Catalina on Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia Graphics) With Working Sleep

deeveedee

306 posts in this topic

*** I am no longer maintaining this thread for macOS Catalina.  My latest work on this Dell Latitude E6410 (with Nvidia graphics) is posted here. ***

This thread for installing Catalina on the Dell Latitude E6410 WITH NVIDIA GRAPHICS (BIOS A17, NVidia 3100m) will help you install a fresh installation of Catalina on your Dell Latitude E6410, it will help you upgrade from 10.15.2 to 10.15.x (if you originally installed Catalina from this thread) and it will also help you upgrade from Mojave 10.14.6 if you have already installed Mojave by following the instructions .  The instructions in this first post assume that you are installing Catalina in an APFS container.  If you are curious about the evolution of this solution and how sleep/wake was solved, review the Mojave installation thread.

Important: This Thread is NOT intended to help you install macOS on a Latitude E6410 with Intel HD Graphics (without Nvidia graphics).  The DSDT attached to this first post (in E6410-Catalina.zip) is VERY SPECIFIC to the Nvidia graphics implementation and has not been edited for HD Graphics - there are elements required for HD Graphics that are missing from the attached DSDT and there are DSDT mods that have not been tested with HD Graphics.  Also, the kexts attached to this first post are specific to a Broadcom Wi-Fi card which must replace the original Intel Wi-Fi card.

This first post will be modified to reflect lessons learned and to reflect the most current working state of my Latitude E6410 (with NVidia 3100m discrete graphics) running Catalina.  Issues, observations and performance tips are recorded toward the bottom of this first post.  My recommended CLOVER configuration is specified toward the bottom of this first post.

*** If you want help with your installation, please post your issue along with problem reporting files generated using @black.dragon74's problem reporting tool.  Google 'GENERATE PROPER PROBLEM REPORTING FILES black.dragon74' to find it. ***.  If Catalina's Read-Only protections block your installation of black.dragon74's gen_debug script, please copy the attached gen_debug script to your Desktop, change script properties with the terminal command 'chmod a+x ~/Desktop/gen_debug' and run the script from your Desktop.

My system is as follows:

• Dell Latitude E6410 (I7-620m, Nvidia 3100M, 8GB DDR3, 512GB SSD, 1440x900 display, BIOS: A17)
  • Wi-Fi: Broadcom BCM 94352HMB (replaced original Wi-Fi card)
  • BIOS (version A17) configured as follows (leave default unless listed here): Boot Sequence: USB, Internal HDD, CD/DVD, Modular Bay HDD; Boot List Option: Legacy; Integrated NIC:Enabled; Parallel Port: Disabled; Serial Port: Disabled; SATA Operation: AHCI; Misc Devices: Enable Modular Bay, Camera, External USB, Microphone, Media Card and 1394; Latitude ON Reader: Disabled; Keyboard Illumination: Auto ALS and Input; Ambient Light Sensor: Enabled; OROM Keyboard Access: Disable; TPM Security: Disable; Computrace:Deactivate; CPU XD Support: Enable; Performance: Enable all options; Power Management: Disable Wake on AC, Disable Wake on LAN/WAN, Express Charge: Standard, Charge Behavior: Enabled; Keypad: Fn Key Only; Mouse/Touchpad: Touchpad/PS-2 Mouse; USB Emulation: Enable Legacy; Fn Key Emulation: Disabled; Fastboot: Thorough; Virtualization: Enable Intel Virtualization, Disable VT for Direct I/O, Disable Trusted Execution; Wireless Switch: Bluetooth and WLAN; Wireless Device Enable: Bluetooth and WLAN; 

Versions of the software used in this installation are listed below the installation steps.  EFI and kexts for Catalina are attached to this first post in E6410-Catalina.zip.  CLOVER configuration is specified below the installation steps.  You MUST BE LOGGED-IN to download attachments from this forum.

Wi-Fi connection to an Access Point is delayed when using AppleALC for sound.  Do not use Apple ALC.  Use VoodooHDA pkg 2.9.2 v15 for sound.

