HackBook Lenovo IdeaPad S145 8th Gen CoofeeLake / Mojave / Catalina / Big Sur Full DSDT Patches

MaLd0n

42 posts in this topic

Good evening @MaLd0n from Europe, thank you for your reply.

Here is my untouched, just redumped (via Clover F4) DSDT.aml only.

Thanks for applying the patched. However, again, the Brightness Up/Down _Q11/_Q12 code patch may need to differ from your laptop/keyboard...

Also, are you aware of any hidden BIOS menu hack, like some found for other models? It appears we can unlock the MSR Ex02 (CFG Lock)...

Many thanks again!

P.S. Don't forget to fix your Clover config and replace the correct keys LANInjection and HDMIInjection...

Lenovo S145-14iWL (ASCN44WW) DSDT.aml

2 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

Thanks for applying the patched. However, again, the Brightness Up/Down _Q11/_Q12 code patch may need to differ from your laptop/keyboard...

is same

95% u can check with search, 0x86 entrie inside _qxx methods

thx, ill update today

Hi @MaLd0n thanks for the new shared folder!

The DSDT.aml you include, is it based on the one I shared for S145-14iWL from BIOS ver. ASCN44WW yes?

Because a) brightness keys do not work (as I was afraid) and b) memory modules do not show up

That's 2 quick issues. Interestingly if I press F11 the mouse (trackpad) stops :D So this means the codes in _Q11 and _Q12 do not match this S145 keyboard.

Also, do you have RAM on-board + SODIMM or just all in the SODIMM like mine, 8GB unit? Or a single 16GB SO-DIMM?

Obrigado

10 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

Hi @MaLd0n thanks for the new shared folder!

The DSDT.aml you include, is it based on the one I shared for S145-14iWL from BIOS ver. ASCN44WW yes?

Because a) brightness keys do not work (as I was afraid) and b) memory modules do not show up

That's 2 quick issues. Interestingly if I press F11 the mouse (trackpad) stops :D So this means the codes in _Q11 and _Q12 do not match this S145 keyboard.

Also, do you have RAM on-board + SODIMM or just all in the SODIMM like mine, 8GB unit? Or a single 16GB SO-DIMM?

Obrigado

yes, last bios version

ur method for brightness is same, i checked in ur dsdt above

memory use it https://github.com/Goldfish64/SystemProfilerMemoryFixup

yes, one onboard 4gb + one 8gb

• Like 2

Hi @MaLd0n thanks again for fixing my DSDT!

So I have some good news and crazy news. The good news is that there is no need for SystemProfilerMemoryFixup.kext (which I cannot compile, anyway, and it's not pre-built available) for showing the memory in System Profiler.

As I have no on-board RAM but only the slot (you are lucky...) I was able to fix this in Clover's config.plist by adding this section in SMBIOS at the bottom, between "manufacturer" and "mobile":

<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>Memory</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Channels</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>Modules</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Frequency</key>
					<integer>2666</integer>
					<key>Part</key>
					<string>HMA81GS6CJR8N-VK</string>
					<key>Serial</key>
					<string>Unknown</string>
					<key>Size</key>
					<integer>8192</integer>
					<key>Slot</key>
					<integer>0</integer>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>DDR4</string>
					<key>Vendor</key>
					<string>SKhynix</string>
				</dict>
			</array>
			<key>SlotCount</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Mobile</key>
		<true/>
		<key>NoRomInfo</key>
		<true/>

The crazy news refer to Brighness... So I recompiled the DSDT and added Rehabman's needed instrumentation patches (per his repo here) to use ACPIDebug.kext, then I rebooted with disabled CSR etc. launched the kext inTerminal (with root privileges) and started pressing F11 and F12.

Indeed, the kernel log output did mention _Q11 and _Q12 so on the Lenovo S145 the Brightness Down event/key is captured by _Q11 and Brightness Up event/key gos through _Q12.

However, the values 0x405 and 0x406 in Notify do not work. At some point, I thought it could be the BIOS that has the "Fn" enabled by default, so I disabled it. No results, the only thing I hear is a MacOS System sound (like "invalid" key press).

a) Do you use IntelBacklight.kext or ACPIBacklight.kext at all? They are not in your ZIP but I thought of asking...

b) Do you edit some Info.plist inside the Voodoo PS2 kext(s)?

c) Any idea or method/post/thread to suggest for me to try to finding the ACPI or PS2 correct key? This local thread doesn't provide any solutions and Rehabman has left the scene sometime ago, to help...

d) Very important: Do you get in Catalina's System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts any mention for Brightness? I looked in all the vertical list of key shortcuts, no brightness mentioned :(

Thanks

Edited by MacKonsti

1 hour ago, MacKonsti said:

Hi @MaLd0n thanks again for fixing my DSDT!

So I have some good news and crazy news. The good news is that there is no need for SystemProfilerMemoryFixup.kext (which I cannot compile, anyway, and it's not pre-built available) for showing the memory in System Profiler.

As I have no on-board RAM but only the slot (you are lucky...) I was able to fix this in Clover's config.plist by adding this section in SMBIOS at the bottom, between "manufacturer" and "mobile":

The crazy news refer to Brighness... So I recompiled the DSDT and added Rehabman's needed instrumentation patches (per his repo here) to use ACPIDebug.kext, then I rebooted with disabled CSR etc. launched the kext inTerminal (with root privileges) and started pressing F11 and F12.

Indeed, the kernel log output did mention _Q11 and _Q12 so on the Lenovo S145 the Brightness Down event/key is captured by _Q11 and Brightness Up event/key gos through _Q12.

