Can only boot with NV_Disable=1 (tried everything) Skylake, 10.11.4, gtx 970

14 posts in this topic

Hi all I'm problems with my machine today. Previously this was a smooth running Skylake machine on 10.11.4 with a GTX 970. I've done some extensive troubleshooting and still can't get video acceleration to work.

Randomly the other day while browsing the web, the computer monitor just blanked out on me and the monitor went to sleep. Then I wouldn't be able to boot into the Machine as the monitor would turn off half way through the booting process.

I'm was finally able to boot by passing the nv_disable=1 flag but then my 970 wouldn't be recognized and I'd have zero graphics acceleration.

I played around with a few things. Updated to 10.11.5 with the latest Nvidia drivers and am still having the same issue.

Currently I can only boot with the nv_disable=1 flag with zero graphics acceleration. If I don't include this flag the booting process goes halfway then the monitor sleeps.

I've tried multiple system definitions from iMac 17,1, 15,1 14,2 MacPro 6,1 4,1 3,1

I've tried the Pike AGDPfix

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest nvidia web drivers

I even thought there was a chance my video card was busted so I booted into windows and everything works perfectly. 

I also tried to switch back to using the integrated graphics by plugging my HDMI cable into my integrated HDMI port (which used to work) but now I can't even see my bios screen when I'm on integrated graphics. No idea what the problem is. 

I'm not sure what to try next. Any help is much appreciated.

Here's a link to my clover config

Remove any wifi kext and dsdt

Try it

hi...

I suggest, after you boot with nv_disable=1, and after instal nvidia driver for the 10.11.5,   reboot with flag "nvda_drv=1", instead of the nv_disable...

if you didn't yet...

c.frio

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What you are missing probably is the modification to the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Context/Plugins/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist 

and then rebuilding the kernel cache.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/os-x-mavericks-10-9-3-build-13d55-seeded/ 

Specifically,

Changes

I had to change a plist to get past a ‘boot hang’ – black screen in single user-mode – like before:

/S*/L*/E*/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/C*/P*/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/C*/Info.plist

<key>ConfigMap</key>
<dict>
    <key>Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6</key>
    <string>none</string>
</dict>

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache
-system-cache

to rebuild the cache.

So:

1. Edit the plist, modify the string for your specific board-ID to none (for Mac-F42C88C8)

2. Rebuild the kext cache

3. Reboot with nvda_drv=1

Please re-download and install the latest version of the Retail Drivers for Mac OS X. If they do not work then install a older release for the same version of OS X for example 10.11.5 has 3. Use MacPro 3,1 for testing. 

What you are missing probably is the modification to the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Context/Plugins/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist 

and then rebuilding the kernel cache.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/os-x-mavericks-10-9-3-build-13d55-seeded/ 

Specifically,

Changes

I had to change a plist to get past a ‘boot hang’ – black screen in single user-mode – like before:

/S*/L*/E*/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/C*/P*/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/C*/Info.plist

<key>ConfigMap</key>
<dict>
    <key>Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6</key>
    <string>none</string>
</dict>

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-cache

to rebuild the cache.

So:

1. Edit the plist, modify the string for your specific board-ID to none (for Mac-F42C88C8)

2. Rebuild the kext cache

3. Reboot with nvda_drv=1

This is not needed as he is using MacPro 3,1 as shown in the Clover config file. 

Same here with a GTX 950. Can't boot with Nvidia driver installed and nvda_drv=1 boot flag. It just reboots when going into the second stage boot. It boots fine with no flag or with flag nv_disable=1. But of course...that means it defaults to the OS X driver, and also means no acceleration.

I have a GTX 970 working with Clover on 10.11.5. 

After booting with nv_disable=1, install nVIDIA Web drivers for your version of OS X. Upon rebooting you will have a black screen. I think the kext cache or something similar needs to be rebuilt - what I do is, I boot clover from a USB drive and remove a non-critical kext, boot, make sure graphics is working add the kext back and then reboot.

Ideally, there is a command to force a rebuild of the kext caches but this works for now.

Boot into single user mode: 

To fix an unbootable system via Terminal:
## check the filesystem
1. fsck -fy
## mount root partition as read-writeable
2. mount -uw /
## rebuild kernel cache
3. touch /System/Library/Extensions && kextcache -u /
4. reboot

• 1 month later...

Same here with a GTX 950. Can't boot with Nvidia driver installed and nvda_drv=1 boot flag. It just reboots when going into the second stage boot. It boots fine with no flag or with flag nv_disable=1. But of course...that means it defaults to the OS X driver, and also means no acceleration.

I'm aware this thread is old and wasn't sure you found a solid solution. Just to chime in, I had a similar issue as you did. 

What I did to fix it was I added cpus=1 in the boot arguments in Clover config.plist.

This is what I use to access 10.11 with my GTX 960:

SMBIOS: iMac14,2

Boot arguments: dart=0 nv_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 cpus=1

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, becker666 said:

I've seen this issue since Mavericks with the NVDIA , lots of suggestions but they only worked partially. I'll try these long set of switches &see if it helps

Try to check the box for NvidiaWeb in your config (System Parameters section) and make sure you have at least some kind of fix for the NVRAM. I would suggest using either OsXAptioFix3Drv.efi OR AptioMemoryFix.efi driver. Not both. Just one of them.

And if you have EmuVariableUefi.efi, you can remove it.

Also, SIP needs to be enabled at the time of the installation, if I remember correctly (I haven't used Nvidia drivers in a while). You can disable it later on.

Edited by arsradu