Steps to install Catalina on a Dell Latitude E6410 (BIOS A17, NVidia 3100m)

If you want to apply the 10.15.7.03 supplemental update, see instructions at this post.

If you want to upgrade to 10.15.7, see instructions at this post.

If you want to upgrade to 10.15.6, see instructions at this post.

If you want to upgrade to 10.15.5, see instructions at this post.

If you want to upgrade to 10.15.4, see instructions at this post.  

Follow instructions below for 10.15.2 and 10.15.3.

1. Make sure that your system matches my system description above (including BIOS version, Wi-Fi card, BIOS settings)
  2. If performing an upgrade from Mojave or a previous version of Catalina, backup your Mojave or Catalina partition! (Carbon Copy or similar)
  3. Download Catalina Installer
  4. Download DosDude Catalina Patcher
  5. Use DosDude Patcher to create Catalina USB Installer
  6. Delete LegacyUSBInjector.kext (we're using @RehabMan's USBInjectAll.kext with custom SSDT) and delete SIPManager.kext (CLOVER is managing SIP) from Catalina USB Installer's /Library/Extensions folder
  7. Copy all but the FakeSMC sensor kexts in E6410-Catalina.zip (attached) LE folder to the Catalina USB Installer /Library/Extensions (copy all kexts (including FakeSMC.kext) but not the FakeSMC sensor kexts)
  8. Install CLOVER Bootloader (Legacy) on USB Installer using the EFI in the E6410-Catalina.zip (attached).  Use the CLOVER configuration specified below.  Be sure to replace the XX-MASKED-XX parameters in the attached config.plist with your own values.
  9. Reset your Latitude E6410 NVRAM by doing the following (this may be important if you're making changes to your existing EFI and won't hurt anything if you're not making any changes)
    1. turn-off your laptop
    2. remove A/C power and main battery
    3. press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
    4. restore A/C power and battery
  10. Boot your Latitude E6410 from the Catalina USB Installer that you created in steps 5-8.
  11. Select "Reinstall macOS" (note that I have existing installations of Mojave and High Sierra on my Latitude E6410, so it's possible that this menu item changes to "Install macOS" if you don't have any previous macOS installations).
  12. Select your Catalina destination partition (which will be your Mojave or previous Catalina partition if you are upgrading)
  13. After the Catalina Installer reboots the first time, boot from the "macOS Installer" partition on the disk that you selected as your Catalina destination (not the macOS installer on the USB)
  14. After the Catalina Installer reboots the second time, boot the Catalina macOS Installer on the USB
  15. Select the Post Install Patcher utility
  16. Select only the following Post Install Patches (no other patches / options)
    • Install Patch Updater
    • Legacy Video
  17. After the Post Install Patcher reboots,  boot from the newly installed (or upgraded) Catalina partition and complete the macOS configuration
  18. Remove these kexts (if they exist) from /Library/Extensions: LegacyUSBInjector.kext, LegacyUSBVideoSupport.kext and SIPManager.kext
  19. If you are performing a fresh installation of Catalina:
    • Install CLOVER (LEGACY - NOT UEFI) on your boot disk and configure EFI using files in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip.  Use the CLOVER configuration below.  Be sure to replace the XX-MASKED-XX parameters in the attached config.plist with your own values.
    • Install all kexts in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip LE folder to your /Library/Extensions folder.
    • Copy HWMonitor from the application folder in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip to your Applications folder.
    • Install VoodooHDA (I installed using the Classic method)
    • Skip to Step 21
  20. If you are upgrading from a previous version of Catalina using the instructions from this thread or from Mojave that you installed using the instructions here:
    • Replace 3rd-party kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other with those in the attached EFI folder.  
    • Replace EFI/Clover config.plist with the attached config.plist (Be sure to replace the XX-MASKED-XX parameters in the attached config.plist with your own values)
    • Replace EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched with the files in the attached EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched
    • Replace 3rd-party kexts in /Library/Extensions with those in the attached LE folder
    • Remove VoodooSDHC.kext from /Library/Extensions
    • Re-install VoodooHDA if necessary (I installed using the Classic method for Catalina)
  21. Ensure PROPER kext installation: If you're manually installing kexts in /Library/Extensions, make sure that you execute the following (in terminal)
    • cd /Library/Extensions
    • sudo chown -R root:wheel *.kext
    • sudo chmod -R 755 *.kext
    • sudo kextcache -i /
    • After you execute 'sudo kextcache -i /' you should observe that ALL kexts are allowed.  If not, your kext directory attributes are probably incorrect.  Repeat kext installation and try again.
  22. Reboot from your new/upgraded Catalina partition
  23. Welcome to macOS Catalina!
  24. Change the keyboard type to ISO (System Preferences > Keyboard > Change Keyboard Type)
  25. Swap the Command and Option keys (System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys)
  26. Set hibernatemode: In terminal, execute
    • sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    • sudo rm -f /var/vm/sleepimage
    • sudo touch /var/vm/sleepimage
    • sudo chflags schg /var/vm/sleepimage

