[GUIDE] Install Mavericks/Yosemite on Sony VAIO S (2012) -and other UEFI capable VAIOs-

midi-sama

476 posts in this topic

Hi cloud547637654 :P

the card may be changed after or before OS X installing, for me I replaced only after I got OS X installed, I've been using a USB one :P

AR5B195 is good card (it's the one I'm using on my tablet hack (Samsung XE700T1C) and this VAIO) and it's working perfectly on both devices, only two downsides : no Continuity and less transfer speeds over local network (it never gets to 150Mbps, just about 75 or less) and therefore has no support for newer AirDrop, which means it's only legacy airdrop, if you mind these, go look for a newer Broadcom card (I have no specific card on my mind atm, check the internet, it's a dear friend around here), if you don't mind them then you may proceed.

El Capitan is on my VAIO atm and I use it for daily basis, BUT got tons of problems and flaws like USB, I got only the 2.0 one working and the middle one stuck on 2.0 speed while the last one doesn't work at all, many KPs for no reason and I had to make a lil hack to make my RAM work (and damn! it's like your fxcked up ram :P we're on the same boat then), without it, you cannot even start the installer (I gave up when I first tried it and then it was just luck that I found the problem :P )

Dude about the Recovery!! USE VAIO CARE AND BACK IT UP ON DVDsss!!!!!!!!! DO IT NOW!!!! LIKE RIGHT NOW!!! I DO NOT CARE WHETHER YOU ERASE EVERYTHING OR NOT BUT BACK THE HELL UP OF THAT RECOVERY, AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF THAT RECOVERY, I LOST MINE BECAUSE OF MY DVDs WERE SCRATCHED ALL OVER THE PLACE! :( (I would like you to upload yours for me if you can, as long as it's an english windows and it's Pro version, thanks)

Other than that, you dont need to erase everything, just make sure you shrink windows' volume and leave that space blank, install Yosemite for now, until then, I'll buy a new HDD and start all over again! (I couldn't find a 1TB hdd near me at all, ebay/amzn is not an option).

Good luck :)

Perf!

I'll listen to you and back it up ahah. Unfortunately, I didn`t have windows pro..

Okay so.. quick questions :

Hibernation/sleep is working or not? (not so clear in your post)

which bootloader is used? mac or windows ones? (for dual boot)

and more to come ahah

• Like 1

Perf!

I'll listen to you and back it up ahah. Unfortunately, I didn`t have windows pro..

Okay so.. quick questions :

Hibernation/sleep is working or not? (not so clear in your post)

which bootloader is used? mac or windows ones? (for dual boot)

and more to come ahah

1) Sleep yes, Hibernate not for now

2) Dude ... are you 4real? ClAwVah! (clover) and I'm penta-booting :P (LM + And + Win + 2 OS X) on a failing HDD <_< too bad!

Shoot as long as I'm still here!!!

Hey guys! I am SO glad I found this forum and this post.

I am totally new to this form... like I literally just finished doing those intro quizzes...

Anyways, I have a Sony VAIO SVS131290X laptop and recently decided to switch/dual-boot to Mac OS.

I know El Capitan is out, but I couldn't care less about it... I'm totally fine with Yosemite. 

I just want to double check on the compatibility of my rig vs your install.. It seems like we bought the same computer but I just want to double check ha.

So these are my specs according to Speccy.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 3520M @ 2.90GHz 52 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Sony Corporation VAIO (N/A) 55 °C

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Sony)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE (Sony) 44 °C

I am pretty positive that I can install Mac OS on my laptop but before anything I just want to double check!

Thanks!

~ Sam

Haha, I'll definitely attempt this over my winter break. I don't really want to do it while I'm still in school session just bc then i'll have trouble doing hw and all!

I have a TP-Link TL-WN722N USB wifi adapter I've been using for Kali Linux, so I assume I can just use that with Mac OS?

Ahaha failing hdd... Very nice~~ I feel you... My hdd is kinda crappy right now... I was thinking to upgrade to ssd.. Will it be good with osx?

Glad to hear that sleeping is working :D

I'm in the process to create the recovery disk as you kindly suggested. (need to get back on windows 7 for that..)

