OpenCore 0.6.2 - Legacy Boot Problem

mickeyd453

74 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, MacNB said:

If you have a working boot via Clover, then post your IOREG file after the system is booted.

Your USB rename may not be working because OC cannot find what you told it to look for.

The IOREG will show you the names of your devices.

Thanks for the help - I have attached the output from IOREG for the same system booting from Clover and OC. For the Clover boot the device _has_ been renamed from EHC1 and EHC2 to EH01 and EH02 as can be seen from the IOReg. You can see that in the OC boot the rename has not occurred therefore the device is still listed as EHC1 and EHC2 and therefore I have no USB ports available. Are there any clues as to why?

ioreg-clover.txt

ioreg-opencore.txt

5 hours ago, mickeyd453 said:

Thanks for the help - I have attached the output from IOREG for the same system booting from Clover and OC. For the Clover boot the device _has_ been renamed from EHC1 and EHC2 to EH01 and EH02 as can be seen from the IOReg. You can see that in the OC boot the rename has not occurred therefore the device is still listed as EHC1 and EHC2 and therefore I have no USB ports available. Are there any clues as to why?

ioreg-clover.txt

ioreg-opencore.txt

Sorry, IOReg text dump not user-friendly. Use IORegistryExplorer App v2.1 and post the saved file

2 hours ago, MacNB said:

Sorry, IOReg text dump not user-friendly. Use IORegistryExplorer App v2.1 and post the saved file

I hope I have done this right. One from a clover boot where the renames work and I have USB and the other from OC when the rename fails.

ioreg-clover.ioreg

ioreg-opencore.ioreg

Edited by mickeyd453

11 hours ago, mickeyd453 said:

I hope I have done this right. One from a clover boot where the renames work and I have USB and the other from OC when the rename fails.

ioreg-clover.ioreg

ioreg-opencore.ioreg

Your OC config seems to be bad.

The IOREG shows that your model ID is set to <"B11K0,21"> !

If you have set the PlatformInfo->Generic->FALSE then it will yield to unpredictable behaviour if ALL the fields of SMBIOS, DataHub, and PlatformNVRAM sections are NOT set correctly. The manual warns:

• Warning: It is strongly discouraged set this option to false when intending to update platform information. The only reason to do that is when doing minor correction of the SMBIOS present and alike. In all other cases not using Automatic may lead to hard to debug errors.

Trust me, I have painfully been through this on my Legacy system where I was getting unpredictable issues with with booting where SATA drives were not booting correctly. vit9696 eventually discovered that it was due to Generic=FALSE

Post your OC EFI folder that you used to generate that IOREG file.

1 hour ago, MacNB said:

Your OC config seems to be bad.

The IOREG shows that your model ID is set to <"B11K0,21"> !

If you have set the PlatformInfo->Generic->FALSE then it will yield to unpredictable behaviour if ALL the fields of SMBIOS, DataHub, and PlatformNVRAM sections are NOT set correctly. The manual warns:

Trust me, I have painfully been through this on my Legacy system where I was getting unpredictable issues with with booting where SATA drives were not booting correctly. vit9696 eventually discovered that it was due to Generic=FALSE

Post your OC EFI folder that you used to generate that IOREG file.

See attached my EFI Folder and a copy of an IOReg from just now. My previous config did have a fully populated Platform Info as without it my 'About this Mac' didnt fully populate. My current config is as attached and it produces the attached about this Mac so perhaps the problem is somewhat related?

thanks for any hints

EFI.zip

ioreg-opencore.ioreg

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 14.55.46.png

2 hours ago, mickeyd453 said:

See attached my EFI Folder and a copy of an IOReg from just now. My previous config did have a fully populated Platform Info as without it my 'About this Mac' didnt fully populate. My current config is as attached and it produces the attached about this Mac so perhaps the problem is somewhat related?

thanks for any hints

EFI.zip

ioreg-opencore.ioreg

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 14.55.46.png

Something is corrupt with your system. Your Mac model in the IOREG is "B11K0,21" :shock:

The model iMac16,1 number you are attempting to use is inappropriate for your Dell 980. You have NOT specified what CPU you have except "i5" and there are hundreds of i5 models. You should complete your signature for your profile.

