Marvell Yukon PCI-E 8056 works?

rgb

91 posts in this topic

i have similiar problem too..... can anyone help us ???

or by uploading Info.plist somewhere in the net.... thx in advance

I too am using the Gygabyte GA-965P-DS3P rev 3.3 board everything works here but the network and i get nothink when trying to edit the IONetworkFamilt.kext either it appears blank :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

New here, thought I'd give the Hack a shot, I DL'd an image and after much f&$&ing about got it to work, I was dead surprised (and pleased)

However, I too have a DS3 with the Yukon 88E8056 ethernet card. I'm using Leo 9a581 and when I try locate the Yukon file I cant find it, only the Yukon2 file, which I tried editing anyway (as per the guides) with no luck. DO I need to CREATE a Yukon file then edit that? Is Leo different from Tiger in this respect?

Hope all is hanging well for Y'all :-)

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi rammjet,

I followed your howto and unfortunately it has not worked out for me...

I followed your instructions to the letter, and upon rebooting I was confronted with the following messages:

'System extension cannot be used ' the system extension /System/library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext' was installed improperly and cannot be used...'

This message was followed by others that were identical aprt from the associated extension that had failed.. these were

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamiley.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamiley.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

and

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamiley.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext

I had previously edited 'AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext' adn added the Yukon 88E8056 card ID and vendor details, as seen in another post...

Any ideas onwhy this has not worked and I have these error messages would be much appreciated...

Thanks

Danskiman

To get your Yukon 88E8056 Ethernet to work, you need to add your device id to the AppleYukon.kext. Go to Terminal and type:
cd /System/Library/Extensions                                             <-- changes directory
sudo nano IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Info.plist   <-- edits file

(find and change: <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>)
  (to:              <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>)       <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>)
  (to:              <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>)       <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>0x436211AB</string>)
  (to:              <string>0x436411AB</string>)    <-- change "62" to "64"

(press Control-O)                                   <-- saves changes
(press Y and Enter)                                 <-- accepts saving to existing file
(press Control-X)                                   <-- exits nano

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext    <-- repairs permissions
cd /System/Library                                  <-- changes directories
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache   <-- rebuilds kextcache on reboot

Then reboot.

Hi rammjet,

I followed your howto and unfortunately it has not worked out for me...

I followed your instructions to the letter, and upon rebooting I was confronted with the following messages:

'System extension cannot be used ' the system extension /System/library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext' was installed improperly and cannot be used...'

This message was followed by others that were identical aprt from the associated extension that had failed.. these were

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamiley.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamiley.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

and

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamiley.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext

I had previously edited 'AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext' adn added the Yukon 88E8056 card ID and vendor details, as seen in another post...

Any ideas onwhy this has not worked and I have these error messages would be much appreciated...

Thanks

Danskiman

Danskiman,

Did you get this fixed? If not try the following:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

diskutil RepairPermissions /

reboot

Hope this helps.

Hi mac-n-cheeze,

no I havent got it to work...

I have tried several things to no-avail...

I have downloaded a bundle from 'irc.osx86.hu' #radeon topic, and overwritten the extensions folder with the files contained within.

But on rebooting, OSX informs me that 'NATIT' was not installed correctly....and cant be used..

Under NEtworks my ethernet card status reads connected but I cannot connect to the net through any browser..

i may try the apple yukon workaround with vendor ID and device details with your added instructions to see what i get...

this is really frustrating, because aprt from this and my ATI 2900xt not working, OS X rocks...

a definitive 'howto' for the 8056 marvell yukon is needed, me thinks!

cheers

Danskiman,

Did you get this fixed? If not try the following:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

diskutil RepairPermissions /

reboot

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Im running a flat-image of osx Leopard on an Asus Pk5-e board with the 88E8056 Marvel Yukon ethernet card. Im sure this will work on any board with the card on it so this is how I got mine to work.

Find and Download the "gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2", then in Terminal, type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions <-- changes directory

sudo nano IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Plugins/Info.plist <-- edits file

(find and change: <string>0x9E001148</string>) <-- there will be many

(find and change: <string>0x21001148</string>) <-- again, there will be many

(to: <string>0x436411AB</string>)

(press Control-O) <-- saves changes

(press Enter) <-- accepts saving to existing file

(press Control-X) <-- exits nano

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext <-- repairs permissions

cd /System/Library <-- changes directories

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache <-- rebuilds kextcache on reboot

exit <-- saves it all

*Now Reboot your system. When Leopard starts back up, go into your "System Preferences" and into your "Network". In there go to your "Ethernet" icon on the left hand side and change your settings to "DHCP" (mostly if your on a router, if your directly on a cable modem or DSL modem it can be different, pretty self explanatory though) then watch it reconnect. And WALAH!!! I was surprised too. I nearly keeled over in excitement.

