OpenCore 0.6.2 - Legacy Boot Problem

mickeyd453

74 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, d620osx said:

Hi 

Yes looks like I have an issues with the BT dongle as without it I can get to the boot. However once booted and in OS X after a bit the who machine hangs. So may be other issues. It is working fine on clover for now so may have to save all the OpenCore files for now and stick with clover.

I had missed the NVME kext which I have removed and have been reading up on the SSDT and migrating from clover but a lot of it is as you say is difficult.

May be when I have some more time I will look into open core further. In the meantime I will see if I can build a ssdt file with the fixes for my dell machine.

Thank you for all you help. 

You are welcome.

You have an Nvidia 710 GPU. One problem you will have moving from Clover to OpenCore is that OpenCore does NOT have the equivalent to Inject Nvidia in the config (which you most likely using in Clover).

This has to be done either via and SSDT or by Device Properties Injection in the OC config.plist. See this topic where I helped a few folks to achieve that.

If you want help with that, post the IOREG file (saved from using IORegistryExplorer App v2.1) for you system booted with Clover.

Also post your Clover EFI folder zipped up (WITHOUT the Themes folder).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 9:07 PM, MacNB said:

You are welcome.

You have an Nvidia 710 GPU. One problem you will have moving from Clover to OpenCore is that OpenCore does NOT have the equivalent to Inject Nvidia in the config (which you most likely using in Clover).

This has to be done either via and SSDT or by Device Properties Injection in the OC config.plist. See this topic where I helped a few folks to achieve that.

If you want help with that, post the IOREG file (saved from using IORegistryExplorer App v2.1) for you system booted with Clover.

Also post your Clover EFI folder zipped up (WITHOUT the Themes folder).

Hi @MacNB,

Thank you for your offer with the help in getting OC working on my machine with GT710.

I have attached the clover folder and the ioreg info which I am hoping is what you need.

Sorry for the delaying in getting the file.

Thank you

CLOVER.zip

Mac_ioreg.ioreg

1 hour ago, d620osx said:

Hi @MacNB,

Thank you for your offer with the help in getting OC working on my machine with GT710.

I have attached the clover folder and the ioreg info which I am hoping is what you need.

Thank you

CLOVER.zip

Mac_ioreg.ioreg

I also have a GT 710 and I have never needed to make any changes to have it recognised out of the box on all recent Mac OS's - what is the issue you are facing with OC and the GT 710 ?

I also have a GT 710 and I have never needed to make any changes to have it recognised out of the box on all recent Mac OS's - what is the issue you are facing with OC and the GT 710 ?

Hi

It works fine with clover, but on OC it freezes after a few minutes.

Thank you

21 minutes ago, mickeyd453 said:

your desktop freezes? In about this mac is it displayed correctly?

Yes it is displayed correctly:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 2 GB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x128b

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: VBIOS 80.28.a6.00.22

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

9 hours ago, d620osx said:

Hi @MacNB,

Thank you

CLOVER.zip

Mac_ioreg.ioreg

You have a DSDT.aml so I have modified it to add GFX0 Device for the GT 710.

It is called OC-DSDT.aml.

OC-DSDT.aml

Add it to OC EFI folder (EFI/OC/ACPI)

Add an entry in your OC config.plist to enable the load of this file:

1274106577_Screenshot2020-12-22at20_29_52.png.8c5de5231e224a3445d81fe60c2c73d0.png

test it.

Post your OC config.plist and IOREG file after booting with OC

Edited by MacNB
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MacNB said:

You have a DSDT.aml so I have modified it to add GFX0 Device for the GT 710.

It is called OC-DSDT.aml.

OC-DSDT.aml

Add it to OC EFI folder (EFI/OC/ACPI)

Add an entry in your OC config.plist to enable the load of this file:

1274106577_Screenshot2020-12-22at20_29_52.png.8c5de5231e224a3445d81fe60c2c73d0.png

test it.

Post your OC config.plist and IOREG file after booting with OC

Morning @MacNB,

Thank you for the file. I have done as suggested and booted from the OC USB. It did freeze after some time so not sure if it is a user error.

