How to make Clover default bootloader after Installing Windows on UEFI

Cyberdevs

87 posts in this topic

I need some help!

I have change windows Boot Manager path to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI. it's going Clover Bootloader if I boot into Mojave before. 

If I boot into Windows 10 first time, it's not gone Clover Bootloader for next time. It's boot into windows 10 without Clover Boot Screen, repeat for next time.

On 4/26/2019 at 2:09 PM, haoduonganh said:

I need some help!

I have change windows Boot Manager path to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI. it's going Clover Bootloader if I boot into Mojave before. 

If I boot into Windows 10 first time, it's not gone Clover Bootloader for next time. It's boot into windows 10 without Clover Boot Screen, repeat for next time.

Don't bother renaming anything it'll just go back to default. Use the instructions below to create a new UEFI boot entry for Clover using EasyUEFI. This will prevent most issues with the boot order changing.

1. Download and install then click the Manage EFI Boot Option button.

2. Create a new entry by clicking the plus button in the center column of the main window.

3. Select "Linux or other OS" in Type and enter "Clover Boot Manager" in the description box.

4. Select your EFI partition in the disk list then click the Browse button and select the \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi file.

5. Click OK twice and check the new entry on main window then click Power and Reboot on the menu.

6. Confirm the Clover boot menu appears as expected.

• 2 months later...

HELP! Updated Windows on dual boot, I also deleted a what seemed to be duplicate boot entry of windows boot manager via Easy UEFI. I've recently used that program to add Clover as my first boot entry in BIOS. As before I had Clover's boot efi renamed to bootmgfw.efi or bootmgfw-orig.efi, via windows boot manager not exactly sure. 

Has the update messed with something like the 'bootmgfw.efi' file? I'm not clear on what I should try first to troubleshoot despite reading a lot of dual boot threads.

I used to have Mac OS and Win 10 booting off the same disk but now they are on separate SSD's.

Where to start? sorry not great at explaining.

IMG_20190703_093020 small.jpg

• 1 month later...

First of all, awesome post... congrats!

But I would like to share a trick that I found and works fine to me, but I cannot guarantee that works for everybody: After perform Windows instalation, just disable HDD into BIOS, restart pc, enable HDD again and restart – that's it!

How it works?

In my hardware, this restore default HDD UEFI boot option and I can access Clover instead Windows Boot Manager – without any modification. This also revert automaticaly boot priorities into BIOS to HDD.

I can choose boot Windows (using Clover or BIOS itself) and also boot macOS with their own boot files (cloverx64.efi and bootmgfw.efi).

Simple as that!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok - I deleted the windows partition (on a different internal SSD). However, I still get the Windows Boot Manager asking me about windows 10. How do I get rid of that and go straight to Clover bootloader? I did see your post in 2017 but i think things may have changed with Catalina. Can you help me out, please? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, mnsrit said:

Ok - I deleted the windows partition (on a different internal SSD). However, I still get the Windows Boot Manager asking me about windows 10. How do I get rid of that and go straight to Clover bootloader? I did see your post in 2017 but i think things may have changed with Catalina. Can you help me out, please? Thanks!

You can either use Clover's shell to remove the unwanted boot entries as described in this topic or use any other UEFI editors from windows to remove the boot entries and just keep Clover's entry.

• 2 months later...

Hi @Cyberdevs and thanks for maintaining this topic alive. It seems the original developer's site is shut down or not reachable. Can you tell us which version you are using as I see two different "latest" versions going around in file hosting (of old apps) websites, like v1.3.3.2 and v1.3.4.0 so not sure if these are fakes or if the developer pushed one last version before giving it up.... Thanks again!

(for example https://www.filehorse.com/download-bootice/ features a different latest version compared to https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bootice_64_bit.html or https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Bootice.shtml )

Edited by MacKonsti

21 minutes ago, MacKonsti said:

Hi @Cyberdevs and thanks for maintaining this topic alive. It seems the original developer's site is shut down or not reachable. Can you tell us which version you are using as I see two different "latest" versions going around in file hosting (of old apps) websites, like v1.3.3.2 and v1.3.4.0 so not sure if these are fakes or if the developer pushed one last version before giving it up.... Thanks again!

