Opencore Gigabyte Z390 /9700k/ Vega 64 build

13 posts in this topic

Hey all, hope you’re well :-)

Writing this from a phone so apologies in advance for formatting errors etc.

I’d like to build / am in the process of building a new machine. I started, then my mobo died and had to be rma’d and that put things on hold for a while..

Now things are are back on track here’s what I’m looking at. 

I would like the system to boot Mac OS for music etc and as main / general os, Windows for gaming and Linux for development etc.

Heres the hardware I’m looking at - when I was looking at this previously I had set it up with clover but am definitely looking to go opencore this time around.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro / Aorus Pro WiFi 

Intel 9700k

Corsair 650w PSU

CoolerMaster ML240L

MSI Air Boost Vega 64

970 evo 1TB (Mac)

Intel 660p 512GB (Windows)

Crucial BX500 120GB (Linux)

2TB Barracuda or WD Blue (Storage)

Fenvi FV HB-1200 WiFi / Bluetooth 

Aerocool Cylon Case

I wanted to rival next generation games consoles and get a newer GPU but I will not be using Catalina due to the removal of 32 bit support. Therefore I think the vega is about as good as I can get with Mojave, and it will still work fine in windows for gaming etc. 

What are your thoughts on the above hardware ? 

Hack/Mac-able? / With opencore ?

Any Issues I may encounter ?

I think I have most of the drivers / kexts for opencore together already but I’m obviously unable to progress with the ssdt files without the hardware. Wanted some advice on whether or not it’s doable before I splash the cash :D

I’ll also add to this thread / move it appropriately as the build progresses, hopefully smoothly :D

peace & thanks in advance :-)

Edited by char543

To update, The MSI card was out of stock by the time i got round to purchasing. Had to go with a Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64

Heres a list of everything i got:

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro

Intel 9700k

Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 Nitro +

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD (Mac)

2TB WD Blue (Storage)

Fenvi FV-HB1200

CoolerMaster ML240L

Corsair 650w PSU

Aerocool Cylon Case

Cant wait to get started!

As i said, I'm looking to go opencore with this build and it will be the first time I've used it to setup a system. I will be running Mojave 10.14.6. I think as far as hardware goes the above list is pretty compatible and i should be able to get it all setup no fuss but, Is there anything i should be aware of? I have heard of issues with others trying to multi boot windows / linux with osx for example and I wouldn't want any issues there. Also any other quirks that may arise from this particular hardware, would be handy to know.

Thanks

I'll update as stuff arrives and things get going, or, when i get stuck and tired of banging my head on the keyboard :-)  

59 minutes ago, char543 said:

To update, The MSI card was out of stock by the time i got round to purchasing. Had to go with a Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64

Heres a list of everything i got:

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro

Intel 9700k

Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 Nitro +

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD (Mac)

2TB WD Blue (Storage)

Fenvi FV-HB1200

CoolerMaster ML240L

Corsair 650w PSU

Aerocool Cylon Case

Cant wait to get started!

As i said, I'm looking to go opencore with this build and it will be the first time I've used it to setup a system. I will be running Mojave 10.14.6. I think as far as hardware goes the above list is pretty compatible and i should be able to get it all setup no fuss but, Is there anything i should be aware of? I have heard of issues with others trying to multi boot windows / linux with osx for example and I wouldn't want any issues there. Also any other quirks that may arise from this particular hardware, would be handy to know.

Thanks

I'll update as stuff arrives and things get going, or, when i get stuck and tired of banging my head on the keyboard :-)  

Google OpenCore Desktop Guide. to build  you Efi folder

8 minutes ago, BALDY_MAN said:

Google OpenCore Desktop Guide. to build  you Efi folder

Hey @BALDY_MAN, Thanks for the response!

I managed to get so far with the EFI folder but couldn't proceed because i need the actual hardware to start dumping SSDT's etc.

Here's a screenshot of my EFI folder so far. I think I'm on the right track :D

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 05.24.22.png

1 hour ago, char543 said:

Hey @BALDY_MAN, Thanks for the response!

I managed to get so far with the EFI folder but couldn't proceed because i need the actual hardware to start dumping SSDT's etc.

Here's a screenshot of my EFI folder so far. I think I'm on the right track :D

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 05.24.22.png

look at this link https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#starting-point.

6 hours ago, 1Ale1 said:

Use OpenCore 0.5.8 instead, also, take particularly care about ACPI 

Will do, Thanks! Wasn't aware there was a new version already.

Can i just copy over my accumulated drivers / kexts etc into the new version or have they been / must they be updated also?

What do you mean regarding ACPI? 

Thanks again :-) 

On 5/14/2020 at 9:02 AM, Fullyarm said:

Hey bud, Thanks alot for this.

I ended up downloading AudioGod's EFI folder for iMac 19,1.