I have attached the config and ioreg file post OC boot.

Also not sure I have the serial number info correctly as when I logged via OC I was being asked to log back into iCloud, and About This Mac did not show the Serial number as it does with Clover. I also noticed that if I boot with the usb bluetooth dongle using OC it would cause a panic at boot and I get the error.

OC_IOREG.ioreg

config.plist

Edited by d620osx
Upload limit reached, cannot add image

4 hours ago, d620osx said:

Morning @MacNB,

Thank you for the file. I have done as suggested and booted from the OC USB. It did freeze after some time so not sure if it is a user error.

I have attached the config and ioreg file post OC boot.

Also not sure I have the serial number info correctly as when I logged via OC I was being asked to log back into iCloud, and About This Mac did not show the Serial number as it does with Clover. I also noticed that if I boot with the usb bluetooth dongle using OC it would cause a panic at boot and I get the error attached.

OC_IOREG.ioreg

config.plist

You have not attached OC log file. It is in the root of the EFI folder.

You have not attached panic boot error.

Your IOREG shows that you appear to have a Serial COM port. It should be disabled in BIOS as it can cause issues in macOS.

The IOREG now shows that the GT 710 is setup correctly.

You have a lot of issues with your OC config.

You also have issues with your Clover config.plist (No ROM, no MLB, Boardserial incorrect, Inject ATI=YES, Inject Intel=Yes, Inject Nvidia=NO :surprised:)

You have not setup the PlatformInfo correctly (read the OC manual). You set Automatic=YES but did NOT setup the Generic section (it's missing). As a consequence, OC setup the defaults platform to MacPro6,1 with placeholder serial & MLB (check your IOREG). That is why you are being asked to sign into iCloud as it is now a new machine you are signing into.

When you set Automatic=Yes, the Generic is used and SMBIOS is NOT used. If you set Automatic=NO (not recommended !), then you have to setup SMBIOS manually and very precisely.

Even in your Clover config, you did not setup the MLB correctly. MLB is your BoardSerialNumber which set to same as your system SerialNumber which is incorrect.

You have enabled ACPI patches _Q11 & _Q12. Why ? They do not exist in your DSDT.

You have not enable FadtEnableReset in ACPI Quirks. It helps with shutdown/restart issues on legacy systems.

You are setting Audio Layout ID in the boot-args (alcid=1) so there's no need to inject Device-Properties->Add->layout-id.

The order in which you Add kexts is important as that's the order OC will inject into the kernel. It is best to load Lilu first (which you did) followed by it's plugins (VirtualSMC, AppleALC, Whatevergreen).

In the NVRAM section, you have disabled SIP (csr-active-config=0) which does not match you Clover config where SIP is enabled. To enable it, set it to E7030000 (see the OC manual).

I assume your system does not have a real working NVRAM and if NOT, you have to emulate one. Read the OC manual (hint: logouthook.command).

I have made the changes in the config.plist for you but that does not preclude you from reading the OC manual.

Copy it over your config.plist and try it. Report back with OC log file & IOREG.

config.plist

EDIT: Replaced the PlatformInfo->Generic->MLB value in the config.plist with this one: C12339404GUJG36CB as this one is in correct format.

Edited by MacNB
New MLB
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MacNB said:

In the NVRAM section, you have disabled SIP (csr-active-config=0) which does not match you Clover config where SIP is enabled. To enable it, set it to E7030000 (see the OC manual).

It not right!
Еnabled SIP csr-active-config=00000000

In most cases not need disabled SIP

1 hour ago, Andrey1970 said:

It not right!

1 hour ago, Andrey1970 said:

It not right!

Yes you are right it should have written  "you have SIP enabled but in Clover you have it disabled". enabled/disabled swapped around.

The point I was that I was trying to match his Clover config where SIP is disabled.

Edited by MacNB

7 hours ago, MacNB said:

You have not attached OC log file. It is in the root of the EFI folder.

