Catatalina Beta 10.15 - Anyone got it booting yet?

52 posts in this topic

So...

Here we go again with a new version of macOS and so far I haven't been able to get it booted in VMware Workstation, just curious if anyone else has either. Same old instructions to create a working bootable ISO function (same as Mojave but change the name of the installer app obviously). It won't boot past the Apple logo, can't boot into safe mode, or recovery either. Made several attempts so far to upgrade a clean Mojave VM using the Catalina installer app, still no joy on the reboot, it just hangs on the Apple logo with zero activity (no hard drive, network, nothing at all).

Of course Apple has made some changes, so now begins the troubleshooting and scoping out what's changed and how to work around it and get this thing up and running for some mucking around.

I suppose this would be a good thread to discuss all this in so, we'll see what happens. ;)

• Thanks 1

Hm, here is working method to install Catalina in unlocked VMware Workstation:

First, you need working virtual machine with previous version of macOS. I used 10.13.6. Install macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg. Then download Catalina installer from AppStore, then run it. After preparing computer will be rebooted. And can't booted, you will see only apple logo, no disk activity, no processor activity. It's kernel panic. Just shutdown virtual machine, change type to Windows 10 x64 and start it again. Installation will continue. After next reboot virtual machine can not boot. Ok, shutdown it, change it type to macOS 10.14 back and start machine again. Installation will continue. That's all.

So I gave several attempts to this process as explained above by serezha and had no luck, even when I alter the machine type to Windows 10 x64 there's no activity once that kernel panic happens, no way apparently to get past it. I suppose we'll figure it out at some point, ain't in that much of a major hurry to get it working.

VMware will likely need to fix something or it's an issue with the beta. I wouldn't expect proper support until Catalina is released which is usually when VMware release a new version of Fusion/Workstation. September timeframe.

• Thanks 1

I managed to get Catalina 10.15 DP2/Public Beta1 working in VMware Workstation 12 on a Windows 7 host ...

macOS_catalina_apfs_orig.thumb.png.828926b673da034d91171388cfdfb90e.png

Link to procedure with ISO installer here (can clean install or upgrade over the top of your existing VM).  No need to use an unknown third party vmdk image from the internet - use the vanilla Apple Installer app to create the Installer ISO.

@Naki & all others stuck after first reboot upgrading to Catalina 10.15 Final Release_19A583 from an earlier version of macOS: Try the procedure below...

1.  If you have another OSX virtual machine eg High Sierra or Mojave, temporarily attach the vmdk undergoing the upgrade process to it as a secondary drive (so now have 2 disks attached to this VM - High Sierra or Mojave.vmdk, and the stalled Catalina.vmdk disk.  Don't detach the original High Sierra/Mojave drive)

2.  Boot to this "rescue" VM (boot into High Sierra or Mojave) and download

For DP5 copyprelinkedkernel_19A526h.zip

For DP6 copyprelinkedkernel_19A536g.zip

For DP7 copyprelinkedkernel_19A546d.zip

For DP8 copyprelinkedkernel_19A558d.zip

For DP9 copyprelinkedkernel_19A573a.zip

For Final Release copyprelinkedkernel_19A602.zip

3.  Next, run the "ShowAllFiles.app" to show the hidden "Locked Files" folder.  Note it is located inside the /macOS Install Data folder (on the "--Data" volume if upgrading from an earlier Catalina build eg DP1 to DP2)

4.  Next, we need to take ownership of the "Locked Files" folder.  Right click the "Locked Files" folder, click "Get Info", click the arrow next to Sharing & Permissions, click the lock icon and provide your admin password, click the plus button to add yourself to the list of owners and then select "Read & Write" to have custom read/write access privilege

5.  Run the copyprelinkedkernel script from terminal (the contents of the above zip file should first be extracted into your ~/Downloads folder) and confirm the Catalina volume as the target when it prompts you...

cd ~/Downloads/copyprelinkedkernel
./copyprelinkedkernel

If the script fails to find the target volume with the "macOS Install Data" folder, terminate it by pressing the <Ctrl> and <C> keys on your keyboard simultaneously.  Manually copy the provided prelinkedkernel to /macOS Install Data/Locked Files/Boot Files folder with Finder as described in the following post...

