OS X is only recognizing half of my RAM.

Wowfunhappy

42 posts in this topic

While I never ran memtest, I know that the extra ram was working because Dolphin is able to load far more custom textures into memory. I'm going to try memtest now.

Edit: Huh, memtest DOES seem to be acting strange. It refuses to test more than 1200 mb—anything more than that it says is "too large"—but there should be several gigabytes free according to activity monitor.

All tests pass, but given that it's only testing memory regions below the 4gb marker, I'm not sure what that tells us.

(I'm using the command line version of memtest)

Edit2: Booted into single user mode and ran memtest there. It was able to test nearly all of my 8GB and all tests passed without issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

slice

same here... 

S5520hc motherboard with dual l5640s

looking at the clover boot log at the beginning when its loading the tables all 12 sticks of my ddr3 4gb ECC ram is detected

later in the boot log I think during spd.. it only enumerates 6

in system profiler is shows only 6 slots and 24gb out of 12 sticks and 48gb....

I have tried trust.. and both on this board and on my Dx58so clover always goes 'not trusting as bla bla reported different even though what clover picked up looked right to me..

hopefully this gets fixed...

having other issues with the dual l5640s on the s5520hc motherboard.. trying Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1 system definitions and having issues getting power management correct.. any hits help or hacks to fix this welcome!!!

• 4 weeks later...

memtest recognizes my RAM as far as I can tell, and a few frustrating boots ago, I got the System to read my Crucial 2x8GB 2133 DDR4 DIMMs using the Clover Configurator fix above (I inserted the generated <key>Memory</key> entry into my config.plist via textedit). After a few more hiccups during my install, I have a stable boot of 10.11.4, and now no matter which of those values I change, (memory or test) the system profiler still sees 2 DIMMs at 4GB each (8GB total) and 3200Mhz. Like I said memtest sees all the RAM, and it checks out okay, but Photoshop has this weird issue when I try to change performance settings, and I think it's because my system doesn't have the proper RAM profile. I don't know, I'm at a loss. I guess this may be more of a Photoshop/CUDA/NVidia issue, but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere. The joys of hackintosh :) What would adding manual entries into the <key>Slots</key> part of SMBIOS do? I'm not really clear on how to use that.

• 1 month later...

I have Crucial 16 GB and my system (Gigabyte MB) showed only a half (system information and memtest). I add two records with 8 GB items in Clover's SMBIOS section and after that system information and memtest shows 16 GB. Good luck! 

post-1721225-0-95802700-1468007244_thumb.jpg

post-1721225-0-37877100-1468009164.png

Thanks onx! I forgot to post that I solved my issue...after combing through all the boards, I realized I had added the records in the SMBIOS section of the Clover config.plist with ONE little extra </dict> where it shouldn't have been. Remove that, reboot, vóila! Totally worked. Coincidentally, that also solved a really weird bug with Photoshop: Couldn't get graphics acceleration to work with the program because it depended on the System Profiler for information about memory allocation, anytime I selected the "Performance" Tab under Preferences>General, an error message would come up with a negative reading of the number of pages of memory available to the system.

As my friend in IT says, "It's always something stupid." *sigh* Syntax  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Guys yesterday I've done my first mackintosh, so far I've high rpm fan speed and thid ram problem discussed on this post. I've tried to manually add the ram modules in clover configurator, I've saved the config file into the EFI partition and after rebooted the clover boot GUI had changed and it wouldn't allow me to boot. It appears the Apple but without the loading bar under it. I've tried to control even the command in the clover option at the boot nvda_drv=1 ecc.. no way to log in ... Only with the rescue key make with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] I was able to boot into the system, and it doesn't have any Nvidia web drivers load in. In a few world after doing this procedure I wouldn't been able to boot straight from the SSD in which the system was, and I had to reinstall everything from the beginning... Should someone text point by point what to do to solve this problem ? Actually I'm running a 16gb 2x8 ddr4 corsair ram into a gigabyte z170n gaming 5 it moba. Thabk for the help.

PS on system info about this Mac it says I've 4 modules with 2x4 GB ram modules

Instead as I said I've got 2 modules of 8gb which are mounted on an itx moba

Guys yesterday I've done my first mackintosh, so far I've high rpm fan speed and thid ram problem discussed on this post. I've tried to manually add the ram modules in clover configurator, I've saved the config file into the EFI partition and after rebooted the clover boot GUI had changed and it wouldn't allow me to boot. It appears the Apple but without the loading bar under it. I've tried to control even the command in the clover option at the boot nvda_drv=1 ecc.. no way to log in ... Only with the rescue key make with ##### I was able to boot into the system, and it doesn't have any Nvidia web drivers load in. In a few world after doing this procedure I wouldn't been able to boot straight from the SSD in which the system was, and I had to reinstall everything from the beginning... Should someone text point by point what to do to solve this problem ? Actually I'm running a 16gb 2x8 ddr4 corsair ram into a gigabyte z170n gaming 5 it moba. Thabk for the help.

