Rushing to install 10.15 beta on an hackintosh as fast as I can

26 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, like all years i will attempt at installing the new major os release in beta on an hackintosh, as fast as i can after the release.

It's exiting to demostrate every year that our hackintosh are so good that we can start use the new betas in a matter of a few hours after the release.

I know it's pointless, but it's very funny to do and also quite challenging, and it's nice to be one of the very first to hackintosh the new version every year.

So here is how it's going to work:

-download from a mac the latest release, and install it on an ssd attached via usb

-retrive the correct info about the system binaries to mod the clover's kext injection to make it work with the new os (for sure it will not work for the new os release, that's why we neeed a modded clover)

-copy the existing efi folder of the target hackintosh to the efi partition of the ssd attched via usb and then replace the clover's binaries with thew modified ones

-boot the hackintosh from the ssd and see if it work or make some more mods and tweaking to make it work

If the clover mod isn't successfoul or comes too late, i can always boot an installed os on the mac and put fake smc and all the other needed kexts inside the /s/l/e or /l/e folders (and then rebuilng permissions and prelinked kernel) and boot it on an hackintosh with the latest public release of clover, which will not have kext injection working, but it will be enought to allows the system to boot after preparing it on a mac.

If all goes well it will be a successfoul install done quickly, luckly this year i am equiped with a very fast internet conenction (1gps ftth) at home and with the help of people working on clover for the mod thing, it will take me mostly the time for download, install, and waiting for the modified clover binaries to have the new os installed and demostrate that with hackintoshing you can do all the same things as a real mac as long as you have the understaing of the hackintosh behaviour.

For the hackintosh i am going to use, the most native and oob it's the better for this thing, that's why i will use my trusty haswell machine with an i7 4770k, asus sabertooth z87 and an r9 280x, which is the best machine i have, which is not a mac, in terms of macos compatibility and does not require things like the usb port limit workarounds and has an original apple wifi card so i will be able to use it even if i don't succed in installing the ethernet driver or having the clover kext injection working.

Reguarding the wwdc i will go at the Italian official IOS developers acedemy at the univeristy of naples to see the live stream and then i will quickly go home and start trying out all the new betas.

So what's your opinin on this little thing i do every year?

Are you going to attempt that as well?

Will you follow the development of the hackintosh of the new version?

I am very courious to hear from you guys.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I do try the beta stuff. and get the latest one. I just can't resist trying to load it. ( i get in two minds with it .ie (the clever side me is saying ON.  its all good) but the silly side of me says oo GO Try it. lol

• Like 1

I also enjoy the excitement and anticipation that comes every June.  However, having little skill or knowledge when it comes to modifying binary code, I will need to keep reading the posts about the new OS and wait until there is a working version of Clover (I will help test the versions that are released to see what works with my laptop.). This will also be the first year that I have used Lilu + plugins and VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC so it will be interesting to see if any of those kexts need to be modded for the new OS.  I can usually get my laptop running the new OS in 2-3 days after the release of the first beta.  I have a 40 GB partition on my system drive for this purpose.  I will continue to use Mojave on my system drive until the new GM comes out.

5 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

I also enjoy the excitement and anticipation that comes every June.  However, having little skill or knowledge when it comes to modifying binary code, I will need to keep reading the posts about the new OS and wait until there is a working version of Clover (I will help test the versions that are released to see what works with my laptop.). This will also be the first year that I have used Lilu + plugins and VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC so it will be interesting to see if any of those kexts need to be modded for the new OS.  I can usually get my laptop running the new OS in 2-3 days after the release of the first beta.  I have a 40 GB partition on my system drive for this purpose.  I will continue to use Mojave on my system drive until the new GM comes out.

yes i understad that you will go for the stability and safety approach, but i want to experiemnt and have fun, so i will just try it right from the start

16 minutes ago, WarDoc said:

i do this every year and have it working in like 40 mins flat it's so easy to do @ITzTravelInTime join us on IM discord we do this every year 

thanks for the invite i was thinking about making a youtube live stream, but can you link me the the discord in a pm please?

19 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

thanks for the invite i was thinking about making a youtube live stream, but can you link me the the discord in a pm please?

the discord link is in my sig 

9 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

And it's installed, i actually finished installing in2 hours ago, but i had to doi some stuff before posting

Schermata 2019-06-03 alle 15.30.32.png

Very nice work! I can't wait to mess around with it. After reading about about Catalina, I did wonder about the "read-only" nature of the OS. Apple claims Catalina is installed in a read-only volume to prevent system tampering. Is that easily bypassed with super user permissions? Or is there a way to just disable that outright? Just curious :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jolly said:

At the end, my opinion about your challenge is that if your goal is to be “as fast as you can” you have to provide evidences of it.

Not, but that's not important, the important thing for me is the fun of this challenge, but i have to say a huige thanks to @PMheart for the quickly made clover binary

for the fun, okay well that is not missing in these occasions ... the challenge would have been in light of then installing it before PMHeart made available all the patches ... with OC it was possible ... in fact I installed thanks to a OC quite well configured ... TOP fun and won challenge ... :thumbsup_anim::yoji:

Spoiler

per il divertimento, ok bene quello non manca in queste occasioni... la sfida sarebbe stata alla luce del poi installarlo prima che PMHeart mettesse a disposizione tutte le patch... con OC era possibile... infatti io ho installato grazie a un OC abbastanza ben configurato... divertimento TOP e sfida vinta... 

Edited by iCanaro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have installed also on my rig about in half an hour after beta release...with OC no problem..

Also I have patched Nvidia Web to have right resolutions on both my monitors (no acceleration obviously)

Have I won something? :)

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, foskvs said:

I’m sorry fellas. You lost the challenge.

The guys at WWDC were already running macOS Catalina.

well we had it almost at the same time

At this point I no longer understand the meaning of this topic; words as “challenge” and “rush “ doesn’t pari with “almost”.  If your purpose is sharing your experience, your feelings, don’t ask for opinion, there are hundred of People that have done the same thing without such a clamor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daniel_yplim said:

But why Apps that I installed do not show in Launchpad? Is this a bug?

Probably it's just a bug, because now the user accessible Applications folder is not the same folder as the system's applications folder

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...