Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan (UPDATE 07/11/2018)

716 posts in this topic

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this but it relates to the driver issue.

I have a MacPro Early 2009 3.2ghz 32gb ram (2x 16gb modules, 2 open memory slots).

It have 3 different drives, OS X 10.11.6, Windows 7 and Windows 10.
I replaced the ATI 5770 with the NVDIA 980. I didn’t flash it.  I moved the stock GT120 up one slot.
The new card works fine in MacOSX with the NVIDIA web driver 346.03.15f02 build 15G31 that

I found out about from this forum post but on both Windows nothing.  In Windows I installed version

341.95 but still nothing. windows driver update can’t activate the card so I’m left with a black screen.

Is there a specialized driver for Windows 7 or 10 like the Mac driver that I need to install instead?

Your help would be most appreciated.

cheers,
Lawrence

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this but it relates to the driver issue.

I have a MacPro Early 2009 3.2ghz 32gb ram (2x 16gb modules, 2 open memory slots).

It have 3 different drives, OS X 10.11.6, Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I replaced the ATI 5770 with the NVDIA 980. I didn’t flash it. I moved the stock GT120 up one slot.

The new card works fine in MacOSX with the NVIDIA web driver 346.03.15f02 build 15G31 that

I found out about from this forum postbut on both Windows nothing. In Windows I installed version

341.95 but still nothing.windows driver update can’t activate the card so I’m left with a black screen.

Is therea specialized driver for Windows 7 or 10 like the Mac driver that I need to install instead?

Your help would be most appreciated.

cheers,

Lawrence

In Windows you should get video output even without a driver installed. It would be basic 1024x768 output but it is enough to install the drivers if Windows doesn't do it for you after a few mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apple Security Update 2016-001 for 10.11.6 breaks NVIDIA web drivers (MP 5,1/GTX 970, but seems to be widespread) -- recommend waiting for driver update unless you're up to adding the new OS build to the plist file, etc.

[EDIT: reverting to WebDriver-346.03.15b01 worked]

• Like 1

Apple Security Update 2016-001 for 10.11.6 breaks NVIDIA web drivers (MP 5,1/GTX 970, but seems to be widespread) -- recommend waiting for driver update unless you're up to adding the new OS build to the plist file, etc.

[EDIT: reverting to WebDriver-346.03.15b01 worked]

Confirmed WebDriver 346.03.15b01 is working on my system after security update 2016-001 for 10.11.6 broke my NVIDIA web driver. For anyone who doesn't know, there is a download link for the installer for this on the first post in this thread. I have temporarily disabled the automatic update feature of my NVIDIA updater control panel until a new version of the web driver is available for this build.

post-985174-0-14350000-1472787278_thumb.jpg

post-985174-0-09190500-1472787287_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

I'm on 10.11.6 with with MacPro5,1 SMBIOS and the default OSX driver is working for my gtx 970. 

It wasn't working before, and I had to use the nvidia web driver. 

So I backed up to a time machine and installed OS Sierra DP, and installed the web driver beta 10.12, of course. The sound wasn't working so I reinstalled 10.11.6 and restored from that time machine back up earlier. And Now I just noticed the nvidia menu bar and preferences pane shows that i'm using the default OS X drivers. Can anyone explain this?

• 1 month later...

After updating to the latest Nvidia Web Drivers, I have black screen after the apple logo. GTX 960 on a iMac 13,1 SMBIOS. It worked with 15b01 drivers. I tried to go back to 15b01, but now it still shows black screen. I have nvda_drv=1 on my config.plist. 

Any help?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

You have to use new nvidia boot argument with Clover bootloader:

• Boot with nv_disable=1
  • Remove nvda_drv=1 from your config.plist and add the new:
    <key>NvidiaWeb</key>
    <true/>
    To System parameters
  • Make sure your board id is set to "none" in 
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  • Run:
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    sudo kextcache -system-caches
  • Like 2

You have to use new nvidia boot argument with Clover bootloader:

• Boot with nv_disable=1
  • Remove nvda_drv=1 from your config.plist and add the new:

<key>NvidiaWeb</key>

<true/>

To System parameters

• Make sure your board id is set to "none" in 

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

• Run:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

I had no board id lines on my AppleGraphicsControl. kext info.plist.

At every reboot, I have no high resolution (video card is not recognized and it shows 6mb of RAM) and the Nvidia panel in the upper right corner always shows "OS X default drivers".

I'm running El Capitan on my main machine.

Have you disable your IGPU in bios?

I just installed the new Clover bootloader and the new Nvidia Web Drivers. I didn't changed nothing more. I had a working El Capitan 10.11.6 before these two updates.

I just installed the new Clover bootloader and the new Nvidia Web Drivers. I didn't changed nothing more. I had a working El Capitan 10.11.6 before these two updates.

So I suggest you to install the drivers web with http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/474-nvidia®-webdriver-updaterapp/  and patched with the version of the OS