Test drove Vista RTM

TopazBar

63 posts in this topic

Vista is gonna be great once we have the hardware to really take advantage of it. Right now everything just takes a little longer than it did on xp (startup, shutdown, loading programs/windows). UAC has done a great job so far, no traces of spyware/viruses, even with my bro using it. I also think protected mode in IE7 helps a lot.

Aero is cool, i like the borders, and effects. For some reason i hate flip 3d, it just doesn't seem as useful as expose (which i've come to love). i don't like having to scroll through all my open windows.

WMP11 is cool, media center has always been (but is slow! :2cents: ) it's new icons sucks though, they destroyed it.

i really don't like the gadets, i would have rather they used a more dashboard like method. i don't care if i would have been copying apple, at least it would have been done right!

office 2007 totally rocks, it is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else. vista would be wonderful if only it were a little faster...

my Vista experience index:

Processor: 4.6 (Pentium D805)

RAM: 4.5 (1 Gig of 533)

Graphics: 2.0 (GMA950)

Graming Graphics: 2.4 (GMA950)

Primary hard disk: 5.2 (SATA samsung)

It feels fast, responsive, but I think I will upgrade to NVidia card soon.

What's yours like?

I really like the new unix style security improvements in the x64 version, seems Windows is finally

getting a bit more serious. :D

It's much secure now, but a bit annoying also. I mus set for few of my apps administrative permissions because they just don't work or don't save my work. It is annoying, now every time I start it my screen flicker with black and I must allow this app to start.

but yea 64 bit version random allocate memory (because of soo much of virtual space now) for apps this eliminate buferoverflows from 99 % off crappy viruses. Very clever and simple use of 64 bit space address

but new problems come rootkits and all that s..t

Graphics: 2.0 (GMA950)

Graming Graphics: 2.4 (GMA950)

Those seem pretty low for the GMA950 - it should be 3 or 3.1 at this point. Intel released new and final non-beta drivers last week. You can get them here:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-023621.htm

Click the 945GM Express chipset link and pick your OS.

Hope this helps...

bb

Finally, Vista plays DVDs without any extra codecs/software. I just played a movie in media player.

No doubt, this will {censored} off some 3rd party sw developers.

RTM should be faster, but does DVDs play in Vista with no extra codecs/software? I hope so cause Apple has done this for years....

Thank you for the link. I will try the new driver.

Those seem pretty low for the GMA950 - it should be 3 or 3.1 at this point. Intel released new and final non-beta drivers last week. You can get them here:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-023621.htm

Click the 945GM Express chipset link and pick your OS.

Hope this helps...

bb

Something I'm pleased about in one word - Symlinks.

Finally we have real symbolic inks in Vista, not just the old hardlink-equivalent 'Junction' (which was always there in XP, but not many people knew about it). Description from Wikipedia here (also contains a link to Junctions and Sysinternals' utility for creating XP junctions if you want to play with them).

Which rather beggars the question, why did MS choose to use Junctions in the root of Vista instead of Symlinks? Do a command prompt DIR in root if you want to see...

its o.k, still dont like flip 3d, or the transperancy and the damn security, everything i click on, i get security pop ups :(

you know you can disable that all if you want, right? i agree that the security popups are annoying, but i put up with them cause i know that they are protecting my system from nasties. the transparency is cool to me, i have not the heart to disable it, but flip 3d is {censored}. :(

you know you can disable that all if you want, right?

True, but the way they've moved stuff around and hidden things it's not quite so easy to find where to disable some of those annoyances. Have you discovered the magic self-re-enabling services yet? I turned that off, dammit! I disabled it! I renamed its DLL! How the *&@#$ did it get started again?!?!?! Microsoft have done a good job of making it foolproof for many users with better protection of 'important' files, but that's not always useful for someone who wants to tinker.

But after a frustrating start, I'm having to admit that, well, actually I might leave some of Microsoft's new toys where they are, and I might even use them instead of installing third party stuff. I hate to admit it, but I think I may even like Vista, and that' s saying a lot :(

Have you discovered the magic self-re-enabling services yet?

indeed i have. i tried to disable the search indexer cause i never use search and it just eats away ram. and it somehow managed to reenable itself everyime. i've given up now, i don't think it's even possible. ditto with superfetch tablet pc input (i don't have a tablet pc, why must it be turned on! :( ), parental controls (i don't have kids, at least i don't think so... :D), readyboost, etc. i'd be running faster than xp if i could get rid of the stuff i don't need.

I hate to admit it, but I think I may even like Vista, and that' s saying a lot :(

i wasn't really impressed until rtm, but now that i have aero, and the speed is decent, i've been using it more than osx lately (i'm sorry Steve :( ). maybe it's just the newness factor...

@colonels, i looked and couldn't find a driver. kinda sad that it has taken them this long, and i'm not even sure they are gonna release one.

little of topic but I wont test Offline files from Vista with box.net. I can't figure out how to mount WebDav on Vista I can mount ftp but not WebDav. Did someone figure this out?

Vista is similar to Xp I don't see much difference only areo. But I believe that they are big changes under the hood. I leave everything as in default installation taring to make it first not toy os. Stable work machine. I am stick to widows because of apps, emulation on os x is not option to me.

Did they release GMA 900 drivers yet or am I just wishfully thinking?

I believe that Intel is still considering it, but if it happens, don't expect it till January at the earliest. I would think they're at least thinking about it, so we'll see what happens.