6.  Shutdown the "rescue" VM.  Restart the original VM undergoing the upgrade process and it should now complete :).

Explanation

Spoiler

VMware 15 presently cannot boot the native prelinkedkernel found in macOS Catalina's BaseSystem/installation media without panicking.  Temporarily changing the guest OS type from macOS to Windows 10 X64 can bypass this panic and enable the second installation phase to complete.  Paradoxically, once the prelinkedkernel is rebuilt on a completed installation (at the end of the install process), the VM is able to boot with guest setting back to macOS!  My script replaces the Target Partition/macOS Install Data/Locked Files/Boot Files/prelinkedkernel with the plk from a completed install.

Update

VMware Workstation 15.5.0 build-14665864 now has built in Catalina Support, patched with modified unlocker from this post.  Awaiting @Donk for official update to v3.0.2.

Edited by fusion71au
VMware Workstation 15.5.0 build-14665864 now officially supports macOS Catalina
  • Thanks 1

Just updated another virtual machine to Catalina without any problems. I am use unlocked Vmware workstation 15.1 on windows 7 x64 host. I started update with 10.13.6, virtual hardware version 15, guest OS type is macOS 10.13. First I removed vmware tools. It is only precausion, but vmware tools may contain incompatible kexts. I installed beta profile, then downloaded Catalina installer from AppStore. The I started installation. After first reboot was kernel panic (apple logo without any disk and processor activity). I shutdowned virtual machine, change it type to Windows 10 x64 and started it again. Installation was continued automatically. After next reboot virtual machine can not boot, I saw boot manager from EFI. I shutdowned it, changed type to macOS 10.14 and started it again. Installation was continued and finished without any problems.

You do not need boot partition or clover. You need vmware 15 (or may be 14) to boot up from APFS partition.

If you have any problems with first reboot: use compatible host hardware (intel's ivy bridge and higher), use vmware workstation 15, use virtual hardware version 15, try to upgrade from high sierra (I do not tried to upgrade from Mojave, may not works), try to uninstall vmware tools before upgrade.

17 hours ago, fusion71au said:

I can’t install ver 15 on my desktop GA-P55aUD3/i5-750

Is Catalina work good with first generation of Core i processors? Is Ivy Bridge only marketing restriction or support of old processors will be dropped in next betas?

Did you try monitor.allowLegacyCPU = "true" option for VMware 14/15? Vmware workstation 14/15 only need EPT, all core i processors have EPT support. Unrestricted guest is optional requirement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally had the time to try macOS Catalina Beta these last few days. :) (Could not do it before due to other more important tasks & also going on sea vacation for 1 week. One task was get the iOS 13 Simulator working, via Xcode Beta)

I am using Windows 10 64-bit Pro, version 1903 as Host OS. CPU on that PC is Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge with 4 cores/4 threads (no HT) and 32 GB DDR3 RAM. - Intel GPU (CPU-built it)+AMD Radeon RX 480 2nd GPU. 

Using VMware Workstation 15.0.3 - cannot update to 15.1.0 at this point, as it is hard to do on this PC due to bugs in the VMware installer/updater so please do not suggest that. (I am using latest 15.1.0 on my laptop however.)

I downloaded a VMware image/disk file somewhere on the Internet, was about 6+ GBs compressed - and then followed this Guide (same one Filougarou mentions):

https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install-macos-10-15-catalina-on-vmware-on-windows-pc/

(including switching to Windows 10 OS setting for part of the process, then switching back to 10.14 Mojave again - and using slightly different steps due to using VMware Workstation and not Fusion)

but right now I am having issues with update from the older Catalina to latest Catalina Beta. 

At first, all is fine - macOS Catalina Beta runs and shows as .470-something version but then if I try to update to latest .48x-something, it shows the Apple logo and gets stuck.

Restarting or power off/on does not help any. Then I remembered I installed VMware Tools, and that I should not install VMware Tools until fully updated, so I went back to my snapshot I took, and uninstalled VMware Tools (then restarted).

But this made no difference - even without VMware Tools there was still just an Apple logo, no progress bar, system (VM) totally stuck/frozen. :(

Changing to Windows 10 OS at this point just produces errors and no booting (not even the Apple logo).

