Realtek RTL8187(L)

Alex3305

105 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have already searched the boards, Google, the Wiki and more but I can't find a 'solution'. I have an Sagem XG-703(a) USB 2.0 WLAN adapter for my 'brand new' OSX86 machine but it doesn't work. USB itself is working, only the adapter is found but not recognized by OSX.

The Sagem XG-703(a) is the same as the Netgear WG111 and based on the Realtek RTL8187(L) chipset. If anybody got an solution for this problem, instead of buying a new adapter of course :P it would be great !!

Thanks in advance,

- Alex3305 -

I couldn't find much in Google about the Sagem XG-703.

But the Netgear WG111 has a Prism 54 chipset.

I don't know of any OSX drivers for that, but there is a PrismGT driver: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=196838

And some blog or something for a Prism USB device: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=27423

There are definitely no drivers for a Realtek wireless device on OSX.

@Rammjet, thanks for the fast reply.

Your right about the Netgear WG111, but if you search any further you can find that there are 2 versions. The first version indeed has the Prism 54 chipset but the second version has a Realtek driver.

BTW there are OSX drivers from Realtek themselfs and from Sagem too btw, but they appearently not work on Intel Macs.... :P

BTW there are OSX drivers...from Sagem too btw, but they appearently not work on Intel Macs

The page for the device at Sagem support no longer has anything to download. http://www.sagem.com/support/site/modele_f...amp;produit=148

And the last OSX driver I can find for the Sagem device is from years ago - prior to the creation of Intel Macs.

The driver from Realtek was updated in January 2006. So, it potentially could have Intel Mac support, but the change list included with the driver makes no mention of updating the driver for Intel machines.

• 4 months later...

Hello @ all,

same here i've tested the Netgear WG111v2 it has an RTL8187-Chipset, and yes i've downloaded the OSX-10.4-driver from Realtek-Site, but it doesn't work for me, the base-executable in ./Content/MacOS/usbnet is a pure PPC-binary, and an manual kextload -t ends up with an "segmentation fault" whats all. i assume what the prism-drivers are not compatible with RTL-Chipsets, right? Would be nice to hear if someone get a solution for this, and for sure i'm wondering because the drivers for the GlobeTrotter-Connect-Card/external modem and their control-panel are also pure PPC but they runs with out trouble on the intel-system, another test says what the base-executable in ./Content/MacOS/usbnet has no kernel-extension-strings in it, but this can came from the wrong Owner/Mode-Type..., remember the kextload -t, if the strings arn't present, then kextload couldn't also load this module.

Any hints for further tests? Where are the logs for what drivers saved? Special-parameters for kextload, for more usable output?

here the latest results, it seems what a superclass is missing, so the rtl8187.kext doesnt complete the validating for dependices

kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/rtl8187.kext
kextload: resolving dependencies for kernel extensions with validation and authentication failures
kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/rtl8187.kext has problems:
Validation failures:
{
   "Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true
}

kextload -l -v /System/Library/Extensions/rtl8187.kext
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/rtl8187.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/rtl8187.kext
22rtl8187_Client_Utility is not compatible with its superclass, 12IOUserClient superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/rtl8187.kext
load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/rtl8187.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

i've searched the missed IOUserClient-superclass, but couldn't found it in the whole kernel-tree? Any hints?

I've got the same output as you :D

BTW - I found something on Apple Developers Forum

Common Problems with Universal I/O Kit Drivers

Most problems you'll encounter after building a universal driver will appear when loading it. For example, kextload might report the error

com.mycompany.driver.MyDriverClass is not compatible with its superclass,

<superclass name> superclass changed?

The reason for most load-time errors is that the wrong SDK was used when building the driver. For example, the PowerPC side of the driver is targeting Mac OS X 10.3.x but was built using the 10.4u SDK. Refer to the SDK version information shown earlier in Which Xcode and Mac OS X SDK Versions to Use. Then verify that your Xcode project is set up as described earlier in Xcode Project Settings for a Universal I/O Kit Kernel Driver.

Thy say there is a way to rebuild PPC-only driver to the universal one using XCode. Is there any PPC driver for rtl8187 ?

Edited by Ilya_M

I got reply from Realtek :

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your e-mail.

The web site version only support Apple Mac platform.

Our latest version can support intel platform and should update to web site later.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Fred

So, hopefully we'll get our drivers soon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try this on my WG111v2 and a imac ppc I just bought. It was an imac that came with 10.1... I am throwing on 10.4 and then I will try this just for fun. I have a WG111V2 and it would be nice to get this to work on her imac. Picked it up for 200 bucks so she can use myspace and hotmail...

Even a non intel mac should be *okay* for that... =)

I have also dropped Realtek a mail at the beginning of march, but i didnt get any reply till now.

The website also doesn't feature a new driver also only the old PPC only.

Has anybody furter information when the Intel driver is going to be released?

I have also dropped Realtek a mail at the beginning of march, but i didnt get any reply till now.

The website also doesn't feature a new driver also only the old PPC only.

Has anybody furter information when the Intel driver is going to be released?

They released a new driver :

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

I tried "MacOS, Tiger, 10.4 Driver 1.4.5, UI 1.4.7" today, it doesnt work ^_^

O.k. now we got a driver, but there is no chance to configure it.

It only get's recognized as an normal Ethernet Port (en4 in my case and there is no way configuring it)

Where is the UI that should ship with the driver?

Besides Stuffit Expander wasn't able to unzip this file, if it did the Folder created by it was empty, i had to use the unzip Command in the Terminal.

So i dropped them a mail.

Edited by dadrkside40

O.k. now we got a driver, but there is no chance to configure it.

It only get's recognized as an normal Ethernet Port (en4 in my case and there is no way configuring it)

Where is the UI that should ship with the driver?

Besides Stuffit Expander wasn't able to unzip this file, if it did the Folder created by it was empty, i had to use the unzip Command in the Terminal.

So i dropped them a mail.

The same with me - wireless card is recognized as EN4 and no place to configure it. :thumbsup_anim:

helo guys me to,The same with me problem whith driver RTL8187 NO CONFIG.

Maybe there's a way to connect without the utility KISMAC or another diferent,

sorry for my inglish,