Anyone got 10.4.8 working with P5W-DH Deluxe?

SquidCombo

35 posts in this topic

I can confirm that it does work with the P5W-DH. I have the 'first edition' of JaS' 10.4.8 DVD which provided a stable installation. I had to copy the IONetworkingfamily.kext from the comboupdate to get my network device functioning, however. I suspect that finding an optimal configuration (kexts/etc) will take time, but at least I have a fully functional OS. Wireless doesn't work, but that's no surprise. If you provide a few more details on why it's not 'working for you', I'm sure you'll get some help.

I can confirm that it does work with the P5W-DH. I have the 'first edition' of JaS' 10.4.8 DVD which provided a stable installation. I had to copy the IONetworkingfamily.kext from the comboupdate to get my network device functioning, however. I suspect that finding an optimal configuration (kexts/etc) will take time, but at least I have a fully functional OS. Wireless doesn't work, but that's no surprise. If you provide a few more details on why it's not 'working for you', I'm sure you'll get some help.

Bleh, I downloaded 10.4.8 First Edition and deleted it knowing that the MD5 didn't match Jas's. So I downloaded the second edition (and deleted first edition) and now it doesn't work.

With the second edition, chooing semthex's or mifki's kernel doesn't even allow to boot. It just reboots everytime after loading all the kexts. However, using easy install causes kernel panic on ACPI something. I remember chooing a specific packages on the install DVD also causes AppleIOATA problem.

I'm on my fifth try on installing the DVD.

On the second edition, do I still need to format the drive using 10.4.6/7's Disk utility?

I'm installing on to an IDE drive as opposed to my SATA drive.

Ok, I installed 10.4.7 and followed this guide (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32025&st=0) to upgrade my 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 and use 10.4.8 mifki kernel.

The result is a system reboot after the -- \ | / -- | (rotating slashes). So I ruled out the problem: It was the mach_kernel that causes the system reboot. Now, I need to know why this happens, do I need to set things in the bios? SpeedStep? microcode? CPUID?

i got it running with the new DVD, but no network is working, it sees the network and gets all the ip info it need, but it doesnt go to the internet :-(

I had to copy the IONetworkingfamily.kext from the comboupdate to get my network device functioning

Can you explain how to do that?

Dennis

My experience:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Asus P5WDH-Deluxe

Corsair XMS2 PC6400 2x1GB

The second release of jas 10.4.8 install DVD SSE3 only booted fine,

and installed fine with the semthex kernel.

After that the network woudn't get an IP address.

So that was really f***ed.

So I picked the networkfamily kext from 10.4.7 and moved it to 10.4.8.

And that worked.

But my audio was also f***ed.

I editted my audio kext, but I woudn't load the kext, so I did the editting again, without succes,

so I moved my AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from my 10.4.7 Volume which was already patcht for the chipset by me.

After that, I managed to get the stuff working with some chown -R root:wheel and chmod -R 755 etc patching.

Alright.

After that I got the stuff working, I repaired my permissions, and got the system running.

I had my cpu at 3GHZ clocked, so I set my frontsidebus to 333 in the kernel flags which booted with

fsb=333 -v

So then I got started to test my system.

I opened some apps BUT my whole system froze and I had to reset the PC.

That happend for about all the time, I think I never have managed to shutdown the PC normally.

So that was really F-U-C-*-E-D

I read on IRC that the only solution was to disable one core, boot with cpus=1

But you don't want to run with a single core on a core 2 duo, thats just {censored}..

SO,

I installed 10.4.7 and I don't have probs anymore...

So P5W-DH Deluxe users with a Core 2 Duo,

I won't blame JaS for this, but f*** 10.4.8 on our systems,

Just use 10.4.7

My experience:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Asus P5WDH-Deluxe

Corsair XMS2 PC6400 2x1GB

The second release of jas 10.4.8 install DVD SSE3 only booted fine,

and installed fine with the semthex kernel.

After that the network woudn't get an IP address.

So that was really f***ed.

So I picked the networkfamily kext from 10.4.7 and moved it to 10.4.8.

And that worked.

But my audio was also f***ed.

I editted my audio kext, but I woudn't load the kext, so I did the editting again, without succes,

so I moved my AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from my 10.4.7 Volume which was already patcht for the chipset by me.

After that, I managed to get the stuff working with some chown -R root:wheel and chmod -R 755 etc patching.

Alright.

After that I got the stuff working, I repaired my permissions, and got the system running.

I had my cpu at 3GHZ clocked, so I set my frontsidebus to 333 in the kernel flags which booted with

fsb=333 -v

So then I got started to test my system.

I opened some apps BUT my whole system froze and I had to reset the PC.

That happend for about all the time, I think I never have managed to shutdown the PC normally.

So that was really F-U-C-*-E-D

I read on IRC that the only solution was to disable one core, boot with cpus=1

But you don't want to run with a single core on a core 2 duo, thats just {censored}..

SO,

I installed 10.4.7 and I don't have probs anymore...

So P5W-DH Deluxe users with a Core 2 Duo,

I won't blame JaS for this, but f*** 10.4.8 on our systems,

Just use 10.4.7

For me all works like a charm

Ok i did all you said for network and sound same tips (fortunately i did a backup extensions of 10.4.7)

BUT one think i use mifiki patch with enable nx at the cpu configuration in the bios and don't use fsb in the kernel flag

and i can confirm this mobo and E6600 works very well with 10.4.8 second edition and all soft run perfectly and i don't have error message at the boot disk insertion blablabla because i use port sata yellow (raid)

Ahh, good! Someone with the same hardware :whistle:

So, I spent all of yesterday installing and reinstalling and reinstalling 10.4.8 (I also have the P5W DH Deluxe). The answer to get your keyboard and mouse working is, do not install the USB2 fix. I installed the main JaS package, the Semthex kernel, and the about screen fix.

