[GUIDE] Upgrading Clover for mac11+ compatibility using OpenRuntime and Quirks (r5123+)

Guest 5T33Z0
102 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I was planning to install Big Sur on my Lenovo desktop hack, and tried this conversion guide.

In terms of usability, clover 5126 doesn't boot my Big Sur installer (maybe expected) nor my current Catalina installation.

It stops at

rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen 

I attach my config.plist (without SMBIOS section).

System on my signature

config.plist

Hi, 

It's a Skylake desktop.

I have so many boot args because I needed all of them when I first installed my system back in 2016 (I was trying some betas too, because of that I have beta args). Maybe I could retire some of them. 

I'm gonna try your changes as soon as possible. Maybe I could try that tomorrow.

Thanks 

Hi, some updates.

I was trying to build an opencore config for my computer based on opencore guide. I'm stuck on the same place as stuck in clover.

rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen

So there's something with Opencore rater than Clover integration.

@5T33Z0 Nice Tutorial!  Sharing my experience in case it helps others. I'm still running CLOVER r5122 (UEFI) and Catalina 10.15.7.03 as the baseline on my HackMini8,1 and was able to apply your suggestions as follows:

• Removed FSInject.efi
  • Removed SMCHelper.efi (even though I am using FakeSMC.kext)
  • Keeping OcQuirks.efi (since I'm still on r5122)

I tried removing DataHubDxe.efi (since I think my rig is "modern"), but my system will not boot Catalina 10.15.7.03 without DataHubDxe.efi.

My CLOVER drivers are now limited to the following:

• ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • NvmExpressDxe.efi
  • OcQuirks.efi (since I'm still booting with r5122)
  • OpenRuntime.efi
  • VBoxHfs.efi

I'm currently testing this reduced driver set with a USB (keeping my SSD EFI untouched) and will update my SSD after I confirm proper operation through a few boot cycles.

Thanks again!  Nice work.  

EDIT: Note that when booting with OC 0.6.3, I need only the following drivers (still using FakeSMC.kext):

• HfsPlus.efi
  • OpenRuntime.efi
Edited by tonyx86

On 11/28/2020 at 3:07 AM, PippoX0 said:

I will give a try in my legacy rig

Legacy boot of Clover 5126 or 5127 can not boot Big Sur in my FX-6300, P6TSE, P5Q PRO, or GA 775 hackintoshs yet because these have no UEFI. Put OpenRuntime.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/BIOS not working !

But legacy boot with OpenCore worked in these hackintoshs from 10.13.6 to 11.1 smoothly.

If yours can boot Big Sur, can you share your EFI for me ?

Edited by jsl2000

On 12/10/2020 at 2:52 AM, 5T33Z0 said:

@tonyx86 Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's always a bit of experimenting involved. ApfsDriverLoader is included in OpenRuntime so you don't need it in OpenCore. As far as Clover is concerned, you could test if it will boot from apfs volumes without it. But I think it is still required though, since it looks like Clover is only making use of the memory fix portion of OpenRuntime.

I just performed the most recent Catalina 10.15.7 security update and Safari 14.0.2 updates on my HackMini8,1 and the updates were without issues.  I'm posting this as an added validation that my reduced CLOVER driver set (repeated below, still running CLOVER r5122 UEFI) is sufficient for normal Catalina 10.15.7 operation and for Catalina installers.  Thanks again for this thread.

• ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • NvmExpressDxe.efi
  • OpenRuntime.efi
  • VBoxHfs.efi

See new version screenshots here.

Edited by tonyx86

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to a tip from @MacKonsti, I am now running Catalina 10.15.7 without NvmExpressDxe.efi (CLOVER r5122).  My current CLOVER r5122 driver set is as follows:

• ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • OpenRuntime.efi
  • VBoxHfs.efi

Yes @tonyx86 a kind reminder to everyone, NvmExpressDxe.efi is for older maOS's that don't natively support NVMe, we don't need this for Mojave and newer.

That's also my minimum EFI drivers except that I am an old-school guy and still use FSInject.efi and VirtualSMC.efi :D

There is still no conclusive evidence as to whether keep FSInject.efi and VirtualSMC.efi (instead of SMCHelper.efi that's for FakeSMC.kext) and digging on the net only provides some user's feedback rather some developers' insight (as they see the code that I cannot). Originally in older days, it was a "Driver responsible for Clover's /EFI/kexts/XXX kext injection into kernelcache". Not sure if it's now integrated in main CLOVERx64.efi ? Slice responded here but... 8 years ago. 

Perhaps they were indeed for older macOS and since High Sierra or Catalina, they too are no longer needed?

UPDATE:

As Slice reported today, FSInject.efi "is for 10.7 (Lion) and older systems which are able to load individual kexts instead of prelinkedkernel" so I also try booting without it on r5123-1 and I had no issues removing it.

Edited by MacKonsti
  • Like 1

I have created a Clover EFI with r5127, with help of the guide given for big sur and added the necessary kexts, drivers and made the efi to match settings from my old EFI. I am on Pentium G4600,NVIDIA 710, Gigabyte HM110m-h mobo,  i was able to boot the macOS Catalina installer on r5122, but running big sur installer gives kernel panic -

panic cpu2 caller ...initproc exited --exit reason namespace 2subcode 0x4 description:none.

I gave the FakeCPUID 0x0306A0 in the config.plist with the help of clover configurator, added the FakePCIID.kext. Any help at the earliest is highly appreciatable.
I have been able to boot it using OpenCore but I wanted Clover as it helps me with my development process.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@BuXb So concluding from this the bug report if you put and leave your kexts in "other", there won't be any problems with  Big Sur, right?

the bug has been solved. With the fixed Clover boot efi provided by Jeff towards the bottom of that issue thread, Clover now also injects kexts from the 11 folder as supposed if Big Sur is booted. The fix is committed so will be in Clover next stable release.

Also, it seems that the guy who reported the issue just created a subfolder in kexts called "11" and expects Clover to recognize it. I think that path has to be hardcoded into Clover's code to be found. So it's not really a bug it's more like an error on the user's end I think.

sorry but that's wrong, 11 is the appropriate general folder for Big Sur kexts (and so is 11.1 for Big Sur 11.1, 11.2 for Big Sur 11.2 etc.). So if needed in cases of incompatibilities with other macOS one boots parallel, one can have kexts in Other, 11, 11.2, 10, 10.15 etc. :)

Hi

I am trying to install Catalina on an HP EliteBoot 840 G2 (i5-5300U Graphics HD5500 2c4Gb RAM bios M71 1.31)

Once I select Install Catalina from the menu, I am stuck with a line os "+" at the top of the screen, and the log ends with the following 2 lines :

50:825  0:111  OC: Prelinked status - Success
50:945  0:120  OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D535463 Size 1
51:048  0:102  OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D534163 Size 2

Any idea ?

I put my config.plist, preboot and log files

Thanks for your help

config.plist 2021-2-3_22-39-13_Bootx64.efi.log preboot.log

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, got it work Clover v5129

Edit:  I hided macoOS (disk3s5) and it works. 

Since Preboot is now used, which once below (blue) show I hide so it's not showing in Clover Menu? Thanks!

1:                APFS Volume ⁨macOS - Data⁩            238.5 GB   disk3s1

2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 325.2 MB   disk3s2

3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                613.7 MB   disk3s3. (hidden)

4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      2.1 GB     disk3s4. (hidden)

5:                APFS Volume ⁨macOS⁩                   15.1 GB    disk3s5

6:              APFS Snapshot ⁨com.apple.os.update-...⁩ 15.1 GB   

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 11.49.41 AM.png

IMG_0473.jpg

Edited by loganMac

config5114.plist

i have running sandy bridge with catalina boot clover 5114, and after upgrade clover (fresh install to usb), big sur installer finish, and i got preboot volume shown in clover, but doesnt work when boot to the preboot big sur and catalina too. stuck on "++++++" mark before booting mac os

config5129.plist

Sorry for highjacking but probably this is good for those who follow your guide and cannot connect to server when signing to iCloud.  OC had a different name from Clover.  

I wasn't able to connect to my iCloud even thought I can surf the net.  It kept showing cannot connect to server.  I follow Dortania Fixing en0.

First:

In your Setting,--->  Network -->If your Does Not say "Ethernet" (I'm Wired) then you're likely en01 "built-in" is not checked under  HackinTool info.

For me, I felt confused because Dortania explain based on OC not Clover.

2nd:  In Terminal:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Then Reboot.

Finally: See screenshot

Note: In step #5, you type in built-in under Properties Key and 01 under Properties Value and Value Type as Data then Save and finally Reboot.   After reboot, your Network should show "Ethernet".   I

Successfully connected to iCloud.  

217746583_ScreenShot2021-02-20at7_55_22AM.thumb.jpg.71b8636397a22f4641a075a95c807077.jpg

Again sorry @5T33Z0 for highjacking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2020 at 11:39 PM, 5T33Z0 said:

On the weekend I tried to build clover for my current desktop as well with all the necessary settings taken over from my working OpenCore config and I got stuck as well. The "[EB LOG:EXITBS:START]" error seems to be an issue with the 5126 release: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/309

any advancement on that EXITBS:START error?