Chances are you have and i5-650 or 660 or 750, etc Which means that the model ID that is the closest to your system is an iMac11,1. But that model does not support Catalina. You can get around that by using -no_compat_check boot-arg. But a more "generic" model that seems to work well with Nvidia is iMac14,2.

Try the attached EFI. backup your existing EFI and then delete it. In Finder empty the Trash. Then copy the attached EFI folder onto your ESP.

On reboot, it will generate the OC log file. report back results with OC log and/or IOREG.

EFI.zip

3 hours ago, MacNB said:

Something is corrupt with your system. Your Mac model in the IOREG is "B11K0,21" :shock:

The model iMac16,1 number you are attempting to use is inappropriate for your Dell 980. You have NOT specified what CPU you have except "i5" and there are hundreds of i5 models. You should complete your signature for your profile.

Chances are you have and i5-650 or 660 or 750, etc Which means that the model ID that is the closest to your system is an iMac11,1. But that model does not support Catalina. You can get around that by using -no_compat_check boot-arg. But a more "generic" model that seems to work well with Nvidia is iMac14,2.

Try the attached EFI. backup your existing EFI and then delete it. In Finder empty the Trash. Then copy the attached EFI folder onto your ESP.

On reboot, it will generate the OC log file. report back results with OC log and/or IOREG.

EFI.zip

I have run 14,2 up successfully until now with Clover but as I intend to _try_ and run BigSur on here, as it seems to boot!, I thought I'd move to 16,1 and OC.

Attached is both the boot log and the IOREG of the system booting with your EFI and from Opencore.

thanks again!

imac14-opencore.ioreg

opencore-2020-10-20-182610.txt

1 hour ago, mickeyd453 said:

I have run 14,2 up successfully until now with Clover but as I intend to _try_ and run BigSur on here, as it seems to boot!, I thought I'd move to 16,1 and OC.

Attached is both the boot log and the IOREG of the system booting with your EFI and from Opencore.

thanks again!

imac14-opencore.ioreg

opencore-2020-10-20-182610.txt

Well now at least you have a proper iMac model number.

Your About-This-Mac should now display a proper model ID and Serial number.

I think you need to get Catalina working before you try Big Sur on such a legacy platform. iMac16,1 is not a magic model ID to get BS working. You can change iMac14,2 to 1iMac14,4 (mid- 2014) that BS supports later.

Looks like OC did attempt to patch the EHCx to EH0x:

19:025 00:080 OCA: Applying 4 byte ACPI patch skip 0, count 0
19:187 00:161 OCA: Patching DSDT of 18364 bytes with 0000000000000000 ID replaced 2 of 0
19:347 00:160 OCA: Refreshed DSDT checksum to 61
19:428 00:080 OCA: Applying 4 byte ACPI patch skip 0, count 0
19:589 00:161 OCA: Patching DSDT of 18364 bytes with 0000000000000000 ID replaced 2 of 0
19:750 00:160 OCA: Refreshed DSDT checksum to 61

but your IOREG shows that did not happen.

You may want to raise a bug report on Acidanthara bug tracker with all the info and see if the Devs can figure out why the patch is not working.

BTW, you should disable the COM1 port in BIOS setup - it can interfere with Bluetooth adapter - even cause a panic (google the issue with Apple16X50ACPI.kext attaching to COM1).

On 10/20/2020 at 9:30 PM, MacNB said:

Well now at least you have a proper iMac model number.

Your About-This-Mac should now display a proper model ID and Serial number.

I think you need to get Catalina working before you try Big Sur on such a legacy platform. iMac16,1 is not a magic model ID to get BS working. You can change iMac14,2 to 1iMac14,4 (mid- 2014) that BS supports later.

