macOS Unlocker 2.1 for VMware Workstation 11/12/14, Player 7/12/14, Fusion 7/8/10

Donk

100 posts in this topic

First off let me tell you that your tool (@ Donk) has been extremely helpful in many ways, just as all the forum posts and suggestions everyone here has been nice enough to make.

My question is: of all those trying out ESXi, has anyone tried using it with Vmware Horizon?

I know MacOS VDI sounds insane, but it would be really nice. Maybe at some point even Nvidia would allow a GRID driver for this. (The last one is more or less a joke, I doubt the current market players would allow for anything like that.)

Thanks!

Edited by ThinkpadFan

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 9:32 PM, El Capitan said:

It most certainly does! 

Made an image of my previous esxi 6.5, updated to 6.7.0 and everything works. Be careful though: read the release notes, certain CPUs  have been deprecated and said CPUs will result in the purple screen of death!

Sterling work dear chap! You are greatly appreciated.

Excited that ESXi support may be coming back (or is back in experimental form!)

Are you using the ESXi stuff from the repo that contains the unlocker-esxi-300.tgz file?

I'm running ESXi 6.7.0 (Build 9484548) ... which version are you running this unlocker on successfully?

Many thanks

G

Edited by MrGimper

On 8/23/2018 at 4:43 PM, MrGimper said:

Excited that ESXi support may be coming back (or is back in experimental form!)

Are you using the ESXi stuff from the repo that contains the unlocker-esxi-300.tgz file?

I'm running ESXi 6.7.0 (Build 9484548) ... which version are you running this unlocker on successfully?

Many thanks

G

ESXi 6.7.0 (Build 8169922) and Unlocker 2.0.9 (on a standalone server).

On 4/8/2018 at 11:45 AM, Zenith432 said:

@SAngeli:  As desribed here

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled

and then after restarting virtual machine

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-resolutionSet 1920 1080

Hi,

I recently updated my Mac to High Sierra and this setting does not work any longer.

When I run the first command I get this error:

Domain (/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist) not found.
Defaults have not been changed.

What should I do?
Thanks...

Hi All,

I've been having serious problems in using VMWare and simply cannot get it to boot my virtual Mac running El Capitan and after two days of fiddling am at my wit's end. I always get this (see image): 

I have tried various installations of VMWare but as I have an older i5 (4 core i5 750) I am restricted to using version 12. I have installed unlocker 2.08, 2.10 and 2.11 (and removed it before reinstalling) but nothing has helped, versions 2.10 and 2.11 seem to install smoothly. I have added the smc.version = "0" text to avoid another error and even tried the virtualHW.version = "10" instead of the default 12. I've checked and fiddled with everything but the virtual machine always gives that message a few seconds after the white Apple logo appears. I'm using a preconfigured .vmdk file which I downloaded.

I know my machine is compatible because I created a working El Cap virtual Mac a few years ago so now think some software is causing an incompatibility. I've recently upgraded my graphics card too.

As this seems to be the place were these black arts are understood, any help would be greatly appreciated. I only need the virtual Mac as I've overwritten my working El Cap Hackintosh drive to install High Sierra (successfully) then seemingly wrecked the system by installing a Nvidia card driver. The USB installer also no longer works so I can't create a new one to try again.

Motherboard is Gigabyte P55 USB3 with 14GB RAM, i5 750 (4 cores).

Many thanks,

Frog

VMWare Error.JPG

Edited by FrogBlastTheVentCore

On 9/4/2018 at 8:19 PM, FrogBlastTheVentCore said:

"I'm using a preconfigured .vmdk file which I downloaded. "

That's probably the issue. You have no idea what is in the VMDK, and could easily have somerthing that is causing the problem. The unlocker works fine when used with the downloads from Apple.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 11:36 AM, Donk said:

That's probably the issue. You have no idea what is in the VMDK, and could easily have somerthing that is causing the problem. The unlocker works fine when used with the downloads from Apple.

It turned out that the VMDK file was fine. 

It turned out that the issue was a bios setting HPET Mode (High precision event timer) was set to 32 bit and it needed to be set to 64 bit. In Bios virtualisation or vt-d also needs to be enabled.

Hope this is of use to people, VM Ware worked like a charm after this and this bios issue also affects Virtual Box which presumably uses similar methods and would also not work unless these setting are correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be checking the unlocker soon, but I am finishing a new version for ESXi first. Plus I am actually on holiday in Croatia and have other priorities until next week, :D.

I forgot to say that I did test it on the beta versions of Workstation 15 and it worked OK.

Edited by Donk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 5:31 PM, Naki said:

I can try today or tomorrow, guys. Will let you know the outcome! :) Windows 10 user here too.

Sorry for the delay - it works fine! :) Tried on 2 PCs, will update 3rd PC too in a bit.

EDIT: I used Unlocker version 3.0.1 for VMware Workstation 15, not the older versions.

Edited by Naki

41 minutes ago, Donk said:

There is a new version 3 released. Please use that as i will no longer be supporting v2.

Oops, sorry - I indeed used version 3.0.1, sorry for not being clear. :)

Thanks for the warning.

Edited by Naki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.5.1/15018442/packages/com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip.tar

script does not work because this file gives a 404.

this applies to 2.1.0 and 3.0.2

latest existing is

http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.1.0/

a workaround is to add these in line 100+x  of gettools.py

urlpost15 = 'http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.1.0/13668589/packages/com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip.tar'
    urlpre15 = 'http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.1.0/13668589//packages/com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwinPre15.zip.tar'

but still MacOS does not appear in the list of OSes.

Edited by asdf48659

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2018 at 9:14 AM, Donk said:

I will be checking the unlocker soon, but I am finishing a new version for ESXi first. Plus I am actually on holiday in Croatia and have other priorities until next week, :D.

I forgot to say that I did test it on the beta versions of Workstation 15 and it worked OK.

It is "soon" yet? Has the time come? Donk, can you please respond - are you dumping/stopping any development of macOS Unlocker, please? And we should not count on anything further with it?
OR can we expect a new, official version somewhere in Q1/2020, or at least in Q2/2020?
Please update us on the status of this, so we have a basic idea of what is, and what is not going on here. :worried_anim:

Edited by Naki