Sandy Bridge-E & Ivy Bridge-E Power management 10.13 (Appstore release)

63 posts in this topic

This guide is for get a working Power Management on any X79

1. We need to patch the AICPM with the OMNI patch otherwise it will never work. I made a command file for this, Open with double click a type your password. (Is only if you have a Sandy Bridge-E if you have a Ivy Bridge-E skip this step)

Perl patch: 

10.13 aicpm patch.command.zip

Or
Clover patch (If you prefered to use the clover patch not need to use the perl patch)

FF0F84D3
to
FF0F85D3

0100010F84
to
0100010F85

C974140F3225FF0F00006B
to
C9EB140F3225FF0F00006B

C9740C0F3283E01F4289443B
to
C9EB0C0F3283E01F4289443B

to
01EB61

3E7538
to
3E9090

7511B9
to
EB11B9

Using clover configurator is easier. Your clover configurator have to see like this.

post-408886-0-58468200-1496875311_thumb.png

2. We need to patch the Msr lock. For this we need download the following script. (Is only if you have a board with msr lock if you have a Asus or Asrock skip this step)

AICPMPatch

NOTE: Clover has the MSR lock patcher but for some reason does not work with X79 platform.

3. Finally we need to download the following dummy kext and put it in /System/Library/Extensions/

LegacyX86PlatformPlugin.kext.zip

4. Now is time to create it a SSDT for our cpu for this you need download the ssdtPRGen.

install.command.zip

5. Download InsanelyRepairPermission and repair and touch with

sudo InsanelyRepairPermission -rt /
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the quick update, was willing to give this a try and also APFS and boom luckily you've got us covered for the Power Management... will try this over the week-end on my dual Xeon and report back.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi @stinga11,

First of all, thank you for all your help all these years. If you must know, your posts regarding X79 has been my go-to source in installing the latest OS every year. This High Sierra has been the hardest for me. Actually, even Sierra's 10.12.6 is. I'm not sure what really changed after 10.12.5, but I've wasted days to make it work to no avail. FYI, I'm using a 4K monitor and the best configuration I can get for 10.12.6 is it boots to the desktop except my 4K monitor is only at 30Hz. So it's unacceptable so I have to return and stay at 10.12.5.

Anyway, my problem now is since I can't even make 10.12.6 work, it's a lot harder for me to make 10.13 work. In fact, I've spent about 3 days already and I still can't even get Clover to finish the boot sequence just to even get to the Installation part of High Sierra. And this makes me wonder: What changed exactly? What additional steps should be done to make High Sierra work for our X79 systems this time? (My proc is 3930K btw if it matters) What SMBIOS is appropriate now that could make my 4K monitor work at 60Hz and boot into desktop? Other new info we must know?

So, here I am asking for any help from you if you could give me tips/suggestions on how to make High Sierra work for my Gigabyte X79-UP4. I believe you have a different mobo, but I'll take whatever tips/suggestions you can give me just so I could be on the step towards the right direction.

I would really appreciate a reply from you mate! Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
JD Apolo

• 2 weeks later...

@Stinga11

Hey man, finally got to boot properly High Sierra on my rig (check the sig), so I immediately wanted to test PM since the system feels really laggy. As per your indications I did the needed commands to patch AICPM and added the dummy inside my clover others folder.

Strange thing is, I can see the CPU being detected, and I see the AICPM successful lines for each core at boot too... BUT when I get into the system it is still laggy, and Geekbench still sucks.

Just for info, I had to replace AppleAHCI and AppleACPI with those from Sierra, otherwise I was impossible for me to get into the system.

Any clue what might be wrong in there ? Regarding the SSDT it is the same I've been using in Sierra and previous OSX release without problem until now.

• 1 month later...

The patches are not working for me on my X79-UD5. I'm getting KPs pretty much instantly. NullCPUPowerManagement has allowed me to install and reach the desktop, so I know that's the problem. I tried the info from this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/326200-new-possibilities-for-x79-appleacpiplatform-panic/ and it didn't have any effect.

Arkanis, I saw your post over there, so for you patching AICPUPM directly was the solution? I've used Clover to patch this for so long that it's a surprise it's not working. I will give that a try.

Unfortunately it may be a while before we hear back from Stinga11. I believe he's in Puerto Rico. I hope he's OK.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/30/2017 at 3:08 PM, twisterchoc said:

Thanks Stinga.

Patches working correctly? on my X79-UD3 witn Xeon E5 1620v2 on High Sierra 10.13 (apfs). it is necessary to repatch every time we update the system to 10.13.1, 10.13.2, etc?

Attached AppeIntelInfo log.

pm2.txt

Regards, Your processor is Ivy Bridge-E therefore you do not need the processor patches. Depending on your motherboard you may need the MSR patches.

Stinga - this might be OT - but do you have any idea why a lot of X79 and C602 systems seem to be unable to wake?

Seems like this problem is centered around Sandy and Ivy Bidge CPUs, so maybe it's not OT at all, but nobody so far has any concrete ideas why this happens.

Symptoms:

• Machine goes to sleep (apparently) just fine
  • Machine wakes when pressing power button, fans ramp up
  • But nothing more happens. No traces of any wake event in the macOS logs.
  • Machine can only be powered down by pressing the power button for some seconds, even the reset button is dead in this state
  • The LEDs on my mobo (the ones indicating POST state) are endlessly cycling through various values (something like 32 - E1 - 00 - 10 - 19 - 27 - 26 - b9 - b5 - 5A)

Everything worked fine pre 10.13. Especially the last symptom may indicate that the problem is somewhere "deep down" on the ACPI level, but no idea if it is CPU PM or something else.

