Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition

TheNavigator

127 posts in this topic

So, hello guys!  :)

I successfully managed installed Snow Leopard before on my old Dell Latitude E6500, although it took me 6 months... This time I have a better laptop, and I want to get Mavericks running here.

I made a Mavericks bootable USB using myHack, but it didn't work. I got stuck at "Still waiting for root input". I followed the instructions at myHack page but they were of no help.

P.S, that appears at installation. Without -v added, I'm just stuck at the Apple logo with the rotating loading thing, and then there's a big circle with / inside it, and that's all.

Can someone please help me with that?

My specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3632QM

RAM: 8 GB DDR3

Graphics: Dual Graphics, Intel Ivybridge and AMD Radeon 7730M

I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7, dual booting using GRUB.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks in advance.  :)

hello

only works intel hd4000

and to boot u must find the right ig-platform-id for the graphics

or remove from installer

appleintelhd*

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288241-intel-hd4000-and-haswell-inject-aaplig-platform-id/

good hack

I'm lost. Shouldn't this be post-installing? :/ Why does this happen with the installer itself?

I followed your advice and deleted the AppleIntelHD* kexts, now I'm stuck with "Still waiting for root device" problem. Here's a picture.

k8TTDCK.jpg

I followed myHack's guide which advised to add USBBusFix=Yes as a boot flag, that was the result. Still stuck at "Still waiting for root device"...

eb9ohqZ.jpg

hello

boot

-f -v npci=x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No

good hack

I tried that already, didn't work.

I followed this guide though, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287454-guide-dell-15r-se-7520-ml-10821083/ . I reached the installer screen successfully and I was able to choose the language, but then the installer crashed with a log file that I couldn't save. I'm gonna try using myHack to "remove problematic extensions" and then try again. If it didn't work I'll take a picture and post it here.

Also, thanks!  :)

It didn't work. Here are some of the error lines.

Language Chooser[349]: Could not read prev-lang:kbd to set keyboard

Unknown[350]: Setting boot completed.

Language Chooser[349]: Could not write to /var/log/CDIS.custom

Unknown[367]: Launching the Installer Crash Log Viewer

I followed that tutorial again, using Pandora this time. I was able to get to the installer screen, but my keyboard didn't work. However, I wasn't able to install as I used an MBR partition table. I'm going to install the kexts that allow it to be installed on MBR and try again.

Regarding the keyboard issue, any help with that?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've been able to boot again using the Pandora installer, and ONLY the IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorage.kext files from the USB.zip file in the topic linked above, however, I got stuck with a kernel panic as I booted.

krkd04R.jpg

Installer log file is attached.

Installer Log 29-Dec-2013.txt

Following this article, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286552-guidedell-inspirion-17r-se-7720-installation-guide/ , I copied the perl code, booted into my installation USB, and patched the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on the Mac OS X partition. Nothing changed.

I've repaired permissions using the disk utility (although I supposedly configured them correctly. However, I was able to boot successfully.

Now I'm stuck with a problem where neither my keyboard nor my mouse work. I've tried repairing permissions again, but that was of no use. How can I make the thing load ApplePS2Controller, which I copied (and I configured its permissions) from the USB?

I've recently tried booting with UseKernelCache=No or -f or -x. Any of these flags cause AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kernel panic. I believe I'm lost.

• 2 months later...

I gave up trying to install Mavericks, but now I can't even install Mountain Lion.

Using stakeout5.com guide, I ended up with a kernel panic. Using MyHack, I ended up with a kernel panic, too. Pandora doesn't work and it closes after copying OSInstall.mpkg

I'm frustrated. Isn't there any possible way to make this work?

I just tried using myHack and the boot pack at OSXLatitude, trying to install Mountain Lion. I ended up at a black screen, where it looks like the laptop is turned off. (The laptop doesn't actually turn off, the screen looks black, and not like there's a black window filling the screen, but like it's off)

OK, you're going to want to get a hold of myHack and an AppStore copy of 10.9.2.

Use Pokengyuen's thread HERE and my thread HERE to help you boot to a perfect copy of Mavericks with working everything!

pokengyuen's thread is the perfect guide, I included mine because it shows the errors I had an some of my fixes!

Obligatory screenshot to keep you hoping! [edited to show you my better setup with edited icons]

iQHiGbF.png

Thanks for that! I'll let you know how did it go.

However,

- Add boot option: Add /EFI/Boot/Bootx64.efi in USB, then move the boot entry to top.

How exactly can I add /EFI/Boot/Bootx64.efi ?

And is there a way to do it without converting the whole drive to GPT? There are really important things here that I can't risk getting deleted, and the last time I tried the conversion it was a huge mess.

On the other hand, using that myHack thing with the boot pack, I deleted all the ATI/AMD extensions, started with GraphicsEnabler=No -v, and now I'm able to boot. I had to use a USB keyboard and mouse since I didn't have the ApplePS2Controller (that was the name, right?) kext installed. After I chose the language, it crashed, providing the attached log.

Installer Log 1-Apr-2014.txt