After that just added some of the original drivers and kexts i had chosen (FAT / NTFS support etc)

Modded the config.plist to include the extra drivers + kexts. (+ remove russian language / set personal SN UUID etc, etc)

I Installed bios f12d as i have the Aorus Pro Z390, then i installed and saved the profile patch in AudioGod's guide to bios for MSR Unlock

It went through install without a hitch, and is now (after replacing internal efi folder) able to boot from Internal NVMe drive no probs :-)

I've logged into icloud etc and can send msgs through messages app, so i presume the iServices are all working / okay. :-)

I will test a little more soon regarding the iServices, Verify MSR Unlock and verify NVRAM is setup correctly / functioning.

Overall very happy with how that went!

I dont know if iGPU is working as it should? It shows up in system profiler under PCI but under Graphics / Displays only Vega 64 is listed. When i click on about this mac the Vega 64 is the only thing thats listed there too

Thanks again for all your help! Hopefully this can be of use to someone else with similar build.

Im now stuck trying to install windows 10 on another NVMe drive, without messing up the mac install on the first :D Its an intel 660p SSD and windows doesnt see the drive to install on :( i have tried putting both the actual driver for the intel nvme and the client driver onto a usb and looked to load them up from win 10 installer but it still doesnt work. I tried to disable SATA also but no joy there either.

Apart fron these couple of issues im trying to iron out, it already seems very stable, install was a breeze just like a real mac! wifi and bluetooth working OTB from fenvi hb-1200

heres a screenshot of the EFI I ended up going with

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 14.13.34.png

Edited by char543

Since opencore has been setup and installed i am unable to get windows to install, i have even tried removing the samsung ssd that mac is installed on and windows installer is still unable to find / install to the intel ssd. I have tried partitioning the drive in osx to FAT but still windows installer doesn't see the drive. It appears in BIOS under NVMe configuration, both were listed when they were both installed. I have tried to reload optimized defaults and still no joy.

I have no idea what this could be yet.

Is this something relating to open core? I'm not entirely sure now as i have reset the bios and removed the drive, though i could still boot to OpenCore somehow? perhaps CMOS / NVRAM?

Possibly just a simple BIOS setting?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again :-)

Edited by char543

Managed to fix it :-)

Not sure exactly what made it work but it was one of two things...

I normally use dd to make bootable usb's in terminal in mac / linux. The time it worked I had swapped to a VM running windows 7 and made a bootable usb via windows media creation tool (;or whatever they call it)

I had also been messing with diskpart in cmd (windows command line) and named partitoned the disk as NTFS and ran a clean etc.

Either way its up and running now and one of those 2 things, along with following everyones advice on removing all other drives except for windows one, resetting cmos and loading default bios settings / optimal defaults fixed it :D

I went through installation without an issue. When it had finished installing I reinstalled the pre patched msr unlocked bios profile for f12d on the AudioGod thread and its profile, then checked to see if I could boot MacOS / Windoze again and I can!

I now have 2 NVMe drives running windows and mac. I think the system at this point prefers to boot from windows if you dont touch it, though I havent tried to change anything yet as I'm just glad its working. If I were to select the samsung as boot drive, it would load OpenCore, and at the moment it has both windows and mac drives listed.. Unfortunately, windows is first in the list so if left untouched, it will try to boot a badly emulated windows in OpenCore with mac settings :D fun, but no good :-(. To boot to windows at the moment, I just leave it, to boot MacOS, I manually boot to opencore then have to quickly select the second drive in the list.

Just being pedantic at this point but I guess I'd like it to be a bit easier to do the boot switching process.. I thought I would be able to acheive this via opencore but I can appreciate if not and really not fussed. I need to make opencore a bit more pretty, or just remove the windows drive from the list or skip the whole list altogether and go straight to boot MacOS. Would be nice if i could set samsung as boot drive, load a pretty Opencore, and from opencore choose what to boot.

Im sure this is all possible, just getting there slowly along with setting everything up on the OS'es

Still unable to see sata drives in either windows or mac so am troubleshooting now, need that fixed to install linux, and have a global storage drive.....

Fitting the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 as well as the CoolerMaster ML240L into my tiiiiiny Aerocool Cylon case was lots of fun. I cannot believe it managed to squeeze in that space lol.

Huge thanks to everyone who has responded so far, took me a couple weeks of reading prior to getting my components delivered and i honestly havent ran into any issues, apart from not being able to see the windows drive for a while, but installation and running wise, This is the best most stable hack I've seen! Thanks :-)

I managed to solve the drives issue, it was because vega was in top slot on MB, which shares bandwith with the sata ports i had my drives plugged into.

Installed Linux on its own drive and partitioned shared storage space to be an exfat drive which is visible from other OS'es which is great :-)

everything has been perfect up until now. All 3 systems running nice and smooth.. the only thing i would like which i haven't done yet is to make opencore more pretty

As i said, Until now :-( gone to boot into macOS this morning and was met with a folder with a line through it / Prohibitied sign.

On osx this means it can't find boot drive or files.. where should i start to look for this problem  ?

Edited by char543

Awesome news. My windows had issues also.  It's because windows format was not GPT so either I had to Boot -> CSM Support -> Enable till I changed it to GPT and now it comes up on the opencore menu and CSM is disabled.