HELP !!! Catalina Install on HP Zbook 14u G6

AJC

115 posts in this topic

Yeah it shows the problem is the NVME drive, Everything else should boot fine using the previous config I gave you, and the battery patch will need to be fixed eventually, as it is currently not loading, but the big problem is definitely the NVME driver. If you can somehow take that drive out, you'll be fine. What I did in my case was to make sure only an NTFS volume exist in this drive, as OSX will not try to automount it (and crash in the process), and then I disabled it in FSTAB. (but that is after OS install) 

OSX wants to automount drives in compatible formats and if it finds a parition it can mount and write to in this NVME, it will crash, the problem is the controller on the NVME drive itself, and unless it can be upgraded (in my case they won't/can't) it's never going to work.

I've read people use those, so you'll probably be ok.

Also you can try by just removing the other one and booting, it should get you to the installer at least, even if no other drives are connected and you can't proceed to install the OS, then at least you know everything else is working.

So I removed the SSD from the laptop and tried to boot using the current AND previous config and this it what I got, it just keeps cycling through these same things I took pictures of , 

I let it go for about an hour and it just keeps cycling through.IMG_7063.thumb.JPG.b8110fc012136a88706d411049533896.JPGIMG_7062.thumb.JPG.0753d31fd3af6d89234ea030c721f284.JPGIMG_7061.thumb.JPG.98988e9ff98953479217c3da67502b1a.JPGIMG_7060.thumb.JPG.ebd44487b51e9ee76ab0253a38715045.JPG

I put most of the EFI files into a generic Clover EFI then put that on the usb stick and it booted ! got to where I could select to use disk manager or select install osx ( no ssd in the machine so I couldn't do anything , but why isn't it working with OC ?

6 hours ago, AJC said:

I put most of the EFI files into a generic Clover EFI then put that on the usb stick and it booted ! got to where I could select to use disk manager or select install osx ( no ssd in the machine so I couldn't do anything , but why isn't it working with OC ?

That's great, when you get your new drive you can install and then it's just a matter of slowly and methodically finding the bugs and fixing them.

OpenCore is fantastic but it's also very unforgiving, on my G5 I can't install High Sierra or Mojave using OpenCore but I can using Clover, but I can install Catalina or BS using OpenCore, so who knows, the point is it works, and now the work starts.

so the new drive came in today, I installed it in the laptop then booted with the clover catleina stick. it booted and let me format the drive , then I choose the option to install osx, it thinks for a sec then comes back and says the install media is damaged and cannot be installed. so then I wiped it out and created a whole new one using the terminal commands on my current Mac. it supposedly created successfully so I put the EFI on the new stick and its doing the exact same thing. so then I took the clover EFI off the drive and put your original OC EFI on the drive to try that since it was a new drive. but that didn't work either, acted exactly like it did before ( the last pictures I posted ) 

so what am I doing wrong ? is my mack creating {censored} install media or is there still something in the EFI folders this laptop doesn't like ?

Also, the Catalina file was downloaded directly from apple. I have since deleted it ( thinking it was a bad download) then downloaded a new one form apple. I then created a new drive 

using the terminal commands  and it does exactly the same thing.

I recommend you follow the dortania guide (google dortania open core) to create the installer.

Another option is to use Carbon copy cloner and clone your real mac hdd to this new drive and see if it boots, and if it does, then you can use this os as temporary media to tweak the ACPI and everything else and once your EFI is perfect, then you format and reinstall fresh and you're done.

3 hours ago, AJC said:

so the new drive came in today, I installed it in the laptop then booted with the clover catleina stick. it booted and let me format the drive , then I choose the option to install osx, it thinks for a sec then comes back and says the install media is damaged and cannot be installed. so then I wiped it out and created a whole new one using the terminal commands on my current Mac. it supposedly created successfully so I put the EFI on the new stick and its doing the exact same thing. so then I took the clover EFI off the drive and put your original OC EFI on the drive to try that since it was a new drive. but that didn't work either, acted exactly like it did before ( the last pictures I posted ) 

so what am I doing wrong ? is my mack creating {censored} install media or is there still something in the EFI folders this laptop doesn't like ?

The EFI folder you have right now is not done, the good news is it boots the installer, and hopefully that is enough to start troubleshooting as we'll have access to logs and ioreg, etc...

I don't know why the OC EFI doesn't work, but if clover works, then use clover.

The installer should run if the install media is correct, but it's possible there's more things wrong, it could be a USB thing particular to this laptop, it could be a quirk/setting we're not using, it could be something really simple, and the trick is to try to explain the problem and search it in the different hackintosh forums, I'm sure someone has had the same or a similar problem and the solution could be in one of the replies.

The USB installer thing was too slow for my taste so I just partitioned my ssd and installed the OS in one of the partitions using a real mac, then moved it to the ZBook and with the right EFI settings, everything worked perfectly.

Like I said before, a laptop nobody has is a tough hackintosh to make, so patience and a lot of reading and google will help you get there.

ok, I didn't give up and I didn't shoot at it haha.

I GOT CATALINA INSTALLED !!!!!  its installed and now boots on it own with any usb stick !!!  ( im so excited ! hahah)

But the trackpad doesn't work, the battery manager doesn't work, the new BCM wifi chip isn't showing up and  the screen seems dim. also im not sure what els isn't working behind the scenes.

any ideas ?   FYI ( thank you so much for getting me this far ) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AJC said:

ok, I didn't give up and I didn't shoot at it haha.

I GOT CATALINA INSTALLED !!!!!  its installed and now boots on it own with any usb stick !!!  ( im so excited ! hahah)

But the trackpad doesn't work, the battery manager doesn't work, the new BCM wifi chip isn't showing up and  the screen seems dim. also im not sure what els isn't working behind the scenes.

any ideas ?   FYI ( thank you so much for getting me this far ) 

That's great, now the real work begins.

Write down what you did to get it installed, someone else reading this could benefit from the information.

Ok, so to fix the battery and trackpad and display we'll need the kernel boot log files and an ioreg capture.

(download IORegistryExplorer and Hackintool)

Well I was diving through google trying to figure out what to do next, researching my specs and hackintosh. I finally came across someone who hacked an HP laptop with similar specs as mine. Had the same processor and video combo. It even looked similar to mine. He posted his EFI folder so I downloaded it and gave it a try and it still failed on Catalina. So I put it on a Mojave drive and it installed ! Then I put the raw Catalina file on a usb stick and save it on the ssd and “ upgraded “ Mojave to Catalina.  Except for the stuff that doesn’t work it boots on its own and boots fast with OC 

I’ve downloaded IORegistryExplorer and Hackintool , so now what ?