Version Info at the time of this writing:

• Catalina Installer 10.15.7
  • CLOVER r5119
  • DosDude Catalina Patcher: v1.4.4
  • Lilu.kext 1.4.7 (not yet included in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip archive.  Get latest version here)
  • AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.0.9 (not yet included in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip archive.  Get latest version here)
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext 2.5.4 (not yet included in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip archive.  Get latest version here)
  • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext 2.5.4 (not yet included in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip archive.  Get latest version here)
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext 2.5.4 (not yet included in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip archive.  Get latest version here)
  • IntelMausi.kext 1.0.3 (Not IntelMausiEthernet.kext)

• EFICheckDisabler.kext 0.5

• VoodooHDA.kext 2.9.2 v15 (NOT AppleALC)

What is not working (that was working in Mojave)

• SD Card Slot (had to remove VoodooSDHC.kext which caused system freeze on wake)

Known Issues and Their Solutions

• (Not yet included in E6410-Catalina.zip archive attached to Post #1) There are new versions of acidanthera kexts as described here.  I hadn't noticed any issues with the older kexts, so the kexts are not yet included in the E6410-Catalin.zip archive attached to this first post and will be included in a future update to the E6410-Catalina.zip archive.
  • (Solved - no further work required) Clover r5118 requires the config.plist key <key>NoDefaultProperties</key><false> to permit macOS to boot with Clover's "Inject Nvidia" = True.  See details here.  config.plist in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip archive includes this change.
  • (Solved - no further work required) EFICheck is loaded.  Solution is to install EFICheckDisabler.kext which you can get here.  EFICheck.kext is included in the attached E6410-Catalina.zip archive.
  • (Solved - no further work required) Some users experience display issues.  The solution is to remove Device (PNLF) from the DSDT.  Use the attached DSDT.  Removal of PNLF will disable sleep on lid closure.  Device (PNLF) can be added without modifying the DSDT by enabling the Clover PNLF ACPI patch.  The attached Clover config.plist enables the PNLF DSDT patch.  Disable the Clover PNLF patch if you experience display issues.
  • (Solved - no further work required) USB sleep/wake power IORegistry keys are not injected (not included in Mojave's or Catalina's IOUSBHostFamily.kext).  Solution is to added SSDT-USBX.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.  The attached SSDT-USBX.aml includes USB sleep/wake properties for MacBookPro6,2 from High Sierra 10.13.6 IOUSBHostFamily.kext.
  • (No solution yet) Brightness slider does not work in System Preferences > Displays.  Brightness is easily controlled with Dell brightness keys.  There is some work on this later in this thread, but I will not be solving this as I'm content with the Dell brightness keys (and Ambient Light Sensor works to auto-adjust brightness).
  • (No intention to solve) Display Settings in System Preferences are "garbled" when bright slider is visible.  This is a known issue with the legacy graphics patch and does not affect laptop operation.
  • I continue to refine the DSDT and CLOVER config.plist to optimize my Latitude E6410 for multi-booting between various macOS versions (High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina at the time of this writing). If you upgrade your Latitude E6410 EFI using my attached EFI, you may find that your Latitude E6410 is stuck in a boot-loop that ends in a white screen and reboots.  Clear your system by doing the following: turn off your laptop, remove A/C power, remove the main battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, restore A/C power and battery, boot normally.  I have only found this to be necessary (very rarely) after making an EFI change, but you may find it helpful if making kext changes in /Library/Extensions as well.