I see hard drive and graphix cards going DOWN in price, as they are going to be more common. XP will run fine on a cheap Intel onboard, but vista needs shader model. So they are going to be cheaper and more common in low-end PCs.

I have to agree that lots of Vista's features are inspired from other OSes. But you have to give (some) credit to the programmers for re-writing the code (as Apple wouldn't give them the source!) and implementing it into the OS.

I use RC1, and I really HATE that stupid administrator {censored}. I try to delete a shortcut from my Start Menu, and I have to pass through two dialogs. I don't even use a password! I hope that's removed in RTM, so much work for basic tasks.

I'd like to see RAR support (if they can implement that from WinRAR without getting $ued)

Sorry to get a little :P

I think prices will move higher as more people upgrade after Jan '07. After that initial push, it should settle down much lower towards end of '07.

You should re-try RTM version. It is very stable and enjoyable. I thought GUI looked busy at first, but now I like it alot (love the new default font).

I'm so glad I test drove Vista. Now, I love both, osx and vista.

I see hard drive and graphix cards going DOWN in price, as they are going to be more common. XP will run fine on a cheap Intel onboard, but vista needs shader model. So they are going to be cheaper and more common in low-end PCs...

No way, RTM is unstable, with my current setup, read my signature, it is more complex than before, it doesn't uses boot.ini (NTLOADER) anymore now it uses BDCEdit for that but is much much muuuuuuuuchh complex, a lot of hardware doesn't works with xp drivers, needs more RAM, and so on.

I hope they fix some bugs before January release with updates because current version is still buggy.

enb14,

Ok, unstable 4 u. I can accept that.

Stable for me (ultimate edition):

IE runs wonderful for me. Smooth and pages seem to load fast for sites I visit.

Media Player looks delicious. Sound comes out full and album art look good.

DVD movies play well.

Who cares what it uses to load? End result works for me.

I have 27 days left for evaluation. When I visit my family and relatives during holidays, I'm planning a private demo for them. They will be shocked by the transparent GUI :construction:

enb14,

Ok, unstable 4 u. I can accept that.

Stable for me (ultimate edition):

IE runs wonderful for me. Smooth and pages seem to load fast for sites I visit.

Media Player looks delicious. Sound comes out full and album art look good.

DVD movies play well.

Who cares what it uses to load? End result works for me.

I have 27 days left for evaluation. When I visit my family and relatives during holidays, I'm planning a private demo for them. They will be shocked by the transparent GUI :blink:

Same as you TopazBar, I'm using ultimate one, most of my problems are related with drivers, specially Nvidia ones and also one thing called Strategic Commander (Microsoft Sidewinder) which they went out of business a few years ago so there's no new drivers for this and xp drivers doesn't works with this, now I will miss this hardware forever until somebody releases a simple driver for this, meanwhile, I'm missing this :construction:

I had a nice well-thought out post to reply to enb14's post above about his issues, but of course the forum choked when I clicked Add Reply and now it's lost to the Ether. Oh well..

So I'll make it short and sweet this time, and I do hope someone pays attention.

Vista might be finished as far as Microsoft is concerned, but the real development is just getting underway, meaning the drivers necessary for the proper and optimized performance of the hardware under the OS - read that again if you have to.

It's not Vista's fault your hardware doesn't work - it's the fault of the manufacturers and the drivers they provide to Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't write drivers, not even for Microsoft-branded products; they outsource everything from start to finish for hardware "they" sell. Software, like Office and the operating systems, are different stories.

So, it works like this: MSDN is for developers that are trying to make hardware, drivers, and software for people to use with the operating system that Microsoft has created. MSDN is not for any Joe Yahoo average guy to sign up for a basic OS subscription, leech everything he can, turn into a BetaBoySupreme and then get bragging rights and mad props just because he's on the bleeding edge.

That's not what MSDN is about, it never was, it never will be.

I mention this about MSDN because that's where the Vista editions are being leeched from currently. Just because you may have a sub, one you purchased or get free from your school, or you "know this guy with an MSDN sub," it doesn matter: if you were to read the fine print, you'd see that most every MSDN item available for download isn't legally to be used for personal purposes, not even commercial ones in day to day use. They're meant for use as development platforms and products to create more products which then become commercial ones, if that's the intended purpose.

This "Vista sucks" or "Vista is unstable" {censored} gets old, it really does. The OS isn't "official" yet, it will be on January 30th and when that day comes, expect a big flood of not only 32 and 64 bit software to magically appear "out of thin air," but also a {censored}load of driver support for hardware.

Jim Allchin announced a few days ago that Vista will start off with a bang because not only does it have more hardware support out of the box than XP did - that came out 5 years ago, remember? A lot of new stuff has been created since then - but Windows Update will have at least twice the number of drivers available for download after the official release on January 30th.

Same thing happened with XP: there wasn't much to talk about until it was "official" and within hours Windows Update had a ton of additional hardware support not included on the retail hologram CDs.

So sit back, do whatcha gotta do, but lay off the bashing, it's unbecoming. If it doesn't work on your machine right this freakin' moment that's too bad - it will work when it's official and it's legit.

'Nuff typed.

bb

bb,

I thought above post was WELL thought out. The lost one must have been brilliant :pirate2:.

I agree that unnecessary Vista bashing do get old fast.

I really do want Linux, *BSD, Vista, and OSX to succeed in their own right. Variety makes life interesting and fun.