Windows 10 - Discussion

dcai777

83 posts in this topic

#50 eHack Extreme

video speaks for itself

Amazing ! Looks like Windows 10 can turn your lapy into a sweet jukebox.  Hope the final version would provide this functionnality :hysterical:

Its still in late beta and that video is from at least 9 nine months ago as in it was very buggy back then you could say and record the same with any os x DP 1/2.

I rest my case.

• 2 weeks later...

@Allan,

To upgrade to Windows 10 for free, you have to do an upgrade install first, not a clean install ie run setup.exe from within an already activated Windows 7 or 8 whilst connected to the internet.  Windows 7 and 8 keys will not work for clean installs of Windows 10. 

During the upgrade, the hardwareID of your system is sent to Microsoft's activation servers (calculated from hardware hashes of your motherboard, CPU, Video Card, ethernet MAC etc) ---> subsequent installs including clean installs are automatically activated once you connect to the internet and the hardwareID is matched (do not require any keys, skip the steps asking for these).

Note:

• There are reports that the free upgrade installs work even if your Windows 7 was activated with a famous loader.... :wink_anim:
  • Whether your original Windows installation was legacy or in UEFI mode doesn't matter for activation.  I can confirm that after upgrading a legacy install of Windows 7 to Windows 10, I could wipe the disk and clean install Windows 10 in UEFI mode ---> still automatically activated without inputting any keys!
  • Like 2

yes, fusion71au is right Allan, but I have to suggest a trick,

after a clean install of 7, 8 or 8.1 correctly activated and with every single update installed you should get an app called "Get Windows X" or "GWX" in /Windows/System32/GWX or /Windows/GWX, that app enables the key to be used with windows10...

IF you did all the updates and the GWX is still not appearing you can use this little trick to force it's installation (it worked for me) :)

Good luck!

• Like 2

yes, fusion71au is right Allan, but I have to suggest a trick,

after a clean install of 7, 8 or 8.1 correctly activated and with every single update installed you should get an app called "Get Windows X" or "GWX" in /Windows/System32/GWX or /Windows/GWX, that app enables the key to be used with windows10...

IF you did all the updates and the GWX is still not appearing you can use this little trick to force it's installation (it worked for me) :)

Good luck!

Nice, thanks Bro!  ;)

@Allan,

To upgrade to Windows 10 for free, you have to do an upgrade install first, not a clean install ie run setup.exe from within an already activated Windows 7 or 8 whilst connected to the internet.  Windows 7 and 8 keys will not work for clean installs of Windows 10. 

During the upgrade, the hardwareID of your system is sent to Microsoft's activation servers (calculated from hardware hashes of your motherboard, CPU, Video Card, ethernet MAC etc) ---> subsequent installs including clean installs are automatically activated once you connect to the internet and the hardwareID is matched (do not require any keys, skip the steps asking for these).

Note:

• There are reports that the free upgrade installs work even if your Windows 7 was activated with a famous loader.... :wink_anim:
  • Whether your original Windows installation was legacy or in UEFI mode doesn't matter for activation.  I can confirm that after upgrading a legacy install of Windows 7 to Windows 10, I could wipe the disk and clean install Windows 10 in UEFI mode ---> still automatically activated without inputting any keys!

My fear is the upgrade via WU break my OS X installations. I just have one HDD.   :|

My fear is the upgrade via WU break my OS X installations. I just have one HDD.   :|

The main problem with upgrade installs is that they require the Windows bootloader to be in charge of booting to be successful (the first reboot after installation files are written to the HD will fail otherwise).  The upgrade also overwrites the bootsector so it will remove third party bootloaders/bootmanagers like Chameleon/Clover from the MBR.

The solution is to leave the Windows bootloader in charge and chainload to Clover or Chameleon when you want to boot OSX - the dual boot guide below describes Windows and OSX installed on separate drives but boot0md (post#2) will work even if both OS's are installed on the same drive.

Using EasyBCD to Chainload Chameleon or Clover from the legacy Windows Bootloader

I recommend backing up or cloning your system to an external hard drive before performing the upgrade and keeping an emergency Clover/Chameleon boot disk handy.  Afterwards, you can clean install to your hearts content and reconfigure the boot loaders :).

• Like 2

Nice! And i can do that in UEFI mode right?

PS: A weird thing happens here, when i'll restart Windows select the OS X partition, i have a garbled screen, and OS X don't boot up. :wacko:

Yes.

For UEFI capable systems, the process is easier:  Before upgrading to Windows 10, just give first priority in the BIOS to the Windows Boot Manager instead of Clover.  Eg this can be done in Windows with EasyUEFI....

post-846696-0-80601900-1438499784_thumb.png

In my previous post, I was assuming a legacy system using legacy Clover or Chameleon installed in the MBR :).

Not sure about your garbled screen...does that happen when you completely shut down the computer, then boot into OSX?  Do you have "fast startup" aka "Windows Hybrid Boot" turned on/off under Windows 10 Power Options?

post-846696-0-87703300-1438500583_thumb.png

• Like 2

Not sure about your garbled screen...does that happen when you completely shut down the computer, then boot into OSX?  Do you have "fast startup" aka "Windows Hybrid Boot" turned on/off under Windows 10 Power Options?

attachicon.gifFast Startup.png

The garbled screen happens when i completely shutdown and restart the Windows.

But, i when disable the "Fast Startup" now my OS X can boot normally again. :)  Thanks man  ;)
And about the process in "Fast Startup" i know how it works, like this pic says:

7771d1344870399-fast-startup-turn-off-wi

But how this can be a problem with OS X?

• Like 1

But how this can be a problem with OS X?

Windows probably leaves your video card in a "warm" state on shutdown, ready for quick resumption when "Fast Startup" is enabled.  This may interfere with your OSX boot if OSX expects the card to be in a "cold" state.

I've also seen flaky behaviour from my wireless USB adapter (not connecting to the router, requiring the adapter to be reset to connect again) when Windows fast start is enabled ---> fixed by disabling it :).

• Like 2

Cool!

Now the only step that i need do, is reinstall Windows 8.1 and make the upgrade.

Annndd make a clean install of Windows 10.  :)

You are a really genius @fusion71au, thanks Bro.  ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

A heads up to those that like to watch FTA digital/cable TV on their PCs.  As you probably know, Microsoft in its wisdom, removed Media Center from Windows 10, even as an add-on.  This is a major disincentive for HTPC owners who want to upgrade from Win 7 & 8 to Windows 10 :thumbsdown_anim:.

However, some smart people over at MDL forums have found a way to install Media Center on Windows 10.  Procedure described in this article @betanews.com

Notes

• Make sure to download and run the installer from your C:\ Drive.
  • Best results when installed after a clean install of Windows 10
  • You'll also need MPEG2 codecs to watch live TV eg install Windows DVD or LAV Filters.
  • To fix loss of sound when watching a channel you are recording, use this registry fix.

After testing for a few days, I can confirm that everything is working perfectly - no difference to Media Center in Windows 7 :thumbsup_anim: .

post-846696-0-24343200-1444521851_thumb.png

post-846696-0-96753400-1444540919_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...