  • (Solved - no further work required) Brcm firmware does not update when using BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext in /Library/Extensions.  Solution is to install BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3.kext in E/C/k/O with Clover "Inject Kexts" = YES.
  • (Solved - no further work required) Laptop does not sleep when closing lid.  Solution appears to be a combination of adding Notify (LID0) code to Method (BTNV) and adding Device (PNLF) in the DSDT. I am using the same EFI for High Sierra 10.13.6, Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15.3 and it works in all three macOSes.
  • (No solution yet) No SD Card Slot (had to remove VoodooSDHC.kext) - I read somewhere that there is a solution that does not require any kexts (just a DSDT edit).  Haven't yet implemented this fix.
  • (Not a problem that needs to be solved - leaving for historical purposes.  I am running Catalina without this.) - IOHWControl does not load under GFX0 (as observed in IORegistryExplorer).  Solution (if it needs to be solved) is to install AppleHWSensor.kext from a DosDude-patched Mojave /S/L/E in Catalina's /L/E.  Copy and install your own or use the kext attached to this post.
  • (Solved - no further work required) Wi-Fi connection is delayed until a minute or so after boot - Use VoodooHDA and NOT AppleALC
  • (Solved - no further work required) External USB ports do not work after waking from sleep (S3) - Upgrade Lilu.kext and replace BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (in /L/E) with latest BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3.kext.
  • (Solved - no further work required) Boot and shut-down time of Catalina is slower than Mojave - Upgrade Lilu.kext and replace BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (in /L/E) with latest BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3.kext.
  • (Solved - no further work required) Wi-Fi is not immediately available at OS startup - Upgrade Lilu.kext and replace BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (in /L/E) with latest BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3.kext.
  • (Solved - no further work required) Laptop freezes on wake - Remove VoodooSDHC.kext from /Library/Extensions

Tips for Improved Performance (on this and other older systems)

• System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results: Uncheck all options
  • System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy: Add all Volumes
  • System Preferences > Accessibility > Display: Check "Reduce motion"
  • System Preferences > Accessibility > Display: Check "Reduce transparency"

Other tips

• If your fan is always running and temps are good, try pressing Fn + z (I haven't noticed this issue for a while since I completed DSDT edits for Mojave, but keeping this here for historical purposes)

CLOVER Installation: Use these configuration options (These configuration options configure Clover for LEGACY BIOS - NOT UEFI)

• Install Clover in the ESP
  • Boot Sectors
    • Install boot0af in MBR
  • Clover for BIOS (LEGACY - NOT UEFI) booting
    • Clover EFI 64-bits SATA
  • BIOS Drivers, 64-bit
    • Recommended drivers
      • FSInject
    • File System drivers
      • ApfsDriverLoader
  • Install RC scripts on target volume
  • Themes
    • Choose your desired theme
  • Install Clover Preference Pane
  • After clicking "Continue", if prompted with "This Clover package is incompatible with this version of macOS," install anyway

• After CLOVER installation is complete
    • Copy the following from the attached E6410-Catalina.zip
      • ACPI patched contents
      • config.plist (change XX-MASKED-XX values to your own)
      • kexts/Other (remove all other kext folders)
    • Remove christmas and new year folders from themes (if present)

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 11.16.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 6.53.51 AM.png

