Apple News - Spring Forward

Allan

18 posts in this topic

4efb04e600a84416d1ace97694704621.jpg

The most anticipated new MacBook:

We have a MacBook Air successor!

Take a look at the new USB-C: a single USB-C versatile port combines USB, DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA and power.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We have 3 options of color for the new MacBook - available in gold, silver, and space gray - similar the iPhone 6 colors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And an updated MacBook Pro!

Posted Image

The new hardware is awesome:

• 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
  • 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based flash storage
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
  • Built-in battery (10 hours)
  • Force Touch trackpad
And finally the full information about Apple Watch!

Battery life for Apple Watch will last 18 hours during a typical day of usage, making it appropriate to charge every night with the magnetic charger.

Apple Watch Pricing

Pricing on Apple Watch ranges dramatically, from $349 to beyond $10,000!

Pricing for the base model Apple Watch begins at $349 for the smaller 38mm model, $399 for 42mm larger model, both in the Sport model with a plastic band.

Posted Image

The stainless steel Apple Watch begins at $549 and goes up to $1099, depending on the choice of watch band and the size of the screen.

Posted Image

Finally, the Apple Watch Edition begins at $10,000, available in varieties of solid gold, and the price goes up from there.

Posted Image

Click here to view the article

Damn those new Macbook looks awesome. Now that everything got specs bump, time for Hackintosh to move: new Broadwell support, new GPU framebuffer supports, and mostly the Force Click Trackpad implementation will have any effects on our tradition laptop trackpads

• Like 1

+1 ... Now you gotta buy an adapter to load battery and save files on your working stick at the same time lmfao. This is user exploit, wake up people, design ain't everything. I dig mobile computers with an optical drive lol ... Feels like if Apple wants to encourage more people to hackintosh ...

The more I see things like that the more I think that Jony Ive is violating a very very basic design principle, and that is:

Form follows function.

Now we have "function follows form", with all that obession to make things as thin as they can. That said I think the watch is way to thick. :P

Go Jony, go!

The more I see things like that the more I think that Jony Ive is violating a very very basic design principle, and that is:

Form follows function.

Now we have "function follows form", with all that obession to make things as thin as they can. That said I think the watch is way to thick. :P

Go Jony, go!

Go Go Go

Here's the issue with the MacBook IMO: it doesn't really fit an actual category bracket with specs and price. I don't even have an issue with the single USB port, and here's why:

This machine looks like, from the specs, the ultimate budget user notebook. It's small, light, has Retina(!), and completely silent. Plus it'll come with 8GB RAM standard (enough for budget users), and 256GB SSD storage. The people this will appeal to (and I believe the focus) is the girl (or boy) who wants something trendy that's not complicated. And the fact that it doesn't have a power brick will appeal to many.

But it is not for the power user. For most people this would appeal to, I could see the adapters not being an issue. People will get the $79 adapter and be done, they can connect the flash drive (which they probably won't use that much), an HDMI display, and still charge the thing. For anyone with any real computing needs, you'll still need the Air, which will still be a faster machine that the MacBook, or the Pro.

And herein lies the issue: it's got budget specs, everything is in its favor to appeal to the mass-market Internet user, and it's $1299!!! That's the same as the Pro Retina 13"!! The price is the problem I see here, because it is basically spec'ed lower than the Air and it costs more than the Air, so the only thing that will actually draw anyone to it is the Retina display. The Air has an advantage in just about every other way, not to mention that you could get a Pro for that price. If the price were much lower, I think it would be a better product.

Making a budget product with a pro price may very well be a big problem for Apple. I like the concept of the product, but the price will turn many away IMO.

• Like 3

Pooky, I think your analysis is spot on, but I still think that even for a non professional user, _one_ port for everything is not very comfortable. And therefore the price is 1378, not 1299, bc almost everyone needs an additional adapter, and if only to connect legacy devices. And even if this is your first computer, right now you still need it, as there are not many USB-C devices out there, or maybe even none at all. Of course the additional adapter also is taking a away a bit of the minimalist elegance. Thats similar to the mac pro, where many people were forced to buy additional thunderbolt boxes, therefore adding space (and noise).