Any ideas how to fix/work around this, please? (Again, please do not suggest update to VMware Workstation 15.1.0, as I cannot do it for now. And I think it is not necessary, and all my other VMs work fine.)

NOTE: VMware Tools did not seem to work too well. I could copy/paste text from Host to Guest OS, but screen size was stuck at only 1024x768.

I assume if/when I can get latest Catalina Beta working, this will be better or if not, I can likely use that extension which allows to change resolutions manually.

This was similar last summer with the Mojave Betas - at some point, screen size worked badly then in a next version it became much better.

NOTE #2: All my other older VMs work fine, ranging from macOS 10.8, 10.9 up to latest Mojave - I have them all. :) (and I even have 10.7, but rarely turn that on)
Plus a few Windows OS VMs too, plus 1 Linux Ubuntu.

--------------------------

EDIT: I will also be trying the procedure fusion71au has given above later on today.

EDIT #2: Major hurdle as very FIRST step, you said:

1.  On your Mac or Hack, download/copy "Install macOS xxx.app" into your Applications folder.

---> Sorry, no idea what this file is, or where to get it. Care to elaborate, please?

EDIT: I am seeing an Install macOS Mojave.app with size around 6 GB on one of my VMs! So, you likely mean a similar file but for Catalina Beta. How/where to get this, please? 

Also, what exact size would it be? 

Edited by Naki
grammar/clarity, extra info

On 6/6/2019 at 1:45 AM, serezha said:

Hm, here is working method to install Catalina in unlocked VMware Workstation:

First, you need working virtual machine with previous version of macOS. I used 10.13.6. Install macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg. Then download Catalina installer from AppStore, then run it. After preparing computer will be rebooted. And can't booted, you will see only apple logo, no disk activity, no processor activity. It's kernel panic. Just shutdown virtual machine, change type to Windows 10 x64 and start it again. Installation will continue. After next reboot virtual machine can not boot. Ok, shutdown it, change it type to macOS 10.14 back and start machine again. Installation will continue. That's all.

Seemed like an OK, good method, but for me did not work.
Tried same VM as you - one of macOS 10.13.6. Got stuck on Apple logo, just as you say and as my own try with older Beta I found.

Turn off VM, switch to Windows 10 64-bit. Looked OK, then around 50% in the process, Minutes XX remaining text (was around 47-45 minutes at some point) went away and was replaced with "Estimating time remaining.." (notice lack of any concrete number) and has been sitting there for 10 mins now.. :(
Did you uninstall VMware Tools from the old VM before trying the upgrade, or kept it, please?
What CPU do you use?

Edited by Naki

fusion71au --- Sorry but I have a hard time understanding your edited steps.

YOU said:

1.  If you have another OSX virtual machine eg High Sierra or Mojave, temporarily attach the vmdk undergoing the upgrade process to it

2.  Boot to this "rescue" VM and download copyprelinkedkernel.zip

3.  Run the copyprelinkedkernel script from terminal (the contents of the above zip file should first be extracted into your ~/Downloads folder)

cd ~/Downloads/copyprelinkedkernel
./copyprelinkedkernel

4.  Shutdown the "rescue" VM.  Restart the original VM undergoing the upgrade process and it should now complete :).

----

but this seems to be missing a step or 2??

Is it something like this:

1) Power off (shutdown) the working VM with older macOS version. Then detach (disconnect) its original, main disk drive.

2) Now as 2nd step, attach the .vmdk file that is undergoing the upgrade process.

3) Boot the VM up, download the ZIP file you gave.
4) Run the script mentioned from Terminal.

5) Now as last, 5th step shutdown and detach disk, attach to the other, Catalina Beta VM and finish the process.

No? :unsure:
If not, please clarify - do we not need to detach the other VM main disk, or what?

Edited by Naki

On 7/2/2019 at 10:41 PM, Naki said:

Hello? This is getting semi-urgent for me now, and I do not want to screw this up... Help?? :(

fusion71au -- sorry but all I get is total failure and time lost. Does not work!

I tried TWO ways:
One of my Catalina Beta VMs has Hardware Level 10.x (this is coming from an older VM, which works fine). I dare not change this hardware level on the older VM, as it has failed many times when I do that, and also it works well set that way.

2nd one has 15.x (this is coming from a VMDK file downloaded from the Internet, with an older Catalina Beta, I assume - D1). This was attempted to be upgraded to PB1 (i.e D2).

