Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition

TheNavigator

127 posts in this topic

The Inspiron 15R has a Hidden ESP partition that holds the bootloader - after you install 10.9.2 and reboot, then install Clover to the Bootloader partition you can go into the BIOS using F2 > Boot > Add Boot Option > Name it clover, then just set the path to /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi     -   Clover Configurator will Mount the EFI partition as well and let you edit the config.plist file, which will need to be done so you can boot properly using the same config in your USB install [same settings, same flags, etc]

In response to the crash -> Did you patch your mach_kernel for Haswell Machines? Download THIS file and replace the original mach_kernel in the Clover partition of the USB, then try booting.

I didn't need to use GraphicsEnabler=No, but booting without caches [when clover boots, press spacebar over the myhacks boot option and select 'Boot without caches'] tended to always be beneficial, or at least seemed to make everything run smoothly [placebo effect or not]

I formatted the whole drive before so I don't think it has that partition anymore.

That crash happens with the myHack installation using OSXLatitude boot pack (and not Clover. I didn't use Clover as I'm not ready to format the whole drive)

My processor isn't Haswell, it's Ivy Bridge. i7-3632QM.

And is there a way to do it without converting the whole drive to GPT? There are really important things here that I can't risk getting deleted, and the last time I tried the conversion it was a huge mess.

wait wait, you don't format any drive except the usb key for clover.

you make 2 partitions using Disk Utility and have clover on the 2nd part - if your Mobo is UEFI you basically need Clover to boot the mavericks install.

I'd recommend looking into what you need to do to boot

You're partitioning the USB key for CLOVER + MYHACKS - trust me, I've repartitioned and Installed myhacks a few times before I finally got it working. But in the end - it makes for the EASIEST install. just follow the 7000 guide from the start and you'll be golden

when it's talking about myHacks[installer] partition vs clover partition vs target partition:

USB KEY

[Clover] Partition 1:

Name: CLOVER

Contents: Clover.zip from 7000 guide

[installer] Partition 2:

Name: myHack 10.9.2 Install Disk

Contents: myHack Installer made w/ myhacks using an official 10.9.2 AppStore File

Laptop Hard Drive - assuming you're dual booting - and this isn't including and reserved partitions already on your HDD

Partition x: Windows x

[Target] Partition y: Where Mac will be installed to

Ahhh, I see what you're getting at.

When he says format it as Mac OSX Extended-Journaled, he's referring to the target partition, on your laptop's hard drive - where you're planning to install Mac OS X. 

Are you trying to triple boot with Ubuntu and Windows 7?

Either way, whichever partition will be the Mac one is the one that needs to be Partitioned. There's no upgrading here, it's a fresh, clean install. Backup whatever you can, then go ahead with the install

Is there a way to do it with an MBR drive, instead of repartitioning the thing?

I'm really not ready to backup things and try converting to GPT. It's awful.

Is there a fix to that myHack installer error thing?

Holy {censored}, I don't even remember that response.

You can give it a shot? I tried it on mine and it did /not/ like it, plus getting a copy of their Mavericks installer is for donators only.

Is changing BIOS boot to UEFI a possibility?  

-------

What model is your Inspiron 15R:SE?

I'll be satisfied with their 10.8.2 copy, the problem is that my internet connection is extremely slow (My download speed is 50 Kilobytes per sec) so downloading more 5.something GBs is painful.

I can change the BIOS boot to UEFI indeed. Actually that's how it's working right now. However, the drive has to be GPT for UEFI boot to work. That's why my mSATA with GRUB appears on the UEFI boot list but not the SATA drive.

It's 7520, i7-3632QM processor, Intel Graphics 4000 (I'm not sure about that one, maybe it's 4400), and Radeon HD 7730M.

Last time I tried, the partition table itself has to be recreated, deleting all the partitions existing.

I'll try that topic. I guess I may get it to work if I installed clover on the EFI partition on my mSATA. I'm not sure how I can do that, though. I'll let you know how did it go anyway.

I found this link in a thread somewhere and now the error is fixed. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/download/145-mavericks-mbr-patch/

I also went forward with installing it and it actually did start installing, however, I stopped it as it was going to take too much time and I wanted to reformat the Mac OS X partition anyway. I can't do that as neither my touchpad, my wireless mouse, nor even a normal USB mouse I found work.

I guess I'm quite close!

Same thing. Mouse doesn't work.

I've noticed something weird though. According to the verbose debug. It looks like both ApplePS2Controller AND Voodoo one (although the Voodoo kext isn't even there) are loaded. Also, the Trackpad kext prints something like "GlidePoint" or so.

are you talking in /EFI/CLOVER/EXTRA/EXTENSIONS ?

If so, I'd remove the voodoo kexts from your installer usb and then try loading > spacebar > without caches.

rename it to .bak, and i that doesnt work, change Appleps2 to .bak and reset voodoo, then try that

do a full search of your usb to remove/backup the voodoo kexts 

There's completely no kexts named "voodoo" on the USB, neither in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ nor in /System/Library/Extensions. There's no extra/extensions in /EFI/CLOVER. I'm going to try that ApplePS2 thing and report the result.

EDIT: As expected, that didn't work either. However, I searched for the voodoo thing again and I found that the kext inside /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9/, ApplePS2Controller.kext , has VoodooPS2Controller in its Contents/MacOS . I renamed that kext to ApplePS2Controller.kext.bak already and tried booting without cache but that didn't work.

I also noticed that there's another ApplePS2Controller.kext in myHack's partition's /Extra/Extensions/ , so I guess they may be forming some kind of collision or so.