Titan/Natit crashes and burns with most 7950GT & 7900GT/GTO/GTX 512MB cards

Wallstreet

119 posts in this topic

this scares me since I'm about to get a Dell Laptop w/ a 7950 GTX since its better than the 7900

I wanna move on Mac OS X from XP-platform... I collect software (web-design), but the only trouble is the screen's resoultion & refresh... so I'm looking forward for next Natit release with solved 512M problem :)

Edited by Mr-Mur

Okay I did (or want to) try some stuff:

Since our problems are memory amount related, I first of all wanted to try to understand why the vesa driver detects only 256 MB of memory. So I've managed to access the video bios (vbe) via protected mode far pointers and I've managed to read the "TotalMemory" field from the cards information that is exposed via vbe.

And for some reason my 7900 gtx says it only has 256 megs of ram. I did not find any indication for a upper memory limit in the vbe 3.0 standard, maybe its a bios bug or maybe something else. Does anybody have an idea if this could be somehow related to our problem?

If the nvidia driver (or even maybe titan/natit) base their decisions on how to fill efi information, etc on bios info or vesa driver, than that would be the point where we should start looking for a solution. My next step will be to get the Natit source and see what it exactly does.

Is the vesa driver part of the kernel sources? Maybe guessing memory amount based on vendor and model fields from vesa info could help to...

EDIT:

1. I've started with a MacOSX fresh install, started SSH and VNC Server

2. Installed the new Natit_uni -> System boots into black screen "crashes and burns"

3. Added the key memsize with value 536870912 to the entriesToAdd section of Natit's Info.plist (just like fboffset) -> System boots, black screen, but *no* crashing.

4. Ping works, ssh works, vnc works -> System Information shows Geforce 7900 GTX, VRAM 512 MB RAM, and all IDs correctly.

Problem: Under "Displays:" there are just two empty "Display:" Sections.

5. In addition to 1024x768 now 800x600 is available in display settings.

Edited by madre42

Anyone getting any love with the 7950 GT yet? Any holiday gifts for us? Looks like a few of you are close, macNut claims to have got it working, and the rest of us are still waiting. Anything new?

I saw the post today about getting the system to boot but missing the displays. That's close!!! Or is that only when you connect to VNC?

Thanks!

Edited by Kosher

I got a 7600GS card with 512mb work with the natit drivers, but only once.

Here is what happened:

1. used the package installation of natit from installers.dl.am

2. black screen after reboot

3. tried to start in single user mode / safe mode (pressing alt+s or something like that) a few times

4. Managed to boot in 800x1280 resolution (just a thin vertical stripe on the midle of my screen) No mouse pointer

5. Managed to start the video resolutions applet, resolutions shown were 800 x 1280 and 1600 x 2560 (this should have been 1280x800 and 2560x1600), but my monitor was recognized correctly as a Dell 3007FWP

6. Pressed detect screens, and got a full list of correct resolutions

7. Changed to 2560x1600 and it worked beautifully - no artifacts or anything

8. Rebooted after re-installing the USB drivers and got black screen again (and again, and again)

The interesting part to me is that the drivers got initialized with horizontal and vertical resolutions switched - maybe this is some bug which is only trigged with some cards?

I hope this can help someone..

I got a 7600GS card with 512mb work with the natit drivers, but only once.

Here is what happened:

1. used the package installation of natit from installers.dl.am

2. black screen after reboot

3. tried to start in single user mode / safe mode (pressing alt+s or something like that) a few times

4. Managed to boot in 800x1280 resolution (just a thin vertical stripe on the midle of my screen) No mouse pointer

5. Managed to start the video resolutions applet, resolutions shown were 800 x 1280 and 1600 x 2560 (this should have been 1280x800 and 2560x1600), but my monitor was recognized correctly as a Dell 3007FWP

6. Pressed detect screens, and got a full list of correct resolutions

7. Changed to 2560x1600 and it worked beautifully - no artifacts or anything

8. Rebooted after re-installing the USB drivers and got black screen again (and again, and again)

The interesting part to me is that the drivers got initialized with horizontal and vertical resolutions switched - maybe this is some bug which is only trigged with some cards?

I hope this can help someone..