(for example https://www.filehorse.com/download-bootice/ features a different latest version compared to https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bootice_64_bit.html or https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Bootice.shtml )

Well for me MajorGeek is the best source and FileHorse is ok too but honestly it doesn't matter, at the time that I wrote this guide the 1.3.3 was the latest version so if you can find a newer version that's fine. 

• Like 1

There are alt ways to make Clover the default: 

1.: I didn't find this elsewhere so I share this here. Boot into Windows, open cmd in administrator mode and write: 

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi

Restart, then Clover will automatically boot.

There is one little downside that if you reset NVRAM then Windows will automatically boot but just ONCE. Simply restart the system and Clover will boot again (and you probably won't erase NVRAM so often). You can do this with OpenCore too, just rename the path pointing to OpenCore.efi.

Upside is that you can't really mess this up, even if you write it incorrectly Windows will boot automatically.

2.: Download EasyUEFI, add a new boot entry pointing to Clover or OpenCore.efi, it'll boot that on reboot (I see @jpz4085 mentioned this)

Btw nice guide.

Also some nice things I use to make my life easier: 

Mounting EFI: Open cmd in admin and write:

mountvol b: /s

It'll mount the efi to B:
To unmount write:

mountvol b: /d

You can manage EFI with Total Commander or Explorer++, launch them in admin mode. 

To mount USB's EFI I use MiniTool Partition Wizard. Select the USB's EFI, right click and Change letter, OK, Apply and you can manage it with Total Commander or Explorer++ (in admin mode)

Edited by kushwavez
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Cyber

I have been trying to get OpenCore to boot Windows but no luck.

I've tried several install methods. 

I put clover in place of opencore and was able to directly boot into windows.

However could not boot into MacOS's Catalina and BigSur. 

I downloaded the latest BOOTICEx64 into "Windows Boot Manager" doesn't show up

See my screenshots

1 of BOOTICEx64

2 of Windows Explorer showing S:\System as EFI

3 of Windows Explorer showing S:\System as EFI

I've tried to find the FSX in OpenShell.

hard to tell what is what. 

Made the map_table.txt from FS0: but the desi's are not correct.

Surmised the FS9 is Microsoft, as Windows. 

In opencore set Bless folder to \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi <> read on Opencore Windows Installation page Dortania

On installing Windows was not able to get the menu to select which version of Windows I want: Windows 10 Pro,

( the install always defaults to Windows 10 Home <> not my cup of tea )

Tried the normal way to install the first time and the Windows Icon shows up in Opencore but unable to boot it.  Reboots.

So I installed manually using this method found on YouTube.

Format the MacOS Partition to APFS 50GB reboot into USB Windows Installer

got me through to Install and finally to select drive and partition to install to.

Delete the APFS formated drive.

SHIFT + F10 to get Command Prompt

type dispart

list disk

sel disk

create partition efi size=100

format quick fs=fat32

assign letter="S"

create partition msr size=16 ( nothing else needed )

create partition primary

format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"

assign letter="C" or what's available if assigned.

( use remove letter="X" where X is some letter that is of insignificance )

list vol  <> to see the work done, check the assigned letter of the USB Installer is needed for the next step. letter is D

exit diskpart

Next Steps:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:D:\Sources\install.wim <> brings up catalog of Windows Versions to Install--For windows Pro = Index:6

dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:D:\Souces\install.wim /Index:6 /ApplyDir:C:\

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI

reboot

Upon reboot not able to boot from the Window Icon in Opencore.

Looking for the Desi in EFI through OpenShell to assign.

Found in Open Shell Mircosoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi <> selected it and it failed to boot.

Tried the third method of getting Opencore to boot by creating a standalone partition in MacOS OPENCORE

set the structure to FAT

Moved the EFI dir there

Booted

Still not able to boot Windows.

In order to boot into windows, I have to select throught BIOS Boot method the HD 2 .

The pointer is not working as of yet.

Do you now a fix?

Screenshot 2022-03-07 015953.png

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG