ASUS P8Z68V-PRO REV1.0 PROBELM INSTALLING SIERRA

newsman1

227 posts in this topic

Hi cyberdevs,

just a question I did purchased a PCIe USB 3.0 card 

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegrousb3pcie4port.html

so I can get USB 3.0 on my machine, now do I need to remove the GenericUSBXHCI.kext before installing the new card or should I just keep it

Thanks,

Hi there,

Your new card must have it's own driver installer, I guess you can remove the Generic driver and if it's not recognized by the macOS then you can install the driver that came with the package.

• 2 weeks later...

ok my friend I think I'm happy that 3.0 ports are working I only use 2-2.0 ports at the back for my printer and my camera, and I have 2-2.0 & 2-3.0 at front and that I use for my SD card reader and my iPhone (3.0 port works charging and syncing) 

so thank you very much for your help on this problem, now I have 2 more problems and think we can mark this topic as solved 

1. Reboot Problem

a) after I start using BOOTICEx64 I notice that I'm getting (boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting)

so I have press the restart button on tower a couple of time before making it work.

the next problem is when I restart with Sierra when the BIOS start loading it starts with the Asus logo and then it shows my main SSD and then the Asus logo and here where it freeze and it does not finish the reboot process.

2. Time between windows 10 and Mac OSX Sierra.

I notice when I go back to my windows 10 installation the time is wrong and I had to fixed manually when I go back to Sierra the time is ok there

Thanks again for all the help you did for me and I hope someone else can benefit form this post  

1. If you get the kernel load error while booting with clover, use OsxAptioFixDrv instead of using OsxAptioFix2Drv it will solve your "Error loading kernel Problem"

2. For time differences that's happening because macOS and windows are using different time standard use the attached file to fix the problem windows uses Greenwich time and macOS used Universal time.

3. Do not use RC Scripts on your hack remove the following files if you have them:

on your bootable device go to /private/etc and check if these folders are present "rc.boot.d" and "rc.shotdown.d" and delete them and reboot.

This might be the cause for your reboot problem.

Hi cyberdevs,

i need your help again my friend, remember that problem with restart problem (the one with bold font) it kind worked a couple of times but then still give me the same freezing at the asus logo and not loading clover.

right now i have my system running nice and smooth and that is the only problem any ideas please

i have been searching and reading and i could not find anything about my problem.

Thanks, 

1. If you get the kernel load error while booting with clover, use OsxAptioFixDrv instead of using OsxAptioFix2Drv it will solve your "Error loading kernel Problem"

2. For time differences that's happening because macOS and windows are using different time standard use the attached file to fix the problem windows uses Greenwich time and macOS used Universal time.

3. Do not use RC Scripts on your hack remove the following files if you have them:

on your bootable device go to /private/etc and check if these folders are present "rc.boot.d" and "rc.shotdown.d" and delete them and reboot.

This might be the cause for your reboot problem.

Hi cyberdevs,

i need your help again my friend, remember that problem with restart problem (the one with bold font) it kind worked a couple of times but then still give me the same freezing at the asus logo and not loading clover.

right now i have my system running nice and smooth and that is the only problem any ideas please

i have been searching and reading and i could not find anything about my problem.

Thanks, 

Hi there,

Yes I remember that problem.

Can you tell me how often does this happen?

now every time I restart with Sierra, because when I restart with windows 10 I have no problem it finish the reload and clover starts normally

it happens only when I restart with Sierra.

Have you ever installed RC-Scripts? Sorry if I asked this before, I just need to do a step by step troubleshooting. If the answer is yes and if you already deleted the files, you might need to go the extra mile and format the partition you already have the macOS Sierra and do a clean install. Make sure to backup your EFI partition and clover files before you do so.