1) First one - wrong disk was shown in the Terminal script. After power on of Beta VM, it dies and cannot boot. Thankfully older VM still works (unsure is script actually touched that, maybe not?).

2) 2nd one - disk does not show at all, so the script cannot do anything.

Screenshot: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/yNLR/jE7WJY5et

Any other ideas here?  :(

NOTE: When I use my older macOS VM the usual way, just ONE disk shows on the macOS desktop.

However, when I added the Rescue Disk to the VM as suggested  this caused 3 disk drives to show somehow - Disk 1 with regular name, plus Disk 1 with "- Data" added after the name, and the 3rd, rescue disk.

Opening said 2nd disk with "- Data" added to its name shows different folders than the main Disk #1.

Could this be an issue?

EDIT: Is there any way to modify the files that need a change without booting into a 2nd VM?
Such as boot into some Boot Loader as Clover, or maybe boot into a Rescue Disk (this works in Windows, unsure how it works in macOS, I guess it is very different).

And somehow edit the files that need editing, so the NEW/updated macOS Catalina Beta can then boot? 
Possible, or not? :huh:

Edited by Naki

On 7/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, Naki said:

fusion71au -- sorry but all I get is total failure and time lost. Does not work!

@Naki, for some reason, the automated script is not seeing the hidden and locked "macOS Install Data/Locked Files/Boot Files" folder (probably a problem with Catalina's new "firmlinks", specific to updating Catalina physical disk partitions containing "--Data" volume). 

The extra "Data" volume you are seeing when booted into High Sierra or Mojave with Catalina vmdk attached is normal since Catalina splits its System Volume (read only) from its User's Data volume.  When booted into Catalina, this Data volume is hidden from the user (but can be seen from terminal with diskutil list command).

Here is the upgrade and rescue process from DP2 (build 19A487l) to DP3 (build 19A501i) done manually...

I have downloaded the full "Install macOS Catalina Beta.app" from Apple's software catalog with @crazybirdy's downloader script (keep a copy safe eg on 16GB USB drive).  The app is directly run while booted into DP2_19A487l and I have chosen to install over the top of the existing macOS_apfs volume (note diskutil list output shows the existence of macOS_apfs--Data volume)...

Spoiler

288576053_DP2toDP3upgrade1.thumb.png.8850706d3f6a24b6f79984863635c993.png6297822_DP2toDP3upgrade2.thumb.png.f5fdb13736d07f711aab3a462c5bcc2c.png1987314238_DP2toDP3upgrade3.thumb.png.32dd3bdd6494ac099e08b89b6fd7421e.png

On the first reboot into the second phase install, we are actually booting into the install files which have been placed by the installer in the macOS_apfs--Data volume @/macOS Install Data/Locked Files/Boot Files.  This is more clearly seen if you have Clover ---> can see the following verbose screens...

Spoiler

1508742264_DP2toDP3upgrade4.thumb.png.3cfd85bfe0da811df033332364dbea32.png1203380331_DP2toDP3upgrade5.thumb.png.d847ca4b65cd6fe00b1198c5128d8f94.png

Note the kp occurs due to "Error unserializing prelink plist" - VMware's firmware is unhappy about the vanilla prelinkedkernel used during the upgrade process.

Next, I have attached the Catalina vmdk to my Mojave virtual machine as an extra HD.  I have booted into Mojave to "rescue" the Catalina install.  I have run the "ShowAllFiles.app" to show the hidden "Locked Files" folder.  Note it is located inside the "macOS Install Data" folder on the macOS_apfs--Data volume.

Spoiler

775325664_DP2toDP3upgrade6.thumb.png.3a1d6189883861f9a9e9bfc41e9fdfc3.png878862588_DP2toDP3upgrade7.thumb.png.b481d759482e1a0aecc3591c96e0dcd3.png

In order to replace the prelinkedkernel, we need to take ownership of the "Locked Files" folder.  Right click the "Locked Files" folder, click "Get Info", click the arrow next to Sharing & Permissions, click the lock icon and provide your admin password, click the plus button to add yourself to the list of owners and then select "Read & Write" to have custom read/write access privilege...

