Oh my god guys! Please help me!

drcreek

15 posts in this topic

Right I"m really in trouble

I have a 24" iMac and i use a external 500GB drive to store all my movies, music & photos...etc

It's borked!

I switched on my mac to get a error saying "Disk Insertion, The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer." Initialize, ignore or eject."

What do i need to do get it working again? I'm a struggling student so i can't afford expensive data recovery companies.

I know it's probably dead but if there is ANY chance i can get my stuff back,

I'm so upset i had family photos on there and personal music collections (i.e master copies of music i created)

Please tell me what i need to tell you to fix it. I really need those photos back. There are people what are no longer with me anymore on those photos. I'm an idiot for not backing up.

I'll give the site a donation or £20 to your charity of choice if i get this fixed.

I know it's unlikely, but if it is formatted as FAT32, try plugging it to a PC.

You may also try to connect it to a Macdrive installed PC.

Sometimes it works. (A friend of mine has an 80 GB external HD and sometimes he goes through the same problem as yours with his mac mini.)

You may want to read this thread to fix your mbr:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...80&hl=fdisk

Make sure not to miss Rammjet's post there.

:thumbsdown_anim:

Try using any Live CD Linux distro, something like Knoppix on a PC, and mount your drive. Create folder in root when it boots up using terminal app, and mount HDD to that folder.

mount -t hfsplus /dev/deviceid /diryoucreated

where deviceid is id of your device in /dev directory. Once you find it ( using mount command, just type mount as root), mount it to your created directory, and copy over everything onto DVD (Knoppix has DVDRW support ) ad ther you go. If HDD is detectable in OS X should be no problem.

Not so sure that GParted or Knoppix are going to work on his real Apple iMac. Perhaps if the external hard drive was to be plugged into a PC.

Since Disk Utility can see the drive, probably not a problem with the MBR. Looks to be problems with corruption with the data catalogs on the drive/partition itself. This occurs when the hard drive loses power during its write operations or wasn't properly unmounted prior to disconnection. It is a little unusual to see an iMac running a hard drive with a PC-style MBR and HFS+ formatted partition that is more common to a Hackintosh.

Typically, DiskWarrior would be used to repair this kind of problem, but Alsoft has not released a version for Intel Macs: http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior

Otherwise, the following on Demonoid might help:

File Salvage for MAC

Data Rescue 1.1 for Mac

[NEW] Drive Genius 1.2 and [NEW] Data Rescue II 1.0.1 [Must Have BOOT CDs]

I have a 24" iMac

I'm a struggling student so i can't afford expensive data recovery companies.

I'll give the site a donation or £20 to your charity of choice if i get this fixed.

and a Macbook in 2 weeks?? something isn't right, here. No, you can't be acting like a cheapskate (c'mon, £20) when you have all those. Perhaps Daddy can help? struggling student, what a joke... ;)

If your disk stopped spinning you can still try a PCB swap. I went through all of this, I too lost a drive lately and paid for the recovery on my own dime. Now, lesson learnt, I never leave vital stuff only in 1 place. Backup backup backup.

hi there

spinright at grc may help you here as it is spoken very highly about by the security teams on the twit network. sorry have not used it myself but i believe that this may fix your issue.

also have you ran fdisk in windows fdisk x: -f as a command if the file strucyure has been screwed over

goodluck :D