And there is another point I sorely miss: where is the magsafe connector? I don't know how many times I, my GF or our cats have stumbled upon the power cord, and I think with at least one occasion my MBP would have dropped to the floor if that connector was one without magsafe. So again, a very useful feature (for everyone!) was taken away and sacrified on the altar of minimalism and thinness. And as I said, if you have this additional adapter hanging on your MB, some of this minimalistic elegance - which I basically also like very much - is taken away. So I still think they have gone too far here.

Pooky, I think your analysis is spot on, but I still think that even for a non professional user, _one_ port for everything is not very comfortable. And therefore the price is 1378, not 1299, bc almost everyone needs an additional adapter, and if only to connect legacy devices. And even if this is your first computer, right now you still need it, as there are not many USB-C devices out there, or maybe even none at all. Of course the additional adapter also is taking a away a bit of the minimalist elegance. Thats similar to the mac pro, where many people were forced to buy additional thunderbolt boxes, therefore adding space (and noise).

For the user I'm thinking of I'm mostly thinking of the sub notebook market. Like my mother: she would use the machine for web browsing, MS Office, and Skype. The Skype would be the most intense program she would run. She uses a flash drive maybe once a month (if that), and would connect a display less often. The port she would really use would be the headphone port. In this respect this machine would be a perfect fit, and I think there are many users like that.

And there is another point I sorely miss: where is the magsafe connector? I don't know how many times I, my GF or our cats have stumbled upon the power cord, and I think with at least one occasion my MBP would have dropped to the floor if that connector was one without magsafe. So again, a very useful feature (for everyone!) was taken away and sacrified on the altar of minimalism and thinness. And as I said, if you have this additional adapter hanging on your MB, some of this minimalistic elegance - which I basically also like very much - is taken away. So I still think they have gone too far here.

I think they believe since it draws as much power as an iPad, a normal USB cable will suit fine and a MagSafe would not be justified. Not that I agree but that seems like the logical conclusion.

For the user I'm thinking of I'm mostly thinking of the sub notebook market. Like my mother: she would use the machine for web browsing, MS Office, and Skype. The Skype would be the most intense program she would run. She uses a flash drive maybe once a month (if that), and would connect a display less often. The port she would really use would be the headphone port. In this respect this machine would be a perfect fit, and I think there are many users like that.

OK, maybe I see it to much from my own POV ;)

I think they believe since it draws as much power as an iPad, a normal USB cable will suit fine and a MagSafe would not be justified. Not that I agree but that seems like the logical conclusion.

The point of a mag safe connector has nothing to do with charging, but preventing that the Laptop will be kicked off the table if someone trips over the wire.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, maybe I see it to much from my own POV ;)

The point of a mag safe connector has nothing to do with charging, but preventing that the Laptop will be kicked off the table if someone trips over the wire.

The MagSafe connector is for charging though! edit: plus not to mention the thousands of plastic MacBook (original)s that had the plastic around the charger break off thanks to people tripping over/yanking it out ...

.chargeport.png

Honestly, don't buy this. Build a hackintosh for the price, buy a MacBook Air, buy the 13" Retina MacBook Pro or just buy an iPad - it has 1 port (2 if counting headphones), and does everything this MacBook will do (except for a couple of power-user things). Also, buy a Bluetooth keyboard with the money you saved up for this MB.

Or the other option is throw your money away.

• Like 2

@Dan, the reason is simple, Intel hasn't released the quad-core Broadwells yet and that's why they didn't update the 15" Retina (or the iMac or Mac Mini for that matter). From what I've seen the WWDC announcement will probably have more in store (and it's usually when they release the higher end machines anyway).