(SUCCESS) El Capitan 10.11 on Surface Pro 3 i5 (Chris111 install, LonelyTV files)

MeuPRodrigo

77 posts in this topic

hey did you try to update to sierra?

also any news about microphone or trackpad?

Not much progress has been done actually

Currently I don't want to upgrade my working machine, because SmoothMouse no longer works on 10.12

If there's no alternate solution I might just stay with 10.11 or revert my main works to Windows 10

I'm sorry but an OS without proper input is not an ideal OS for me

Currently I don't want to upgrade my working machine, because SmoothMouse no longer works on 10.12

If there's no alternate solution I might just stay with 10.11 or revert my main works to Windows 10

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/wip-voodooi2c-i2c-trackpad-limited-support.204227/

try this for touch screen

• 3 weeks later...

updated to sierra

got full audio+microphone working with voodoo 2.89 no need for mirone

dont use any less version than that

can you tell me how you fixed cameras

both cameras are detected under usb 3 devices but dont work

everything is working in sierra except cameras now

updated to sierra

got full audio+microphone working with voodoo 2.89 no need for mirone

dont use any less version than that

can you tell me how you fixed cameras

both cameras are detected under usb 3 devices but dont work

everything is working in sierra except cameras now

For me VoodooHDA is just a work around, not a real solution

From what I've experienced on Yosemite, VoodooHDA doesn't works on SP3's headphone jack

And the sound from built-in speaker is low and lame

The mic does work but no audio jack is a worse situation for me

Recently from what I've leared the mic doesn't work on ALC288 with AppleHDA might be caused by the wrong layout-id

Well, not to be called wrong, just not the best for alc288

The file I released is using 3 for layout-id

And the way I patched it is actually wrong too, but it ended up works just becasue I got the workable combination

For people still using my file, I suggest to revert back to original AppleHDA

And leave aDummyHDA.kext in S/L/E

Add kexttopatch patch written in \MironeAudio\10ec0288\274.12\Clover\config.plist to your Clover

Then remove any other audio kexts or patch from your system

This way, your system will be much cleaner and easier to patch after future OS update

Or

If you want your system 100% clean and has audio working even from the begining of the OS installation

You can use AppleALC, which is the best solution so far I know

The methos is even easier than AppleHDA patcher

Just throw the kext into your Clover and set the layout-id suggested on the github

For me VoodooHDA is just a work around, not a real solution

From what I've experienced on Yosemite, VoodooHDA doesn't works on SP3's headphone jack

And the sound from built-in speaker is low and lame

The mic does work but no audio jack is a worse situation for me

Recently from what I've leared the mic doesn't work on ALC288 with AppleHDA might be caused by the wrong layout-id

Well, not to be called wrong, just not the best for alc288

The file I released is using 3 for layout-id

And the way I patched it is actually wrong too, but it ended up works just becasue I got the workable combination

For people still using my file, I suggest to revert back to original AppleHDA

And leave aDummyHDA.kext in S/L/E

Add kexttopatch patch written in \MironeAudio\10ec0288\274.12\Clover\config.plist to your Clover

Then remove any other audio kexts or patch from your system

This way, your system will be much cleaner and easier to patch after future OS update

Or

If you want your system 100% clean and has audio working even from the begining of the OS installation

You can use AppleALC, which is the best solution so far I know

The methos is even easier than AppleHDA patcher

Just throw the kext into your Clover and set the layout-id suggested on the github

for me headphone+mic work

even system mic 

and the speakers are loud enough for me(use voodoo preference pane from settings)

AppleHDA patching takes too long

anyways my point was how did you fix the cameras

thats the only thing thats bugging me

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So yes, finally, I've fixed the mic that I thought I would never get to work

Turns out Mirone's patch for ALC288 has wrong Mic node config number

Now I can say we have Surface Pro 3's audio fully working here

Speaker、Audio jack、Mic all done with native AppleHDA

And the best thing is you'll never lose it after update(Unless Apple does some crazy change in the future) and have audio working even from the beginning of installation.

