Titan/Natit crashes and burns with most 7950GT & 7900GT/GTO/GTX 512MB cards

Wallstreet

119 posts in this topic

So, any progress with 512Mb cards yet?

I noticed that some ATI users seemed to have 512Mb.

I'de desperately like to get hold of an ioreg dump from a Mac Pro with a quadro 4500 and see if that offer clues for thing to inject using Natit. Trouble is its a damn expensive card for the mac so there can't be too many out there!!

My 521Mb GTO is sitting atop my pc, whilst the 7300GT does the business....

Same here... 7900GTO still sitting on top of my computer... I have tried everything as far as my skills go, even modifying Natit source in bizarre ways, but the black screen issue remains. There were rumors some time ago hinting that Natit was going to be beefed up with _np's tips for 512MB cards, but I have not seen any confirmations recently about this...

I too have been playing to try and get it working, so far with no luck.

Having seen that some of the ATI guys are ok with 512Mb I've been wondering if its to do with the driver not correctly establishing the size of the VRAM. Before the NVidia driver starts the Vesa driver says theres 256Mb of VRAM, so maybe the driver bases the VRAM amount on the Vesa amount.

The official Apple Quadro 4500 has 512Mb yet no doubt it doesn't rely on the Vesa driver - instead maybe EFI sets the VRAM amount, so perhaps another item to inject would help.

Another possibility may be specific code for the Quadro and its extra ram in the driver, but I don't have the knowledge/skills to go through the driver and find answers.

512MB cards are fully supported on a standard Apple machine.

I have heard many conflicting reports regarding why the cards do not work under the latest 10.4.8 seed.

Some say it is due to the Semthex Kernel not fully supporting the cards, which would mean that the issue will be fixed soon.

Some say it is a Titan / Natit problem.

The best thing to try is to get the latest re-seed, install and then update the Semthex Kernel to the very latest version, drop the Titan kext in without modifying it and see what happens.

Apparantely this allowed OriginalMACNUT to run his 7950 GT with full QI/CE.

That's what I plan on doing once my new computer arrives :blink:

512MB cards are fully supported on a standard Apple machine.

I have heard many conflicting reports regarding why the cards do not work under the latest 10.4.8 seed.

Some say it is due to the Semthex Kernel not fully supporting the cards, which would mean that the issue will be fixed soon.

Some say it is a Titan / Natit problem.

The best thing to try is to get the latest re-seed, install and then update the Semthex Kernel to the very latest version, drop the Titan kext in without modifying it and see what happens.

Apparantely this allowed OriginalMACNUT to run his 7950 GT with full QI/CE.

That's what I plan on doing once my new computer arrives :)

Ok, so does anyone with a 7950 GT has really managed to run it with full QI/CE with Natit ?

I totally crashed my osx installation with my attempts to fix this, so I wait for someone who managed to do it.

So DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION ??? (maybe a guru developper of natit ?)

No solution here.

I'm on a 7900gto, when I install Natit Darwin tells me in verbosity mode that it detected the 'Geforce 7900 gt/gto', but afterwards I get the error message: kext_watch_volumes: couldn't set up diskarb sessions.

Afterwards, I just get a blackscreen.

Yep, I used this auto-kernel installer script right before applying natit - sudo /script.sh, went through the installer, reboot, installed natit - still no joy. It detects the card and everything seems to be fine at first, but then it hangs at the diskarb thing (couldn't set up diskarb sessions) and it blackscreens after a while.

Haven't heard of anyone else getting a Geforce 512mb card working, so I really think that's what's causing the trouble.

One thing I've seen said to fix this problem is changing the graphics memory size in yoru bios to 128 MB if you can. Some bios's hide this option, apparently you need to hit CTRL+F1 to get the hidden option. It's helped some, just passing on the info.

I'm still stuck with my 6800GT not working QE/CI, I fear it's because my system is only SSE2 and I can not use 8.8.1 kernel. :(

Yep, I used this auto-kernel installer script right before applying natit - sudo /script.sh, went through the installer, reboot

Not to beat a dead horse, but the installer has changed over time. If you have an older one, it might not have installed the latest kernel.

In Terminal or in single-user mode, type: uname -a

This will give you the compile date for the kernel you have installed.

The latest kernel (beta8) is dated: Nov 27 at 18:58

Not to beat a dead horse, but the installer has changed over time. If you have an older one, it might not have installed the latest kernel.

No no no, I'm glad you guys are trying to figure this out with me!

In Terminal or in single-user mode, type: uname -a

This will give you the compile date for the kernel you have installed.

The latest kernel (beta8) is dated: Nov 27 at 18:58

Oh, mine is: Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Thu Nov 16 21:19:02 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

I'll try the new installer now and see if it'll work, but I'm quite pessimistic about that at this point.

Okay, tried it again with the new kernel, to no avail I'm afraid - same thing happened again, detects the gpu, the diskarb errors occur and it goes to a black screen.

Have you modified the Geforce.kext with your device id? It is setup to accept all possible Nvidia device id's, but if you have an Nvidia disk controller, it gets confused and attaches to that (ie diskarb errors).

