Asus EAH6450 Video BIOS UEFI GOP Upgrade (And GOP UEFI binary in .efi for many ATI cards)

Andy Vandijck

143 posts in this topic

Hi Andy,

There are two 6990 vBIOS' , master and slave in this card, but you, most likely know that already:

Link to files:  http://goo.gl/UJnFKk

Thank you

I had to cut everything beyond 64KB.

I also have determined the proper device ID for the card and made these sets of ROMs.

These should work as they are 123KB (about like the originals).

Flash these and enjoy :D

6990_UEFI.zip

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

Amazing work, after flashing my 6990 with your vBIOS, it can boot to both, legacy and UEFI without the hitch. Apparently you created some sort of a hybrid BIOS.

On a side note:

I was having problems with my PSU (and/or a modular cable) used in UEFI rig, recently, so there is a strong possibility, that RCornell's vBIOS might have worked fine, the card didn't get enough power from 1 pci-e 8-pin connector.

Many thanks to you, both.

I'll update upon finding any issues, should there be any.

Have a great day! (or night)

• 1 month later...

Voila!

Here you go, free GOP upgrade :D

Makes that card worth a bit more directly, minimal work ;)

One for GT640 here...

This one is from a 2GB Gigabyte model, should work for all GT640...

Enjoy :D

Hi Andy,

I'm trying to build my own uefi gop vbios, but always get an error with the script. I have an Asus GT640, so I thought this could work for me.

I put my dumped Vbios in rom directory and run the script as you said, but I get this:

post-921385-0-05289800-1423765782_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help. :)

Hi Andy,

I'm trying to build my own uefi gop vbios, but always get an error with the script. I have an Asus GT640, so I thought this could work for me.

I put my dumped Vbios in rom directory and run the script as you said, but I get this:

Thanks for your help. :)

GT640 Use script above.

The one made for Nvidia GT640.

It'll work fine (proven).

• Like 1

GT640 Use script above.

The one made for Nvidia GT640.

It'll work fine (proven).

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I used this script for nvidia, but I get the described error.

Updated: Didn't renamed correctly the vbios name. Now with the correct name, I get a different error:

post-921385-0-28293600-1423770325_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone. Great job on making such a good work so far. I have a question. My cousin has HD5570 OC by Gigabyte and I tried to add UEFI GOP to the rom using AMD UEFI GOP MAKER, but my PC is giving me DLL errors. I currently don't have MAC, since my new LAN card is not supported (IC PLUS). I'll really appreciate any help figuring out if it can be done. Here's link to the card's rom at techpowerup.

• 3 weeks later...

NVidia GT(X)-2XX series UEFI VBIOS ROM mod.

Should work for all GT-200 series of cards.

GT 210 OC Gigabyte EFI VBIOS modding kit.

NVIDIA_GT_2XX-UEFI-GOP-MAKERV2.zip

• Like 3

Thanks Andy! Updated my 210 and it's all good. The previous efi rom worked fine but might as well have the newest :)

So you reckon this rom will work on any 200 series card? Should be handy for anyone with a 260 as that card is listed in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (there was a 260 Mac Edition but it never shipped).

Hello,

I have no idea what I'm doing, I would like my non-GOP VTX3D GDDR5 Radeon HD 7750 to be flashed to GOP ROM, and apparently this is the place to do it.

I am on Windows, and v4 doesn't seem to be working for me and spitting out lots of errors. It did give me an output ROM, but I don't think I did it right. Can anyone give a small tutorial if that's not a problem? :)

Thanks, VOT.

I tried running the v4 script from Windows and it doesn't work (command not found errors). If you have access to a Mac it will work fine there. I downloaded the rom from here and was able to make a GOP bios.

I've attached it here along with the terminal output (as log.txt). Make sure the BIOS I downloaded matches your card and then see if you want to risk flashing it. Also make sure you have a way to flash the original BIOS back in case it doesn't work. There's always a danger when flashing modified bios files.

If your card BIOS differs from the one I downloaded attach it here and I'll use that instead.

VTX3D Radeon HD 7750 GDDR5.zip

• Like 2

Unfortunately, AMD Winflash said it couldn't find the VBIOS :(

Edit: GPU-Z is now working and saving the BIOS properly. I deleted the ATI Winflash attachment and attached the GPU-Z BIOS.

Thanks for your help by the way, I didn't think anyone would help me. :D

Cape Verde.zip

Unfortunately it didn't work, I tried both ROMs under ATI Winflash and ATIFlash, both said the ROMs were invalid.

I've noticed that my original BIOS is 128kb, and the BIOS you make is 120kb. Could that be a problem?

It might be a problem with the ATIFlash versions. Are they up-to-date enough to support uefi roms? I've only done this with my nvidia card so I don't know how it works on the ATI side.

Your original rom was 128kb but exactly half of that was padding. The script strips this out, leaving a 64kb rom which is then stitched together with the UEFI rom.

If you manage to get it flashed, I'd suggest booting normally first to see if the legacy bios part of the rom still works ok. Then you can try activating the uefi side in the system bios. If that fails you'll know that resetting the system bios will get you back up again.

In case it is a filesize thing, I've padded out the rom to 128kb. See if that makes any difference.

1002.683F.rom.zip

• Like 2

Unbelievable :o

It worked! I have a GOP graphics card! Thank you so much for your help, without your help this would have been impossible. :D

Your other BIOS would have probably worked, but it's the -f (force) flag in ATIFlash that made it work. :)

Run "nvflash --check" to see what size your card's eeprom is. Mine is 1024Kx1S meaning it can take a rom file up to 128kb in size.

Some models of Gigabyte cards didn't get UEFI rom updates, so perhaps they don't have large enough eeproms to hold the larger rom needed.