Good alternatives to the dying Forum Chat

22 posts in this topic

Could maybe we get a discord as the irc chat is pretty much all but dead in the old users who filled it are not showing up anymore 

discord is easy to setup i think it be good for the community 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Poco said:

We'll have to see what happens, right now I want to focus on the fixing the forum. Are you suggesting using an existing server or creating our own?

I think it would be best for Admins/Supervisors to make their own so they have full control over it. Wouldn't take long for the IM followers to join.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WarDoc said:

i think making a new discord server would be good @Poco slack is a bit of a mess trying to hard to be like discord right now couldnt stand it for 5 mins let alone for good

Slack has been around for way longer than Discord and has WAY more features that are for Development than Discord. The only thing I can say that Discord has over Slack is that everything is 100% free. Slack on the other hand has robust integration with a huge number of tools.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pavo said:

Slack has been around for way longer than Discord and has WAY more features that are for Development than Discord. The only thing I can say that Discord has over Slack is that everything is 100% free. Slack on the other hand has robust integration with a huge number of tools.

Features that likely nobody will ever use (on that server)... probablypopularity should decide.

more users have discord and dont want a extra client gotta remember that and most people don't even know what slack is or want to pretty much its a dev thing not a normal user base thing ease of use matters to most users and a dark theme 

• Like 1

someone made the point in chat that shifting users from forum to chat is not good for community. 

in this line of thinking, best to keep chat, whether IRC or otherwise, as part of the website. 

1 hour ago, WarDoc said:

more users have discord and dont want a extra client gotta remember that and most people don't even know what slack is or want to pretty much its a dev thing not a normal user base thing ease of use matters to most users and a dark theme 

You mean like this?

7oXc1PE.png

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1