Change this string: 0x000010de&0x0000ffff

to: 0xNNNN10de

where NNNN is your device id for your card.

Tried that as well now - I changed the string value from 0x000010de&0x0000ffff to 0x029110de.

But no joy. If I delete the Natit.kext, OSX boots up without a problem, but as soon as I install Natit, I get the diskarb problem + the blackscreen (and then I have to repair the permissions, thanks to macdrive), it's quite annoying.

It shows me the device id, it shows me that it detected the card, but right after that, I get the diskarb error messages. So I don't know what's causing the trouble here.

I've added a couple of links to Natit - follow the Video link in my signature and read Natit.

I did just that. I still think it's a problem with the 512mb card, since I always blackscreen, no matter what I do. I now followed spanakorizo instructions, throwing out all the ATI kexts and just leaving the 3 nvidia kexts, while editing all their IOPCIMatch strings (in Windows through Macdrive, edited with Wordpad, but that shouldn't make a difference, right?) and the thing won't boot up anymore. As I did that, it hang at the NVDANV40Hal.kext already, following the diskarb loop and telling me that diskarb isn't ready yet, followed by 'we'll try again soon' - and then, it just blackscreens.

The annoying thing here is that, as soon as I have to make a hard-reset, the partitions won't work in Windows anymore, they'll be set to read-only. So I always have to boot up the OSX Installer Disk, using that one to repair the permissions, so that Macdrive will recognize the disks as read/write again. That really takes a long time to do, since the installer disk takes a huge chunk of time to boot and I have to do that every single time I try to boot with Natit.

I really can't figure out the problem here, I dunno why this diskarb error always occurs or what that actually means. And the blackscreen is driving me insane, I even tried to switch the D-SUB to the other port of the GPU, but again to no avail. Help would be appreciated, even though I really think that it's the 512mb card that's fishy here.

One thing I've seen said to fix this problem is changing the graphics memory size in yoru bios to 128 MB if you can. Some bios's hide this option, apparently you need to hit CTRL+F1 to get the hidden option. It's helped some, just passing on the info.

I'm still stuck with my 6800GT not working QE/CI, I fear it's because my system is only SSE2 and I can not use 8.8.1 kernel. :(

CTRL+F1 is for Gigabyte motherboards only.

I am not aware of being able to change the graphics card memory size, the only thing I believe you can change is the Aperture size, which has nothing to do with the total memory.

Ok, so does anyone with a 7950 GT has really managed to run it with full QI/CE with Natit ?

I totally crashed my osx installation with my attempts to fix this, so I wait for someone who managed to do it.

So DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION ??? (maybe a guru developper of natit ?)

The guy tried it with the Titan kext, not with the Natit installer.

Anyways, I'll give it a go tonight with my BFG GeForce 7950 GX2 and see what happens.

I have no idea if the problem is to do with the Titan kext or the Semthex kernel, but I'll make sure I'm running the very latest of both when I test.

Yep, I got the same problem...

Hardware is Core 2 Duo E6400, Palit GeForce 7900 GT Sonic with 512M...

I installed JaS 10.4.8, added Titan module from http://x86osx.com/bbs/data/pds/titan.zip, followed instructions @ http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...nstall_Titan.3F... but after reboot Mac OS X crashed into black screen and prompts me to restart comp..

Any suggestions?

P.S. - When I tried to install MacVidia's 10.4.8 - driver had successfully recognized my video-device, but the 'over-resolution' problem took place there... I still puzzle 'bout this...

Anybody help!

For the record and for those who've wondered, I have a Quadro FX4500 (the common PC BIOS version, not the EFI/MacPro version), and it fails the same as all the others:

Panic on first install.

Black screen if I disable GeForce.kext.

I have added my device ID to all possibly relevant kexts (though I have no other NVIDIA components, so I'm not sure it would matter), tried mifki and semthex, tried Natit_1.0.pkg, as well as Natit_edited.kext and Natit_ATIauto.kext.

In all cases, it seems, the device is recognized but does not work.

Also, like others, it is recognized by name, but as having 256mb VRAM in System Profiler (in VESA mode).

(And this is on a Core 2/965p machine -- nothing lacking SSE2/3 or anything.)

Yep, I got the same problem...

Hardware is Core 2 Duo E6400, Palit GeForce 7900 GT Sonic with 512M...

I installed JaS 10.4.8, added Titan module from http://x86osx.com/bbs/data/pds/titan.zip, followed instructions @ http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...nstall_Titan.3F... but after reboot Mac OS X crashed into black screen and prompts me to restart comp..

Any suggestions?

P.S. - When I tried to install MacVidia's 10.4.8 - driver had successfully recognized my video-device, but the 'over-resolution' problem took place there... I still puzzle 'bout this...

Anybody help!

did you add a device id? if you did, try just dropping the kext in without any device id modifications.

did you add a device id? if you did, try just dropping the kext in without any device id modifications.

No I did not... Manual did not suppose to add id... But I found my own mistake: i had downloaded titan.zip having a size 16 385 Bytes, but at titan's official site it has 25 724... maybe I just used an older version of kext...

So I'll do an attempt to remove already installed older version, thanks)

I'll report, holding my fingers)