You have not attached panic boot error.

Your IOREG shows that you appear to have a Serial COM port. It should be disabled in BIOS as it can cause issues in macOS.

The IOREG now shows that the GT 710 is setup correctly.

You have a lot of issues with your OC config.

You also have issues with your Clover config.plist (No ROM, no MLB, Boardserial incorrect, Inject ATI=YES, Inject Intel=Yes, Inject Nvidia=NO :surprised:)

You have not setup the PlatformInfo correctly (read the OC manual). You set Automatic=YES but did NOT setup the Generic section (it's missing). As a consequence, OC setup the defaults platform to MacPro6,1 with placeholder serial & MLB (check your IOREG). That is why you are being asked to sign into iCloud as it is now a new machine you are signing into.

When you set Automatic=Yes, the Generic is used and SMBIOS is NOT used. If you set Automatic=NO (not recommended !), then you have to setup SMBIOS manually and very precisely.

Even in your Clover config, you did not setup the MLB correctly. MLB is your BoardSerialNumber which set to same as your system SerialNumber which is incorrect.

You have enabled ACPI patches _Q11 & _Q12. Why ? They do not exist in your DSDT.

You have not enable FadtEnableReset in ACPI Quirks. It helps with shutdown/restart issues on legacy systems.

You are setting Audio Layout ID in the boot-args (alcid=1) so there's no need to inject Device-Properties->Add->layout-id.

The order in which you Add kexts is important as that's the order OC will inject into the kernel. It is best to load Lilu first (which you did) followed by it's plugins (VirtualSMC, AppleALC, Whatevergreen).

I assume your system does not have a real working NVRAM and if NOT, you have to emulate one. Read the OC manual (hint: logouthook.command).

I have made the changes in the config.plist for you but that does not preclude you from reading the OC manual.

Copy it over your config.plist and try it. Report back with OC log file & IOREG.

config.plist

EDIT: Replaced the PlatformInfo->Generic->MLB value in the config.plist with this one: C12339404GUJG36CB as this one is in correct format.

Thank you as always for your time and help.

I have copied across the config to the usb I use to boot OC and this time it does not get as far as booting OS X. I have tested with and without the bluetooth usb dongle and get the same error.

I have read the OC manual, but a lot of it has not been sticking in the head, so will do a bit more reading. With regards to the config for clover everything works as expected on the machine so not sure why it all a mess.

Thank you

Error.jpg

opencore-2020-12-23-205411.txt

1 hour ago, d620osx said:

Thank you as always for your time and help.

I have copied across the config to the usb I use to boot OC and this time it does not get as far as booting OS X. I have tested with and without the bluetooth usb dongle and get the same error.

I have read the OC manual, but a lot of it has not been sticking in the head, so will do a bit more reading. With regards to the config for clover everything works as expected on the machine so not sure why it all a mess.

Thank you

opencore-2020-12-23-205411.txt

Hmmm. interesting. I had made a couple of changes which I did not think was required for your Sandy Bridge CPU.

They are put back so try the attached config.plist

config.plist

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, d620osx said:

Morning,

Thank you for the updated file, but had the same issue. OC log attached.

opencore-2020-12-24-093800.txt

Turned off AppleXcpmCfgLock as it should not be needed for your CPU.

Try the attached config-3.plist. Obviously rename it to config.plist first.

If that does not work then, your Dell motherboard might need a custom SMBIOS GUID (though that's usually for Dell laptops).

To enable that, set CustomSMBIOSGuid to Yes/True and UpdateSMBIOSMode=Custom

config-3.plist

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Turned off AppleXcpmCfgLock as it should not be needed for your CPU.

Try the attached config-3.plist. Obviously rename it to config.plist first.

If that does not work then, your Dell motherboard might need a custom SMBIOS GUID (though that's usually for Dell laptops).

To enable that, set CustomSMBIOSGuid to Yes/True and UpdateSMBIOSMode=Custom

config-3.plist

Thank you for the new file. Managed to boot into OSX but same issue where it froze after some time. And would only boot without the usb bluetooth dongle.