If you are using my files I previously uploaded, remove all the audio patches

L/E/adummyHDA.kext

Clover "kext to patch" patches

Clover/kext/OSversion/HDAEnabler.kext

Most important:Restore original AppleHDA and rebuild cache with KextUtility or whatever you prefer to use

All you need to do last is just extract the file attached to Clover/kext/OSversion and inject "3" to Clover/Devices/Audio

That's it, you should have your audio fully working!!

If you think those process above is too confusing tt you, I can update my full Clover again anyway

Anyway, the mic on SP3 really took me months to complete, glad I eventually done it:)

Surface Pro 3 Audio fully fix.zip

• Like 4

Alright, I've found the way to make VoodooI2C(Touch) works too.

Extract the following file I attached and read the guide in it.

Remember right now putting VoodooI2C into Clover or L/E will most likely results into kernel panic during boot up. I've also included a method ii in the guide, use it if you wish to have VoodooI2C loaded automatically when boot up.

VoodooI2C.zip

• Like 2

I've got everything running pretty well on my setups.  I just added multitouch support to a branch of VoodooI2C and it seems to be working well.  Single press and hold for right click, two finger scrolling, 3 and 4 finger gestures etc. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5pY1koCM0Msa3F0QXdpbzBYYWc/view?usp=sharing

Also use a dsdt battery patch I PR'd to with Rehab's ACPI battery kext and should be upstream in his battery patch repo.

Working on acpi lid closed events, rotation sensors and buttons.  Might look at making a new typecover kext w/ two finger scrolling support too.

Just feeling like sharing...Hope some peepz find it useful. :D 

• Like 1

I've got everything running pretty well on my setups.  I just added multitouch support to a branch of VoodooI2C and it seems to be working well.  Single press and hold for right click, two finger scrolling, 3 and 4 finger gestures etc. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5pY1koCM0Msa3F0QXdpbzBYYWc/view?usp=sharing

Also use a dsdt battery patch I PR'd to with Rehab's ACPI battery kext and should be upstream in his battery patch repo.

Working on acpi lid closed events, rotation sensors and buttons.  Might look at making a new typecover kext w/ two finger scrolling support too.

Just feeling like sharing...Hope some peepz find it useful. :D

I must be dreaming but...Jesus is that you?!!!

Multi Gesture support on screen and trackpad were things I never expected to work on our SP3 but you just said you've already finished one and might work on another in the future?

Man, I can't be more excited but I'll have to wait till tomorrow since I left my SP3 at school.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work! Hope we'll have rest of those parts fixed soon!!

For realz.  Working on some smoother scrolling and looking at adding some additional gestures.  Was thinking on 10 finger detection open the on-screen keyboard.  Some of the other guys at VoodooI2C have implemented similar with a 5 finger swipe.  There is a bit more work that needs to be done before these sp3 changes get merged upstream though and so might be a lil ways out.

The good news is the refactoring work ties directly to accessing the sensor hub enumeration.  An that includes the compass, gyro, accelerometer, ambient light and rotation sensors.  Technically speaking the custom dsdt already enables the acpi lid switch and you can access/monitor it via acpi events.  Think its likely a small dsdt patch to link that event  to the power management to get sleep working on typecover close events.

The hardware buttons still need to be enumerated and last I checked, they were gpio monitored pins with either spi or i2c base device that still needs to be enumerated so hopefully that comes together with all this too.  

I can't claim credit for this though.  Alex, Coolstar, Blankmac, Rehabman and everyone else chipping in on these forums, even if just a little bit, goes a long ways.  If you do try out that driver, feedback is appreciated.  I'll be tweaking things over the next few weeks and can see about whatever fixes are needed.

Oh, also trying to figure out a way to get clover to load without the typecover attached.  As in use it fully tablet mode.  If you didn't know, you can enable the firmware level on-screen keyboard that works in both grub and clover but so far clover chainloads to a blank screen if you launch it without the typecover attached.  At least thats been my experience.  So I dumped my dsdt via linux w/o the typecover and was hoping that would help but, maybe an issue specific to clover or one of its settings???

These really are crazy good lil laptops though.  Both the i5 and i7 models I've got seem way faster than the last macbook air I'd messed with. Cheers! 

For realz.  Working on some smoother scrolling and looking at adding some additional gestures.  Was thinking on 10 finger detection open the on-screen keyboard.  Some of the other guys at VoodooI2C have implemented similar with a 5 finger swipe.  There is a bit more work that needs to be done before these sp3 changes get merged upstream though and so might be a lil ways out.