However, I have as of yet been unable to get sound, networking, or my video acceleration (nvidia) working. The network adapter is the Marvell Yukon 88E8053 -- tried installing a kext that the forums seemed to suggest would work, but it didn't seem to do the trick. I am still messing with the Titan kexts (to get my 7950GT working) too.

If anyone manages to get any of these kexts that they can confirm work, please PM me, I'd be interested in knowing how and/or getting the kexts. I will report back if I get any of it working myself ;)

Hi- I could install JaS 10.4.8 first edition with diskutil 10.4.6. I had to replace net and sound kext from 10.4.7. To get networking I had to configure DNS manual-fill in DNS provider to get internet. After that system run like a charm-rosetta is much faster now. Xbench the same like 10.4.4 kernel.

With JaS 10.4.8 SE I checked USB fix-which was wrong. I had no mouse no keyboard. I replaced net, sound amd usb kext-did DNS provider infos in network manual -not DHCP !!!!!!!!! and had to wheel to get right permissions-Voila-with fsb=333 in mifkis kernel everything is o.k.

Coolio

Coolio,

I would also appreciate the .kext. I am trying to get up and running. I have currently 10.4.6 loaded. Everything seems to work except the sound. Is it better to just reload using 10.4.8SE DVD or should I just patch up to 10.4.8 using the JAS update patches?

Thank you,

Robert

BUT one thing i use mifiki patch with enable nx at the cpu configuration in the bios and don't use fsb in the kernel flag

and i can confirm this mobo and E6600 works very well with 10.4.8 second edition and all soft run perfectly and i don't have error message at the boot disk insertion blablabla because i use port sata yellow (raid)

Thanks,

What does NX ?

And what to type for nx? -nx ?

Probs with mouse and mobo can be fixed to not install usb 2.0 patch!

I just ordered the following:

P5W Deluxe

e6400 C2D

Biostar 7600GS

Seagate 7200.10 sata

Samsung DVD-RW pata

I have the JaS 104.8 Install DVD and will try the new nebu kernel.

Will let you know how it goes on Monday :-)

Install went fine with either 10.4.6 or 10.4.8 reseed from JaS...

After next reboot I get only "HFS+ partition error"...

That's with a E6300 and a X1600Pro PCIe card...

I wouldd like to know from those people whit working P5W DH and Duo Core the exact BIOS settings they are using and on which ports they connect their DVD/HD drives...

Also maybe BIOS version would be good...

cheers

davorin

Yes (o;

Got some hints on irc just recently...

Basically trying to fix partition with fdisk during DVD boot....

At least my 2 weeks vacation are starting this Friday...so plenty of time

to figure it out and give feedback (o;

cheers

davorin

Install went fine with either 10.4.6 or 10.4.8 reseed from JaS...

After next reboot I get only "HFS+ partition error"...

That's with a E6300 and a X1600Pro PCIe card...

I wouldd like to know from those people whit working P5W DH and Duo Core the exact BIOS settings they are using and on which ports they connect their DVD/HD drives...

Also maybe BIOS version would be good...

cheers

davorin

I had lots of problems with this. For starters, you might find that after installing, if you leave the jas dvd in drive and set bios up to boot from the dvd, when the dvd boots, just let it boot (don't select install) and it will then boot your macosx partition from the hard disk.

But that was only for starters. If you want to be able to boot directly from the hard disk, these are the bios settings I had to set:

configure sata as: standard ide (other options: ahci, raid)

onboard ide operate mode: enhanced mode (others: compatible, disable)

enhanced mode support on: s-ata (others s-ata+p-ata, p-ata)

I plugged my sata hard disk into the red sata1 port, and my dvd burner into the blue pata port (according to the manual, the black pata connector controlled by the jmicron chip does not support atapi divices - eg cdrom).

I believe you can also plug the sata disk into the orange ez-raid1 port.

some further notes:

only use the intel or ezraid sata ports - don't use the jmicron ones for macosx as they are not yet supported. (probably fine for other oses though)

Install macosx onto a primary partition (not an extended partition)

The macosx partition probably needs to be made active (not sure as I use the linux grub boot loader and this gets around that I think). Note that I have not tried getting this working without grub so your milage may vary.

I am currently using bios version 1503, but I did the install with the previous one (1407?) so both of those work. There is a new bios out 1506 that I have not tried yet but it probably works too.

I found that with the above set up, I was able to install windows xp (with latest service packs on the installer disk) on one primary partition, macosx twice on two separate primary partitions (it is good to have two so you can update kernels/software on one and when that breaks you can fix it with the other one), linux on an extended partition, and another big hsf+ partition as a user partition that I share between my two osx installations so that my user account doesn't change when I boot from the different macosx partitions.

Without the above bios settings, windows xp and the linux distribution I am using have trouble seeing the full size of the partitions I am using, and macosx has trouble booting. I recommend that if you are not using those bios settings, that you set them, wipe the disk (you can use disk utility from the macosx installer disk) and reinstall everything. I had lots of headaches trying to repair stuff until I did that.

If you are planning to multiboot with linux, I recommend this guide: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Multibooting

Good luck,

Fabcat