALC, it should follow the same pattern in the tree.

EFI
└── OC
    └── Kexts
        └── VoodooHDA.kext

Thanks ! I’ll check this out !

also I was wondering if you could tell me what exactly the purpose of the the smcid I put in. The one I’m using currently is “MacBookpro15,2”  . Is that the right one for me ? What does changing that do exactly? I’ve also used MacBookAir,8 before and I didn’t notice a difference. ( just wanna make sure I’m using the right one. 

I got Audio working ! !!!

so now it boots up ( quick fast and in a hurry), track pad works great , video works ( I feel like it could be brighter but could just be me), WiFi and an bluetooth work great !, audio works,

battery manager works ( as far as I can tell).  Everything "seems" to be working great ! only thing I've noticed that needs work is the hibernating, if I close the lid or let it fall asleep for too long it will freeze up and reboot it self. if I wake it up shortly after it fell asleep its fine but if I let it sleep for 30min or so it will reboot, and if I close the lid I cant get it to come back at all. I have to restart it.

any ideas on the hibernation ?

also I've included my current EFI, could you take a look at it and see if there's anything els behind the scene's that needs work that im not noticing ? 

I really appreciate it !! Almost there !!

Heres the EFI

https://easyupload.io/gav1xb

You should probably disable hybernation, in hackintool go to Power and hit the screwdriver, type your password and it will be fixed.

To see what else needs tweaking, run IORegistryExplorer and save your setup and post it here.

20 hours ago, AJC said:

Thanks ! I’ll check this out !

also I was wondering if you could tell me what exactly the purpose of the the smcid I put in. The one I’m using currently is “MacBookpro15,2”  . Is that the right one for me ? What does changing that do exactly? I’ve also used MacBookAir,8 before and I didn’t notice a difference. ( just wanna make sure I’m using the right one. 

Use a currently supported profile for the OS version you are running (when running softwareupdate).  Catalina still has Delta and Combo updates available but Big Sur is via softwareupdate.

If you choose a Big Sur supported profile you can upgrade with less hassle.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/347163-upgrading-and-profiles/

Edited by HenryV

so what's the best profile to choose for my laptop ? Obviously I want choose one that will work well for the future but the link you provided didn't really describe which one would fit my laptop. 

aslo , i fired up I/O reg explorer and there's a ton of settings and options in it, what do I choose to get you the specific file you want me to post  ?

Edited by AJC

Yes that's the file.

I see a couple of minor things are still off.

Your CPU doesn't have Power management, you need SSDT-PLUG

You need to map your USB ports

Your Thunderbolt device tree needs a SSDT. (It may work as is, but may be glitchy)

You have your serial port enabled, (may not be a problem though)

There's a few devices without names, but mostly cosmetic so I don't think it matters.

You mentioned your brightness is ok? Does the slider work? do your brightness keys change it and it changes in a similar way to Windows?

Trackpad has 2 buttons, all working? smooth? CPU usage low while moving trackpad?

Sound has no issues? Speaker/Microphone/Headphone?

External monitor HDMI port works?

All resolutions?

and with HDMI audio?

Lid close = laptop sleeps / open = wakes?

Ethernet works?

Webcam?

SD Card Reader?

Yes the brightness slider works ( lowers and raises the brightness) It seems to me that even at max bright the screen is a little dim. That could just be me I’m not sure. The trackpad works great moves smooth and all gestures work. The hdmi port works( I’m not sure about audio) the usb-c port (thunderbolt ) port works, I hooked a usb-c dock to it for a while and as far as I can tell it works fine( powered the laptop, have me video  on dual screens and access to the docs USB ports. It sleeps and wakes with the lid open and close. Not sure about Ethernet ( have no either Rt cable to test. Will test the webcam soon. Sound works good.  ( are all these things you asked about not showing good or bad in that file I sent you ? ) 

how do I fix the cpu power management and the thunderbolt device tree ? 
also, I don’t think this config is set up for a whiskey lake processor ( which is what I have) is that why the power management isn’t working ? 

How do I add it to the config.plist with proper tree ? ( what do I type and where do I type it ) 

Also, can you tell if the config is correct for a whiskey lake processor?

Ok I think I got it into the config, is the cpu and thunderbolt working ?

Also I still cant figure out if my config is set up for a whiskey lake processor and if the MacBookpro15,2 is a good choice for this laptop.

ive been googling these things but I cant tell.

here is the new file https://easyupload.io/qk8p3i

PM should be working, TB3 needs method DTGP for some extra device info, so here's a new SSDT SSDT-TB3HP+PLUG.aml to replace the one you have.

As far as the SMBIOS, you could also try MacBookPro 16,1 but don't know if you'll see a difference especially if your CPU Friend data is correct for your CPU.

-edit-

If you're done setting up you machine, I recommend generating new Serial/UUID numbers and don't upload/share your EFI with those numbers.

Edited by theroadw

here is the new I/O after I replaced the file you just gave me .

https://easyupload.io/9ohz4m

if thunderbolt is working properly should it be showing up here ? ( see picture )

Also, I tried to test face time and it doesn't work, acts weird when a call tries to come in and it says there is no camera, so I need to get it to recognize the built in camera some how.IMG_7081.thumb.JPG.ad30b495d963b13a464ad0128949c1d7.JPG

Thunderbolt will not show there unles you have flashed the TB Controller Chip with Apple Firmware, but it will show in PCI tab, and here in IOREG you can see the thunderbolt tree is populated. Also the USB-C.

2077463935_ScreenShot2021-04-09at5_27_20PM.thumb.png.70dce492eb937359168c792ab86cad2b.png

As for power management, you can see you now have a bunch of CPU-P States you didn't before, so it is working.

621598290_ScreenShot2021-04-09at5_27_50PM.thumb.png.81cb34164956a25afcc8b3e214743d67.png

Run some benchmarks and see if they compare (roughly) to the same windows benchmarks done in your same computer, and they should be about the same give or take a few points. (CINEBENCH, GEEKBENCH)

You can also download intel power gadget and it will show you how the CPU is scaling up and down depending on load.

For the camera, it's most lilkely USB, so google time again. You need to find the model (maybe look in device manager in windows) and see if anyone has made a kext for that device id.

By the looks of it, your machine is working nicely, enjoy.