So I will create a system image from my current windows installation, install windows 7 from recovery, create the recovery disks and then get rid of the recovery partition. I will restore my windows partition using the system image and then jump into Yosemite installation! I should receive the WiFi card next week, so everything is going to be fine ahah.

Also, if I change the screen of my laptop for one with higher resolution.. after having a working yosemite installation, it should be fine no?

Thank you!

Ps I'm happy that you came back into this :D

For SSD: A BIG YES! I have my Ativ Tab 7 that I installed on it OS X and it got mSata ssd: you get to the desktop in 10 secs!!!!!! Omg it was so fast that I forgot about my sluggish VAIO

For recovery: good!

For screen, you have to make it work on windows and maybe get some pins on the back of the mobo (ive read it on notebookreviews website) and what res you're gonna upgrade to btw? (I didnt upgrade mine so I don't know :( )

Good! But check what you got to change in the mobo before!

Thanks! I thought a simple change of the screen would do, but I actually need a new cable and change DIP switch to 0111

finally.. I did an acronis backup (100go size (windows, recovery, efi)), its actually a long process to put back windows 7 in order to backup the recovery to disk ahah..

Hey cloud1250000,

It's easier to format the HDD completely as you don't have to manage the different partitions of Windows and OS X/bootloader, etc. Especially for a beginner. You can back up the recovery partition. There is an option for it in Vaio Care Utility as midi suggested. For this you need 3 DVDs. You can later use those DVDs to restore your system with the recovery partition. But I think after you switch to Mac you'll never use those DVDs anymore. :P

I am currently running El Capitan. It's a little bit different and needs new things to do so it runs well. But the same applies to all the other OS X versions, too. I started with Mountain Lion and used every new major update.

The biggest change for me was the switch from legacy bootloaders like Chameleon and other branch ones to Clover.

Up until Yosemite I used Chameleon to boot my system but slowly changed to Clover. Only Clover (right now at least) supports El Capitan.

Hey cloud1250000,

It's easier to format the HDD completely as you don't have to manage the different partitions of Windows and OS X/bootloader, etc. Especially for a beginner. You can back up the recovery partition. There is an option for it in Vaio Care Utility as midi suggested. For this you need 3 DVDs. You can later use those DVDs to restore your system with the recovery partition. But I think after you switch to Mac you'll never use those DVDs anymore. :P

I am currently running El Capitan. It's a little bit different and needs new things to do so it runs well. But the same applies to all the other OS X versions, too. I started with Mountain Lion and used every new major update.

The biggest change for me was the switch from legacy bootloaders like Chameleon and other branch ones to Clover.

Up until Yosemite I used Chameleon to boot my system but slowly changed to Clover. Only Clover (right now at least) supports El Capitan.

Amazing! Someone with 10.11

Did you fix USB issues? I got only two working the third one isnt recognized :/

Yes, I fixed the USB issue.

Some of you already posted that the VAIO SVS 7 series supports native USB, so no need for GenericUSBXHCI kext. But for the native support to work, the DSDT needed some changes. USB 3 Multiplex patch.

In El Capitan, we can't use the USB 3 Multiplex method anymore. Here are the 3 steps involved in getting the USB work properly with USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports:

1. Remove GenericXHCI.kext (if you managed to get native USB support, you probably don't have this kext anymore, skip this)
  2. Remove USB3 Multiplex Patch (if you didn't patch your DSDT with this patch, then skip this step. Otherwise you will have to extract your original DSDT and re-apply all the patches again, except for this patch)
  3. Rename EHCx to EH0x (in your DSDT, you have to search for all "EHC1" and "EHC2" devices and rename them to "EH01"/"EH02")

Code from Rehabman's Lenovo U430 patch repo.

# rename EHC1 to EH01
    into device label EHC1 set_label begin EH01 end;
    into_all all code_regex EHC1. replaceall_matched begin EH01. end;
    into_all all code_regex .EHC1, replaceall_matched begin .EH01, end;

# rename EHC2 to EH02
    into device label EHC2 set_label begin EH02 end;
    into_all all code_regex EHC2. replaceall_matched begin EH02. end;
    into_all all code_regex .EHC2, replaceall_matched begin .EH02, end;
  4. Install XHCIMux kext. https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads
  • Like 1

Yes, I fixed the USB issue.

