nVIDIA Retail Drivers for Mavericks

Kynyo

106 posts in this topic

The drivers work fine here on my vanilla EVGA 660 GTX. I use displayport and DVI, no issues with displays, although I had to redefine the display order after installing the drivers, because my main display is on DP and the card wants it on DVI.

Of course CUDA doesn't work because there is no new CUDA driver yet, and the OpenCL throttling issue is still there, as demonstrated earlier in this topic.

All in all, not worth it if you have a 660 GTX and especially not if you need CUDA for anything. Thankfully its very easy to go back to OS drivers.

I tried the recommended steps above, ultimately I had to boot into Sinlge User Mode, reinstall the 10.9.2 update, reinstall the web drivers and then use the uninstall option in the Preference Pane to uninstall them. Hopefully I can use them in the future. I will try it on my other box, with a dated GTS 250, this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

...these new drivers only run my hdmi tv...black screen on main dvi apple display(17 in)

edit: got them working...using a benq 22in monitor...i guess the new drivers don't like my 10yr old apple monitor(using a DVItoADC apple adaptor)

post-11772-0-80559900-1393547043_thumb.png

post-11772-0-83959700-1393547064_thumb.png

Open with flat package editor, drag distribution.dist to your desktop, open it with textedit, change "MacPro3,1" to the model identifier you're using (it will be obvious where to do that) and be careful that textedit doesn't automatically change the " ", they must be like the others in the document. Save the edited distribution.dist, delete the original distribution.dist from the flat package editor, drag your modified in, save the package, you're done.

• Like 1

iMac13,1/2 or iMac14,1/2 also seems to work, been using that since my system closely resembles the iMac.

Also my problem with the task bar is reproducible on several systems including a real mac pro, strange nobody notices it (must admit, it's still fully working just a tad annoying)

VqwYv46.png

Never touched the installer, ran directly and fine.

Only had to change the identifier in earlier versions, at least the last 2 or 3 versions ran without modifying.

I wouldn't claim it if I wasn't so sure about how I did it, I truly downloaded it directly from the nv site and ran it.

Checked and since this particular setup is just a week old I still had this pkg.

WebDriver-331.01.01b07.pkg

If needed I'll take a MD5 hash or whatever you'd want to verify it's untouched.

When looked into the distribution file I notice 2 checks;

First it checks if there's a NV card in the system by the identify number.

Secondly it checks, as mentioned, for a MacPro3,1 or 4,1 or 5,1.

What I cannot see or have knowledge of if both need to be true or just 1.

Also I tried to open it up and it again just ran just fine, while when with an ATi card I get a non supported msg right away.

So you tell me, all I can tell you it works straight away and I'm pretty sure it was like this with past versions for me.

Edit: might as well prove it;

LaFQJfu.png

They doesn't work on my MBP Retina (2012) with the Nvidia 650M chip...

Once I modified the installer it worked just fine. On my retina MacBook Pro. I would like to try these on my desktop, box #2, that broke last time I tried it.

#Update: Installed on my box with the GT 610, failed again.

This driver pkg installed fine for me, same system definition and card as badeendje, however, the dual-dvi output i use to drive my (main) U2713H screen gave a black screen on boot first. Had to switch it to display port for now, the hdmi connected to my second monitor did work. (Don't know why Dual-DVI did not work at first, might have been old EDID info)   Ran some benchmarks and some games on steam yesterday but could not notice any major performance benefits. 

For some reason when I try installing these (or the older betas) the installation fails at the end and although the drivers and prefpane are written, I can't launch the prefpane. If I browse the contents of the prefpane I can't launch NVAgent or NVMenu either, they throw up some error about being unable to start (working from memory here, I don't have them installed any more). The only thing that does run is the driver uninstaller. To enable the drivers I just write the nvda arg to nvram. Not sure what's causing the problem, I've tried repairing permissions.

I can't determine if I am sucessfully activating these drivers. It instaled okay, but the drop down menu shows "os x default" as being checked instead of nvidia. This despite the fact that I have the correct bot argument.

I noticed someone else was using Clover had the same issue earlier, maybe it's a clover issue?

It's a nvram issue. The menu checks nvram for the nvda_drv argument. If it's not there it assumes the default drivers are loaded.

Check the Extensions section in System Profiler. If GeForceWeb is loaded instead of GeForce then you're on the nvidia drivers

Interesting, Geforce Web is loaded, and GeForce is not so it looks like I'm on their drivers.

However the menubar/preference pane still shows it as being on osx drivers.

My GPU clock still gets stuck.

Web Driver : 331.01.01f01

Cuda Driver: 5.5.47

Yeah you're on the web drivers then. The menu isn't finding the nvda entry in your nvram so it's defaulting to showing the OS X drivers as loaded.

The GPU clock thing is in nvidia's hands. At least patching the OpenCL framework prevents undue wear and tear on the card in the meantime.