This is how I got rid of the freezing problem:

I did a CMOS reset then I installed macOS without installing RC Script and without using the EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi and everything's been working fine for past 2 months. Although I got the error once and I'm not sure why (maybe because another macOS had the RC scripts files I'm not sure I have more than 4 versions of macOS on my test rig)

EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi is essential for some systems to make the nVidia GPUs to work so if you couldn't get the nVidia web driver to work you might need to use it.

and finally sometimes if I enter the BIOS/UEFI mode immediately after rebooting the system it can bypass the frozen state.

ok this what I did so far I did install Clover_v2.4k_r4200 with out the EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi and the RC Script and I also removed USBInjectAll.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext

because I had a feeling that had something to do with the restart problem.

then I did a couple of restart and it was a success but the process I did notice another problem and that is with my new Sonnet Allegro USB 3.0 PCIe 4-Port card 

​and the problem is when put the Mac OS X Sierra install USB (I'm using ADATA 3.0 USB) it did not get recognized at reboot with clover but when I used the MOBO 3.0 USB port (both USBInjectAll.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext was still on) it did recognized at reboot with clover.

did I miss something here because the card works fine with both Sierra and windows 10

usually the PCIe add-on cards can not be used to boot the system, they even need the drivers to be operational in the OS (macOS or Windows), so if you can not use the Sonnet Allegro PCIe for booting the system that's normal. 

As far as I know, you don't need to use both GenericUSB and the USBInjectAll the USBInjectAll will suffice.

Hi cyberdevs,

I want to upgrade to High Sierra from Sierra with out converting to APFS to maintain HFS+ filesystem using:

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

because my first try to upgrade it worked and I got every thing working but I notice that my clover configurator did not recognizes the installation disk so I could not mount the EFI partition for some reason so I was using Terminal every time I want to mount the EFI partition.

do you think thats ok or its better to go with APFS way?

Thanks,

I can not either confirm or deny the safety of the APFS at least not yet. It's a new standard which has not enough documentation or case studies available right now. I personally am going to use it on my hacks and I will be having a steady backup plan just in case. My suggestion is that if you are going to use APFS you do the same and have a regular backup plan of your important data to avoid any data loss.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi cyberdevs,

as you know I had High Sierra installed with HFS+ filesystem and the only problem I had was with my email (yahoo) it kept giving me the you can not delete this email problem.

so when I saw the Supplemental Update is fixing that problem I decided to do a direct update, but that was a bad idea because after update was done it kept rebooting none stop (I guess because the Nvidia web driver were not for the right build).

​so I did a fresh install for Sierra all over again.

​now I'm on Sierra, and I know now we have new Nvidia web divers for the latest build, so I downloaded High Sierra again and I notice the installer version it got updated from 13.0.64 to 13.0.66 now does that mean the Supplemental Update is already been applied to High Sierra installer or we still need to download and install the Supplemental Update after upgrading to High Sierra. the reason I'm asking this because I want to upgrade to High Sierra but with HFS+ file system using this command line in terminal:

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

the other thing if I have to download in install the Supplemental Update after upgrading to High Sierra, do I need to uninstall the web driver before doing the update? 

​and does the update convert the file system to APFS automatically 

​sorry man I know I'm giving you a headache with my questions here, but I have been doing a lot of reading but could not find all the answers I'm looking for 

Thanks,

Hi there,

Yes the new macOS High Serra release (13.0.66 or build number 17A405) has the supplemental update built in to it so you won't be needing it, app store update won't even give you the supplemental update anymore.

if you want to update from Sierra to High Sierra it is better to uninstall the nVidia web drivers first because the same thing happen to, not on sierra but on High Sierra I didn't uninstall the we drivers so I ended up in the reboot cycle, I had to do a clean install and the I just installed the supplemental update before installing the web drivers, I haven't downloaded the latest release yet, so after that I installed the new web driver and every thing worked as it supposed to do.

the switch converttoapfs NO in the startosinstall command will prevent the installer from converting the SSDs from HFS to APFS (which is an automated task for SSDs). if you are using a conventional HDD you won't be needing that switch anyway.