Looks like OC did attempt to patch the EHCx to EH0x:

19:025 00:080 OCA: Applying 4 byte ACPI patch skip 0, count 0
19:187 00:161 OCA: Patching DSDT of 18364 bytes with 0000000000000000 ID replaced 2 of 0
19:347 00:160 OCA: Refreshed DSDT checksum to 61
19:428 00:080 OCA: Applying 4 byte ACPI patch skip 0, count 0
19:589 00:161 OCA: Patching DSDT of 18364 bytes with 0000000000000000 ID replaced 2 of 0
19:750 00:160 OCA: Refreshed DSDT checksum to 61

but your IOREG shows that did not happen.

You may want to raise a bug report on Acidanthara bug tracker with all the info and see if the Devs can figure out why the patch is not working.

BTW, you should disable the COM1 port in BIOS setup - it can interfere with Bluetooth adapter - even cause a panic (google the issue with Apple16X50ACPI.kext attaching to COM1).

This does seem like a bug of some sorts. I will report on their bug tracker but i am not that hopeful of a fix.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, d620osx said:

Hi @mickeyd453,

I have an optiplex 790 which I am using with clover and am looking at moving to open core.

I have tried to follow the legacy install method and am stuck on what I need to do for the ACPI folder and how to create the config file.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thank you

You need to do a bit more reading here specifically Legacy Installer which then goes on to talk about setting up the EFI, etc

• Like 1

You need to do a bit more reading here specifically Legacy Installer which then goes on to talk about setting up the EFI, etc

Hi@MacNB

Thank you for the link. I found it yesterday and did most of it.

When I boot from the usb I get an error about acpi being borked, so looks like I have some work to do on the ssdt.

I copied a pre build one from the link for sandy bridge.

Is the what the acpi error is referring?

Thank you

Hi@MacNB

When I boot from the usb I get an error about acpi being borked, so looks like I have some work to do on the ssdt.

Thank you

Hi[mention=658617]MacNB[/mention]

3 hours ago, d620osx said:

Hi[mention=658617]MacNB[/mention]

You cannot simply copy and use examples without modifying the config for your system.

You have not provided details of the error, the config file, nor the OpenCore log file so no-one can help you. 

• Like 1

You cannot simply copy and use examples without modifying the config for your system.
You have not provided details of the error, the config file, nor the OpenCore log file so no-one can help you. 

Thank you for the heads up. Using multiple tutorials is not a good idea.

I have started again and have managed to get as far as the open core boot menu, but cannot select the partition I want to boot.

So will do a bit more reading on usb fixes and see how I get on.

I have started again and have managed to get as far as the open core boot menu, but cannot select the partition I want to boot.

2 hours ago, d620osx said:

You likely need OpenUSBKbDxe.efi in your Drivers folder

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mickeyd453 said:

You likely need OpenUSBKbDxe.efi in your Drivers folder

Not sure what I did but now I can no longer get to the boot screen.

I have started again but still no joy.

10 hours ago, MacNB said:

Hi 

I have spent most of the day trying to get it to work. I even got as far as getting to the boot menu where I could not select the correct partition. So whilst trying to fix that I seem to have completely broken it.

Now I get it to boot but it stops at watchdog status is 0.

No matter what I try I cannot get any further. 

I have attached my config and the log and would be grateful for any help.

Thank you

opencore-2020-11-18-211043.txt

config.plist

44 minutes ago, d620osx said:

Not sure what I did but now I can no longer get to the boot screen.

I have started again but still no joy.

Hi 

I have spent most of the day trying to get it to work. I even got as far as getting to the boot menu where I could not select the correct partition. So whilst trying to fix that I seem to have completely broken it.

Now I get it to boot but it stops at watchdog status is 0.

No matter what I try I cannot get any further. 

I have attached my config and the log and would be grateful for any help.

Thank you

opencore-2020-11-18-211043.txt

config.plist

You are using NVMEFix kext and NVMeExpressDxe.efi driver. Why ? Do you have a NVMe M2 card on a PCI-e adapter ?

If not then remove them both.

You need HfsPlusLegecy.efi but NOT VboxHfs.efi so remove it.

For Legacy, you don't need Open Runtime.efi so remove it.