Credits

Thanks to those who contributed to my Mojave solution and to the DosDude team (for the incredible macOS patchers), I think this Catalina installation was the easiest macOS installation that I have experienced (so far).  Many thanks to @Slice and his team for the incredible work on CLOVER and for continuing to support old legacy systems like this.  Also, thanks to @Mieze and @headkaze and others I'm sure for maintaining the Brcm kexts.  And finally, I still prefer to manually apply patches to the DSDTs in my systems.  CLOVER offers extensive patching functionality, but I'm old-school and like to have an error-free, fully-patched DSDT with a simple CLOVER config.plist.  I think that this manual DSDT patching approach (which required an extensive review and debugging of the original unpatched DSDT in this thread) is the reason that this Latitude E6410 is such a perfect MacBookPro6,2.  Thank you @RehabMan for being a great teacher and for always insisting on problem reporting files :).

AppleHWSensor.kext.zip

gen_debug

E6410 Catalina-5v2.zip

Edited by deeveedee
Added note about broken links; fixed broken links in this first post
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

You'll have to search and try.  My macOS installations are all in APFS containers.  My Catalina upgrade worked on the first try following the steps in the first post of this thread.  The upgrade proceeded without any issues.  So far, this upgrade seems to have been uneventful and painless.

EDIT: After brief testing, I've noticed a couple of issues that I started documenting at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

Slow boot and slow Wi-Fi acquisition are resolved by updating to latest Lilu.kext, BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, BrcmPathRAM3.kext.  With these updates, system boots fast and Wi-Fi acquisition is immediate.

Edit: an added bonus - shutdown is also fast with these updates.

Edit 2: External USB ports are now available after sleep with updated Lilu and Brcm kexts.

Edit 3: I needed to remove VoodooSDHC.kext from /Library/Extensions, since it was causing Catalina to freeze upon wake.  I can live without the SD Card slot and welcome any SD Card solutions that work with Catalina.

Edited by tonyx86

With the exception of the SD Card slot (which no longer works after having to remove VoodooSDHC.kext), it appears to me that the Latitude E6410 (NVidia 3100m) runs better with Catalina than it did with Mojave.  This laptop is a perfect macOS platform!

I agree. My attempts to install Catalina on Dell devices were all less painful and faster than with the Mojave version.
My only concern was that minor updates and bug fixes would come out.

Also, I would prefer to continue using HFS +, but I have rethought and accepted the challenge of finally using APFS Containers.

Great. Did you test to boot with vga monitor connected or it was connected after boot? In my Sierra E6410 I got KP with it and only can use VGA after login process stops.  

Only to check, I am installing Catalina within these days and though about plug a second monitor with VGA. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, vbmota said:

Great. Did you test to boot with vga monitor connected or it was connected after boot? In my Sierra E6410 I got KP with it and only can use VGA after login process stops.  

I'm booting High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina with the VGA monitor connected (all 3 OSes work fine).  If I boot without the VGA monitor connected, the monitor is not detected if it is connected after booting.  I have no KP issues, but I don't run Sierra.  If you're using NVidia Web Drivers in Sierra, try uninstalling the Web Drivers.

My graphics configurations for each OS are as follows (my laptop boots all of these OSes using same config.plist (attached to first post of this thread) and same kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other (attached to first post of this thread):

• High Sierra: using native High Sierra Drivers - no web drivers
  • Mojave: DosDude Mojave patcher 1.3.3 (I believe there was a DosDude legacy video update that I applied after installing with patcher 1.3.3)
  • Catalina: DosDude Catalina patcher 1.3.0
Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

I upgraded to Clover v2.5k r5101 and added Clover install instructions at the bottom of the first post in this thread.  The Clover options that I select may be different from what you've seen in other EFI folders (for example, I select only two BIOS drivers and no UEFI drivers for my Clover installation).

Note that I am using the same EFI for triple-booting High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina.