PS on system info about this Mac it says I've 4 modules with 2x4 GB ram modules

Instead as I said I've got 2 modules of 8gb which are mounted on an itx moba

So can you boot into your system currently? And is your problem with the RAM being recognized, or NVidia graphics acceleration not working?

Personally, I didn't use Clover Configurator for my .plist, because unless you fill it out COMPLETELY it doesn't fill in Kexts to patch, etc. I just added the entries for things I needed manually to the config.plist in the EFI>EFI>CLOVER directory (also, once you get a working .plist file, I'd save a backup copy right next to it called backup.plist, just in case you mess with it and can't boot, you can point Clover at the backup file to boot from)

So can you boot into your system currently? And is your problem with the RAM being recognized, or NVidia graphics acceleration not working?

Personally, I didn't use Clover Configurator for my .plist, because unless you fill it out COMPLETELY it doesn't fill in Kexts to patch, etc. I just added the entries for things I needed manually to the config.plist in the EFI>EFI>CLOVER directory (also, once you get a working .plist file, I'd save a backup copy right next to it called backup.plist, just in case you mess with it and can't boot, you can point Clover at the backup file to boot from)

In the bios I see 16 gb of ram on the OS X I see 8 gb the weird thing is that OS X seems to see 2 of 4 banks of 4 gb dimm slots, instead I had actually 2x8gb ddr4 ram for a total amount of 16 gb , actually I'm managing with the gigabyte z170n gaming 5 so it's an itx board, which of course had only 2 slots, not 4 as OS X show me... I'll attach some screenshots.

I can boot normally, no problem with any other peripherals, only this ram problem. 

post-1756290-0-38103600-1469091065_thumb.png

post-1756290-0-03483000-1469091066_thumb.png

post-1756290-0-93528400-1469091066_thumb.png

Yep, that's the same thing that kept happening to me  :)

Open a terminal and mount your EFI partition using

diskutil list

to see the names of the Volumes on your system—disk0s0, disk0s1, etc.

and then

diskutil mount ...

replacing the '...' with the name of your EFI partition. Go into EFI>EFI>CLOVER and open your config.plist in TextEdit

Scroll down (or ⌘F, search) to <key>SMBIOS</key> and follow the format found here to manually insert your Memory module info under that section.

You can specify the number of slots, and you don't have to enter in a part number or serial number as long as you put <string>Unknown</string>. Save your .plist, exit and reboot—Let me know if that solves your problem.

Yep, that's the same thing that kept happening to me :)

Open a terminal and mount your EFI partition using

diskutil list
to see the names of the Volumes on your system—disk0s0, disk0s1, etc.

and then

diskutil mount ...
replacing the '...' with the name of your EFI partition. Go into EFI>EFI>CLOVER and open your config.plist in TextEdit

Scroll down (or ⌘F, search) to <key>SMBIOS</key> and follow the format found here to manually insert your Memory module info under that section.

You can specify the number of slots, and you don't have to enter in a part number or serial number as long as you put <string>Unknown</string>. Save your .plist, exit and reboot—Let me know if that solves your problem.

at the end I got it via clover configurator , I don't know what happened the two times I've tried before, but it worked as I've chosen dual channel and setted 8gb each slot and it had worked ! Thank you for your support ! Now I've got a fully and rocking hackintosh :D

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Clover reported Memory to system only in SMBIOS. It is not cosmetic, it is all.

Yes.

However, I'm having trouble with the channels and hope you can help me.

I set it to quad channel on the clover SMBIOS (it's an X99 Matx - gigabyte with 2 slots each side of the cpu) and it only recognises 2 slots (16mb). Here's the thing - my Geekbench score is 22,407 with these settings.

I set it to dual channel or single channel and it shows the full 4 slots and 32mb. My Geekbench drops to 18343. A 20% performance drop.

edit: cinebench 15 swings the other way - a bit better on dual channel with 32gb (1281) It's still not great for this cpu though...

Geekbench seems all over the place with scores. Depends on the way I hold my mouth... Now it's 22194 on dual channel.

I want it to be 32gb and 22,407, what am I doing wrong??? The slot count is 4 and I haven't changed that.

So after the edit another question. What causes these variations in speed after reboots. Sometimes I get 980ish on CB and other times 1490! My windows gets me 1800.

As an aside I managed to run my nano (under water and max 45deg) on all compute units, no igpu or helper card (I did the bios fix on the card) for a Geekbench of 155,977 :)

My 5960 is overclocked to 4.6 at 2.8 volts and really stable, but only getting to 70deg, whereas on the PC it goes faster and hotter on the same settings. I might start another thread for this...

So I'm nearly there for a really nice computer.