Some of you already posted that the VAIO SVS 7 series supports native USB, so no need for GenericUSBXHCI kext. But for the native support to work, the DSDT needed some changes. USB 3 Multiplex patch.

In El Capitan, we can't use the USB 3 Multiplex method anymore. Here are the 3 steps involved in getting the USB work properly with USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports:

• Remove GenericXHCI.kext (if you managed to get native USB support, you probably don't have this kext anymore, skip this)
  • Remove USB3 Multiplex Patch (if you didn't patch your DSDT with this patch, then skip this step. Otherwise you will have to extract your original DSDT and re-apply all the patches again, except for this patch)
  • Rename EHCx to EH0x (in your DSDT, you have to search for all "EHC1" and "EHC2" devices and rename them to "EH01"/"EH02")

Code from Rehabman's Lenovo U430 patch repo.

# rename EHC1 to EH01
    into device label EHC1 set_label begin EH01 end;
    into_all all code_regex EHC1. replaceall_matched begin EH01. end;
    into_all all code_regex .EHC1, replaceall_matched begin .EH01, end;

# rename EHC2 to EH02
    into device label EHC2 set_label begin EH02 end;
    into_all all code_regex EHC2. replaceall_matched begin EH02. end;
    into_all all code_regex .EHC2, replaceall_matched begin .EH02, end;
  • Install XHCIMux kext. https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads

Thank you very much! I will try it later today! I JOST GOT A 1TB HDD :D and redo everything from start! Ill cleanup the guide and stuff!

Hey guys,

So before I make my Sony into a hackintosh I was planning on upgrading my hard drive to a SSD perhaps or at least a bigger HDD and get a compatible wifi chip.

Since I would get betting a new hard drive, could I take the old one with working Windows 8.1 on it and replace it with the newer one... Install Windows 10 onto the new hard drive, and then dual boot with Mac OS... BUT if I like screw up with the new hard drive... Is it possible to just replace the newer hard drive with the older one with Windows 8.1 on it? And then just use my PC as it was before ?

To me it sounds like I could, but I wanted to double check.

I switched to SSD and use my HDD (actually SSHD, I switched the HDD before) as a 2nd drive instead of the DVD/BluRay drive.

post-1190703-0-63962500-1446314215_thumb.png

post-1190703-0-27431000-1446314217_thumb.png

Yes, the guide definitely needs an update.

Hey guys,

So before I make my Sony into a hackintosh I was planning on upgrading my hard drive to a SSD perhaps or at least a bigger HDD and get a compatible wifi chip.

Since I would get betting a new hard drive, could I take the old one with working Windows 8.1 on it and replace it with the newer one... Install Windows 10 onto the new hard drive, and then dual boot with Mac OS... BUT if I like screw up with the new hard drive... Is it possible to just replace the newer hard drive with the older one with Windows 8.1 on it? And then just use my PC as it was before ?

To me it sounds like I could, but I wanted to double check.

That's exactly how I did when I was experimenting with it and didn't want to lose my Windows installation. You can replace the hard drives as you wish. All the information is stored there. You can get a compatible wifi chips later. With this Intel chip you'll get Bluetooth working OOB.

The RAM operates at 1333MHz. Both the soldered one and the one I installed. Maybe because you installed one that is clocked 1600MHz but I don't know if it's a real value since the motherboards underclocks it and runs both at 1333MHz.

post-1190703-0-44352400-1446315276_thumb.png

You can override the RAM sticks information with Clover. That's what I did because the system didn't detect my installed RAM's clock speed. Just a cosmetic thing I guess.

post-1190703-0-74891200-1446315289_thumb.png

post-1190703-0-90047900-1446315279_thumb.png

Awesome! I'm going to order my new Hard drive right now! Any tips on which one I should purchase (compatibility issues?)

As long as it is 2,5", you're good to go. I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB. This SSD supports SATA6 but our motherboard only has SATA3. No issues, just saying that speeds aren't as fast as on Motherboards that support SATA6.

If you plan on getting a HDD I would buy a 5400 RPM one. 7200 RPM is loud(er), drains your battery and the speed advantage is little.

post-1190703-0-29149700-1446315705_thumb.png