What brand was the card and what is the device id?

Just wanted to add my lack of success with my evga 7300 gt...It is a 7300 gt with 512mb...

I've gotten it to identify correctly ---but I get the black screen of death. I've tried

Titan and Natit with no luck...

I believe it has much to do with the amount of memory...It never shows 512mb always

256mb...

So, hopefully someone comes up with a work around... :D

What brand was the card and what is the device id?

Here is some verbose information on the card from Linux (lspci -v):

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0392 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 169

Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

Memory at fc000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at ec00

[virtual] Expansion ROM at febe0000 [disabled]

Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2

Capabilities: [68] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint IRQ 0

This is a club 3D 7600GS - the 512mb version supports dual-link, the 256mb doesn't, so I had to buy the 512mb version.

I've done some experimenting today, and starting in safe mode (shift during startup) I get a black screen with the moveable outline of a white mouse pointer if the mouse is on usb, in this mode horizontal and vertical seems to be switched around, so when I move the mouse vertically it moves horizontally on the screen. No icons are visible. If the mouse is on ps2 there is no visible mouse pointer.

After starting in single user mode I removed the natit folder from extensions, and got back to 1024x768 resolution.

That 2560x1600 actually worked once with this card gives me some hope that this is fixable with the current drivers, I just hope someone with more time than me can figure it out :pirate2:

I believe it has much to do with the amount of memory...It never shows 512mb always

256mb...

If you are referring to the memory amount reported by the VBE driver, than that's perfectly ok. For some reason nvidia Boards expose only 256 of the 512 Megs of memory if the card is used with VBE-BIOS calls.

The OSX drivers seem to detect the real 512 MB of memory correctly on their own. I've played around with "memzise" keys Info.plist and I somehow got my system to boot with a black screen without crashing. I can log in via VNC and take a look at the System Profiler. The card is detected correctly, but the "Displays" section is filled with empty "Display" subsections. The number of empty Display subsections (I've had 1 or 2) depends on wether I have "@1,..." entries in the Info.plist or not. Funny thing is, once the system has booted one time, I can change the memsize param to what I want, OSX always detect the correct amount of 512 MB on next reboot.

So my current problem is the card being detected properly, but none of my attached display-devices end up being detected/used for some reason. I've tried filling my EDID information in Info.plist and so on, but with no success. I've no idea what could possibly cause that problem.

Any ideas anybody?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the new release will change anything because the driver hasn't changed. i'd really like to see my 7900gto finally working though, so please someone give it a try and report back :P

btw i dont think they like direct linking to sites like demon here.

I don't think it'll change anything here. It's still the same natit version that Jas slipstreamed into the disc, right? So still no joy for us 512mb users.

sure,i think so too....

i wish the driver for us will come soon.

Hi,

I have a MSI Geforce 7600 GS 512. (0x02e110de)

Tryed everything with Titan and Natit...every time a black screen.

But I dunno if it matters when I did change a setting in IONDRVSupport.kext from 0x03000000 to 0x02000000 then osx starts fully and loads all drivers but one small problem......there will be no loginscreen. You can hear that the music is playing and so on.....

So this are my 2 cents....hope that it could help to a solution.

Hi,

I have a MSI Geforce 7600 GS 512. (0x02e110de)

Tryed everything with Titan and Natit...every time a black screen.

But I dunno if it matters when I did change a setting in IONDRVSupport.kext from 0x03000000 to 0x02000000 then osx starts fully and loads all drivers but one small problem......there will be no loginscreen. You can hear that the music is playing and so on.....

So this are my 2 cents....hope that it could help to a solution.

thank you!

i tried this but i got this screen and my pc stoped.

post-68154-1168273717_thumb.jpg

Any news here ? So as far as I see, the driver loads, founds the right card, someone managed to enter the system without display, and all seems to be only related to the initialization of the display, but why is it related to the amount of memory ?

And the big question is : are the nvidia drivers gurus still here? Is natit still in development ? Is anyone with great knowledge still involved in this, who could try to resolve this very annoying issue.

Should we forget about running osx86 in good conditions, or maybe should we wait for the macvidia accelerated driver to come ?

So please, if someone could try to solve this problem, it would be better than great.

Thank you.