Spoiler

338813320_DP2toDP3upgrade8.thumb.png.eed0e21b821fb55b99b6f204d2ac893d.png959344954_DP2toDP3upgrade9.png.3b8536ee257c1a01fb3eee84d5dc17a6.png1753630103_DP2toDP3upgrade10.png.e3dacb9b5a1a7b4009ad4acd17f16db9.png

The next steps involve renaming the original prelinkedkernel to prelinkedkernel_orig (in macOS_apfs--Data/macOS Install Data/Locked Files/Boot Files) and then copying the prelinkedkernel from copyprelinkedkernel_19A501i.zip into the same folder.  Note the original plk is 26.4MB in size compared to the 16.5MB plk provided.  Provide your admin password when Finder asks you...  

Spoiler

712866751_DP2toDP3upgrade11.thumb.png.caa7d8db334d687ebb4501a8d7a534c7.png1869148895_DP2toDP3upgrade12.thumb.png.75744b9a2644f961705f6d6fb831444f.png

Shutdown the Mojave VM (can also detach the Catalina vmdk now), then restart the Catalina VM.  You should now find the upgrade to DP3 proceeds normally...

Spoiler

1670094477_DP2toDP3upgrade13.thumb.png.f128b310781a060a633f41cdb19dd574.png744878375_DP2toDP3upgrade14.thumb.png.ffe19b75fd5288a3f24550c2bdd41476.png233325046_DP2toDP3upgrade15.thumb.png.4becfdb914bd87d072927755f967585e.png

2068610655_DP2toDP3upgrade16.thumb.png.c2e7f1074cdc29b53fc1d0b39631fb65.png

Edited by fusion71au
Extra info on problems due to Catalina's new firmlinks
  • Thanks 2

fusion71au -- Thanks! This sounded very hopeful and fairly easy.

However, after many attempts at 5-6+ hours with upgrade download failing for me at near the end of downloading the 6+ GBs file, I gave up on this - I was doing this from the older macOS Catalina Beta 478 Build, this I think is Beta 1.

Then I was able to locate Beta 2 (but not Beta 3) in DMG format on the Internet. 

It all worked as you say - shutdown the dead macOS Catalina VM, attach disk file as 2nd disk to macOS Mojave VM, locate the special Locked Files folder, take ownership/give rights, rename that file, copy modified file version, then shutdown Rescue VM, detach disk from it, power on Catalina Beta VM again. All went fine until the 1st restart! The macOS was upgraded from 478 to 487 Beta Build successfully.

However, it said VMware Tools was disabled, asked if I want to re-enable it, which I did because I obviously need VMware Tools to work, but it then asked to restart to enable it.

And now it is stuck - tried 2-3 times with force restart, no change - progress bar goes fine at first, then goes to 25%, 50%, 75%/etc just fine.

But then just BEFORE it should boot into the OS, with progress bar filled in 100%, the VM gets "stuck"/frozen with no way out. :(

Screenshot: https://s.mail.ru/2ZDi/v5q7Caqx4

Now what, please?

I will be trying to update to 501 instead of 487 later on... But would like ideas why 487 does not work? :)

Edited by Naki

On 7/8/2019 at 9:04 PM, IvoH said:

@fusion71au

Would be interesting to know how to create copyprelinkedkernel_19A501i.zip. What are the particular steps? 

@IvoH,

I use Apple's kextcache utility to generate the prelinkedkernel with an automated script: BaseSystem_PLK.tool

Prerequisites

1. Full installer "Install macOS Catalina Beta.app" for the specific Catalina build eg 19A501i
  2. Pacifist app
  3. Mojave or Catalina installation with SIP disabled to run the automated script in

Procedure

1.  Download and extract the attached BaseSystem_PLK.tool_Catalina.zip into your ~/Downloads folder.
2.  Copy BaseSystem.dmg from Install macOS Catalina Beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport (right click the installer app to show contents) to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem
3.  Extract the Catalina kernel with Pacifist from Install macOS Catalina Beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg/Packages/Core.pkg to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem/Kernels

Spoiler

1584072367_ExtractkernelfromCore_pkg.thumb.png.4c1c16fdf919cd332e109e75545a59a3.png

4.  Extract AppleActuatorDriver, AppleBluetoothDebugService, AppleConvergedIPCOLYBTControl, AppleConvergedPCI, IOSlaveProcessor, KernelRelayHost kexts from Install macOS Catalina Beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg/Packages/Core.pkg to ~/Downloads/BaseSystem/ExtraKexts with Pacifist
5.  Open terminal and run the following commands...
cd ~/Downloads/BaseSystem
chmod +x PLK.tool
./PLK.tool

---> supply your admin password ---> will place your new prelinkedkernel on the desktop.