However, the values 0x405 and 0x406 in Notify do not work. At some point, I thought it could be the BIOS that has the "Fn" enabled by default, so I disabled it. No results, the only thing I hear is a MacOS System sound (like "invalid" key press).

a) Do you use IntelBacklight.kext or ACPIBacklight.kext at all? They are not in your ZIP but I thought of asking...

b) Do you edit some Info.plist inside the Voodoo PS2 kext(s)?

c) Any idea or method/post/thread to suggest for me to try to finding the ACPI or PS2 correct key? This local thread doesn't provide any solutions and Rehabman has left the scene sometime ago, to help...

d) Very important: Do you get in Catalina's System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts any mention for Brightness? I looked in all the vertical list of key shortcuts, no brightness mentioned :(

Thanks

don't need use debug for it, in lenovo u can search dd1f or 0x86 inside _qxx methods for example

the values 0x405 and 0x406 is for voodoops2

brightness is provide now by Whatevergreen and simple PNLF, coffelake just use "Name (_UID, 0x13)"

kext compiled

SystemProfilerMemoryFixup.kext.zip

post ur full efi folder here, i'll check, remove ur serials

Good evening @MaLd0n I hope you are well and safe!

Apologies for the delay (due to being busy) but I have been thinking about this, and wanted your opinion.

I am sharing my EFI but I think that the problem lies in the VoodooPS2Controller.kext or plugin -- why?

a) We use the same BIOS, latest Clover, latest Catalina;

b) We use the same patched DSDT, and I confirmed the Brightness up/down events go through _Q11 and _Q12;

c) The Notify (PS2K, 0x0405) and Notify (PS2K, 0x0406) seem common in most laptops, even Lenovo, after my research;

d) The only difference? You have F13/F14 like a real Mac, for 14" models like mine, only F11/F12.

e) The other difference? I do not have the shortcuts for Brightness, shown in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts (that I get on my Mac at work!) Look in my image!

I believe that either the VoodooPS2Controller.kext binary needs fixing, or something must be fixed in the Info.plist of the VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext that defines keyboard keys! (it's the only one in the Plugins folder, too).

Any idea where to start from?

I bet that if you run my EFI folder from some USB boot-disk, your Brightness will work.

P.S. My ZIP file here doesn't contain WiFi or BTLE kexts as I am still waiting for the replacement BRCM card in the post...

I am including  a) preboot.log   b) re-dumped original ACPI tables   c) my DSDT too, where I did some efforts, as a secondary option. Please note that I am not using the NullEthernet kext from Rehabman (you won't find it in kexts/Other I mean, it's known).

Obrigado

UPDATE: Just tried also these values form this hack, no results (still hear the beep sound when pressing F11/F12 with or without Fn, I also tried Fn+S/B that you had mentioned...

https://github.com/jsassu20/OpenCore-HotPatching-Guide/blob/master/17-Brightness Shortcut Patch/SSDT-BKeyQ11Q12-LenovoAir.dsl

S145-14iWL EFI 4MB https://we.tl/t-7wt0v0NuqA (valid 1 week)

No Brightness Shortcuts.png

Edited by MacKonsti

23 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

Good evening @MaLd0n I hope you are well and safe!

Thx! Same!

The bios is same

DSDT.MacKonsti.zip

i updated folder with some improvements in first post some days ago

just delete ur efi folder and paste new, dont need install clover

rebuild cache

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 11:42 PM, MaLd0n said:

i updated folder with some improvements in first post some days ago

just delete ur efi folder and paste new, dont need install clover

rebuild cache

Hi @MaLd0n thank you again for your update and help. It does not work... Brightness cannot change.

There is something wrong perhaps from a) my AZERTY keyboard or b) the VoodooPS2Keyboard kext, as I confirmed that _Q11 and _Q12 are used.

I managed to build and use ioio from Rehabman and I saw that the F11/F12 keys do not send PS2 or ADB code; only when pressed with Fn, then I get a code...

I am writing you a PM, please check when you have time... Obrigado

• Like 1

Hi @MaLd0n how are you?

You will not believe it... After searching for days, eventually I decided to find a way to reset the Keyboard Shortcuts.

So according to the solution proposed in this article, I deleted file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist and rebooted.

Guess what... the F11/F12 keys worked with the Notify 0x0405 and 0x0406 values... I am banging my head on the wall !

So free lesson learned, that you can use: If problems with keyboard shortcuts = delete file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist and reboot!

Thank you for your patience and help all this time.

I suspect the keyboard shortcuts were never created inside the .plist as I had booted without PNLF etc. originally, that was before using your DSDT... However, in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, I still do NOT see "Brightness" anywhere but it works.

Please, if you have time, kindly check my PM that regards the overall DSDT patching :D

Obrigado!

P.S. By the way, despite your solution to fix trackpad polling works great (as I saw over at Olarila) did you try this alternate solution proposed here, please? https://voodooi2c.github.io/#GPIO Pinning/GPIO Pinning

I would be very interested to get your opinion!

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

@MaLdOn. Thanks for this guide.

System: Lenovo S145-14IIL- Lastest Bios. I5 8GB memory. 

I have a problem using the clover boot installer on usb.

I stops every time on start of the boot with errors on GV.

First GV boot signature error. After that an error on GV persistent-memory-note.

It happens with the USB files from the installation guide linked here and with the EFI files in this guide when I copy them to the EFI folder.

Any idea ? 

Thanks.

20200831_114239.jpg