Clover USB Won't Boot

Mattbatt

8 posts in this topic

First post, thank you all for any help offered. I am coming from a certain commercialized hackintosh community - after seeing such amazing vanilla installs and reading of the talent here, I decided to have a go at not using such software methods. And I immediately got myself into a predicament 

BACKSTORY

I successfully upgraded from Mavericks to Mojave 10.14.2 but decided to start over and do a clean install because my Vega Frontier was not playing OOB even with Lilu & whatevergreen - and there was a lot of 'code junk' Clover barfed at boot from this 'commercialized software'.

SUCCESS

I created Mojave USB installer from scratch using the latest Clover, it worked fine, got me to the Mojave install screen.

PROBLEM

For reasons unknown to me, I decided for one last ditch effort to see if I could get my already installed Mojave playing nicer - instead of starting over clean. So I installed the latest Clover on my Mojave SSD, (it had a Clover version YEARS ago when I last installed Mavericks) and I replaced the EFI file with the kexts and config of my USB EFI file because I figured, since the USB installer launched, it was all good to go.

Now nothing boots after BIOS. Not my Mavericks drive, Mojave SSD, nor my USB Mojave Installer. They all hang right where Clover usually launches. I look at my USB lights and nothing flashes...

The only drive I can use is Windows 8.1 (my testing environment) and not from Clover. That's just booting windows up without any HD's plugged in.

Is there a way to rescue my predicament? I don't have another Mac computer and CloverConfig only runs on Mac. Is there a way to fix the USB from Windows? Thanks!

Specs: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 rev. 2.0, FC BIOS, i7-980x, Vega64 Frontier Edition, Nvidia GTX480, 24 GB 1333 RAM, SSD + various hardrives

Hi millusions,

Yes I used CarbonCopy on Mavericks before doing any upgrade. It was bootable.

The USB installer was bootable. Mojave was working but then I jacked that.

Somehow installing the latest Clover on my working Mojave caused everything to break (I had my Mavericks boot disk mounted when I ran Clover installer. Maybe that messed it up as well).

Basically I have the BIOS screen, Clover boot loader starts and there is a _ at the top left of the screen which usually blinks a few times and then the screen changes to grey and the Clover version comes up.

Well now it is just _ at the top left of the screen.

No blinking on USB or hardrives.

BIOS wasn't changed since everything was working...

After a full day, here's where I am:

1. Created a Clover USB boot loader in windows, still nothing loading.

I ask myself, "what has changed since when it was working?" Oh yes, I was running older versions of Clover from 2014 & 2015.

So in Windows I created another bootloaded with Clover from 2017, boots perfect.

2. Now I created another Mojave installer loading various versions of Clover settling with 4522 to where the USB installer launches and works.

Perfect.

3. Once in Mojave installer, I now select my SSD which has my broken Mojave loaded and run disk utilities to format it GUID.

4. Big trouble in little hackintosh world!

Disk Utilities takes a good 15 min, I know something is wrong. At the end it fails and said something like "could not format, met end of block".

I reboot into Mojave installer and there is a 2.1 GB partition (my SSD is 120 GB).

I run Terminal diskutil eraseDisk "Sucks" disk1

It can't unmount.

I see there are now 25 new disks all unnamed.

I run diskutil force unmount for each disk successfully but it still won't unmount the main disk. Says PID 0 prohibited (that's the kernal).

I take SSD out, try putting it in a USB hardrive tray reader, nothing.

Now when I boot, that SSD freezes up my BIOS. I can't even get past the BIOS logo.

So when I boot, I unplug it, then boot, start Clover, then plug it in, Clover freezes.

Help?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 3:27 AM, millusions said:

1. yup. tonymac {censored} install {censored}e in places it shouldnt, it's kinda pathetic really

2. carbon copy a working hack saves a lot of time - including EFI backups, if done the Insanely Mac way you can carbon copy a hack to real mac without any issues btw.

3. copying confing from installer prolly a bad idea

4. mojave needs latest kexts

i'd work towards booting installer, you can then work in terminal; diskutil list, diskutil mount /dev/disk3s1 or whatever your EFI is and edit/copy files but without backups makes it a little harder.

when it hangs, need more info as to whats on screen

Really wish I knew about the carbon copy option the first time I migrated from tmac,nitrash.. That basically what I was asking or trying to do the first time I came to this site a few years ago. even though with no apple OS in sight they were my only option to get to the Appstore to get my copy of OS X, and some other files from clover that could help my vanilla install. Then create a new vanilla usb install. I did notice on ***ZONE they consider Mojave they call it a "special" install now, lol, and at the bottom it says ni**** Mojave, like wow.  

Well once I get my vanilla install working I know to make a carbon copy incase something happens in the future I can use that to restore!!

I do have one question about perhaps migrating the EFI folder and files from Tmacs software. I want to make sure I'm taking the correct cautions, and, I am going to redownload the kexts and stuff from insanely Mac/links that way I don't have any traces of his hardware on my vanilla install. could I reuse his kexts? are redownload fresh ones from here that way incase some kexts might have backdoors coded into the kexts? call me paranoid, but I feel safer getting files from insanely Mac for my vanilla install. Only used his software to get into the App Store and download my OS and make a vanilla install, and it would be easy to copy the working EFI from his software but I'm scared his kexts are modified and again I trust kexts from here more.

I know this is a sorta old post, maybe I should repost this as a separate question, let me know, thanks for any help.

57121456333__7FDAD613-8224-4A5D-A4A4-6DA8FD133760.jpeg

Edited by DiddyKong

On 11/25/2018 at 8:08 AM, Mattbatt said:

After a full day, here's where I am:

1. Created a Clover USB boot loader in windows, still nothing loading.

I ask myself, "what has changed since when it was working?" Oh yes, I was running older versions of Clover from 2014 & 2015.

So in Windows I created another bootloaded with Clover from 2017, boots perfect.

2. Now I created another Mojave installer loading various versions of Clover settling with 4522 to where the USB installer launches and works.

Perfect.

3. Once in Mojave installer, I now select my SSD which has my broken Mojave loaded and run disk utilities to format it GUID.

4. Big trouble in little hackintosh world!

Disk Utilities takes a good 15 min, I know something is wrong. At the end it fails and said something like "could not format, met end of block".

I reboot into Mojave installer and there is a 2.1 GB partition (my SSD is 120 GB).

I run Terminal diskutil eraseDisk "Sucks" disk1

It can't unmount.

I see there are now 25 new disks all unnamed.

I run diskutil force unmount for each disk successfully but it still won't unmount the main disk. Says PID 0 prohibited (that's the kernal).

I take SSD out, try putting it in a USB hardrive tray reader, nothing.

Now when I boot, that SSD freezes up my BIOS. I can't even get past the BIOS logo.

So when I boot, I unplug it, then boot, start Clover, then plug it in, Clover freezes.

Help?

Thank you, your post helped me so much !

Edited by Boreithen

• 5 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 7:34 PM, Boreithen said:

Thank you, your post helped me so much !

hello thanks for your post first of all, really appreciate it. Can you please share your pre and post clover fodlers? i'm presently using a MSI x58A-GD65 mobo and 6gb corsair kit (2gbx3) with a i7 920 processor. I have tried several thing but my clover doesn't seem to be boot and reboots the system after this error in the attachment. I ahve also tried different usb's disabled usb 3.0 but nothing goes past that screen.

also nv_diable , -v, -debug0x100 have been tired for verbose loggin and gpu disable. plus i have tried inject nvidia drivers it doesn't work.

high_sierra.JPG