How to change from MBR to GUID?

maxell505

73 posts in this topic

So I was speaking with another person on the chat and he was helping me out personally and he said that the reason i could not install OSX on the partition that I made was because of my disk being an MBR. He said I will have to change it to GUID. I asked if I could change it to GUID without anything being erased and he started showing me but we encountered an error and he said he would be back in 10 minutes and it has been about 1 hour now. Can someone please help me with this problem. I want to install Mac OSX on the partition I made but I do not want to lose all of the programs and stuff I have installed on my Windows partition. He told me to open cmd on windows and type in diskpart and than in the diskpart cmd window type in "list partition". But when I do that it says that "there is no disk selected to list partitions. Select a disk and try again".

Please help me! I want to install Mac OSX but I cannot do so right now!

Simple.

Reinstall OS X in DU select GUID mode.

HT4718_GUID----en.png

Ok what is DU and how do I start mac osx mavericks with DU?

Just letting you know, I have a Niresh bootable USB with me and I have Windows on a separate partititon.

Simple.

Reinstall OS X in DU select GUID mode.

HT4718_GUID----en.png

Also I never had OSX installed. I was in the installing process when this occured.

Formatting and reinstalling everything is not necessary. There is a way to modify the OS X installer so that it will install on an MBR drive.

Google retail OS X on MBR there are plenty of hits to get you going.

btw if you have Niresh, it should already be modified to allow for installation on MBR. So... no need to do anything.

"DU" is Apple Disk Utility. It's accessible from the Tools menu before starting the installation process.

• Like 1

Formatting and reinstalling everything is not necessary. There is a way to modify the OS X installer so that it will install on an MBR drive.

btw if you have Niresh, it should already be modified to allow for installation on MBR. So... no need to do anything.

"DU" is Apple Disk Utility. It's accessible from the Tools menu before starting the installation process.

Wait so why can't I get it to install than. I made the partition correctly but it still will not allow me to erase. I have attached the Partition Wizard window so you can see how I partitioned it.

hi

Wait so why can't I get it to install than.

do you already tried this?

and besides ... you do not have to delete windows mbr partition, there's a lots of softwares on the web who could convert your mbr partition in guid without loosing data

click here!

Can someone help me with detail in exactly how I have to partition my hard drive in OSX and everything. Because I am not that good at this stuff.

we can understand that you don't have yet abilities to work with os x but do some research with google ... I mean, really? 

it seems that you have read on a second

no, just the first character    :frantics:

• Like 1

you read what I recommend?

Ok so I have a bootable version of Niresh Mavericks on a USB Drive. So first I have to erase Windows right? So than I go into Disk Utility while on OSX and I click on the partition tab. I click two partitions. Than I click on the first partition and make it a GUID Partition Table. Than I click on the second partition and make it an MBR, right? And than I go and install OSX Mavericks into the first partition(the one that is formatted as GUID) and than once I have done that, can you please help me from than on how to install Windows 8( I have a Windows 8 DVD)

we can understand that you don't have yet abilities to work with os x but do some research with google ... I mean, really? 

no, just the first character    :frantics:

ok sorry about starting the other post, its just that no one is answering my question. I just want to know how to apply the MBR patch to the Niresh version of Mavericks. Please show me how to do that. Thanks. 

This. Niresh has MBR support. The MBR patch is only required for retail installs.