HELP !!! Catalina Install on HP Zbook 14u G6

AJC

115 posts in this topic

I just removed your EFI folder from the EFI partition and replaced it with my clover EFI and it worked fine ( as fine as it ever does till it gets the kernel panic) the revved the clover folder and Added your EFI agin and it does the same exact thing, ( the picture I posted )

I am mounting the EFI partition of the usb Stick using clover configurator 

I created the install stick using terminal on my Mac. clover recognizes the install media as well as my other attempts with open core. I just copied an OC EFI I created a while back ( also gets kernel panics ) over to the EFI partition and it recognized the install media, tried to instal then stoped at kernel panic. if the install media is the issue them why do other EFI folders work ?

Also If you want to stick with clover, you can use my config.plist as a guide.

Use only the kexts and SSDT's that are in my EFI

Copy the Device properties for your IGPU (Graphics card)

Copy the SMBIOS

But there's a lost more chance to get it wrong.

You could also start with a clean Clover config, and just add the things above.

I personally like OpenCore, it's a bit tougher to get it going at first but once it runs, it's way better.

@AJC Ok so install media is fine, could be the scan policy is the only thing that is wrong and why the install doesn't show up.

I've tried both multiple times and keep failing. I will use which ever one you think we can get working.

what do you mean copy the device properties and the SMBIOS ? where are those things / how do I copy them ?

I mede the change to 0 using proper tree. I copied your EFI with the edited config.plist onto the EFI partition and the change worked, it recognized the install media and allowed me to choose osx to instal. I chose osx to install and it started , lots of text scrolling by ( too fast for me to read) for about 30 sec then the screen goes blank, I let it sit for a few min thinking it just needed some time but nope, it is frozen on a blank screen now. I rebooted and it did the same thing. also my usb stick has a light on it that flashes when the drive is being accessed and stays solid when not active , I know the process has frozen because the light on the drive is solid and has been for a while.

Ok it's progress...

may need to add this to your boot-args  igfxonln=1 -wegnoegpu keepsyms=1

open your config.plist, search for boot-args and add the missing items:

it should read:

kext-dev-mode=1 -v igfxonln=1 -wegnoegpu keepsyms=1

I suspect the framebuffer (igpu) may be the problem but let's eliminate all others first

Also worth checking out your Bios Settings:

Advanced Menu > Secure Boot > OFF

System Options > Virtualization VTd > OFF

Built in Device Options > Video Memory Size > 128 or 256

Built in Device Options > Graphics > UMA mode

Built in Device Options > Mobile Network Device > OFF

Built in Device Options >GPS > OFF

Built in Device Options >LAN/WLAN Switch > OFF

followed this procedure that you gave me =

Download https://github.com/corpnewt/GenSMBIOS

Open terminal and drag and drop GenSMBIOS.command

Enter

Press 2

Drag and drop your config.plist

Press 3

MacBookPro15,1

Q

done

Also, I added the boot arguments you mentioned as well as the bios settings and it pretty much doing the same thing ( tries to load with a ton of text scrolling by really fast for several seconds then a sudden black screen ) , except now it reboots and loads windows without giving me the OC screen

the new config file didn't do anything until I changed the scan policy to 0 like last time. once I did that it ran the same. I took a video of it but its too large to post here ( its 110mb) 

do you have some other way I can get you the video ?