May be I should just stick with Clover for now.:(

opencore-2020-12-24-112059.txt

3 hours ago, d620osx said:

Thank you for the new file. Managed to boot into OSX but same issue where it froze after some time. And would only boot without the usb bluetooth dongle.

May be I should just stick with Clover for now.:(

opencore-2020-12-24-112059.txt

Looks like you a problem with your USB configuration.

In clover, you have a different version of USB inject all kext vs. OC and may be even different mapping.

The version you are using in Clover is not really configured for your system at all but generic. It seems you took that kext and just used it.:

234191306_Screenshot2020-12-24at14_37_40.thumb.png.ddd2a5c07b2d937df9f5229e0741a52a.png

One on your OC USB is version 0.7.1 build "Release-jenkins" whereas one on your Clover EFI is version 0.5.17 build "Release-rehabman".

The purpose of that kext is to aide you inject ALL possible USB ports, and THEN for you to find the ACTUAL USB ports that exist and map/configure them in the Info.plist file of that kext.

There are guides on how to do that. That applies to Clover too.

You could try that kext you are using in Clover by replacing the one on your OC USB.

Also, you should use a USB 2.0 port (not USB 3.0) for booting off USB.

Also, XhciPortLimit is enabled but I am sure your system does not have more than 15 USB 3.0 ports and should be set to No/False.

According to your DSDT, motherboard does not have any USB 3.0 ports but according to your IOREG, you have a PCIe USB 3.0 add-in board based on FL1100 chipset with 4 ports.

Which means, XhciPortLimit is not required to be enabled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacNB said:

Looks like you a problem with your USB configuration.

In clover, you have a different version of USB inject all kext vs. OC and may be even different mapping.

The version you are using in Clover is not really configured for your system at all but generic. It seems you took that kext and just used it.:

234191306_Screenshot2020-12-24at14_37_40.thumb.png.ddd2a5c07b2d937df9f5229e0741a52a.png

One on your OC USB is version 0.7.1 build "Release-jenkins" whereas one on your Clover EFI is version 0.5.17 build "Release-rehabman".

The purpose of that kext is to aide you inject ALL possible USB ports, and THEN for you to find the ACTUAL USB ports that exist and map/configure them in the Info.plist file of that kext.

There are guides on how to do that. That applies to Clover too.

You could try that kext you are using in Clover by replacing the one on your OC USB.

Also, you should use a USB 2.0 port (not USB 3.0) for booting off USB.

Also, XhciPortLimit is enabled but I am sure your system does not have more than 15 USB 3.0 ports and should be set to No/False.

According to your DSDT, motherboard does not have any USB 3.0 ports but according to your IOREG, you have a PCIe USB 3.0 add-in board based on FL1100 chipset with 4 ports.

Which means, XhciPortLimit is not required to be enabled.

Thank you, will give this a go. Would the USB kext also cause the freeze of the system after a few minutes, using the now config and OC-DSDT.aml.

With regards to the other items you are 100% correct, I have 8 usb 2 ports and 2 usb 3 via a PCI port. Whenever I boot,I boot via the front usb 2 port. The USB 3 are only used when I am backing up the data to a USB 3 HDD.

Thank you for all your help.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:35 PM, d620osx said:

Thank you, will give this a go. Would the USB kext also cause the freeze of the system after a few minutes, using the now config and OC-DSDT.aml.

USB kext should not cause "freeze". 

What do you mean by "freeze" ? Is just the USB ports frozen or has the system crashed.

If you plugged in wired USB mouse, does that still work.

Swap the USB inject kext first.

Enable File Sharing in System Prefs and share a folder or drive, reboot and see if you can access that folder from another system on your local network.

If you can access them after the system has "frozen" then it's your USB that's frozen and not the system. 

As soon as you login, send the IOREG file before the system freezes.

Edited by MacNB
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 12:12 PM, MacNB said:

USB kext should not cause "freeze". 

What do you mean by "freeze" ? Is just the USB ports frozen or has the system crashed.