Edited by frankiee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, frankiee said:

Stinga - this might be OT - but do you have any idea why a lot of X79 and C602 systems seem to be unable to wake?

Seems like this problem is centered around Sandy and Ivy Bidge CPUs, so maybe it's not OT at all, but nobody so far has any concrete ideas why this happens.

Symptoms:

• Machine goes to sleep (apparently) just fine
  • Machine wakes when pressing power button, fans ramp up
  • But nothing more happens. No traces of any wake event in the macOS logs.
  • Machine can only be powered down by pressing the power button for some seconds, even the reset button is dead in this state
  • The LEDs on my mobo (the ones indicating POST state) are endlessly cycling through various values (something like 32 - E1 - 00 - 10 - 19 - 27 - 26 - b9 - b5 - 5A)

Everything worked fine pre 10.13. Especially the last symptom may indicate that the problem is somewhere "deep down" on the ACPI level, but no idea if it is CPU PM or something else.

I have the same problem, I have not yet been able to find a solution.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue for me - MaLd0n fine tuned my DSDT so everything is working perfect 

on 10.12.x, but I can't wake up from sleep (same symptoms - fans spin on but no display or keyboard).

I would hate to be stuck on Sierra.

Is there anyone who can help us or is working on a solution?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, quite a lot of people experience the same, but there seems to be no solution so far. I tried so many things, and actually have given upon this topic - so well, as it seems, if you want to run HS on an affected system you won't be able to sleep. I still think it is ACPI related, but I am not competent enough with this to be able to find a solution.

Of course if anyone has any additional ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 months later...

The above kexts to patch works perfect for my msi x79a-gd65 (8d) with i7 3930k on 10.13.4 

but i am unable to update to 10.13.6 (and it is the same with 10.13.4). I almost sure that it is the cpu power managment is responsible for my freezes upon installing. 

Do you guys managed to update to the latest High Sierra version?

as for sleep, i am at the same boat. it never worked no matter what i have tried and i have setup 3 different X79 systems. it is the same on each one of them

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm trying to make my setup run properly.

s2600cp 2x e5 2670v1

I got the speedstep to work; turbo mode and low frequences, my geekbench singles core is very good to this processor 3000. But the muilt core is like just one CPU is runnig 16.000. I'm doing somthing wrong, but a dont know what.

Any sugestion? thanks, sorry for my poor english

Edited by guscaetano

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/11/2018 at 2:54 PM, adiif1 said:

Who try this path on Mojave?

I'm in the same situation. I think we will need to wait for @stinga11 to make a new "Sandy Bridge-E & Ivy Bridge-E Power management 10.14" post over in that forum.

I have my Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme Core i7-3930K working great on 10.14 except the processor is locked at 3.2Ghz until I can figure out how to do the power management patch.

I'm in the same situation. I think we will need to wait for [mention=408886]stinga11[/mention] to make a new "Sandy Bridge-E & Ivy Bridge-E Power management 10.14" post over in that forum.

I have my Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme Core i7-3930K working great on 10.14 except the processor is locked at 3.2Ghz until I can figure out how to do the power management patch.
I have ready the new patches but I dont have time to create a new post. I will try to upload the next week.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A5010 mediante Tapatalk

• Haha 1

I was able to take AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext) from my 10.13.6 build, copy them to Mojave and run the patch command script and that works, with good single & multi-core scores from Geekbench 3.

Interestingly the 10.13.6 version seems to have a higher version than Mojave.

Edited by tuff bob
typo

On 10/17/2018 at 10:05 PM, stinga11 said:

I have ready the new patches but I dont have time to create a new post. I will try to upload the next week.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A5010 mediante Tapatalk

Hello stinga11 and, first of all, thanks for your work on Sandy/Ivy PM.

I'm trying to fix PM on my Z620 under 10.14.1 and wondering if you could publish the new patches you've mentioned in this thread.

Let us know.

Best regards and thanks againg for your time!

AC

On 10/28/2018 at 8:12 PM, tuff bob said:

I was able to take AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext) from my 10.13.6 build, copy them to Mojave and run the patch command script and that works, with good single & multi-core scores from Geekbench 3.

Interestingly the 10.13.6 version seems to have a higher version than Mojave.

This worked for me also! Thanks!

My geekbench score is now back to what it should be and I'm running at full speed.

It seems not optimal to be running kexts from the wrong version of MacOS...but I guess this is a temporary fix until we hear from @stinga11

On 10/31/2018 at 2:30 PM, MK500 said:

This worked for me also! Thanks!

My geekbench score is now back to what it should be and I'm running at full speed.

It seems not optimal to be running kexts from the wrong version of MacOS...but I guess this is a temporary fix until we hear from @stinga11

I'm trying to make PM work on my 10.14 x79 system as well. Can you post your 10.13.6 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext files as I never went to 10.13 (skipped to Mojave from 10.12)

22 hours ago, CreativelyChris said:

I'm trying to make PM work on my 10.14 x79 system as well. Can you post your 10.13.6 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext files as I never went to 10.13 (skipped to Mojave from 10.12)

I am currently using these successfully on 10.14.1. They are already patched; so no need to run the script. Just install them using your favorite kext utility.

10-13-6_Patched.zip

Edited by MK500