Edited by tonyx86

About my laptop, configuration when bought:

• i3-370M; 3GB RAM; 250GB 7k; dead battery; 65w Power Supply

upgrades I've done so far:

• 90w Power Supply; 500GB (seccond HDD with caddy); 8GB (2x4GB) RAM; Fingerprint Sensor :frantics:; i5-540M; CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker (11W/m.K)

I'm very pleased with the current configuration - using Windows 10 - I got a fast and almost no-bottleneck system (installing SSD, WiFi A/C + BT4 or 5 card and i7-620m/i7-640m CPU are the missing "pampering" so of course, when I get a nVidia GPU board, I will certainly use a 45w or 55w i7 (whichever is best). I also want to install a PCIExpress54 card with 3x USB3.0 and a backlit keiboard.

I did not intend to try to install MacOS until I changed the board with GPU nVidia, but I saw a video today and was instigated, researched and saw it running on an i7 with Intel graphics, this prompted me to try ...

I am studying and tomorrow I will start my attempts, I will try to make it work on my integrated i5 GPU (which is the same as the i7-620m).

I have doubts about catalina running on this Intel 1st IGPU, maybe with DSDT, SSDT ...

@imasov If you're saying what I think you're saying, I admire your courage.  Everything you read will show you that no one has succeeded in getting Intel 1st Gen graphics working with acceleration on the Dell Latitude E6410.  That didn't stop me either when I got sleep working on the E6410 for Mojave (and now Catalina).  Since this thread is dedicated to the E6410 with Nvidia discrete graphics, please feel free to start a separate thread for your 1st Gen Intel experiment and post your link here.  I firmly believe that people who do the impossible didn't know it was impossible.

If you do install a 45w quad core CPU in your E6410, could you post your Geekbench 4 score?  Good luck!

Some notes from my experience. Partly to add to this post and partly related to an E6410 with Intel graphics.

Dell E6410 i5 M560 with Intel Graphics.

Some of the information in the steps above is a bit light on in detail, perhaps because I was unable to find any posts to fill in the blanks.

Downloads section: (add)

Download clover installer (currently Clover_v2.5k_r5101.pkg).

Download Clover Configurator (not strictly necessary, but handy for modifying config.plist).

Install Clover section:

Not really clear what steps to follow within this section. Perhaps there is a post elsewhere, but I couldn't readily find it. Found a different guide, noted below, which helped.

Install clover bootloader legacy:

Follow guide “[Guide] How to Boot macOS Installer on Laptops using Clover (UEFI/Legacy)“ from elitemacx86. Assume this is correct. Not really clear either. Main issues are which options to choose in the Installer.

Copy the files in the EFI folder from E6410-Catalina.zip into the EFI folder on the USB. Go through each level of folders and copy the files from the .zip to their corresponding folders on the USB. Assume this is correct. Again not really clear. Perhaps someone could fill in the details for this step or post a link which does.

For each of the boots from “Boot your Latitude E6410 from the Catalina USB Installer” TO “After the Post Install Patcher reboots,  boot from the newly installed (or upgraded) Catalina disk and complete the macOS configuration”:

You boot from the USB drive (which goes into Clover) and select the appropriate partition to start from, either on the USB (external) or the hard drive (internal). The USB loads the boot loader which is required until you are able to boot from your hard drive with the clover boot loader installed on it much later in the process. This is why the boot order is set to USB initially.

After post install patcher there are issues, basically the installer screens can’t be seen. This is due to AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext in System/Library/Extensions on the Catalina hard disk according to “[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics”.

I went back and reformatted the volume to MacOS Extended Journaled, and reinstalled Catalina on it. Once after the post install patcher, I was able to remove the disk and mount it on a Sierra system and remove these kexts from System/Library/Extensions, reinstalled it in the E6410 and rebooted allowing me to complete Catalina OS configuration and first logon. 

If you have an APFS capable OS then you wouldn’t need to reformat. I didn’t hence the reformat to OSE(J). Interestingly the Catalina drive now says it is APFS under GUID and shows containers. Certainly Sierra can’t read APFS so how this happened I don’t know.

I'm guessing there is some other way to remove these. Quite possibly using Terminal, but it showed up as a READ-ONLY file system. No idea why.