The good news is the refactoring work ties directly to accessing the sensor hub enumeration.  An that includes the compass, gyro, accelerometer, ambient light and rotation sensors.  Technically speaking the custom dsdt already enables the acpi lid switch and you can access/monitor it via acpi events.  Think its likely a small dsdt patch to link that event  to the power management to get sleep working on typecover close events.

The hardware buttons still need to be enumerated and last I checked, they were gpio monitored pins with either spi or i2c base device that still needs to be enumerated so hopefully that comes together with all this too.  

I can't claim credit for this though.  Alex, Coolstar, Blankmac, Rehabman and everyone else chipping in on these forums, even if just a little bit, goes a long ways.  If you do try out that driver, feedback is appreciated.  I'll be tweaking things over the next few weeks and can see about whatever fixes are needed.

Oh, also trying to figure out a way to get clover to load without the typecover attached.  As in use it fully tablet mode.  If you didn't know, you can enable the firmware level on-screen keyboard that works in both grub and clover but so far clover chainloads to a blank screen if you launch it without the typecover attached.  At least thats been my experience.  So I dumped my dsdt via linux w/o the typecover and was hoping that would help but, maybe an issue specific to clover or one of its settings???

These really are crazy good lil laptops though.  Both the i5 and i7 models I've got seem way faster than the last macbook air I'd messed with. Cheers! 

Just tried the new driver and I have to say...actually not bad!!

So here's the working and non-working features I found:

Working:

Basic single touch&Scroll

Hold press then release=right click

Two fingers to scroll-Works but like you said, a bit rough

Three fingers up=Mission control

Three fingers down=App Expose

Not working:

Two fingers tap to right click

Double click to launch or zoom

Pinch to zoom

Two fingers spin

Two fingers from right edge=NC

Three fingers pinch=Launchpad

Three fingers split=Back to desktop

Still got more to work on to be a functional TouchScreen. But man, I'm feeling pretty hopeful after try these. Good job and please keep going!!!

====

By the way, is it common that battery icon shows as a "X" instead of percentage from time to time?

When it shows the percentage it is overall accurate though

The patches I applied are your DSDT patch and AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in Clover/kexts/10.12

If I did anything wrong or miss something please tell me, thanks!

Alright, I've found the way to make VoodooI2C(Touch) works too.

Extract the following file I attached and read the guide in it.

Remember right now putting VoodooI2C into Clover or L/E will most likely results into kernel panic during boot up. I've also included a method ii in the guide, use it if you wish to have VoodooI2C loaded automatically when boot up.

I use VoodooI2C in my /S/L/E no problem.  On occasion when you first load a new driver build you can see a kp on the initial boot but, rebooting back into OSX after that & w/o removing it, works just fine there after. Source: someone who has loaded hundreds of VoodooI2C.kext builds in their /S/L/E

Just tried the new driver and I have to say...actually not bad!!

So here's the working and non-working features I found:

Working:

Basic single touch&Scroll

Hold press then release=right click

Two fingers to scroll-Works but like you said, a bit rough

Three fingers up=Mission control

Three fingers down=App Expose

Not working:

Two fingers tap to right click

Double click to launch or zoom

Pinch to zoom

Two fingers spin

Two fingers from right edge=NC

Three fingers pinch=Launchpad

Three fingers split=Back to desktop

Still got more to work on to be a functional TouchScreen. But man, I'm feeling pretty hopeful after try these. Good job and please keep going!!!

====

By the way, is it common that battery icon shows as a "X" instead of percentage from time to time?

When it shows the percentage it is overall accurate though

The patches I applied are your DSDT patch and AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in Clover/kexts/10.12

If I did anything wrong or miss something please tell me, thanks!

No, nothing wrong.  The not working list is likely not going to happen unless you feel like adding those specific gestures into the VoodooI2C build.  They are not mapped to mimic apple's multitouch and were coded into a VoodooI2C module.  

That being said, it is somewhat straight forward to add additional swipes and gestures supporting up to 10 fingers. In the latest build of VoodooI2C in the link below, I've removed some of the scrolling roughness and dropped some of the excessive logging that is turned on by default in the main project and it seems to help quite a bit.