If you plugged in wired USB mouse, does that still work.

Swap the USB inject kext first.

Enable File Sharing in System Prefs and share a folder or drive, reboot and see if you can access that folder from another system on your local network.

If you can access them after the system has "frozen" then it's your USB that's frozen and not the system. 

As soon as you login, send the IOREG file before the system freezes.

Hi @MacNB,

After the above post I had a play with my setup and re-did the full open core folder using Opencore x app. I used your oc-dsdt file, and it booted first time, so yes agree I think my initial setup was a mess with the config and the kext files.

The machine has been running fine for the last two days, so fingers correct that it keeps working and I can try an update to Big Sur.

Once again thank you for all your help and time in getting my OC working.

24 minutes ago, d620osx said:

Hi @MacNB,

After the above post I had a play with my setup and re-did the full open core folder using Opencore x app. I used your oc-dsdt file, and it booted first time, so yes agree I think my initial setup was a mess with the config and the kext files.

The machine has been running fine for the last two days, so fingers correct that it keeps working and I can try an update to Big Sur.

Once again thank you for all your help and time in getting my OC working.

You're welcome.

Big Sur will not work on your system as-is.

See this guide before spending a lot of effort.

• Like 1

You're welcome.

Big Sur will not work on your system as-is.
See this guide before spending a lot of effort.

Ahhh bugger. Looks like may have to look for another cheap hackintosh.

Any suggestions on a dell or HP machine to look for? Don’t need a super fast one so one that would work and would be easily upgrade able would be good.

Thank you

50 minutes ago, d620osx said:

Ahhh bugger. Looks like may have to look for another cheap hackintosh.emoji20.png

Any suggestions on a dell or HP machine to look for? Don’t need a super fast one so one that would work and would be easily upgrade able would be good.

Thank you

Really could not pinpoint a machine for you buy but you should look for something that's close in spec to a real Mac after late 2014/15 (an iMac from this list).

Choose one that has AMD GPU so that you can add; something like an RX560/570/580 which you can pick cheap on flee bay.

You would need to check if your GT 710 is still supported on Big Sur (on that guide I sent). I know someone is using an old Nvidia GTX650 that's still supported.

A problem with a lot of ready built systems is that they tend to come with Nvidia GPU's that are not supported (especially high-end ones). The low-end ones do not have any GPU's but the integrated ones - may that's what you look for.

I was going to invest in upgrading my ageing 3rd Gen CPU to a 10th Gen Intel CPU, new Motherboard, AMD 5700XT, new PSU, etc, etc but no point anymore as Hackintosh days are coming to an end and might as well spend the money (and a little bit more) on a real Apple silicon Mac (when the next version of M1 chip comes out).

Even today, the M1 bases Mac mini is quite competitive and it's getting rave reviews (albeit mainly from Apple fanboys but also some independents).

• Like 1

Really could not pinpoint a machine for you buy but you should look for something that's close in spec to a real Mac after late 2014/15 (an iMac from this list).
Choose one that has AMD GPU so that you can add; something like an RX560/570/580 which you can pick cheap on flee bay.
You would need to check if your GT 710 is still supported on Big Sur (on that guide I sent). I know someone is using an old Nvidia GTX650 that's still supported.
A problem with a lot of ready built systems is that they tend to come with Nvidia GPU's that are not supported (especially high-end ones). The low-end ones do not have any GPU's but the integrated ones - may that's what you look for.

I was going to invest in upgrading my ageing 3rd Gen CPU to a 10th Gen Intel CPU, new Motherboard, AMD 5700XT, new PSU, etc, etc but no point anymore as Hackintosh days are coming to an end and might as well spend the money (and a little bit more) on a real Apple silicon Mac (when the next version of M1 chip comes out).
Even today, the M1 bases Mac mini is quite competitive and it's getting rave reviews (albeit mainly from Apple fanboys but also some independents).

Thank you, yes agree. May just have to save up and upgrade to a macmini with the m1 chip.

Will keep using the machine I have for now and see how it goes.