Again installing Clover on the Catalina disk was an issue as the options to use are not really clear, and different from the USB install. I didn’t have “Install Clover in the ESP” selected (as that was not checked on startup) and that failed the install, checking this and removing the UEFI drivers adding boot0af and similar options to the first install, although I can’t remember them and what they were, managed to install. Then it was not clear about copying the contents of the EFI and LE folders to the EFI partition and the system volume. I did so to both, as well as config.plist to both EFI volume and system volume. Perhaps there is a guide somewhere on this, again I didn't find it.

I didn’t install the VoodooHDA as I thought I had read it didn’t work. Now I can’t find that reference, so some more research on that to see if it works. There is currently no sound, so it is probably needed.

I turned off sleep, and I also noticed the screen saver control panel didn’t work (although desktop did). Now that I try it again, it seems to have worked and I was able to choose a screensaver and it works.

Whether the Intel HD graphics acceleration actually works is another matter, but I can at least use Catalina on the E6410. The display is normal, and appears to work normally.

I’m guessing the WiFi doesn’t work as it has the Intel WiFi. Have yet to investigate that matter.

The config.plist is different to the Nvidia one described here, and I have attached it.

config.plist

@g_unt Thank you for pointing out the fact that I was not clear about this being a thread for the Dell Latitude E6410 WITH NVIDIA GRAPHICS.  I have modified the first post in this thread to make that clear.  Installation with HD Graphics is completely different from the steps described in this thread which necessitates a different thread.  The steps I list in the first post will not help you to install on a Latitude E6410 without Nvidia graphics.  Please start a new thread if you intend to work on an HD Graphics solution and feel free to post your link to that thread here.  

Not only are the steps in Post #1 incorrect/incomplete for the HD Graphics implementation, but the DSDT that I have attached to post #1 is VERY SPECIFIC to the Nvidia Graphics solution and elements required for Intel Graphics are not present in the DSDT.  Methods in the DSDT have been modified from the original DSDT to incorporate functions needed for Nvidia graphics.  I have no idea what these DSDT mods do to a system with only HD Graphics.

Thank you.

Edited by tonyx86

I upgraded to CLOVER v2.5k r5102 (from r5101) and briefly tested High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina.  The Latitude E6410 seems to be running perfectly when booting all three of these macOS versions with the EFI attached to post #1 in this thread.  This will be my baseline until the production version of Catalina 10.15.3 is released.  This old laptop is impressive. 

I suggest you to use a Virtual Machine with OSX installed and proceed dosdude1 Patching dmg file.

It will only run in a macOS system.

Search for vmware or virtualbox OSX images, download, run and good luck.

@tonyx86 I saw that you also changed your wifi card for one made for mac, correct? how did you turn on the antennas? My Broadcom is inherited from a Macbook Air and has very small connectors and in fact left it badly adapted. Oh, I'm happy to say that I bought a battery for this notebook to live even longer. Cheers

Congrats on the new battery.  Hopefully we keep the E6410 alive for much longer.  

I purchased the Broadcom BCM 94352HMB which is NOT specific to Mac - it is a Windows PC laptop card.  Google it and you'll probably find it on Ebay or an Amazon seller.

Attached is an updated DSDT for the Latitude E6410.  This new DSDT names the FRWR (Firewire) device (purely cosmetic).  I'm not going to add this to Post #1 (yet) until I need to change my baseline (possibly for a future version macOS).

Also, I had read somewhere that it was sufficient to add only the "compatible" property to _DSM for IOName matching and that the addition of the "name" property is not necessary if "compatible" is used.  I noticed that without the "name" property in LPCB._DSM, com_apple_driver_eficheck matches IOName "3b07" instead of "3b09."  I don't think this matters other than to show that macOS driver discovery does behave differently (at least in one case) if the "name" property is eliminated and only the "compatible" property is specified.  You'll note that my DSDT specifies both the "name" and "compatible" properties in some Device _DSMs - I'll be leaving it this way after discovering this one difference.

E6410 DSDT - Add FRWR.zip