[GUIDE] Install Mavericks/Yosemite on Sony VAIO S (2012) -and other UEFI capable VAIOs-

midi-sama

476 posts in this topic

Dude, the performances are Intel HD's performances, the amd is nothing but an illusion!

I will have to disagree. I have the same laptop. And yes, there is no sign of an Intel HD. No OS (Windows, Linux, OS X) was able to find it. There is no option in the BIOS to enable or disable it. For your info, Sony and Toshiba are known to do that i.e switch off the integrated graphic (dunno with what mechanism). It's similar to the MXM cards on workstation laptops (Dell Latitudes, some HP Elitebooks).

Proof of concept: There are ways to alter the BIOS to disable the integrated graphics. Either the manufacturer does it, or the end-user can. But the latter requires a great knowledge in BIOSes. I had a Dell Latitude E6430 with both Intel HD 4000 & Quadro NVS 5200M. The stock bios included an option to enable or disable the Optimus technology. So, yes it's very possible to not have Intel.

I also had a HP G6 laptop that had Intel HD 3000 & AMD 6470M. I could have the AMD card working through mirroring. And for the record, I could say that the AMD card's performance in this situation was that of the Intel HD 3000. But in most Sony SVE laptops with AMD cards, it's not the same.

And finally, I'm also having the same problem as the other guy (GPU hardware virtualization disabled). The guy from this thread has reportedly got it working http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311868-el-capitan-sierra-sony-vaio-e-series-2012-sve1712w1eb-amd-radeon-hd-7650mbut for some reasons, it doesn't work on mine.

Conclusion, unlike nvidia with its optimus, AMD cards can be used alone as long as they offer a video output to the laptop internal screen.