Safari hangs computer on some videos

frnic

40 posts in this topic

This maybe a Safari issue with even real Mac's, but occasionally when browsing I run into a site with an autoplay video and Safari will hang and the hardware becomes none responsive and requires a reboot. 

Am I alone on this problem? Is there a work around other than using Chrome or Firefox?

Frank

This maybe a Safari issue with even real Mac's, but occasionally when browsing I run into a site with an autoplay video and Safari will hang and the hardware becomes none responsive and requires a reboot. 

Am I alone on this problem? Is there a work around other than using Chrome or Firefox?

Frank

Hi Frank, it is sufficient if you describe your problem only once, avoid double posting or tripple posting, please delete the other!
look in detail in your DiagnosticReports, or install the EtreCheck.app. It can help to locate the trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I never had issues before with past versions of os (10.10/11) but with sierra i never managed. Chrome is perfect, just safari hangs.

I have an r9 290, Haswell and gigabyte z87-ud3h with dual monitor configuration. Kexts and everything inherited from past versions.

I am beginning to think it is Quicktime and not Safari. I had it do the same thing the other day when I went to listen to an audio file. I expect (wonder?) if Safari uses Quicktime for audio in the video playback and some videos use an audio format that gives quicktime indigestion. 

this is very frustrating!! i cannot use safari, today, internet is only garbage... Every site has aggressive video ads... I have this problem 5-6 times a day!! Now, i'm using chrome, but there must be a solution! But at the moment, i can't find it... I will post a solution if i'll find something 

Frank

Hi, no you're not the only one one I suspect .

I'm having the same and it only crashes on Safari . ( Sierra GM )

Maybe the sliverlight plug-in  ?????

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

it is a problem with the adobe flash player!

First update the adobe flash player!

Then you have to go to the Safari settings/security and then go to the plugin settings and enable the adobe flash player for all websites.

This should fix this problem!

Hi,

it is a problem with the adobe flash player!

First update the adobe flash player!

Then you have to go to the Safari settings/security and then go to the plugin settings and enable the adobe flash player for all websites.

This should fix this problem!

I have tried and it works!

Thank you very much!

Nope, not a problem with Adobe Player, I don't have that installed. 

I am going to try disabling my onBoard video (Intel 4400?) and see if that helps.

The problem in the embedded video HD 4600.

This appears to have fixed my problem. I turned off the embedded video and was unable to duplicate the problem after going to many of the sites that normally would have hung my system. If you don't see a followup saying otherwise, you can assume this works for me.

Thank you very much JohnI

Frank

Nope, not a problem with Adobe Player, I don't have that installed. 

I am going to try disabling my onBoard video (Intel 4400?) and see if that helps.

This appears to have fixed my problem. I turned off the embedded video and was unable to duplicate the problem after going to many of the sites that normally would have hung my system. If you don't see a followup saying otherwise, you can assume this works for me.

Thank you very much JohnI

Frank

How did you made this? 

For those that are not aware, you can turn off the onboard video in your motherboards bios options (normally). Hit the bios setup key while powering up, on mine it's DEL on yours it could be a different key like F2 or F12. Once in the bios settings look for peripherals and one hard video - it will have the option to enable or disable it.

I`m having the same problem. I`m not sure what else to try. I already installed the flash and enable on all website and same thing as soon as video start it freeze my whole computer.

Firefox and chrome work ok. Problem it`s only with safari.

I have a AMD r9 280 so the HD4600 is not the issue, i`m on desktop and Intergated graphic card is disable since ever.

I was having similar issues. With an AMD HD6850, I had all kinds of strange Safari rendering issues, where randomly sized rectangles would end up blank on pages, or pages would load very slowly. Swapped to a 270x and I started getting freezes. Since the issues occur with both AMD and Intel video, I suspect the rendering engine in Safari 10 is more reliant on the GPU and has exposed a bunch of bugs in the video drivers. I hope that 10.12.1 and 10.12.2 fix many of them. The bugs may be related to decoding protected video content.

• Like 1

Thanks Johnl. Do these patches disable hardware acceleration (with consequent impact on playback performance) besides encryption?

Enough of this patch, but will have to sacrifice sleep.

AppleIntelFramebufferAzul (10.11.6 и 10.12):
48 89 8B A8 00 00 00 -> 90 90 90 90 90 90 90