--Thanks to all those MILLIONS of posts that help gather together all this information.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried changing the numbers as per previous post and per one of the other previous ones,and upon rebooting I didn't get network with my Abit IP35-E yukon ..56 adapter

i checked the info.plist in YukonGigabit2 and none of the numbers changed with the Terminal commands is there a way to do it manually?Thanks guys

As said before-

cd /System/Library/Extensions <-- changes directory

sudo nano IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Info.plist <-- edits file

(find and change: <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>)

(to: <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>)

(to: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>0x436211AB</string>)

(to: <string>0x436411AB</string>) <-- change "62" to "64"

(press Control-O) <-- saves changes

(press Y and Enter) <-- accepts saving to existing file

(press Control-X) <-- exits nano

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext <-- repairs permissions

cd /System/Library <-- changes directories

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache <-- rebuilds kextcache on reboot

You can search pressing F6 in nano

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys. I followed all the directions, specially entry #4 and entered the code correctly in the Terminal window. I also downloaded gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2 and installed the Yukon adapter's package by itself. I booted and still not working.

Is there something else that I can try. Been trying to fix this for 2 days now, driving me nuts.

Please help!

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the trick above on my xps m1530 which has a 88e8040 Ethernet. However my leopard will crash after a reboot, just got stuck at the apple booting screen. I modified the 8053 part. Shall I modified 8055 part and get a secondary id match? Can anyone help? Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

It doesn't work for me.

"sudo nano IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist <-- edits file"

I can't find the file. Whenever I type this command, he want to create a "Info.plist". Can't edit it.

With and without bolded "/Contents".

• 4 weeks later...

Don't have the rights.

Hi!

It doesn't work for me.

"sudo nano IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist <-- edits file"

I can't find the file. Whenever I type this command, he want to create a "Info.plist". Can't edit it.

With and without bolded "/Contents".

Same for me. It says I don't have the rights to modify the file. I event tried from ubuntu but it does not work either. =(

• 1 month later...

Edit info.plist method is working in kalway and iatoks.

But when I use EFI methodl to install 10.5.2 , edit yukon2.kext/info.plist is not work.

The Yukon8056 lan card not show in system.

this problem is so strange.

then I try find other Yukon.kext(may be patched) on the net , and the lan card is showing up .

But unlucky , that port can't ping or route to the lan......

Anyone can help or have same problem?

Edit info.plist method is working in kalway and iatoks.

But when I use EFI methodl to install 10.5.2 , edit yukon2.kext/info.plist is not work.

The Yukon8056 lan card not show in system.

this problem is so strange.

then I try find other Yukon.kext(may be patched) on the net , and the lan card is showing up .

But unlucky , that port can't ping or route to the lan......

Anyone can help or have same problem?

Hi lla,

I have a IP35 and i have the exact same problem. With Leo4all V3 and Kalyway the 8056 works great, but with EFI i cannot seem to get it to work yet. If I find i solution i'll let you know, but i only started yesterday with this stuff, so i am still in learning-mode :)

Hi lla,

I have a IP35 and i have the exact same problem. With Leo4all V3 and Kalyway the 8056 works great, but with EFI i cannot seem to get it to work yet. If I find i solution i'll let you know, but i only started yesterday with this stuff, so i am still in learning-mode :)

Ok for me the solution was to boot with -x -v flags, enable the interface in System Preferences and then reboot again. Lan is working for me now :(

Thank you very much .

unload the lan card and the driver . And rebuild the driver , using edit Info.plist .

then Boot into -x (safemode) and can kill the problem.

• 1 month later...

On IATKOS v2 with Asus P5K Pro with onboard 8056 LAN I had to edit

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

After editing file from this earlier post.... reboot and everything worked!! :P

Now all I need to get working is

Realtek ALC883 Audio

THANKS RAMMJET!!!

In case anyone has the same "Ethernet Cable Unplugged" message in the network system preferences

I used following command.

open a terminal window

sudo -s

ifconfig en0 down

ifconfig en0 up

It was originally suggested as

a) open a terminal window

c) sudo -s

:P ifconfig en1 down

d) ifconfig en1 up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks HEAPS pwkim21 :thumbsup_anim: , your additional details in post #33 fixed my problem. I have an Asus P5K Deluxe mainboard with the 88E8056 adapter.

now I just need to find the commands in an earlier post because it thinks a cable is still unplugged.