Jump to content
WarDoc

Good alternatives to the dying Forum Chat

22 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Could maybe we get a discord as the irc chat is pretty much all but dead in the old users who filled it are not showing up anymore 

discord is easy to setup i think it be good for the community 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

+1 on that. Much easier to use in my opinion. Also CorpNewt if some of you know him has an excellent bot which will store your hardware, links, quick tips etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seems that IRC is down now anyway...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll have to see what happens, right now I want to focus on the fixing the forum. Are you suggesting using an existing server or creating our own?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Poco said:

We'll have to see what happens, right now I want to focus on the fixing the forum. Are you suggesting using an existing server or creating our own?

 

I think it would be best for Admins/Supervisors to make their own so they have full control over it. Wouldn't take long for the IM followers to join.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Download-Fritz said:

 

lol, who uses Slack?

Pretty much every developer I know of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think making a new discord server would be good @Poco slack is a bit of a mess trying to hard to be like discord right now couldnt stand it for 5 mins let alone for good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

slack was alright when could connect with IRC. no IRC gateway=no thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WarDoc said:

i think making a new discord server would be good @Poco slack is a bit of a mess trying to hard to be like discord right now couldnt stand it for 5 mins let alone for good

Slack has been around for way longer than Discord and has WAY more features that are for Development than Discord. The only thing I can say that Discord has over Slack is that everything is 100% free. Slack on the other hand has robust integration with a huge number of tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Pavo said:

Slack has been around for way longer than Discord and has WAY more features that are for Development than Discord. The only thing I can say that Discord has over Slack is that everything is 100% free. Slack on the other hand has robust integration with a huge number of tools.

 

Features that likely nobody will ever use (on that server)... probablypopularity should decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly don't care if anyone uses it or not, its there anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

more users have discord and dont want a extra client gotta remember that and most people don't even know what slack is or want to pretty much its a dev thing not a normal user base thing ease of use matters to most users and a dark theme 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

someone made the point in chat that shifting users from forum to chat is not good for community. 

 

in this line of thinking, best to keep chat, whether IRC or otherwise, as part of the website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WarDoc said:

more users have discord and dont want a extra client gotta remember that and most people don't even know what slack is or want to pretty much its a dev thing not a normal user base thing ease of use matters to most users and a dark theme 

You mean like this?

7oXc1PE.png

Edited by Pavo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Allan said:

We can change the title of this topic to talk about the possible Forum Chat alternatives.

No problem for you @WarDoc?

Go for it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×