AceMcLoven

XFX R9 280X Black Edition,z87x-ud7-th with i7-4770k CPU Sierra Freeze and reboot.

140 posts in this topic

So I got my machine working and boots every time. The only issue is, after I'm up and running I get reboots and freezes on my screen. If I have 1 ifinder window open things are fine, as soon as I open another finder window or safari and move the window around it freezes and crashes. Same when I make video big in youtube. 

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? 

Any help would be gladly appreciated. My specs are as follow:

Gigabyte z87x-ud7-th with i7-4770k

32gb DDR3 1600mhz 

XFX R9 280X Black edition

A side note, I did flash the bios on my GPU to UEFI, not sure why it's crashing and I did try to add the vendor ID and DevID in clover with inject ATI. I also do have lilu and Whatevergreen Kext installed. 

Thanks again. 

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

it might be your GPU being a XFX as I have read in internet long time ago that XFX 7970/280X use their costume BIOS which was some how problematic to run in Hackintosh, I used in that category of cards a MSI HD7970 Lightning, MSI HD 7950, Gigabyte R9 280X and now a MSI HD7970 TF and got to say never had any kind of problems what so ever, also without BIOS or config.plist modifications, they all worked OOB except now I added lilu and Whatevergreen Kext to my MSI HD7970 TF to correct the name and make all video ports working.

As you listed your problem it seems to be a video acceleration problem which is caused by the GPU

Assuming you have disabled on board card in BIOS and set the GPU as primer and made all other BIOS changes

Edited by RandomTech

On 4/10/2018 at 11:27 PM, AceMcLoven said:

So I got my machine working and boots every time. The only issue is, after I'm up and running I get reboots and freezes on my screen. If I have 1 ifinder window open things are fine, as soon as I open another finder window or safari and move the window around it freezes and crashes. Same when I make video big in youtube. 

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? 

Any help would be gladly appreciated. My specs are as follow:

32gb DDR3 1600mhz 

XFX R9 280X Black edition

A side note, I did flash the bios on my GPU to UEFI, not sure why it's crashing and I did try to add the vendor ID and DevID in clover with inject ATI. I also do have lilu and Whatevergreen Kext installed. 

Thanks again. 

Either use whatevergreen and lilu or use InjectATI=True don't use both, you card has built-in support in macOS and you won't be needing to add anything to your config.plist, However if you use WhateverGreen and lilu it will help macOS to detect the correct connectors for your GPU.

Is the iGPU enabled in BIOS? if so disable it and set primary to PEG or PCIe.

You can also send your EFI folder or the config.plist to see if there's a problem. Remove "Apple" folder, Serial Number, MLB, UUID from config.plist before posting it. 

Thanks for the reply guys. For someone reason I didn't get any email notifications that there was reply's on my post, anyways I ended up buying a AMD Radeon R9 280X card that is Mac Pro compatible. No kexts or drivers needed and should work OOB. I put it in and I'm able to boot flawlessly overtime into my machine but the only problem is, it keeps crashing under stress. Anyone have any solutions to this issue. I'm trying to find online if I'm missing any kexts or files but I have newest lilu and whatever green kexts. 

having issues loading my EFI folder. Keep getting this error , but it let me load my config.plist. 

config.plist

9 hours ago, AceMcLoven said:

Thanks for the reply guys. For someone reason I didn't get any email notifications that there was reply's on my post, anyways I ended up buying a AMD Radeon R9 280X card that is Mac Pro compatible. No kexts or drivers needed and should work OOB. I put it in and I'm able to boot flawlessly overtime into my machine but the only problem is, it keeps crashing under stress. Anyone have any solutions to this issue. I'm trying to find online if I'm missing any kexts or files but I have newest lilu and whatever green kexts. 

having issues loading my EFI folder. Keep getting this error , but it let me load my config.plist. 

config.plist

Is this the config.plist that you are currently using? If you are using WhateverGreen and Lilu DO NOT set the InjectATI=ture. the combination of these kexts and the InjectATI flag is probably the reason that your GPU is crashing. Use either the Kexts or InjectATI which I don't think you need it anyway.

Thanks man. I removed " Inject ATI"  and I'm still having graphic issues. Video from  my go pro play really choppy and laggy on my machine. It doesn't feel as responsive as it should if that makes sense. 

On 4/16/2018 at 9:25 AM, AceMcLoven said:

Thanks man. I removed " Inject ATI"  and I'm still having graphic issues. Video from  my go pro play really choppy and laggy on my machine. It doesn't feel as responsive as it should if that makes sense. 

Try Shiki.kext place it to the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2018 at 7:17 AM, Cyberdevs said:

Try Shiki.kext place it to the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder. 

Was hopeful, but it didn't work for me. Thank you  Wish I could solve this issue. My online content plays actually okay with less issues.  I think there's something else going on because I did a Geekbench and my scores seem really low for my computer specs. 

32gb DDR3 1600mhz 

XFX R9 280X Black edition ( I have since replaced this with AMD Radeon R9 280X which is OOB compatible. )

(At the moment only have one stick of ram in my machine. )

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 8.11.04 AM.png

Edited by AceMcLoven

You can send me the whole efi folder that you are using and I can take a look to see if I can figure out why your scores are so low.

You can remove "Apple" and "Themes" folders and also the Serial Number, MLB, UUID and smUUID if you have it.

If you could help me figure this out, I would owe you a big one man. I've been going at it for months now trying to get this thing running smoothly. 

EFI

1 minute ago, AceMcLoven said:

I tried to upload it again and got this upload error 200. 

You can use DropBox or any other file sharing services to upload the folder.

Remove WhateverGreen use Hamachi as a framebuffer and just make a DSDT, then it should work without problem

2 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Remove WhateverGreen use Hamachi as a framebuffer and just make a DSDT, then it should work without problem

Would this help solve my low scores on my machine or just my video laggy issues?

both, because as i have seen you don't have FakeSMC plugin's,  but you still need some things in config.plist 

11 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

both, because as i have seen you don't have FakeSMC plugin's,  but you still need some things in config.plist 

Oh okay, how do I create my DSDT?  

13 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

I tried it and it seem's a little more responsive. Doing a Geekbench to see if it improves. 

17 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Thank you for the files but it seems it didn't work either. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 10.30.59 AM.png

27 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

So I removed WhateverGreen and added the framebuffer as suggested. How do I remove the whatevergreen multicast installs? 

1 minute ago, Cyberdevs said:

Ok, let's solve one problem at the time. Is the overall performance and/or video playback still laggy?

Yes, I have a file from my go pro and it's choppy. When I open folders or anything with OS graphics it takes a second for it to respond. 

Thank you, I'll give it a try right now. Where do I put the SSDT-6 file at? Hopefully this solves it as it seems I don't see one in my current folder. 

11 minutes ago, AceMcLoven said:

Oh okay, how do I create my DSDT?  

SSDT will do the things needed, to make DSDT, it require you to properly Disassemble your ACPI files, patch them for OS X then compile your DSDT, it may take some time!

1 minute ago, AceMcLoven said:

Where do I put the SSDT-6 file at?

EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched\here