Also, unlike Clover, OpenCore requires you to make sure that when you configure a driver in the config,plist, you have to make sure that the driver file actually placed in the correct folder (e.g. in EFI/OC/Drivers and EFI/OC/Kexts). 

On what drive have you installed OpenCore ? HDD, SSD, NVMe or USB ?

My suggestion is you start with USB.

For ACPI, you have TWO EC SSDT's - SSDT-EC-DESKTOP.aml AND SSDT-EC.aml. Why ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MacNB said:

You are using NVMEFix kext and NVMeExpressDxe.efi driver. Why ? Do you have a NVMe M2 card on a PCI-e adapter ?

If not then remove them both.

You need HfsPlusLegecy.efi but NOT VboxHfs.efi so remove it.

For Legacy, you don't need Open Runtime.efi so remove it.

Also, unlike Clover, OpenCore requires you to make sure that when you configure a driver in the config,plist, you have to make sure that the driver file actually placed in the correct folder (e.g. in EFI/OC/Drivers and EFI/OC/Kexts). 

On what drive have you installed OpenCore ? HDD, SSD, NVMe or USB ?

My suggestion is you start with USB.

For ACPI, you have TWO EC SSDT's - SSDT-EC-DESKTOP.aml AND SSDT-EC.aml. Why ?

Hi @MacNB,

Thank you again for looking at the files. I do not have a nvme but trying to trouble shoot I was obviously adding thing I should not have.

I was also booting using a USB key which for some reason is very slow. What I did is copied the amended EFI onto another usb drive which got to the boot menu and allowed me to select the partition I needed. It then started to boot Catalina but the failed with the error shown on the picture.

The SSDT-EC was made using the clover DSDT and SSDTTime with the option 2 applied. No further changes were made so not sure if I need to patch this.

I do have a pci e usb3 card, pci firewire and a GT 710 GPU installed, do I remove the usb 3 and firewire and give it another go?

opencore-2020-11-19-053110.txt

config.plist

IMG_1440.jpg

4 hours ago, d620osx said:

Having a further play, when I remove the usb bluetooth dongle I can boot into OS .

Thank you@MacNB for helping me get this faremoji106.png.

I think I now need to try and patch my ssdt for use, what is the best place to start with.

Well done.

If your BT dongle is failing to boot your OS then it could be an issue with USB ports - don't know.

Also I have no idea what the Dell Sensors Kext does and whether you need it. 

Also you still have the NVMeFix kext. Why do you have that if your have no NVMe drives ?

Regarding SSDT's it depends what you mean by "patch my ssdt". What do think you need to patch ?

When you use Clover, did you have a DSDT.aml file ?

Did you use SSDT's in Clover ?

If you wish to know about ACPI & SSDT's, see the same guide here.

Note : it's not quite for beginners and it does cover many different (and usually newer) systems.

You should also read this guide for converting from clover to OpenCore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MacNB said:

Well done.

If your BT dongle is failing to boot your OS then it could be an issue with USB ports - don't know.

Also I have no idea what the Dell Sensors Kext does and whether you need it. 

Also you still have the NVMeFix kext. Why do you have that if your have no NVMe drives ?

Regarding SSDT's it depends what you mean by "patch my ssdt". What do think you need to patch ?

When you use Clover, did you have a DSDT.aml file ?

Did you use SSDT's in Clover ?

If you wish to know about ACPI & SSDT's, see the same guide here.

Note : it's not quite for beginners and it does cover many different (and usually newer) systems.

You should also read this guide for converting from clover to OpenCore.

Hi 

Yes looks like I have an issues with the BT dongle as without it I can get to the boot. However once booted and in OS X after a bit the who machine hangs. So may be other issues. It is working fine on clover for now so may have to save all the OpenCore files for now and stick with clover.

I had missed the NVME kext which I have removed and have been reading up on the SSDT and migrating from clover but a lot of it is as you say is difficult.

May be when I have some more time I will look into open core further. In the meantime I will see if I can build a ssdt file with the fixes for my dell machine.

Thank you for all you help.