On the battery side, the level is reported via acpi and the kext uses that info to update the stats.  If you follow your console/syslog entries, you'll notice disconnect events coming in every time the x battery appears.  I was following a linux thread on what seemed like the issue as they also use acpi and can see what they are doing to fix it.  The about this mac System Info also shows some wild swings on the current/amp draw and its possible that the acpi values are either a firmware related issue or something that just wasn't used in the Win8.1/10 driver.  Either case, we should be able to build a new ACPIBattery.kext build from Rehabman's git repo and hard set the amps and /or have it ignore those specific disconnect events.  Overall, it seems to work well here though and I do get the low battery notifications and whatnot.  

I was digging into the buttons support last night to use Rehabman's ADB keyboard null driver by adding another binding acpi device and then updating the acpi _Q methods to send those adb events to mimic pressing power and volume on an apple keyboard etc. Made the needed changes but the acpi button press events are not getting emitted.  Pretty sure the devices need to be properly enumerated and live on i2c0.  Like sub devices of the SAM0 or possibly another bus.  Looking at some changes to the enum VoodooI2c currently does now and it should just be a matter of powering on the devices to allow for the events to be triggered so, we'll see.

Give this one a try:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5pY1koCM0Msa3F0QXdpbzBYYWc/view?usp=sharing //might need to select the latest version?

The new VoodooI2C does scroll smoother but with jitter.

And sometimes when you scroll faster the panel thinks you are using one finger and starts to select texts

Three fingers scroll through desktops works now

Thanks for the explain, at the end of the day if the battery works I'm fine with it, just sometimes when I play StarCraft2 the battery low warning pops up lol

• Like 1

Haven't got 2 finger scrolling working yet but have the next best thing using karabiner with modifier key scrolling.  Like holding the Alt(Option) key and thumbing across the typecover trackpad seems to work well.  Does require you to set the option and their are alot of options.  Def lowers the priority of getting scrolling working on the current IOUSBHIDDevice driver via typecover kext etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get the volume and power physical buttons to work.  Along with the windows button on the digitizer. Right now it works after warm rebooting from Windows.  From a cold boot its not working with no changes in between.  

Think it could either be Windows EC enables features and populates the mem registers or, my DSDT might have been extracted from a warm reboot and this is a side effect.  I extracted both warm and cool boots OSX data using DarwinDumper and diff'd across it which shows the difference in the device registers but, didn't see any differences to the dsl/aml.

I tied the EC Query events(_Qxx) to ADB keyboard commands using Rehabman's ADB keyboard and added a bit of debugging into the mix.  Hopefully I can get it all sorted soon as to get some more optomizations into the touchscreen driver too.

Will post my dsdt edits sometime soon.

• 1 month later...

The new VoodooI2C does scroll smoother but with jitter.

And sometimes when you scroll faster the panel thinks you are using one finger and starts to select texts

Three fingers scroll through desktops works now

Thanks for the explain, at the end of the day if the battery works I'm fine with it, just sometimes when I play StarCraft2 the battery low warning pops up lol

I installed the VoodooI2C to EFI/Clover/Kext folder and System/Library/Extension using Kext Utility. After that, I restart the surface. However, I don't see any thing new . I can not use touch screen and 2 finger scroll. Am I missing something here?

So yes, finally, I've fixed the mic that I thought I would never get to work

Turns out Mirone's patch for ALC288 has wrong Mic node config number

Now I can say we have Surface Pro 3's audio fully working here

Speaker、Audio jack、Mic all done with native AppleHDA

And the best thing is you'll never lose it after update(Unless Apple does some crazy change in the future) and have audio working even from the beginning of installation.

If you are using my files I previously uploaded, remove all the audio patches

L/E/adummyHDA.kext

Clover "kext to patch" patches

Clover/kext/OSversion/HDAEnabler.kext

Most important:Restore original AppleHDA and rebuild cache with KextUtility or whatever you prefer to use

All you need to do last is just extract the file attached to Clover/kext/OSversion and inject "3" to Clover/Devices/Audio

That's it, you should have your audio fully working!!

If you think those process above is too confusing tt you, I can update my full Clover again anyway

Anyway, the mic on SP3 really took me months to complete, glad I eventually done it:)

Can you upload your Clover  folder ? Are you on 10.12.5 now?

