Mac HFS Drive getting damaged sooo easily!

Bandes

39 posts in this topic

Recently went thro a patch of similar disk corruption on my old setup P45-DS4P with Mavericks. With Mountain Lion there was no such problems.. Seems to have been resolved after yanking out 800MHz Ram pair and leaving 1066MHz pair only.. Problems started when joint pairs were clocked at 800 but not at 667.

Yeah, but it still does not make much sense. I have no corruption if i choose restart from OS X. Only if i have to press reset when the UI has crashed where it happens.

I think the problem is about the power cut which happens at BIOS cold resets.

The damage is happening on the folder structure. So there must be some kind of buffering issue. If there are some temp files being opened at the time of reset, somehow the folder structure is kept in an unclean state, and probably that's why it messes up the whole disk. This is my version.

Are you dual booting this on the same hard drive as your windows install?

I was dual booting until Mountain Lion. Now it's only Single booting into Windows.

3 partitions. 1 Windows 1 Mavericks 1 Data Only.

Default is Windows starts.

I have to pull in an USB stick at boot which has Chameleon bootloader to have option to choose Mavericks.

It's safer this way.

Anyway Windows and Data partitions are safe at forced resets. It's only the Mavericks HFS which has got corrupted always.

get a separate hard drive for the Mac install.

cannot afford it.

and just because you think that would solve anything without any meaningful reason i would not do.

it should be working this way too.

what does a windows partition has to do with hfs data corruption on cold resets when it's not even being used or booted from ?

Don't think it. I know it.

Windows has to go onto a NTFS partition and that can mess up any OS you put on any other partition of the same drive.  OS-X won't work on a drive formatted to NTFS. You get two choices for installing OS-X, and neither one is NTFS.

• 3 weeks later...

Windows cannot mess up any partition just. First of all it has to have a driver for that when that is in a foreign format.

It's pretty obvious that Windows wont write any bit on to a partition which it cannot handle.

If it would, that would be a big bug/flaw.

The same goes with Mac. It wont write any bits on ntfs, cause normally it is set to read only mode.

My NTFS partitions never got damaged from OS X. 

HFS partitions did.

Just like 15 minutes ago.

I have reinstalled the system two weeks ago by the way.

And i was stresstesting it once again lately. It seemed like 10.9.1 beta 3 has solved the problem. But i did not test it that deeply at that time.

Now it gave up once again after upgrading to 10.9.1 final. OpenGL Channel Exceptions are still not solved for my Nvidia 9600 GT. I reverted back to 10.9.1 beta 3 to see if that helps anything, but

it didn't. Cannot boot anymore, cause fsck_hfs starts checking the drive, and then it stops at attributes. "Invalid record count". Although i can read the partition, and all folders look ok. Except that it looks like some kext folders might be lost (?) Some things couldn't load at startup anymore. So the russian roulette has struck again. 

I have also changed the Windows HFS driver. From Paragon HFS 9 to Macdrive 9.

This one has HFS repair option also. Which i have been using and it worked now on a few occasions.

But then there was a crash, and i did not repair at first chance, and i kept testing the system.

It looks like the problem has created a chain reaction after a few restarts and kext utility updates.

More info tomorrow.

It seems that your issue is related with your Hdd and sata controller.

Verify what exactly is your sata controller and find a better kext to manage it.

Disk corruption on hfs+ is related with a sw problem , if Windows and data are safe.

BTW try to verify and repair your osx partition from inside osx with disk utility.

Boot USB install and run disk utility.

It seems that your issue is related with your Hdd and sata controller. Verify what exactly is your sata controller and find a better kext to manage it. Disk corruption on hfs+ is related with a sw problem , if Windows and data are safe. BTW try to verify and repair your osx partition from inside osx with disk utility. Boot USB install and run disk utility.

Nothing is wrong my HDD or SATA controller.

Nothing to mess up with that. I have ICH10, the same controller as on real Macs. 

I have more proof that it is hfs and the mac system which is badly designed against sudden power cuts/resets:

Yesterday a reinstalled the system once again. I set up SSH from my laptop, so i can shut down the UI/system when OpenGL freezes up. (sudo shutdown -r now)

I had about 20-30 freezes, but this time no serious data corruption occured.

There were still orphaned files and folders, because most of the time the system could not restart even with this method.

When it did restart, there were no orphaned things. But most of the time it still stopped hanging on shutdown procedure. So i had to push reset still.