Some background reading in the thread below:

How to create a macOS Installer which doesn't need bootloader kext injection (FakeSMC in pre-linked kernel), bypass High Sierra firmware and MBR check

On 7/9/2019 at 1:00 AM, Naki said:

fusion71au -- Thanks! This sounded very hopeful and fairly easy.

However, after many attempts at 5-6+ hours with upgrade download failing for me at near the end of downloading the 6+ GBs file, I gave up on this - I was doing this from the older macOS Catalina Beta 478 Build, this I think is Beta 1.

Then I was able to locate Beta 2 (but not Beta 3) in DMG format on the Internet. 

It all worked as you say - shutdown the dead macOS Catalina VM, attach disk file as 2nd disk to macOS Mojave VM, locate the special Locked Files folder, take ownership/give rights, rename that file, copy modified file version, then shutdown Rescue VM, detach disk from it, power on Catalina Beta VM again. All went fine until the 1st restart! The macOS was upgraded from 478 to 487 Beta Build successfully.

However, it said VMware Tools was disabled, asked if I want to re-enable it, which I did because I obviously need VMware Tools to work, but it then asked to restart to enable it.

And now it is stuck - tried 2-3 times with force restart, no change - progress bar goes fine at first, then goes to 25%, 50%, 75%/etc just fine.

But then just BEFORE it should boot into the OS, with progress bar filled in 100%, the VM gets "stuck"/frozen with no way out. :(

Screenshot: https://s.mail.ru/2ZDi/v5q7Caqx4

Now what, please?

I will be trying to update to 501 instead of 487 later on... But would like ideas why 487 does not work? :)

2 potential and related issues here. 

1.  You may have an old version of VMware tools that is incompatible with Catalina eg you may have used @Donk's unlocker a while ago on your VMware Workstation and it is only offering to install a 32bit darwin.iso ---> crashes your Catalina VM because macOS SIP setting won't let the VMware Tools kexts load (ie don't install the VMware tools offered automatically by VMware WorkStation).  I have attached a Catalina compatible 64bit VMware Tools here: darwin.iso

Boot the VM and download/extract it into your ~/Downloads folder ---> right click, open the iso ---> right click "Install VMware Tools.app", run the package installer.

2.  With Catalina's new "read only" system volume and security settings, you may need to mount the / folder as R/W and disable OSX gatekeeper + System Integrity Protection (SIP) before running the package installer.

In terminal, type the following lines, followed by <Enter>

sudo mount -uw /
sudo spctl --master-disable

Check System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Allow apps downloaded from ...VMware etc.

Also check that System Integrity Protection status is disabled eg

fusion71au@fusion71aus-iMac ~ % csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.

You should be able to rescue the current installation by booting to Catalina with Clover in safe mode and disabling System Integrity Protection (Clover Options/System Parameters/SIP set to 0x0277, Allow Untrusted Kexts, Allow Unapproved Kexts) ---> uninstall old VMware Tools, reinstall new Tools...

1.  Attach Clover-v2.5k-5051-X64.iso to your Catalina VM as a virtual CD/DVD

2.  Close the VMware program, then edit the virtual machine's vmx file with WordPad to add the line bios.bootDelay = "3000" ---> allows the virtual machine enough time to register key presses during boot up

3.  Start the VM, press <F2> when you see the VMware logo to access the VMware BIOS, choose to boot from the CD ---> will see Clover main GUI ---> choose Catalina volume (or Preboot volume) to boot, then <Spacebar> for extra options, check Safe Mode (-x), then select "Boot macOS with selected options" + <Enter>... 

Spoiler

973091377_SIP0x0277.thumb.png.0bb8e23e401dd2cacf77066d30306882.png904508943_SafemodeCloverboot.thumb.png.3ff17c25dbf960d80ecd7b8a82cf6ece.png

Carefully observe the verbose output for errors.

