How to change from MBR to GUID?

maxell505

73 posts in this topic

What exactly are you doing?

I have made a partition in Windows and formatted it as NTFS. When I boot the Niresh Mavericks USB installer and I go to disk utility and than I go to the erase tab and than I click on erase with Mac OSX Journaled selected, it gives me an error saying that it could not modify partition maps.

You are sure you are going to the Erase tab and not the Partition tab?

Post a pic

BTW - the issue you're getting is not related to being able to install on MBR. You're not even at the installation stage yet.

You are sure you are going to the Erase tab and not the Partition tab?

Post a pic

BTW - the issue you're getting is not related to being able to install on MBR. You're not even at the installation stage yet.

Sorry I fell asleep last night. Here are some pictures of the error I am having:

I have also attached a picture of the partitions I have on my disk. I used a program called Partition Wizard to make these partitions.

post-1161338-0-69380800-1395599385_thumb.jpg

post-1161338-0-63047000-1395599412_thumb.jpg

post-1161338-0-21405300-1395599441_thumb.jpg

post-1161338-0-88986800-1395599480_thumb.jpg

post-1161338-0-74256700-1395599545_thumb.jpg

post-1161338-0-32204200-1395599613_thumb.jpg

post-1161338-0-43061400-1395599666_thumb.png

Try changing the format of the partition you have marked for OSX from NTFS to FAT32 using Windows Disk Management instead of Partition Wizard eg for illustration purposes, I have done this on a 121MB flash drive...

post-846696-0-10677200-1395620888_thumb.png

post-846696-0-87148100-1395620909_thumb.png

post-846696-0-44189700-1395620926_thumb.png

post-846696-0-98083300-1395620950_thumb.png

post-846696-0-04027000-1395620977_thumb.png

Then use the erase tab in Disk Utility on your USB installer to change from FAT32 to HFS+ as you did previously.  Disk utility generally won't allow you to touch NTFS partitions (unless you have a third party add-on eg Tuxera NTFS).  However, it is happy to manipulate HFS & FAT32 partitions.

• Like 1

Try changing the format of the partition you have marked for OSX from NTFS to FAT32 using Windows Disk Management instead of Partition Wizard eg for illustration purposes, I have done this on a 121MB flash drive...

attachicon.gifDM1.png

attachicon.gifDM2.png

attachicon.gifDM3.png

attachicon.gifDM4.png

attachicon.gifDM5.png

Then use the erase tab in Disk Utility on your USB installer to change from FAT32 to HFS+ as you did previously.  Disk utility generally won't allow you to touch NTFS partitions (unless you have a third party add-on eg Tuxera NTFS).  However, it is happy to manipulate HFS & FAT32 partitions.

Now that it is FAT32, should I try to install OSX on it?

This. You must erase your newly created FAT32 partition as HFS+.

It is already formatted as FAT32. But when I go into disk utility and try to erase it and format to MAC OSX Journaled, it gives me the error. One thing to know is that whenever I go into disk utility, under my had drive, I see all of my partitions. The partition I am trying to format is always grayed out. The letters on the other partitions are black and the one I want to install OSX on is grayed out. 

Try downloading a tool called GParted. It is a Linux Live CD. Burn it (or put it on a USB drive) and boot from it. You should be able to format your drive as HFS+.

Then, boot into the installer, open Disk Utility, select your HFS+ partition, and click the Enable Journaling button in the toolbar. You should then be good to go.

• Like 1

Try downloading a tool called GParted. It is a Linux Live CD. Burn it (or put it on a USB drive) and boot from it. You should be able to format your drive as HFS+.

Then, boot into the installer, open Disk Utility, select your HFS+ partition, and click the Enable Journaling button in the toolbar. You should then be good to go.

OK. I have an Ubuntu bootable USB. Can I use that instead or no?

I suspect the Partition Wizard program is doing something to your mbr that OSX doesn't like so avoid using it. 

Use Windows disk management to delete the partition marked OSX and leave as empty space.  Then reboot your computer using your OSX installer USB and try to add a HFS+ partition into the empty disk space using the partition tab of Disk Utility (the "+" symbol).

Another solution is to create a linux live USB and use gparted to create empty disk space then replace with a HFS partition.

Edit beaten by Pooky :D.

• Like 1

I suspect the Partition Wizard program is doing something to your mbr that OSX doesn't like so avoid using it. 

Use Windows disk management to delete the partition marked OSX and leave as empty space.  Then reboot your computer using your OSX installer USB and try to add a HFS+ partition into the empty disk space using the partition tab of Disk Utility (the "+" symbol).

Another solution is to create a linux live USB and use gparted to create empty disk space then replace with a HFS partition.

Edit beaten by Pooky :D.

Ok so I guess I'll use Ubuntu and use Gparted and do that. I'll get back to you if it works. Thank you.

You're welcome. If it doesn't work, you can try the GParted disc, which is Debian. All it has is GParted.

Ok I tried to go into Gparted but this is what it gave me. If I absolutely need too, than I am fine with formatting my whole hard drive, IF it comes to that case. I attached a screenshot of what happened.

post-1161338-0-42247800-1395796307_thumb.png

Howdy.

I stumbled upon this thread while trying to figure out my own issue - I had the same problem as the OP where I received the error: "Error modifying partition map." Of course, this was due to my setup being MBR instead of GPT.

I ended up just doing a clean install of Windows 8.1 using UEFI, and I no longer received this issue with Niresh. (Used http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2328-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html as a reference.)

I'm currently still in the process of performing the install (and will most definitely run into more hindrances), but hopefully this helped. I'll continue to update if needed.

Stuff:

ASUS G55VW Laptop

SSD 120 GB

HDD 1000 GB

NVIDIA GTX 660M (2 GB VRAM)

16 GB RAM

DVD [4.7 GB cap.] with Windows 8.1 (burned from .iso)

SanDisk Cruzer [16 GB] for Niresh

Notes:

- Initially didn't use .dmg (USB v. of Niresh distro) when burning to USB, used .iso instead. Didn't find out until around 4 hours later why it wasn't working. =_=

- After 2 reinstalls of Windows 8.1, realized MBR was a bad idea. Clean installed Windows 8.1 using UEFI. Was able to specifically limit Windows OS to a 60 GB partition. Remaining 60 GB on SSD was left unused (for later).

- Tried creating partition for OSX in Partition Wizard and via the native Windows Disk Management utility (formatted each time as NTFS, FAT32) . Ran into an error: "Mediakit reports not enough space on device" when attempting to erase and reformat the partition in Disk Utility as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Format). 

- Erased failed attempt and left as unused space in the Disk Management util. Burned GParted Live to a blank DVD-R and booted to the disc. Used GParted to create the partition in the empty space and format as HFS+.

- Booted into Niresh and was able to enable Journaling (Disk Utility > [your partition] > File > Enable Journaling) as PookyMacMan suggested.

- Installation in process!

• Like 1

Ok I understand what all you have said but I have one problem:

I thought UEFI was only for some motherboards. Like Gigabyte motherboards. I have an HP DM4-3099se and I am for sure that it doesn't have UEFI mode. So can I still do this in my computer?

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Massive overquote removed. Please don't quote entire posts when replying directly below them.

If you don't have UEFI in your machine, that cannot apply directly to you. You both have two different cases, I don't think that suggestion will work for you without modification.

Is your hard drive GPT or MBR? If you're not sure, check Disk Management; if there is a hidden 200MB partition on your drive then you have GPT.