But that time disk actions were near finished, so things were not left in such an unclean state as it would if i have pushed reset right away on a freezed UI.

With applications being closed, swapping turned off, and possibly disk unmounted already at that point it is more safe to push reset.

Although orphaned files are still some issue, cause once it was the console log which have been orphaned / lost. It got wiped out. So it can be any file getting orphaned which is opened at that time.

The bigger problem now for me is getting the OpenGL freeze. It's pretty serious. I did try quite a few options yesterday as well, DSDT not used and NVEnabler at the same time.

iMac, MacbookPro, MacPro 3,4,5 SMBios settings. It just doesn't make a difference. It should be some driver bug. 

And it is not fixed with 10.9.1  :(

Now my only hope is that Nvidia makes Mavericks drivers too as it did with ML, and then they fix the issue.

I will might open an other topic about this OpenGL Channel Exception story with my GPU.

Or i might just leave it. I don't think there is a fix for it without a new driver.

I'm curious, are/were you using the "ESB2" DSDT patch for your ICH10?

I have that patch in my DSDT as i know. I will check now.

Internal drives are silver icons, only my PATA drives are orange (those are loaded by the Jmicron driver).

I had all drives in silver until Mountain Lion, but now with Mavericks only the SATA drives are silver.

By the way. I have been testing the newest 10.9.2 beta update with new graphics drivers.

post-38872-0-30259300-1388009194_thumb.png

Graphics still crashing ? YES :(

I had two big freezes while i was downloading 5 gigs of stuff. I had to wait until there was no network traffic anymore and tried a shutdown through ssh. Restart did not work, but luckily no big damage happened to the hfs partition.

Except the usual orphaned files and folders.

The other crash happened while testing 10.9.2 beta.

I also tested slower RAM settings (800Mhz instead of 1066Mhz). Still crashing.

I am pretty sure it's faulty OpenGL drivers.

Look at this video here : http://www.midwesternmac.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/glitchy-video-and-freezes

I am having exactly the same symptoms. My UI crashes in the same fashion.

And that video is about a real Macbook Pro with Nvidia 9400m/9600m gt graphics!

Messages in console changed a bit now with the new graphic drivers:

2013-12-25 01:55:28,000 kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart 
2013-12-25 01:55:28,000 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = Graphics Engine Error (GR Error 5)

The ESB2 patch has been known to cause data loss and/or corruption on some hardware. It's possible that that's what was happening to you.

The only way i got corruption was when doing power cuts / resets. Other than that it looked ok.

But it would be better if there would be no any corruption possible.

So then, is it better to leave that out and have orange icons ?

Now i will have to find my original DSDT setting somewhere.

They said it had only "cosmetic" effects.

Is there an alternative safe way to make the SATA drives look as normal (silver) ?

I have checked it. I have the ESB2 Patch, since i see that kind of device at SATA:

post-38872-0-15806400-1388176145.png

Haven't had the time to change it yet. I will generate a new DSDT and check what's the original setting for the SATA and edit back to my patched one.

post-38872-0-69609000-1388276405_thumb.png

ESB2 Patch removed.

All drives are orange now.

Will test other SATA slots soon other than the currently used 1-2.

Meanwhile i was testing graphics even more.

Removed the Nvidia injection for my card as well from my DSDT.

GraphicsEnabler works without that anyway smoothly.

But crashing is still present sadly. No improvement.

It must be a driver issue.

Still had orphaned files with ICH10 SATA controller set up after the crashes,

but no serious damage for a while luckily. 

It definitely doesn't look worse than it was.

Drives are orange because they are detected as external.

You can use AHCIPortInjector.kext to get "Internal" silver icons. It works great, with the only caveat that you'll lose hotplugging.

If you're using Chameleon, you can also try sata.dylib in /Extra/Modules.

Don't use more than one fix for the same issue at the same time.

Drives are orange because they are detected as external.

You can use AHCIPortInjector.kext to get "Internal" silver icons. It works great, with the only caveat that you'll lose hotplugging.

If you're using Chameleon, you can also try sata.dylib in /Extra/Modules.

Don't use more than one fix for the same issue at the same time.

Thanks!

I am happy now with the orange icons. Stability is most important.

I might try sata.dylib, but i would love to see my pata drives as silver then.

Now everything is orange, which is kind of consistent looking :) .