Sometimes EFI memory error may be seen.  Usually OK to reboot VM and try step 3 again.

Edited by fusion71au
Explain need to disable SIP for full functioning of VMware Tools in Catalina
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

What is the status of this issue as far as current month - August 2019 - and day is concerned?
I am seeing lots of people (2200 and counting) are reading this thread, but besides the helpers ZERO people confirmed it works for them! :unsure:

Is there a better/easier way to get the latest Catalina Beta working in VMware on a Windows PC?
What is the currently latest Public Beta? I guess it is a bit (or a lot) older than Developer Beta?
When is next Public Beta due?

EDIT: 1 more question, please.

To use Public Betas, it is easy - have a free Apple Beta account, login to that, then download Beta/etc as wanted.

However, Developer Betas require a paid Apple developer account, IIRC - $99/year.

Does the Installer Downloader script linked (attached) above skip this payment? Allowing anyone to download the Developer Beta, without needing a paid Apple developer account?
Please clarify. :)

Edited by Naki

Guys, I have some positive progress! :)

Posting in a 2nd post, because the issue is different now plus text is lengthy, so I hope 2nd post is OK to do. :)

Somehow my previous Catalina Beta VM (with Apple logo stuck, and needing the copykernel steps given above) got all messed up, the Snapshots somehow failed so could not go back, and I had to delete it.
So, I copied my Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite VM files - not too new version, not too old - just right - into a new Catalina folder.

Powered it on, then did a shutdown. And deleted all the Snapshots so that I can increase main HDD size, then upped the CPUs to 2 (was 1), upped the HDD from 40 GB (no space for Catalina Beta installation) to 86+ GB, and also upped the RAM from 3.something to 4.something GB.

Then used a 2nd VM with Mojave to download the Catalina Beta DMG installer, put that on a 16 GB USB flash drive as suggested, and then connected that to the 10.10 VM.

Copied the DMG installer into Applications, and ran it. All fine, followed the steps to change from macOS VM setting to Windows 10 64-bit.

Then change back to macOS 10.14 Setting - hardware level was at 10.x, upped that to 14.x level as prompted - then went on with Catalina Beta installation.

Did that, somehow it survived a restart! :w00t:

Tried a few more times, always works - the VM loads just fine after restart, unlike before. Great! Even VMware Tools works - at least partially - copy/paste of text into Guest VM works, Shared Folders also work.

Now, only issue left is the VM display resolution. This stays at only 1024x768, so the Catalina Beta VM is hard to use.

Tried to download this tool I use on older VMs:

https://github.com/MarLoe/VMware.PreferencePane

but no go, Catalina Beta refuses to run it at all, as it does not conform to the rules for protected and 64-bit Mac apps & extensions.

Any ideas how to get all resolutions working, or at least choose 1 higher than 1024x768, please? :)
NOTE: System this is on is: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i5 CPU with 4 cores/4 threads (Ivy Bridge), 32 GBs of RAM, large C: drive with 2 SSDs in RAID0, several HDDs, using 2 monitors - 27" 1440p, 27" Full HD.

VMware Workstation version is 15.0.3. (dare not update to 15.1, as this PC has some strange issue with VMware installer failing, then it is hard to get back to VMware working..)

VMware Tools is the latest one linked/attached a bit above, I think it is the 64-bit version of VMware Tools. :)

EDIT: Strangely enough, Chrome and Opera browsers work, but Firefox latest version only crashes. :) Any way to get Firefox working too? 

Also, very oddball feature is some updates and/or applications cannot run "because Apple cannot check them for malware". Nice! WTF of a stupid feature is this? :unsure: I hope they improve this in the next Betas.

EDIT #2: Can somebody fix the thread title, please? Says: Catatalina Beta 10.15 right now -- one "ta" is extra.

Edited by Naki
grammar/clarity

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. Any help, please? :( Donk, @fusion71au ??

EDIT: Also, https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/19/macos-catalina-beta-6/ is out!

Being no Apple Developer, somehow I was offered this one too in my current working (sans resolution & Firefox) macOS Catalina Beta. Great! :)

Not so great was --  As you can imagine, I tried to install it and it peacefully sits on the Apple logo for hours now... :unsure:
Is there an updated copykernel ZIP file and/or script for this new version?

Edited by Naki