Hello kasobimail

here are a working version of my EFI-Folder running with macOS 10.12.5.

I followed the instruction from shasen1235 and got audio working without VoodooHDA or adummyHDA working.

mostly everything is working, also the audio via DockingStation from DP-Port of my Samsung Display.

The only problem is, that I can't control the volume from that DP-Port-Audio device.

not working

- wifi + bluetooth

- touch (I don't need that)

post-1874191-0-87934600-1499027859_thumb.png

thx to everyone to make that possible! 

EFI_macOS_10.12.5.zip

• Like 3

Hello kasobimail

I followed the instruction from shasen1235 and got audio working without VoodooHDA or adummyHDA working.

mostly everything is working, also the audio via DockingStation from DP-Port of my Samsung Display.

The only problem is, that I can't control the volume from that DP-Port-Audio device.

not working

- wifi + bluetooth

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-07-02 at 22.48.18.png

Thank you so much. I tried it, but I got kernel panic.

I think the reason is that I have used AppleHDA Patch to get AppleHDA.kext . I put that file on System/Library/Extensions. 

I have tried to get the native AppleHDA.kext by downloading and reinstalling Sierra 10.12.5, but I could not get the native one. I don't know why. 

Could you please upload that file for me? I need them.

By the way, how does the sound volume like? Is it as loud as on Windows?

And how did you make the 2-finger-scroll work on trackpad? Which kext do you use?

Thanks

Has anyone gotten around to get the sd card reader to work under Mac yet?  I've got the i3 version and its packing only 64gb. I've got a 128gb sd card I could use if I could use it to install Sierra. I don't wanna risk cracking open my sp3 and risking breaking the lcd in order to swap the msata to a higher capacity. Anyone with some good info, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Hello kasobimail

not working

- wifi + bluetooth

Hi Lee, 

I used your EFI folder. Here is what I got

- I can not change the screen brightness.

- Battery icon got an X icon inside.

Do you get those problems? 

Hello kasobimail

not working

- wifi + bluetooth

I used your zip package to install 10.12 then updated to 10.12.5. Can't seem to get my type cover to work. Is that issue for you?

Alright guys...guess what? Now we have headphone jack working!

The only thing need to solve is build-in speaker

I'm planning to release the files once I'm all done

Here are some pics, time to say goodbye to Yosemite and hello to El Capitan :P :P

attachicon.gif螢幕快照 2016-07-24 下午11.53.42.png

attachicon.gif螢幕快照 2016-07-24 下午11.53.07.png

======Edit 2016/7/25======

Woohoo~Now all the audio outputs are fixed!

Headphone jack----------working

Built-in Speakers---------working

Audio through HDMI-----working

I'll upload all the files after some organize

======Edit 2016/7/26======

Done!

Extract the rar and you will see an instruction and all the files you need

I've also included SD reader and backlight fix

Enjoy El Capitan on your SP3!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-wemM1jdciWOHoyQnlfdXJESmM/view?usp=sharing

tried to download this package, but it says it's infected with virus.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get my typecover keyboard to work. any ideas? 

Hello kasobimail

any chance you can upload the EFI folder again? Google isn't letting me download it because "it has a virus" ?

• 1 month later...

I can't get my typecover keyboard to work. any ideas? 

any chance you can upload the EFI folder again? Google isn't letting me download it because "it has a virus" ?

Best way to do that is to sign in to google drive, add to your drive, then get the google drive app for windows or mac and sync. Google drive app will sync/download copy onto the computer without the virus issue :)

Hello kasobimail

not working

- wifi + bluetooth

Thanks for the files! However, the graphics drivers have to be deleted that show another Intel graphics (I believe 5500 if im not mistaken) in order for the graphics not to distort at the task bar (ie: green apple, red apple, etc.). I have a surface pro 3 i5 and it uses Intel hd 4400.

Noticed that the sound works, BUUUUT, it stops working after you wake the computer from sleep. Any fix for this?

Last issue with these files is the battery icon keeps going to X randomly. Other than that, the computer is operating good so far. Forgot to mention I am on Sierra OSX 10.12.5.

Please advise, thanks!