Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan (UPDATE 07/11/2018)

716 posts in this topic

@ninja89

no way to get optimus prime working under OS X neither with web drivers. 

mmh, is possible... but this depend by the bios: if you can disable the IGPU you can, otherwise no. Or the bios can be patched to unlok advances menu and then after, play with internal-discrete grhaphics setting. 

The second option is a big risk in a laptop..

• Like 1

we're talking about laptop - you simply can't.

the optimus feature requires integrated gpu (switching feature) - no recent laptops have this option enabled in bios (uefi) for a good reason.

now you can have recourse on a patched bios - I did it for my laptop aspire E1-771G... I have this option enabled but if I disable intel gpu, my laptop can no longer boot.

we're talking about laptop - you simply can't.

the optimus feature requires integrated gpu (switching feature) - no recent laptops have this option enabled in bios (uefi) for a good reason.

now you can have recourse on a patched bios - I did it for my laptop aspire E1-771G... I have this option enabled but if I disable intel gpu, my laptop can no longer boot.

Right, in an Optimus configuration, the discrete GPU has no physical connection to the display.  The display is always driven by the integrated GPU.

#3678             :P

Who say that? The wire is the gpu soldered in the CPU die...

My Notebook has NVIDIA enabled, drivers loaded.... simply the Display is not connected (ACPI) related.

Optimus works by driving all displays via the Intel iGPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus

Optimus avoids usage of a hardware multiplexer and prevents glitches associated with changing the display driver from IGP to GPU by transferring the display surface from the GPU frame buffer over the PCI Express bus to the main memory-based framebuffer used by the IGP. The Optimus Copy Engine is a new alternative to traditional DMA transfers between the GPU framebuffer memory and main memory used by the IGP.

Anything rendered by the discrete GPU is transferred across the PCIe bus and displayed via the iGPU.  The NVIDIA drivers on OS X don't support this (yet?) so that's why the discrete GPU doesn't work on Optimus laptops running on OS X.

Sorry Asgorath, but if you look better on what have you wrote, is not Optimus that does not have phisycal connection, simply avoid to use multiplexer   :whistle:

Since Sandy bridge comes out PCIe Bus is connected to the NorthBringe (nothing new), the NorthBringe is embedded directly in the CPU and that have an integrated GPU... how can't be a connection??

Linux use bbswitch (Bumblebee project)  to switch GPUs and as I said use ACPI calls, explained here:  https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch.

Then, I agreed that the bios does not allow to switch GPU by default, is difficult to patch, is a risk, but as demostrated by @wartomato is possible. In a hack only a driver is missing.

Sorry Asgorath, but if you look better on what have you wrote, is not Optimus that does not have phisycal connection, simply avoid to use multiplexer   :whistle:

Since Sandy bridge comes out PCIe Bus is connected to the NorthBringe (nothing new), the NorthBringe is embedded directly in the CPU and that have an integrated GPU... how can't be a connection??

Linux use bbswitch (Bumblebee project)  to switch GPUs and as I said use ACPI calls, explained here:  https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch.

Then, I agreed that the bios does not allow to switch GPU by default, is difficult to patch, is a risk, but as demostrated by @wartomato is possible. In a hack only a driver is missing.

PCIe bus != display connection.  My point is that Optimus configurations have no direct connection between the display output of the discrete GPU and either the laptop's internal screen or the external display connector.  The integrated GPU is solely responsible for driving the displays, the discrete GPU cannot do that.  That's what I mean by "no physical connection".  In order for the frames rendered on the discrete GPU to be shown on screen, they have to be transferred back across the PCIe bus so the integrated GPU can send them out to the display.

[success Update]

Apple OS X 10.11.4 Developer Beta 3 Build 15E39c

iRedMac's Specifications:

------------------------------------

Processor : Intel Core i7 6700

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7

VGA : Palit Jetstream GTX960 4GB DDR5 and Intel HD 530

RAM : 8GB (2x4GB) Team Dark DDR4 up to 3000Mhz

Case : NZXT Phantom 530 Red

Sound Codec : Creative CA0132 Onboard with AppleHDA

Speaker : Logitech Z506

Display Monitor : 2x Asus VN248H Full HD Resolution

Nvidia Web Driver Version : 346.03.06b01

Cuda Driver Version : 7.5.25

-------------------------------------

Play Now : Siti Badriah - Melanggar Hukum with Movist Video Player :P

post-1311960-0-24448200-1454961998_thumb.png

post-1311960-0-15472200-1454962049_thumb.png

PCIe bus != display connection.

off course, display connection = ACPI related,  as for any other drivers in OSX that populate the Platform expert. Reconnecting the speech earlier, discrete cards with Optimus technology can work in OSX as demonstrated by @wartomato, it's just another hack. Drivers in OSX are ready to go, like the Web variant ones. I mean, no other things matter..I hope that we were talking about this

new web driver for 10.11.3 is done

346.03.05f02

So, I have been sticking to 10.11.3 and the drivers before this one. Since Final Cut Pro X is working for me (Slowly) but its working.

I just saw a new driver pop-up in 10.11.3 asking to upgrade - I am nervous to because I don't want to break Final Cut. 

Anyone on here tested? I saw someone write above its broken on 10.11.4 ( Not sure how they fix it / than break )

Anyone here can send Nvidia some logs or anything? Is anyone on here a registered Nvidia dev? or are we just getting these Beta Links from "places"

Thanks All

So, I have been sticking to 10.11.3 and the drivers before this one. Since Final Cut Pro X is working for me (Slowly) but its working.

I just saw a new driver pop-up in 10.11.3 asking to upgrade - I am nervous to because I don't want to break Final Cut. 

Anyone on here tested? 

For me, FCPX works very well

I have also done the test BryceX, 17.3 seconds

Everything is fine, I'm fine

post-1181448-0-42190900-1455870824_thumb.png

• Like 1